BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org - freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers, report fake threads.

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall.html
launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/
freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html
vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man4/radeon.4
freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-partitioning.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

How viable is *BSD as a programming environment for less common languages? Was specifically thinking Erlang

UTTER SHITE
T
T
E
R

S
H
I
T
E

Bump

If BSD doesn't support SMP is it better to just run it in KVM on Linux using 1 core and then setup distcc and clang on the Linux host?

Nevermind I'll just run Linux.

Bsd supports smp you dumb weeb

openbsd seems to have an erlang port

Can I install FreeBSD on an old iBook G3 Snow?

Or, what might be a guide to installing on a flash drive for another old Dell netbook I have?

I also came across something like an SD Card install. My netbook DOES have an SD reader. What about a guide for that?

It should be possible to install on either.

If you want to install via flash drive make sure your system supports that and write the designated disk image to a flash drive. The CD disc images don't work on flash drives I think.

>The CD disc images don't work on flash drives I think.
Oh wait it might work on FreeBSD. I know OpenBSD has two separate images for either method but it looks like FreeBSD only has SD card images for single board computers.

So, is there a guide for SD card?

And if I'm on Windows, how would I format a 64GB exFAT SD card to UFS?

Is there a program I can use?

The designated SD card images are for single board computers. If you just want to install FreeBSD on one of those computers from an SD card you can just follow the guide on the site

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall.html

Make sure the computer supports booting from USB though, the netbook probably supports it but the iBook might not

Anyone here used GhostBSD? I see it's usually ignored in these threads

for your purpose use the memstick.img file and follow the guide for the memory stick

Just switch to Linux already

Ok, I'll try that one.

But, how will I format the SD card as UFS if I'm on Windows?

The memstick.img file contains the complete filesystem including all of the installer files. All you have to do is write the image to a flash drive and it will overwrite whatever is there.

They recommend using image writer on windows:
launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html

Be careful not to overwrite anything important though.

>launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/
>freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html
Thanks!
That'll be perfect; I'll try it out

>Be careful not to overwrite anything important though.
Well, I'll either be doing this on an unopened SD card or one of the flash drives I just ordered, so no worries there
(I bought several SD cards to store videos, but I haven't been using them nearly as much as I though, so I got like 256GB unopened)

I'll decide if I wanna use the flash or the card when the flashes arrive on like Thursday

Um, just wondering b/c I happened across another download option.

Would PCBSD or FreeBSD be better? The PCBSD USB download is like 4GB, whereas the FreeBSD one only is like 86MB.

Does FreeBSD not have a desktop environment by default?

it doesn't

freebsd is mostly a server OS by default

also i thought PCBSD was dead and replaced by TrueOS

Oh, ok.

I'll go with PCBSD, then.

I can still follow the same install instructions, right?
With that image writer linked above?

FreeBSD is only the "base system", it's a command line based OS by default. You'll have to install X.org and a desktop environment or window manager after install but it's not very difficult. PC-BSD/TrueOS has a lot of other stuff but it might not be for everyone.

Wait, PCBSD is dead?
I'll look at TrueOS, then.

What Desktop Environment would I want to go with if I stuck with the FreeBSD install on its own, though?

people mostly use WMs but xfce is pretty good/portable

You can use whatever they're all pretty different.

I use xfce because it has everything I want out of a desktop environment plus it works on everything I've used(GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD).

There's also MATE which is similar to xfce but works differently. I find MATE less flexible as far as configuration.

PC-BSD/TrueOS uses the lumina desktop environment which is still a bit "unrefined", it has lower system requirements though.

KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon are on the heavier side and may not work well with lower spec systems.

Ok, I looked at that on section 5.7 just now.

But, it also suggests Gnome or KDE.

Assuming I have 2GB of RAM and an Atom N450 processor, would I have trouble running Gnome or KDE?

And can you give me a few differences between the 3 and why one might be better than the other?

What about these specs:

I wouldn't recommend GNOME3 or KDE4/5. I'm not sure how cinnamon would fair but it's got a lot of graphical effects and shit that would probably lag.

In addition to these there's also LXDE and LXQT which are lightweight DEs. They don't have many applications with them just a few of the more crucial ones. The difference between LXDE and LXQT is that the latter uses the Qt widget toolkit and it's likely going to replace the former at some point. Right now they're managed seperately

you'd have a lot of trouble with either gnome or kde on an atom

Hmmm.

I'll decide between either a straight install of TrueOS or using FreeBSD/X/XFCE then.

Since this would be my first actual attempt of BSD, I'm kinda leaning towards TrueOS, though.
Does TrueOS have most of the utility applications I might want, and is there a web browser it comes with?

Ok, I won't use Gnome/KDE

I'll look into those, but I'm thinking I'll do TrueOS with its Lumina.
Unless there's a reason that might not be the best option? Is there?

I am trying to also make sure that this is kinda a bit more than an intro experience, but not one that basically launches me all the way into space before I can really even walk.

No 6.0 CD in the mail for me today. ;_;

Lumina is a DE written from scratch by the PC-BSD/TrueOS devs and it's still a bit new so it looks bad imo, at least right now. It's being actively developed so it will probably improve in the future but for now I don't think I could use it.

why would i use a generic linux clone?

Hmmm

Is there a way to install TrueOS and then just replace Lumina?

This is bait but I'll bite. BSD is nothing like Linux.

I'll try it with Lumina, first, actually.
Some of the pics looks nice, IMO.

I'm just wondering if I could replace if I don't like it after a while.

... lol, just no.

How do I impress this qt I know that uses BSD?

Also how does wayland look on the BSDs right now?

is her name randi

please avoid if so

no no no, I know better than that

also dfly has a preliminary wayland support

Because it's slower and supports less software, on top of crashing all the time. What's not to love?

>randi
>her

It's slower because of integrated cryptography. It supports less software because the developers prefer to make their own and they only port well written software that's secure. BSD crashes all the time, what the fuck? This is a first for me.

My sides!

My shitposts!

Replaced my FreeBSD server with OpenBSD after reading this page yesterday.

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt

What a crock of shit the FreeBSD security team is.

At least be more subtle in your shilling.

Do all of the same linux window managers work in BSD? i3, Fluxbox, Openbox, Awesome, etc? If I don't need any proprietary stuff, would most of my everyday applications work?

Does openbsd support AMD cards? If yes does all 2D support work well? HD video? I don't need gaming obviously but need it to work well for desktop use.

All the ones you listed work

yes to both, mostly

On FreeBSD, yes - in theory (the bridge is actually kinda wonky though).
On other non-FreeBSD-based BSDs, no. For example, some depend on systemd which is linux-only, and some might require patches to work in BSD environments. However, the main ones are typically available in the ports tree.

Popular linux software like firefox, window managers etc. work on BSD's.

Yes, they support them very well. Currently they support all AMD cards up to the R9 series (390, Fury, Nano etc).

Basically if the application doesn't mess with the kernel itself it should be possible to port it to BSDs with few modifications. It might even work with no modifications and just need to be recompiled.

OpenBSD is not as far along as the Linux kernel with AMD graphics. OpenBSD supports up to the first GCN cards I think.

Nope. Go check their manpages, they support all AMD cards up to the R9 series.

radeon(4) mentions up to Hawaii which is the r9 290(x)

man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man4/radeon.4

The rest of the r9 series is based on the hawaii architecture.

I have a bonaire r7 260x. Bonaire is there, but it says 7790. AFAIK they're the same card but rebranded. I should be okay?

i was burnt by the xorg pages once

i dont think you can trust them

Not sure.

openbsd """documentation""" in a nutshell.

yeah lets rewrite all the documentation for Xorg

i'll wait

X is an outside project they don't really get to control as much there. They provide patches to make X less prone to security issues but they can't really rewrite it's documentation.

Of course they can, in exactly the same way.

then you go first

Sure, just give me the development build.

cvsweb.openbsd.org
have fun keeping it synched with upstream

Guys I need help with OpenBSD, any BSD experts here????????

Install gentoo.

Can BSD be my gf?

not an expert but it would help if you actually said what the problem was

Everything from Go, Python, Ruby, Haskell, Rust, Erlang, OCaml, the JVM, and many others all run on OpenBSD swimmingly. GCC (soon LLVM) and Perl are in base.

Do you use BSD as your primary desktop operating system? Is it difficult to transition to it if you have experience with gentoo?

i'd say openbsd makes for an alright desktop

i want a laptop just so i can run it on there though

Does openbsd come with Xorg installed already?

Right now I wouldn't use it as a primary desktop just because the software selection is rather small. It's well suited for browsing the internet, being a firewall, a server, and maybe playing back media like music and videos though. Video games and other proprietary software is basically out of the question though. When vmm/vmd are enabled by default it should be possible to run whatever OS you want under it so that will expand its usefulness considerably.

yeah it does, you can unselect it but Xorg is mostly part of the base system

OpenBSD ships with a special build of X with mitigations added called Xenocara. It works the same but it runs with fewer privileges and is more secured against malicious software.

Glad to see I'm not the only OpenBSD fan on Sup Forums these days.

After OpenBSD took on OpenSSL with their LibreSSL fork I started to pay more attention to them. I've known about the BSDs for a while but until that time I never really paid much attention to them.

Ok, I'm the guy from earlier who wants to use an SD card install of TrueOS.

I just put it on an SD card, but the problem that came up is:
It wants to install on a hard drive, and it exits whenever a drive is not detected.

How do I get it to RUN off the SD card?
This PC is notorious for burning out drives. I do NOT want to install it on a disk.

How do I go about that?

I think in OpenBSD you could literally just point the installer to a USB drive and it would work. Don't know about FreeBSD/TrueOS.

I think it should work the same for FreeBSD but I've never tried it.

Basically just get another flash drive or SD card and point the installer to that drive.

hmmm...
do you know what command i'd need to sue for that?

I'm kinda trying this to /GET INTO/ UNIX.
So, I have limited experience with the CLI interface of it, other than like 1 class I took in Linux

Hmmmm.... could I possibly create another partition on the SD Card and point it to THAT?

I want it on the SD Card itself, because it's 64GB.

If not, I'll just wait for my new 32GB USB sticks to come and try there on like Thursday.

=/

It *should* be possible I think but it might complicate things a bit. There should be plenty of unallocated space after the installer image where you could create partitions for FreeBSD and then you can install to there.

You'll have to use the partitioning tool in FreeBSD.

Ok, here's what it shows for
>gpart show da0
>3 (long num) da0 GPT (59G) [corrupt]
^^ I'm wagering a guess this might be the issue... but idk if I can proceed anyway
>3 1600 1 efi (800K)
>1603 125 2 FreeBSD-boot (63K)
>1728 (long num) 3 FreeBSD-ufs (1.7G)
>(long num) 2048 4 FreeBSD-swap (1.0M)
>(long num) (really long num) [no number] - free - (58G)

Any idea how to proceed?

Ok, I checked a thing, and it says to use da0 as the last param for all of these apparently.

But when I do:
>gpart add -s 50G -t FreeBSD-ufs da0
it says "table 'da0' is corrupt: Operation not permitted"

I believe the installer image is the 1.7GB UFS volume, the swap space is used for temporary paging and not completely necessary.

You already have four partitions apparently so you'll have to delete one of those to make room on the disk. I'm pretty sure you can delete the swap space with little worry. Then it should be possible to create a primary partition that takes up all of the free space.

Ok, I just did that and added a new 58G partition in FreeBSD-ufs.

The installer is still not detecting any drives, though.

how would I point the installer to that partition in the command line?

Did you assign the root mount point ( / ) to the new partition?

Also make sure the other partitions aren't assigned a mount point. You wont really need the installer after the install but you'll probably need it during the install.

Ummm. no I have not.

How do I do that?

The only thing accepting input other than installers that just fail is the emergency shell

What command would I use to mount the new partition?

It's partition 4 on da0; what would be the syntax for that

modify, i'd assume

Well somehow get back to this menu in the partitioning tool and go to modify and there should be an option in there to assign a mount point.

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-partitioning.html

Make sure you read through the guide it goes through this stuff.

This menu wasn't included in my installer; I'm doing TrueOS

there IS a /dev/da0p4, though.
Can I do anything since I have access to that?

Alternatively, if I DID just go with a base of FreeBSD, would I be able to connect to the internet with my NIC immediately, so I can access the stuff needed to install X and XFCE?

I do have the regular FreeBSD available if I need to.

But, before I resort to that, IS there a way to do that?

For reference, b/c I'm not sure how clear I was:
I have a SINGLE media device (SD Card) with 4 partitions. I want to install from the installer partition into another partition and then delete the installer partition