/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

tesco.com/direct/blaupunkt-49-1480-full-hd-49-inch-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/139-1092.prd?skuId=139-1092
amazon.fr/gp/product/B01DPAQSW0
amazon.fr/gp/product/B019JWZCOS
amazon.fr/gp/product/B00GHALF2Y/
wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/internet.connection
superuser.com/a/742256
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That computer is mainly going to be used for internet browsing so upgrading it seems like a waste (unless I really have to), just wondering if the slowness is because some of the hardware parts are old at this point or if it's just software problems that'll be solved by a clean install and some preformance tweaks

Degredation of system performance is usually due to cumulative system bloat and/or fragmentation on a HDD
If your CPU temps are very high it might be thermally throttling, but otherwise hardware issues just make stuff crash or not work at all rather than just slow down.
Getting an SSD on an old machine isn't a huge waste since you could always move it to a different computer easily.

Is it viable to invest on a server to stream content to a shit laptop? (Assuming internet is not a problem)

I'm planning to use this tv as a monitor potentially, how can I find the response time?

>tesco.com/direct/blaupunkt-49-1480-full-hd-49-inch-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/139-1092.prd?skuId=139-1092

Maybe

My computer has been crashing lately, is my PSU fucked?

>Pic related

Anyone have experience BIOS flashing Maxwell GPUs and have a link to a guide that works ?

I want to enable fanless mode on my 960, but nvflash gets angry when I try to flash my tweaked BIOS.

Can i solder upgrades to a macbook air?

What happens if I stick the leads of a standard 3.5mm green LED in an american power outlet?

rarely is things getting/feeling slower is caused by the hardware actually becoming slower
most computer hardware either works perfectly or not at all

it's always a combination of various other factors, such as;
- higher expectations (using faster hardware might make you perceive your hardware as feeling slower, even if it's really unchanged)
- hdd fragmentation
- software/OS configuration or issues (more things starting on boot, running more things at once, etc)
- newer software that has higher requirements
- newer websites/media/services which have higher requirements (such as a website using heavier javascript, or switching up from watching SD videos to HD videos)
and so on

Why do you want a custom bios?

Yes, but it's hard as fuck, in the newer ones its almost impossible

A pretty light show

Literally said in my post that I want to enable fanless mode on my 960, it's not enabled on my model out of the box.

I guess it'd be nice to set my overclocks directly in its BIOS too so it's not controlled by an external program, but that might be too complicated to mess with.

borgers :DDDD

They will burn so quickly you won't even see them flashing. They are not going to explode if that's what you want to know

i wouldn't recommend holding the led with your fingers

Lost the charger for my 5v 350mA hair clipper, is there anywhere i could buy one for cheap?

Pretty much any phone charger if you have a spare lying around

Yeah, I should've figured, thank you

Any recommendation for a low-requirement free antivirus? I h ave a feeling my current one and the browser are the things that consume the most.

>Any recommendation for a low-requirement free antivirus?
Windows Defender.

I just booted my pc after a third try. First 2 tries was my motherboard failing to boot (my indication is the motherboard lights) while the fans for case, cpu and gpu spun. I unplugged the usb that I used for charging my cellphone and waited for a while then it booted. I'm afraid Sup Forums. I just built this 3 months ago. I have a 550w psu and a 1070 amp extreme, which should have about 100w room to move around

>Any recommendation for a low-requirement free antivirus?
common sense 2017 alpha 3
or clamwin/clam sentinel if you need to soothe the paranoia

Avast

So if i buy this

amazon.fr/gp/product/B01DPAQSW0

And this

amazon.fr/gp/product/B019JWZCOS

And that

amazon.fr/gp/product/B00GHALF2Y/

I can plug the mic into any computer right ?

How do I secure my computer/data when browsing on public wifi?

VPN

What's a good linux command for inserting a specific line AT THE TOP of a file?
Something like echo "A specific header" >> file_to_be_headed.extension
Only instead of echo, it has to be something that puts it at the top instead of at the bottom.

I guess but that's a lot of shit just to get a mediocre mic working

Maybe xargs?

Mic is what this very thread recommended

Give me something better if you know it

I downloaded a album in FLAC but it's the entire album in one single file. I understand I can use a program that will use the .cue file to split it into individual songs. What Windows program should I use?

Is there an app/software/website to send pictures to another person without third-parties seeing it?

How to know if someone on my network is using up the bandwidth?

Like imgur, sli.mg, or Dropbox?

Or do you not want people (mods/admins) on those websites/services being able to see if they felt like looking?

If so make a passworded zip file and then make it into a torrent file and seed it to your friend long enough for him to download it.

rust or go?
i want to make some simple desktop programs, and i liked the whole cargo thing.
Both can be compiled to run without having to install anything else on the user's pc right?
Which one has more/better libraries?
Which one would you reccommend?

C++

anyone here a LaTex wiz? I have huge problems with biber that is ranting about a wrong biblatex controlfile version.

I have biber 2.5
BCF is currently on 3.0 and according to the Error it should be 3.1

How do I update my bcf ? I installed TexLive via the internetsite (downloaded the whole package).

I'm going to learn that separately, i want another one just to try something new. I'm sure I will eventually need a library that rust/go doesn't have and then i will go back to c++

I mean like whatsapp but ''safe''. I'm not sure if whatsapp is safe, is it?

And by safe I mean encrypted.

This shit is driving me nuts, basically I have this weird modem/router (I don't really know the difference) that has my ISP's shitty firmware, I heard about OpenWrt but I can't for the life of me configure this shit properly. The shitty firmware one uses "PPPoE" with a user and password to connect but I have no idea how to configure the same way in OpenWrt, can anyone help me out? i don't have any extra modem/routers just this one with the line and wired into my PC

see if your router has a bandwidth monitor, if it doesn't install a firmware or get a router that does

using PPPoE means it's has a modem, if it also has an ethernet port, then (likely) it's also a router
most consumer "routers" or "modems" are actually both a router and a modem in one unit
check out;
wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/internet.connection

setting up openwrt won't be quite as simple as your original firmware, as a lot of things were pre-configured in your original firmware with defaults suited for what your ISP/country typically uses. openwrt is designed for many more use cases, and isn't even always used to connect to the internet, so there's no "one click" way to set it up how your original firmware was

whatsapp is end-to-end encrypted now.

But it's possible to use the openwrt just as my "modem" firmware right? like just connecting directly to the internet and having wireless like my old firmware? I tried adding a new pppoe interface with the web UI, added the user and pass and shit but it didn't connect, should I activate the bridge from lan to wan (ppoe thing) together?

Also the link you posted... I already tried one of those CLI tutorials, got stuck at "/etc/init.d/br2684ctl start"

br2684ctl is not found in init.d every time.

how do i get windows 10 to snap apps when in portrait mode?

When I log onto my router, I was surprised to see that it doesn't actually have any options for logging traffic.

If I want to log the traffic of other computers using my router, do I need to use some third party garbage?

Between windows 3.1 and windows 7 microsoft stopped using numbers
so how did they came to the conclusion that windows 7 was the 7th ? heres my theory
- Windows 1.0
- Windows 2.0
- Windows 3.0
- Windows 3.1
- Windows 3.11 For Workgroups
- Windows 95/98/ME (Windows 4 )
- Windows 2000 Professional (Windows 5)
- Windows XP Professional (Windows 6)
- Windows Vista (not that different from win7)
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1 (9 ?)
- Windows 10

>But it's possible to use the openwrt just as my "modem" firmware right?

If that box is responsible for both connecting you to the outside world, and broadcasting wifi around your house, then it is both your modem and your router. We call the combination a gateway.

I found a deal for kindle paperwhite 2, a little over half the price of a new paperwhite 3
Should I go for it?

Windows vista used Windows NT kernel version 6.0
So they numbered the next windows "7" but kept the NT kernel at 6.1

It would be more accurate to say that you picked a router with garbage firmware, and if you're lucky then some badass alternative firmware has been made for it so you don't have to go out and spend 3x as much to get a router with some decent features.

(only counting consumer versions)
1.x = 1.x
2.x = 2.x
3.x = 3.x
95 = 4.0
98 = 4.1
ME = 4.9
XP = NT 5.1
Vista = NT 6.0
7 = NT 6.1 (uh huh)

basically, MS counted 9x as a group
1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 3
9x = 4
xp = 5
vista = 6
7 = 7

I just want to encrypt my traffic

will running a local network VPN on a VM on my laptop before routing to the gateway work the same as a VPN from a remote server?

What kinda shit can I put on my desk to make it look comfy?

I don't have any family photos.

What's the point of the VM?

the VM is a dedicated OpenVPN container

What do you think, will this new Win server Nano be available on rPi 3?

Other than this?

The problem is that pretty much all tutorials assume I have more than one equipment instead of just the modem, this one for example
superuser.com/a/742256

"this should be the network port connected to the your ISP modem", what is my "ISP modem"? I only have one modem and it's the one openwrt is installed on. How do I google this properly

My phone automatically turns the volume down to half every so often, and won't let me turn it back up until I click OK on a window reminding me of the dangers of hearing loss.

Any way I can disable it?

Android 5.0.2 - Xperia Z2

I don't even use headphones with my phone, it's always the 3.5mm in the car or bluetooth with a portable speaker.

I mean what are you imagining the benefit of running that inside a VM is vs just setting it up on a tap adapter in the host system like normal?

Anything that's 5V, and at least 350ma.

That's the most common shit you can find, phone chargers, usb ports, wall warts.

what's the point of this?

plus what's the point of using vpn to your gateway??

Mostly people just flash firmware on routers, not combo gateways. What's your model?

Root your brick and install "xposed installer"

Search the module that disables the volume danger popup

but where is windows 2000 then
and i thought windows vista and 7 were almost identical in the core despite the visual differences

Shit, got distracted by picture

That was meant for

>Mostly people just flash firmware on routers, not combo gateways.
it depends on where you live
in some places seperate modems and routers are more common, in other places it's more common to have combo units
where i live for example, next to no consumer has seperate devices

I like the process separation, that's pretty mmuch it.

I want to encrypt my traffic. If i'm not home, I would turn on the local VPN. Would it work like a remote VPN?

>Z2
>Brick

but yeah, xposed is what you want

Somewhere around 2 years ago, the fan on my CPU suddenly started spinning much faster, going from about 1200rpm to 3200rpm.

I tried replacing the fan for a different one, no change.
I tried replacing the thermal paste, no change.

Two years later I've not seen any problems other than the excessively loud noise the fan makes spinning that fast, which I've been curing by turning the fan speed down to about 14% using pic related. I normally forget the problem is even there as I don't know how to fix it and don't know what problems may arise from it, but I figure I might as well ask you guys exactly that; What might the fault be that's causing it and does it matter if I leave it alone?

windows 2000 wasn't a consumer version of windows, only workstation and server editions were released (there was Neptune, which was intended to be a home version of 2000, but it wasn't completed)
and yea, Vista and 7 were just about the same thing technically, but due to the negative press vista was getting around its release, MS wanted to distance the follow up from it as much as it could

>I want to encrypt my traffic

From where to where?

Encrypting traffic from your PC to your router aka default gateway won't do shit if you plan to hide your traffic from anyone seeing what site you have visited for example. Setting it in VM is extra retarded because that VM shared the same public IP address of your PC.

I don't see a situation where you'd want to encrypt traffic from pc to your home router

Basically, I want a VPN when Im browing away from home.

Do I have to have remote VPN to encrypt my traffic or will a local one suffice?

most likely;
a. bios automatic fan speed control has been disabled
b. build up of dust on the fan/heatsink has increased the fan speed requirement to hit the desired temperature target

Any help?
I need to make a decision tonight.
Either this or a brand new boyue T62
Which one should I get?

First of all, do you have a desktop or a laptop or a smartphone?

if you change locations aka routers, you buy vpn account on website and connect it to your pc, you don't need to think about routers or anything in between.

I don't know of good VPN providers because i don't need it

laptop

I dont want a VPN to change my ip. I want it to encrypt my traffic in public networks.

Will my VPN local suffice? (not paid)

Ever since updating my Android phone, it now insists I enter the password whenever I turn the phone on and won't let me fingerprint unlock it until I've done the password at least once. Any way to change it back to the old behavior? This is annoying, whole reason I set up the fingerprint thing is because I don't like entering my password on my phone. It seems like a useless security measure anyway since either way a determined and knowledgeable person could bypass the password just as easily as the fingerprint, not as if the contents of the phone itself are encrypted or anything I even consider that worthy of such high security. Fingerprint lock was mostly just meant to deter casual snooping anyway, and to force someone who finds the phone to look at the lock screen and see my name and address and maybe consider doing a good deed rather than the dick thing.

Think of VPN as a tunnel, it has 2 sides and no one else can see what traffic goes on inside

If you create only your side of the tunnel you do nothing, you need an exit point. If you don't do that, you're not encrypting anything

So, local vpn will not be enough. You need either vpn provider or a pc that's always on somewhere in the world that also runs vpn for you to connect to

What you want to do isn't too hard, and you can do it from a host, a VM or even a custom flashed router. You just need to sign up for a free service like noIP to route back home to your dynamic IP.

I wasn't talking about how common separate devices were. I was saying it's unusual to try putting custom firmware on a combination device.

Speaking of which, I noticed the little scrolling bar with my contact info doesn't appear on my lock screen anymore, even though it's still set to do so in settings. What's up with that?

So i have this IP Phone (Yealink T19P) and the piece of shit wont recieve nor send any sounds when i call other phones in the same PBX server. It does work when i dial the IP number instead of the extension.

Why is this? I thought it was the codecs but the settings are exactly the same in the other phones.

Can you help me Sup Forums?

>it's unusual to try putting custom firmware on a combination device.
not where i live
just having or finding anything besides a combo device is rare here
if you want to have seperate devices, you would get two combo devices and just disable what you don't use from either

What model of gateway have you managed to put OpenWRT on? Do all functions work for you?

Why don't they ust call umount unmount? Like you're just one letter away from perfectly describing what the command doe, just fucking make it unmount? What is umount? You're shortening un? Why? If you want to shorten it make it unmnt or something. Like what is the FUCKING problem here?

It's a "DSLink 485" but the internal part is basically a "AR-5382u", I'm actually using the AR firmware now instead of the DSLink shit one

okay, i think I will just delegate it to my VPS
thanks

ffmpeg -i DSC_8990.MOV -c:v libx264 -b:v 1000k -vf subtitles=DSC_8990.srt -vf scale=1280:720 out.mp4
Why are my subs not turning into hardsubs?

several, and yes, i've had them working as a switch, AP (not all i've used had wifi hardware) and ADSL modem at the same time as they're intended to be used

>windows 2000 wasn't a consumer version
Wow
Why did I use it back in the day then?

cloud vps or vm one?

8 is 6.2
8.1 is 6.3

I've always pictured you as more of an anarchist than a consumer.

cloud vps. Just one of those cheap $5/year VPS

I don't want to open up my home network

because you bought a workstation?
because you were sick of 9x's issues?
because you didn't play many games?
idk, you tell me