Other urls found in this thread:

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1362
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1361
deskthority.net/wiki/Keyboard_profile#Contoured_keys
deskthority.net/wiki/Cylindrical_keycap
deskthority.net/wiki/Spherical_keycap
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816070
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1366
mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&brand=34&switch=&size=60%&led=&capmat=&capprint=&model=&availability=&show_kb=off&show_kb=on&show_acc=off&show_acc=on
amazon.com/TOMOKO-Mechanical-Keyboard-Water-Resistant-Anti-ghosting/dp/B01DBJTZU2
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=316
monoprice.com/Product?p_id=13790&gclid=CK2dn9-h_M4CFQIkhgodDdINNA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How hard is it to find ALPS keycaps? I only saw one offer on massdrop

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1362

and

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1361

Yeah I just found these

Kinda sad there are only 2 easy to find offers when there are so many alps clones out there. Some classic-style blue caps like in model F SSK would be sick

what keyboard will fit nicely on top of my thinkpad?

Model M since you're going full meme anyway

My ricer cousin wants me to machine him keys from aluminium and get them anodized, while he's ready to pay stupid amounts of money for it, I need to get some information on the actual keys themselves before I decide to waste my time with this.

Is there any place where I can get a detailed pictures of the keys with measurements.

I think he has brown switches, but aren't all the Cherry MX mounts the same anyway?

You want to make keycaps right?

You could just take some keycaps and and measure them out.

Other than that, I think signature plastics has some datasheets available.

>Buy HHKB
>Feels fucking amazing to type on
>1 month later want to buy something better
>Realize there's nothing better
>1 month later want to buy something better
>Rinse & Repeat

Feels fucking fantastic.

deskthority.net/wiki/Keyboard_profile#Contoured_keys

he might want spherical:
deskthority.net/wiki/Cylindrical_keycap
deskthority.net/wiki/Spherical_keycap

Thank you.
I have all the information I need now.

Doing some back of the envelope calculation each key would cost over 250 dollars to machine and that's just the machine cost, unless I machine them into a sheet and cut them out, even then it's stupidly expensive.

What a waste of time.

My Pok3r just arrived. Is there a way to rebind any key like capslock to TOGGLE? I wanna lock FN somehow.

Complicated blue alps are better than Topre switches.

most alps switches are better then topre

Why is it ok to recommend Logitech or Razers but not Corsair?

it's mostly just that corsair has a non-standard bottom row so that replacing the keycaps is a mess

there's nothing wrong with the keyboards, its just that for the same price you can get better boards. So you really are paying extra for a brand name.
Corsair used to have defective switches, but they have improved, though the none standard layout in their keyboards means you can replace the poor quality keycaps they use

corsair has weird layout so replacing keycaps is a pain

razer is all around faulty trash that panders to 14 year old HARDCORE GAYMERS

logitech is pretty solid, but i recommend looking at other manufacturers like ducky, filco, CM, vortex etc for keyboards. buy your mouse from logitech instead, can't go wrong with their amazing mice

What are your opinions on modern model M?
Ones that are remade, like Unicomp, do they feel/are the same? Are they worth it?
Also, does anybody know any other 90's mechanical keyboards like model M, i mean surely not everybody was using only that keyboard?

>Budget
Around 80€=a little more dollars
>Location (continent at least)
Germany
>Preferred switch type
Tactile and medium(I think)
>Layout
ISO
>Form factor
100%(doesn't have to have music navigation etc though)
>Backlight
Can have it,but definitely not required(depends on the price rise)
>Previous/current keyboards
Cheap logitech one for like 10 bucks

Here's the thing back in the old days of computing electronics were expensive. Computers cost tens of thousands of dollars and were massive, which meant that people could spend lots of money on computer parts. Now when IBM made their model F keyboard it retailed for around $10,000 in today's money and was designed to last 30 years since if you had to use a terminal it wasn't at home because no one could afford it only big companies. The mechanisms of the IBM model F is virtually indestructible since they are made from really high quality components no one in their right mind would use for keyboards. Now as computers got cheaper smaller companies began to buy them, and to capture the market IBM produced the model M keyboard. It used much lower quality components compared to the model F, but it is still better then modern keyboards. But computers got even cheaper so IBM made the model M2, which was even worse then the model M and I would never recommend you buy one.

Now IBM wasn't the only one making keyboards. Alps made their own switches and had very similar quality to IBM's buckling spring, but as computers got cheaper they simply couldn't lower the cost of production for such a well built and complicated switch and ended up selling their patents in the mid 90s.

Now if you want other keyboards switches here's some:

Space invaders (pic related)
Futaba
Mitsumi hybrid switch
Omron B3G (loudest switch ever made)
Nec Oval

Thank you, good info
I wasn't really asking about switches, more like whole package thing, name and model of the keyboard you could just buy as whole, but thanks anyway.
I'm still kinda hoping to find someone who has one Model M (or something similar) and doesn't know/care about it, so i could get it cheap
There is still hope for this in Slovenia i guess, i still see old keyboards here and there (one friend has 3 90's keyboards, working, hes willing to give them to me for free but none are mechanical tho, one could take them just for looks tbqh)

>when IBM made their model F keyboard it retailed for around $10,000 in today's money
source?

Honestly most of those switches are used in crappy keyboards I would only buy as a novelty, with the exception of Mitsumi switches which aren't fully mechanical but are still clicky. If you want to buy old keyboards then stick with alps and buckling springs. Heck most old Dell keyboards have alps and sell on ebay for around $40

Who else placed their order? 5 days to go~

I think he meant whole computer

Anyone here do the shelf liner mod on a Pok3r? I bought some shelf liner to put under my keyboard and I figure I might as well put some inside as well.

Where the FUCK can I get black keys with white lettering for my Model M

posting from it
shit is beautiful

ah ok

Can anybody tell me if any of these are worth anything? I can get them all for free (sorry for shit pic)
Also there is a strangely shaped IBM one with logo on the bottom, arrow keys under space-bar line and gray keys?No more info, just 2 photos (mint condition, almost free), i can post pics if anyone is interested

>LGBT cable
Fucking kill yourself.

The lower left one looks like it has the cherry logo on it (can't tell for sure due to the image quality), that may be worth something.

If it's near free, I'd just get all of them and then check out what kind of switches they have. You can always throw them out later if they turn out to be worthless.

>LGBT cable
>LGBT
Newfriend spotted

>MLP cable
Fucking kill yourself.

Right side is worthless
Left side is worthless mostly the bottom one could be worth something if its a g80 but not sure cant tell at this moment

>LSD cable
Fucking kill yourself druggie.

The lower left IS cherry but there are few ways to actually tell its the real deal unless you could check the bottom for the model numba

>color photographs
Off yourself, spawn of the devil

Yeah, it is a cherry, but there is no more info or better pics, maybe i'll pick em up later
Thanks
Posting the IBM one, didn't find anything on the web, and it says made in china on the back (have a clear pic of the sticker)

most of them are worthless, but the cherry on the bottom left, if its a g80 or g81 its worth something, but if its a g83 then don't bother

Ok, i don't know much about Cherry's

crazy af layout

g80s have classic MX switches, which some autists pay 100 bucks for. The g81 uses MY switches which aren't in production anymore

#define L1LPRN LT(_L1, KC_LPRN)
#define L2RPRN LT(_L2, KC_RPRN)
the key codes are giving 9 and 0 rather than parens like i want
wrapping them in S() does nothing
any ideas?

>MY switches which aren't in production anymore
Are they?
They are supposed to be utter shit though, worse than a decent rubber dome from what I've read.

I'm currently checking out a vast array of key switched to get my first mechanical keyboard. I like the Gateron Red. It seems perfect for a Ctrl key. Using a tactile or any heavier key for a key I use that often (Emacs) and that is that peripheral seems like a bad idea. What do you think?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816070

y/n

I've seen Chinese keyboards with better build quality for the same price. Get a Ducky shine 5 if you want RGB
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1366

MY's are disgusting

n
you won't see anyone in here supporting you buying corsair/logitech/razer/cooler master other than babby's first mech

Learn to palm your modifiers.

Cooler master is a fine brand depending on which board you go with.

Does anyone here have a Terminus Mini 2? How is it?
Also, if i was looking to get one, should i get it with gaterons rather than cherry MXs?

ISO vs ANSI

Average at best, wouldn't say fine. QFR is an okay keyboard for the price, but mine was first faulty (had to send back) then got one that worked and the rubbery texture wore out really fast, gone down to the plastic in a few months. Also the cheap shitty ABS keys won't last long.

A lot of chinese brands that are overall better and cheaper.

Depends on where you were raised but most here are ANSI. If you go for ISO then enjoy the hell of finding compatible keysets.

That's a reasonable alternative, yeah. Or get a foot pedal, which would be funnier, but more impractical

Actually, I'm asking because I'm not sure if shelling out extra to import the EliteKeyboards 45g Topre in ANSI over the KeyboardCompany 45g Topre in ISO is worth the effort.

55g sounds too heavy and almost everyone who isn't a 10-finger touch typist seems to hate variable weighting, so...

Well if it's Topre anyway, you probably don't care about getting other keysets because that shit is nowhere. :' (
Up to you really. I'd still go for ANSI because there's things about ISO I just hate, like the tiny left shift.

got rapid-i and it's perfectly fine so far, no faulty LEDs or anything, keys are fine, rubber is fine

they fixed all the issues in the latter batches

is there a qmk irc room anyone knows of where i could ask?

Pok3r or HHKB Pro 2

What's a good tester for trying out switchs?

pick any decent 60%

this user got some good suggestions

how much money you willing to spend and what switches do you want to test out?

Yes, it is a clueboard with a FC660M case.

Hey mc nuggs I want the biggest meme board I can find boy where it at nigga WHERE IT AT NIGGA

I assume If I have and ISO layout keyboard, I can get a keyset for a different region, change it on windows and be good to go right?

any board with 1976 keyset and torpe/alps

NAH NIGGA I DON'T AGREE WIT UR OPINION

New keyboard incoming

you are a homosexual

>tfw someone is selling a Pok3r with clears near you for a 100 dollar but you don't have any money right now

G-guess I'm stuck with my CM TKL with browns for a little while longer

poor frogposter.

Shouldn't have bought a meme board.

It cost more to upgrade then it does to buy one keyboard

Is it possible for the Fn key on my Novatouch to do anything with the other keys besides the function keys?

>LGBT cable
I admit I laughed

How are the keycool switches compared to cherry? I'm used to brown's, are their browns similar?

>keycool switches
Basically all these try hard switches that are trying to compete with cherry cut costs by not using gold in their switches. They're shit and they are not durable.

The funniest thing is fucking razor using a wire attached to a fucking rubber dome and then calling it high tech.

I'm done with these try hards. Stick to the good brands.

What keyboard is that?

I looked it up and its sold out everywhere.

Every keyboard I look up in this thread is sold out. I end up having to go with a CoolerMaster keyboard.

KBP V60

i remember these threads being dead back then. now theres like 5 threads a day now. its nice desu.

Pok3r is the same thing but with an aluminum case.

10-14 day shipping for my pok3r
FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

looks like you aren't looking hard enough
mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&brand=34&switch=&size=60%&led=&capmat=&capprint=&model=&availability=&show_kb=off&show_kb=on&show_acc=off&show_acc=on

What is the absolute cheapest mechanical keyboard you guys can suggest?

swap leftctrl and caps

ANSI

i went from ISO to ANSI and ANSI is much, much better. the enter key is more accessible without having to more your hand as much, there are no triple layers and the overall layout is far superior for programming

what the fuck is up fellas?
aint been around in a while but i just got my cmy caps with the black legends shit is cash as fuck
what are yall waiting on?

Tomoko is one that I would recommend if you want a cheap TKL. If you want a cheap full size with a white backlight then Monoprice with outemu switches
If you want 60% they are a bit more expensive because they're niche but Royal Kludge for 60 buck is okay

I don't now why but when I look at those keycaps I imagine the typeface to be comic sans

Thanks for the suggestions buddy. Will be looking them up shortly.

Tomoko is around $35-40, while monoprice is on sale for $45 on their website. The royal kludge is on mechanicalkeyboards.com

Just understand that with cheap keyboards you won't be getting high quality components so don't be too harsh on them

the font is fairly round

they come in different switches if you want linear or tactile ones
amazon.com/TOMOKO-Mechanical-Keyboard-Water-Resistant-Anti-ghosting/dp/B01DBJTZU2

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=316

monoprice.com/Product?p_id=13790&gclid=CK2dn9-h_M4CFQIkhgodDdINNA

50 bucks for 10 usable caps. Thats a bit too much for my tastes. I can buy a whole PBT keycap set for that much

I'm leaning towards the Tomoko for now as the board being backlit isn't that much of an issue. Let's see if I can't stretch my budget a bit more. The suggestions and links are highly appreciated, friend.