IT school project

Hi Sup Forums

I'm currently learning IT in school (second year after high school graduation to give you an idea of my level).

I have a 4 months project to make with two friend and i'm kinda hesitating on a few stuff, i wanted your advice.

First of all, configure my own VPN, but i don't realize how much work it represents. According to me it's more of a few-week-project than a huge one.

Then i thought about doing a compression file software (like winzip or stuff), for text at first and maybe sound / video if i have time.

and then a bot for Discord in C++ or Lua i can converse with (well, he'll be quite dumb but it would be my first AI..)

I know a bit of python, Java and C.
So Sup Forums what is the most interesting project and why ? How much time will i spend doing it and which language should i use ? (i'm ok with learning a new one).

Thanks

>configure VPN
im pretty sure you can do this in one day even if you have very little experience.

>I know a bit of python, Java and C.
>weeks to set up a VPN
Horrifying.

Create a dialect of C called BoipuC and make your own operating system called FaggotOS. Then kys for being a faggot.

i meant creating my own, rent a server, not just get one on the internet and explore menus...

installing an os that can redirect internet is too hard for you.

it hurts my feelings.

Seriously guys, i have no clue on "how much time it represent", please answer seriously. The week-vpn thingy was just an estimation of the thing. I've never done it so i don't realize.

Seriously look it up. This basically involves setting up a linux machine and configuring a router.

But how to make the http/https and the file downloading work correctly with a traffic encryption? Is it interresting to do and affordable at my level ?

It shouldn't take you more than a few hours the first time you do it

Digital ocean even has a guide for installing openvpn I think, google it

>4 months project
>configure my own VPN
shittygrad.png

I can configure an L2TP/IPSec VPN in a couple hours. Git gud.

It took about 20 minutes.

> come in thread
> only read 2 lines
> shitpost
I've written other stuff, my initial question wasn't about the vpn only (which i wanted to make with encryption traffic, file download, integrated dns and blacklisting btw but didn't precised it cause it was still an option).

Thanks, i'll check it out

>OpenVPN

Ok, gg, i guess. But you used something that already existed and configured it correctly. What i meant was DOING what you used.
Doing OpenVPN (seems to be the name)

Dude I didn't have openvpn installed and I have never used it before.

>baitrick.jpg
>not filename related

didn't say otherwise, but you used it now. I meant create a vpn from the start, doing my own openvpn, you know... maybe i lack the vocab, dunno, if it's the case sorry.

You want to create your own VPN software software is what you mean?
In 4 months? Kek

>rent server with debian
>ssh into server
>apt-get install [...] openvpn
>google "how to conputer openvpn"
>copy paste config files, replace x.y.z. with ur ip
>done

If you rent a VPS and use a default OS image you would basically be starting at the same point.
You ssh in, install openvpn and easyrsa, generate your keys, copy a default config file, edit like 3 lines and start the service.
It shouldn't take two weeks.

Oh.
Fuck that lol.
Definitely not a beginner level project.

Yes, kinda...

i wouldn't consider it a school project if such thing could be done, it takes like 10mn do so so ><

Well, same as the other, not very interesting as a project...

oh x)
that's why i asked... back to my initial question then...
if the vpn seems to be out of reach, the file compression system or the bot ?

Ansible

>configure my own VPN
Writing your own VPN, maybe. The problem is that it adds nothing new, it'll purely be a shitty and insecure subset of the many good VPN solutions out there.

>compression file software
Good one person project, but the core functionality is hard to split between three people. Also, like above, it would be a shitty subset of existing tools.

>a bot for Discord i can converse with
Your AI would probably be mostly a long chain of if-statements, which you can add to forever and still not get anything useful or interesting.

My suggestions would be:

A Discord utility bot that doesn't try to implement conversational AI. Have a theme and a few very specific use cases in mind, e.g. help organize games and keep track of score.

Any kind of game, such as a scorched earth or bomberman clone. These are good because they can be split between several people, and with the core gameplay in place, can be scaled up and down to fill your four months.

Any kind of CRUD website that there currently isn't a dedicated site for, such as for posting "who's up for doing X tonight at Y", or list things you're willing to lend someone on campus, or a way for cafe staff to put their daily menus online with automated labeling for gluten free and vegan items. These can also be split between people and scale well.

The discord bot would be a much more realistic goal, although you could probably make that in a couple hours to be honest.

>In 4 months? Kek
Writing secure VPN software is hard, but shitty, insecure VPN software is not. I did it in college over a weekend with Linux tun devices.

Ok, i'll admit even though i'd learn a lot from a vpn, it would probably be shitty in the end.

I haven't thought about sharing the work, The compression software seems to be a good idea overall, i'm not here to make something innovative, i don't work in a S&D department after all, it's a fucking school project... Thanks, what you said arise an important point.

The idea of a game i had was making a cheap-metroidvania in C++ with SDL2 (kinda hard...) but i haven't thought of a scorched earth or a bomberman. The first one really interrest me. I'll tell my friend.

I'm not really into the web thing with php, javascript and stuff, i kinda hate it actually but i've thought of it.

>i'm not here to make something innovative
This will go in your portfolio/resume and you'll be describing it in interviews.

You don't want to have to explain that "it's like winzip but worse" or "it's like Eliza but worse".

You want at least one new feature you can highlight, such as "it's like winzip for photo albums"

You have a point...