Vulkan appreciation thread

Rest in piece Vulkan

DirectX will not have competition for many years, unlike when OpenGL was actually on par.
We have to depend on microsoft's directx for now on

>DX12 games instantly work in xbone without hard work porting them
>rendering team for DICE/Frostbite who originally pushed Mantle (early Vulkan) moved on to DX12
>gaming in linux will be only badly done OpenGL ports
we belong to microsoft if we want high performance gaming

Other urls found in this thread:

lunarg.com/vulkan-sdk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>OpenGL
>On par

Name 10 well know modern games using OpenGL

Shame games are shit.

>xbox
>haha
>xbox
>seriously?
>why?

Game developers are no real developers!
And all these retards who use shits like unity3d, they are pathetic.

>unlike when OpenGL was on par
>WHEN OpenGL was on par
>not a single mention to RECENT TIMES
do you add words to sentences in your head?
it was around 2005 or a bit later when directX completely surpassed OpenGL, since openGL was too focused in compatibility and too little focus on performance

massive fucking shill

Isn't pees4 using vulkan?

Nobody cares about xbox really.

OpenGL is already on par with DirectX

Vulkan isn't better than OpenGL, its just a different API optimized for less driver overhead which only matters if you are CPU bound, and only if the workload benefits from it.

tl;dr developers don't need to switch to Vulkan because OpenGL does the same fucking thing.

>pushed Mantle (early Vulkan)
Mantle is early DX12 as much as early Vulkan. AMD gave input for both. Core principles are the same

>gaming in linux will be only badly done OpenGL ports
Wrong, it will be DX12 shims for Vulkan. A DX12 to Vulkan library would have minimal impact for performance if any.

>OpenGL is already on par with DirectX

LoL!!

I know, its ludicrous to compare the two because DirectX only supports like 2 platforms. OpenGL already runs on everything.

So this is why Microsoft was pushing Windows 10 so hard. If people stayed on Windows 7, Vulkan would be a strong contender even on Windows, allowing developers to support more PC platforms (most Windows versions + Linux) with a non-Microsoft API.

I also like how Apple thought they had a strong enough market position to push their own API (Metal). Which may be true on mobile platforms, but not so much on the desktop. OS X 10.11 is still stuck on OpenGL 4.1 (which came out in 2010). To put this in perspective, Linux opensource drivers, written without (or with little) hardware manufacturer support are on 4.3.

>Microsoft was pushing Windows 10 so hard
Agreed, also 50% of Steam users already use Windows 10, plus the Xbox One users, plus the fact that the PS4 use other APIs, put Vulkan development in a dire situation.

To be fair, that statement is objectively false. OpenGL is in no way on par with DirectX. But that's okay since it never set out to be.
However, OpenGL is on par with Direct3D, a subset of DirectX dealing with 3D graphics (DirectX also deals with various other things, like input, sound, etc.)

None of that would matter if Vulcan actually had proper SDK. Nothing comes even close to VS.

n...no, user

:|
lol k you are right of course but you know I meant the use of SDL is heavily implied.

What do you mean by VS? Visual Studio? That's not a SDK, that's an IDE.
Vulkan does have a SDK: lunarg.com/vulkan-sdk/

vulkan is extremely complex and has a loong learning curve.

OpenGL 4.3 (where compute shaders are added) is the best middle ground right now. It performs great. But Fagbooks don't support it and new os x will still stay at opengl 4.1. RIP apple.

as with anything, given time a greater % of the market will support it

Doom and every source game on Linux

>Gamers comparing OpenGL to Direct3D even though they never even wrote a single line of code with either API
>DirectX is betta becuz AAA games
Okay

welcome to /vg/

Literally every game made with unity and unreal.

aren't some companies porting their game engines to linux using vulkan like cry engine or unity ?

You need to be at least 18 to post here.

Unreal already has Vulkan support.

Yes. Although the main issue is with drivers right now.

Unity and unreal already support both opengl and Vulkan. Porting to Linux should be as easy as pushing a button.

Do you know how to greentext or just shitpost uncontrollably

Ummm.... unfortunately, no.
There's still this one tiny problem of external libraries.
You know, things like physics engines (Havok, PhysX), sound systems (FMOD, Miles), various other widely used bits (SpeedTree, Scaleform).
Their support for Linux is theoretically there, just not always reliable. Or you know... working at all.

XCOM 2 for GNU+Linux uses Scaleform and PhysX.

FMOD is also widely used by many games for the GNU+Linux platform.

It's a great performance for microsoft! Congratulation!
They finally understand smartphone is for dummy teens and they finally focus on something other than azure.

If I was developing a high-end 3d game right now with a homegrown engine i'd probably just use vulkan.

Yes vulkan seems to be less retarded than dx12.
It's insane how microsoft performs in making absurd/shitty things.

DX12 is literally a slightly tweaked Mantle, and Vulkan is like the 3.0 revision of Mantle, so of course Vulkan was going to be better, it was developed on top of Mantle and DX12's mistakes.

Lol who fucking cares? Every game produced in the latest 10 years is fucking terrible

Wait, did it die?
Seemed pretty fine last time I looked. Frequent commits on github, general excitement about it.
Sure, not many games, but it's still being developed, both drivers and the protocol itself. The first version was literally to get open-source community into the game (i.e. improve bug finding and have lots of people read through the protocol), I thought.

Vulkan runs on Android which easily dwarfs the marketshare of every other OS and of the three major consoles
afaik Sony is will keep using their in house low level API

SDL2 / GLFW / Allegro5 can already do everything directx does crossplatform

>using directx / direct3d in 2016

I only have xp using the gl api

No it's one of those MS fanboy threads. Vulkan is alive.

the genealogy is a little more complicated than that.

For the xbone, MS made DX11.X presumably with the help of AMD, and it included the major concepts like draw bundles sent through queues.

AMD's release of Mantle probably has more to do with MS sitting on the 11.X design and keeping it out of the PC space than anything, and MS's release of DX12 just a reaction to keep devs from jumping off their API set.

The way all the new API's do things isn't really that innovative, since it's essentially the same driver model structure as you see in other high performance peripherals like enterprise NICs with stack bypass, etc.