Why would anyone use not-rolling-release?

Why would anyone use not-rolling-release?

My Arch: newest kernel, same for GCC, same for Python and many, many other packages

Explain this shit 3.x kernel Debian fags

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/search?suite=sid§ion=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=linux-image-4.7
linux.palemoon.org/
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/260989/arch-linux-grub-installation-error-airootfs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not even a debian user, but you fags don't even use most of the new stuff that comes with the kernel. If it works, why rush into upgrading? It's like buying the latest iphone because you gotta have the latest cool thing.

servers

Okay, kernel is just a cool shiny thing for me. But when I try to f.e install Python (which I need), the newest Python, then I actually have to go into downloading some archives and then configuring/making them instead of anypackagemanager python -y and all set and done

>Why would anyone use not-rolling-release?
Doing actual productive work you seething retard NEET.

I've got $$$ worth of contract jobs that need to be done in a timely fashion year in and year out. No hobby OS is worth burning cash up-time.

You can block kernel updates for months, that's not this parameter which crash your Arch.

Arch is shit.
Gentoo is far superior if you want bleeding edge a distro.

Gentoo is not that bleeding edge, but you do have better versioning with it.

As an Arch user myself, I urge you to kill yourself. You are the embodiment of the memes these faggots thrive upon.

>"rolling release"
>"bleeding edge"
>buzzwords

Archfags are absolute fucking cancer.

Because I can write scripts to grab the latest programs I need, and only need someone to take care of security update.

>latest gcc
enjoy your broken aur

reliability above all, arsch-boi

2 words: debian testing.

>unironically using python

From what I know, Gentoo uses the developer version of firefox, Arch uses the normal release.

Gentoo had Linux 4.7.2 about two weeks before Arch.

Gentoo has emacs 25.1 in it's main repo, Arch uses the stable release.

It also has '9999' versions, which are the newest, unreleased versions of the package.

Yeah, you can just globally use unstable masked packages and you have a distro so bleeding edge that it breaks everywhere.

>Explain this shit 3.x kernel Debian fags
packages.debian.org/search?suite=sid§ion=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=linux-image-4.7

However why are you not compiling your own kernel, Arch expert?

>However why are you not compiling your own kernel, Arch expert?

What? Where's that in the Arch Wiki? xD

>However why are you not compiling your own kernel, Arch expert?
That's only possible on Gentoo, newfag

Any os can be upgraded on a constant level. From the userland packages down to the kernel.

Ahem,..... Slackware?

You can, and people do, compile their own kernels on any distribution.

Thats right.

>Gentoo uses the developer version of firefox
you probably set bindist and some USE to disable proprietary icons

I can only imagine developers really getting something from using a rolling-release. Anyone else is just showing off.

Maybe that's just my bias. Actually, yeah it is.

Arch users are seriously just a bunch of cunts.

But it won't install them by default.

>Updating
>Firefox no longer support add-ons

> 2016, arch
> not using zen/ck

Zen is discontinued

To be fair to Archfaggots, this goes for 99% of "features" people gloat about with their distros.

How many people honestly need Debian stability, Gentoo optimisation or Arch muh bleeding edge faggotry on a desktop where they're just going to set an anime wallpaper, listen to music and play with toy code anyway?

Does this actually happens?

Damage control.

Gentoo > arch in every way.

>Explain this shit 3.x kernel Debian fags
I have 4.6.0 kernel on Debian testing
Kill yourself

Do you know ? You can rollback easily with selecting archives in your pacman.conf.

I have 4.7 on sid.

>You can rollback easily with selecting archives in your pacman.conf
That's if you had downgrade, and the update haven't bricked your OS.

I have to agree with this gentleman. But only in the context of the average Sup Forumstard. Give a teenager an audience and you will see some pretty retarded shit. Give a basement dwelling teenager an audience and you, yourself,may question why God allows such sickness to exist.

Because having few updates and standard, dependable behaviour is a feature

But I do run Gentoo

>Ignoring arch-chroot exists...
Sorry boy, fixing a bug with oldest version of kernel drivers and systemd takes only 10 minutes.

Then please accept my humble apologies and continue on the path of power.

Teach me senpai.

No it's not.

Read documentation Arch Wiki, that's all I can to do for your support

nu-male the thread

>Because having few updates and standard, dependable behaviour is a feature

This. There is a large segment of users who just want their computer to run reliably. Linux isn't a hobby for everyone some people actually use it to do work.

Uh, for stability...

Because..

Arch also has a testing repository

The only reason for using arch is getting the latest open source stack for amdgpu.

All these memes about Arch are ridiculous. I feel like it's the exact opposite.

I have used Debian before I switched to Arch and had much more trouble with it than I do now with Arch.
Pretty much everything I need I can download from the user repositories if it's not in the official repository. Not so with Debian; a lot of the programs I use aren't in the repository and I had to use the generic linux installers where I had to manage the user data myself.
After using it for over a year now, an update has never broken my system -- in contrast to updating in Debian.

Besides the installation, absolutely nothing is "hardcore" about Arch. Especially because of the well-maintained wiki, I think it's a great distribution for semi-beginners that actually want to improve their knowledge about GNU/Linux.

>a lot of the programs I use aren't in the repository
Name one.

2 year arch user. The only thing to fix is the mesa-git that sometime broke and i need to downgrade to stable. Usually my ubuntu last for 1 month because i found some package that fuck the things up. Last time, so funny. The dev included as mandatory the nvidia blob driver and the system installed it on my AMD system. So funny trying to remove all the shit.

PaleMoon, TeamViewer, Telegram, MegaSync, puush.
Pretty much everything that's neither in the Arch repos but in the user repos.

the first time i used ubuntu i got a silent miner because of how shitty its repos are

now im 6 months on Arch and nothing has occured

Gentoo/funtoo does rolling release right. Seriously. Using arch when they exist is silly.

>cancer
>buzzwords
:^)

>TeamViewer
non-free
>MegaSync
non-free
>Telegram
non-free
>PaleMoon
linux.palemoon.org/
Official Debian repository

>non-free
>he thinks that literally every proprietary application is malware

Non-free software is slavery

Explain why exactly you think so.

Yes, they are non-free, however, I need them regularly. The only program I could get rid of -- in case there is a better alternative -- is TeamViewer, which is a remnant from my past on Windows.

>>Telegram
>non-free
how you that dumb?

>That's only possible on Gentoo, newfag
I compiled the mainline kernel with pf patches on Ubuntu and use it as my daily driver
You can compile anything on any distro provided you have a slight idea of what you're doing

You're dependent on the proprietary software vendor to implement any changes you might want.

Disassembly and reverse engineering of proprietary software is possible but ridiculously more elaborate than just changing source code.
Porting it yourself is practically impossible.

You're subject to the will of the proprietary master, much like a slave is subject to the will of their master.

More like given a new iPhone seeing as how the updates are free

Using 4.4 kernel on Stretch

Because they're running a server that hosts their web app, website, or business programs and their time is valuable to them, because they have a fucking job or business to run.

>improve their knowledge about linux
yeah you mean jerking off on IRC right? debian based respects your time and employability. linux and any operating system is supposed to be transparent so you can run your programs.

Arch is cancer.
Literally the worst meme spawned on Sup Forums because at leas people who tried to install gentoo had to learn something.

There isn't a single Archfag that isn't an insuferable edgy kid.

>muh AUR.
>muh bleeding edge.

There is absolutely zero reason the Arch installation couldn't be 100% automated with a point and click gooey.

Tried installing arch, vi isnt installed so cant edit config files
I cant do it the way I'm used to with ubuntu

What do?

Use nano.

Fedora has up to date software and is easy to upgrade your distro without being a broken mess and a huge timesink like Arch.

But Fedora gives you zero street cred in the cool kids of Sup Forums club

Re-read the wiki, you dingus. I quote directly from the Installation page under Pre-Installation: "To edit configuration files, nano, vi and vim are available."

What did he mean by this

Forrealzies what did i do wrong

Nvm, fixed it

are you karly kloss?

Just give up, you are too stupid.

I agree but whats the issue here

You're posting from a capsizing ship. Man the life boats!

Arch user here, ask me anything

Truth.

Im
Whats the best suicide option

You should do this inside the chroot my man

My dad got in a motorcycle wreck :(

I tried, same error message

I'm sorry user, is he okay?

mom said he broke his nose, she's gonna be really mad at him because he didn't sleep the last 2 days and she told him to not ride his motorcycle but he did anyway

I just googled your problem but it says what I said.
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/260989/arch-linux-grub-installation-error-airootfs

Well, at least it's only a broken nose. Many motorcyclists end up paralyzed after accidents.

Sometimes I want the latest security updates, but since I'm in the middle of a project, I don't want a major update that can potentially break my system. In that case, Debian/Cent OS is the way to go for a workstation.

Any idea why it happens in chroot as well?

Did you use chroot or arch-chroot? Also are you sure you did all the steps in the guide, I mean do you have a working install in the chroot?

Good, now commit suicide

This, when something new comes out i just go get that source code as opposed to reinventing the whole system.

Some good things come out of Arch but i'm not a huge fan of using mirrors for binaries, not just arch but if someone has a broken mirror or some dependency isn't handled right, or just some third party code gets in i have to spend time cleaning shit up.

I have never heard of third party code getting in. Aren't the packages signed? How does that happen?

I'm more talking about rpm's and redhat with that, pretty sure they have md5's sigs or something with arch, correct me if i'm wrong. Regardless it still is a step from the upstream developer code. Compiling also gives you options on how you want to build it, where, ect. then i just make a package from that.