/pcbg/- PC Building General

AM4 Chipset Edition

**Consider 3000MHz DDR4 in your new build**

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

- Post your list, rate other user's, ask questions in general.

- Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

-If you see any other build advice or part list threads, please politely direct them here.

Other urls found in this thread:

merced.craigslist.org/sys/5765823696.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/LhqY9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/4TbNcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/DnLW4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/vZ9xsJ
ebay.com/itm/282152887387
techspot.com/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page3.html
youtube.com/watch?v=JfSS5diWSCo
pcpartpicker.com/list/z4Y6r7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>make a build on partpicker with a skylake cpu and a 1080
>forgot that intel and jewvidia have been focusing on windows 10
Will I run into driver problems with 8.1? Might have just been the normal uninformed Sup Forums post but I saw some shit about skylake not working with windows 7 out of the box

Some forums have been stating that a 6500 with an aftermarket cooler is a good idea, as it will help the CPU to run quieter and at lower temps. Any merit to this, or is a stock cooler totally sufficient for no OC?

what price does this become worth it?

merced.craigslist.org/sys/5765823696.html

Say I buy sticks of 2666Mhz RAM ... how easy is it to overclock to 3000Mhz? I've heard that's the sweet spot, but are the stock speeds "good enough" ?

Also, does Crucial makes good memory (their ballistix elite line)

pcpartpicker.com/list/LhqY9W

Someone tell me why I shouldn't do this...

tell that mother fucker to throw in a video card. id give them 400 bucks. there's quality parts in there but black friday is just around the corner and a gtx 1060 is going to tag on an extra MINIMUM 200 bucks. at 750 bucks you could build a brand new computer

unless youre overclocking you dont really need an aftermarket cooler. an after market cooler IS nice to have though. not only to really make DAMN sure that shit is cooled but also incase you ever do plan on overclocking

Change the MOBO and RAM

why?

You need socket LGA1551 with Z170 chipset, and rams at 2133 Mhz

that's exactly what I was going to offer and add as a video card, that's hilarious

I wonder if he'll go that low though that CPU is pretty pricey

oh shit. you got me. i had a different CPU and forgot to swap from one chipset to the other. thanks Sup Forumsuy

Should be fine, Win7 had the issue

Might be very slightly cooler and quieter, but why bother?

Ehh, I'd be prepared to pay 450

Clearly a waste of money, but that's what you wanted to hear, isn't it?

wait no. i was right all along. 6700k and 6800k are different. i changed it already.

Clearly a waste of post, but that's not what you meant to do was it?

Oh shit you're right, sorry.

honestly its a pretty good setup. but the fact thats its just straight up missing something that YOU have to put in brings the price down a good amount in my opinion

imagine is someone tried selling you a car and was like. yeah, you just gotta put in a transmission

rate this low end pc?

pcpartpicker.com/list/4TbNcc

pcpartpicker.com/list/DnLW4C

Any criticism or advice? Mainly concerned about the gpu (newegg is out of stock of a couple 970s and 1060s I liked and built with before on a friend's set up) and trying to keep the whole thing under $1400.

if you pirate windows, which is easy, you can afford a gtx 1060 3gb which is easily twice as fast as that card. will 1080p 60fps ēvery game.

Value my rig?

AMD 8350 @ 4.2Ghz
ASUS M5 A97 R2.0 Motherboard
Corsair H60 cooler
EVGA 970 SC
16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 RAM @ 1866 MHz
650w coolermaster PSU
Corsair 400C case
Blue meme lighting

Don't judge me too hard. i built this years ago when i was young and naive. I am trying to find a good price for it on craigslist.

price this as if a person with mild knowledge of computers was looking to buy it. (eg. people on craigslist.)

thats actually amazing advice mi amigo.

if you don't plan to OC don't buy the 6600K get the non K and save 30 bucks. then drop the cooler for another 30 bucks. then find a bit more budget case and save a bit more. toss all of that saved money into a 1070 and you have a damn fine build for maybe just a bit more cashola.

could also try to wait for the monitor to drop on sale because it has a history of going down pretty far.

It's the sweet spot of price
Nobody actually knows or cares if higher ram speeds help, but it's $10 more and all you need to do is flick the xmp setting so why not

i second this

Stock skylake chipsets take 2133mhz base. If you have a higher frequency capable ram and a chipset that allows OC ram, you can change the bios settings to take advantage of that (up to like 4200mhz, which is stupid expensive)

I got a good deal on those 2666 sticks. Are they "locked" to that speed, or can I OC them higher (ala cpu).

I know that 3000 is ideal, and would like to get it if i could potentially, but if not... 2666 should be "fine", well i hope.

They're locked at 2133mhz until you "overclock" them up to 2666 MHz
You could probably work some magic and push them more but why?
3000 is only a good price, even normal 2133mhz ddr4 is plenty fast. If 2666mhz is a better price than take that and enjoy 2666mhz
Make sure you have a motherboard that allows over-2133mhz ddr4 speeds

What items should you NOT buy pre-owned?

HDDs seem like an obvious one, and CPU coolers are cheap enough already that it doesnt really warrant the effort.

The rest should been fine though, right? Anything else in particular, maybe PSUs are a no no?

I've never played a single PC game in my life above low video settings at 1080p.
pcpartpicker.com/list/vZ9xsJ

Get a new motherboard, those are always the first thing to break
Ram is cheap enough to get new, and hard to find used if you want as fast as your motherboard allows
PSU are okay used, I would go for new but as long as it's 80+ bronze or better and not old I'd get it used. Don't try to save money here
CPU are great used because they last forever and nobody really breaks them that often, but make sure it fits your motherboard socket because Intel is always jewing it up with compatibility

go with the 950 Pro M.2. you wont regret the extra shills for it.

Lately this exact decision has put me in an existential crisis
I don't need the extra speeds, but the sticker looks cool
The 600p just came out, I know the 950 is better but is it $80 better? I could basically double my Intel 600p size for the price of switching to Samsung 950

i feel you bro but imo 950 is the easy choice. it may not look like it now but in 2 years you will be thanking yourself for posting in this thread.

>never played a pc game
>I'll just drop 2000 dollars on a rig

what?

I'm sick of playing PS2 and Dreamcast

Also I have 3 new laptops that have all broken in their own way, I'm tired of that shit, they never move in the first place

yeah but $500 in well-picked parts will get you to a reasonable level of power

I mean I understand, if the money is nothing to you then go for it but I'm just saying it's not really necessary.

1 x ($204.99) EVGA GeForce GTX 950 02G-P4-2956-KR 2GB SC+ GAMING, Silent Cooling Gaming Graphics Card

1 x ($84.99) Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150 53W BX80646G3258 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

1 x ($79.99) G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GAR

1 x ($79.99) Kingston SSDNow UV400 2.5" 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SUV400S37/240G
$79.99

1 x ($64.99) WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM

1 x ($64.99) MSI H81M-P33 LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x ($49.99) EVGA 500 W1 100-W1-0500-KR 80+ WHITE 500W Power Supply

1 x ($38.99) Devastator II LED Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo Bundle with Red LED Edition by Cooler Master

1 x ($24.99) Rosewill FBM-01- Dual-Fan MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

1 x ($10.99) Microsoft 4YH-00005 Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical 800 dpi Mouse

1 x ($7.99) Team Group 16GB C143 USB 3.0 Flash Drive (TC143316GL01)

2 x ($2.97) DEEPCOOL XFAN 80 Hydro Bearing Black Fan

1 x ($4.99) Kingston DataTraveler Generation 4 8GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive DTIG4/8GBCR

1 x ($4.99) ADATA DashDrive UV128 8GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Model AUV128-8G-RBE

I bought this. After taxes and shipping: $861.11 Note that this is Canadian Tire money. Gonna use it for a gnu system gaming rig. Gonna see how much of an OC I can get on the cpu with the stock cooler. At least 3.8-4, I'm thinking. How well did I do? ;^) The SSD should competently survive 5 years of unavoidable caching.

Tell me what you would change and why. Thanks.

Without the monitor and 1070 card it's $800, I'm definitely open to saving money, but how? Non-overclockable mobo/CPU/RAM? Not using an M2 drive? I've never overclocked and don't plan to for a long time but it'd be nice to boost my PC a little once it's having troubles keeping up

1060 or 480? I just want to get rid of my shit 250x already.

maybe more ram, the cooler is way overkill (aim for $25-40), monitor is probably overkill for you (seeing as you don't play csgo competitively you won't notice the difference between 60hz and 144hz), case could cost half that easily

ssds are 100% worth the cost though

Anyone have some settings for a rock-solid stable 6600k overclock? I've seen a pretty huge range so far and am trying to home in on a smaller set before going through my own tests.

None of those cards are worth the money spent, buy a real card with 100 more. No, actually don't even buy any fucking graphics cards. This has got to be one of the shittiest years ever for graphics cards.

>this year characterized by cheaper, low-power, rock solid versions of last years cards
It's a bad year for disk measuring, it's a good year to buy a GPU

Should I get the XFX 4GB 470 for 299 wombats or the Sapphire 4GB 470 for 339 koalas? Is the Sapphire model worth the extra 40 kangaroos?

More ram? 16GB 3000mhz isn't enough?
And yeah I might wait on a cooler, that's $80 more for basically aesthetics
And I'll consider the monitor, I just chose that because I've seen friends play on over-60 fps monitors and it's disgustingly smooth. Is G-sync worth a damn?

Hey /pcbg/, retard-tier builder requiring some help. I'm trying to build a really modest PC for my sister and I'm having a bit of a struggle choosing a case for it. Excuse the notepad build list, I'm getting parts from all over the place (not 1st world country, explains the slightly higher prices as well; pic related.)
I was hoping to snag a case with two fans, but the only reasonably priced two-fan case I could find was Cooler Master N200 which is listed as a Midi tower, and although I'm pretty sure everything can fit, I'm wondering if the decrease in room will counteract the additional fan.
Am I retarded for thinking that less room in a Midi tower will significantly increase cooling requirements?
Should I forego the case fans completely and just opt in for a 212 EVO or something (and will I need a better PSU for it)?
Is the setup so pitiful that even a single 120mm case fan of a Mid tower will be enough?
Any advice from a tech Sup Forumsuru would be appreciated. Note that there are no Corsair cases to be bought where I live. Also please let me know if you notice some incompatibility in the setup.

Jesus christ why the fuck is this shit so expensive?

This should not cost 3k

Crossposting from another thread because I didn't really get replies. What's the real reason to build a computer new from scratch if you can get alright-tier components for much cheaper used on ebay? I think I would learn from building my own, but I also think I could just upgrade parts from a used rig I find. this is what I'm considering
ebay.com/itm/282152887387

thanks

The stock CPU fan will be fine and so will stock case fans. The n200 is pretty good but your motherboard has to be mATX to fit. MATX cases have less airflow but still a great amount
That PSU *should* be fine

>new from scratch if you can get alright-tier components for much cheaper used on ebay
you'll never truly know the state that they're in. it's like buying used cars. you may get a used car that does perfect and lasts years, or you may get a used car that fucks up after 2 years because the previous owner wore it out.

if you trust the seller and think it's a good deal, then go for it.

A two-fan mATX case beats a 1-fan ATX case I think

That seems pretty overpriced for a 2 year old computer. I think I paid about the same when I bought similar hardware 2 years ago.

The best used computers are much cheaper than that. I'd be looking for older workstation tier hardware, or simply look around until you see someone regret buying computers and shit and is trying to get rid of it all fast for hardly any money at all.

Consider how much that computer was worth when new. In my country, that i7 has gone up by about 100 USD during the past couple of years. I'm thinking that guy paid about 250 USD for it, not the 335 suggested by pcpartspicker.

Those crappy drives and Windows 7 Professional seems like nothing more than padding to inflate the total "value".

Already ran into an hp laptop with 9800p, I was impressed.

Reminds me of all those AMD cards that flooded the used market a few years ago. A used card that's been running at 95C 24/7 for more than a year doesn't tempt me at all.

It is an mATX, I double-checked. That *should* is itching me, but investing a bit more in a more powerful PSU is not bothering me at the moment. Think I'll go for the N200 then, thanks anons.

I have a Phenom II 965, should I get a Kaby i5 around the end of the year or should I wait until 2017 for Zen?

I ordered a graphics card on a website, but I really fucked up and didn't notice the extremely small "in preorder" stock text. I emailed back the worked that emailed me telling me it was in preorder for a refund.

How easy is this going to be? Think they're just going to give me my money back? It's memory express in Canada.

Just call support tomorrow and cancel your preorder. Preorders can usually be cancelled at any time

Clearly wait

A better valuation would be the average used price for each component off ebay

>I'm trying to build a really modest PC for my sister
Somehow I read this as I'm trying to really molest my sister..

Probably not

470 or 3GB 1060

You don't need the z70 chipset if paring with locked CPU

get a list ready first

LGA 1151 set (mobo, case, ram, etc.)
AM4 set
pick when you're ready

Need help controlling the temp within my mini-ITX case. I'm currently underclocking my GPU (290X Direct2CU) to 875 mhz base clock to maintain some decent temperatures. If I leave it at it's stock speed, all the components in the case will eventually go 10C higher than it naturally would (temps in image is only left running for 5 minutes). I also start smelling burnt plastic, which is why I don't want to replicate it again for the fear of ruining some components.

Some choices I've ran through my head are:
1. Reduce my full ATX PSU to a modular and/or SFX one, less wireless in the way of airflow and cleaner case
2. Increase my case fans and increase their RPM (by purchasing some aftermarket ones). I'm already running 2x140mm intakes and 1x120mm exhaust (the max the case can handle)
3. Remove at least one of my 3.5" drives and replace by some SSD
4. Water cool my CPU
5. Water cool my GPU
6. Replace my GPU

Which, if any of these combinations would yield the best results?

>5. Water cool my GPU
>6. Replace my GPU
Either of those, if water cooling make sure the exhaust goes directly out of the case.

You might try testing the GPU temps under load in another case.

Replace GPU
That's probably the biggest issue here, maybe get a better CPU cooler if you want but i don't know
Also negative case pressure (more exhaust than intake fans) is supposed to be better for cooling but worse for dust

What's a good place to check out HDD reviews for benchmarks and reliability?

Any good, affordable, mini-itx motherboards you guys would recommend?

if only not r2.0 board

There was a gigabyte z170 one on sale yesterday...
I recommend the one on sale

Which GPU/CPU for 2560x1440 120Hz+ Overwatch?

Forgot to add, at the maximum possible graphics settings for consistent 120+ frames per second.

Check benchmarks, ain't happening m8

What makes you say that?

Do you have to reformat an HDD before installing an OS on it, if so what format? Or does a Windows OS install do that for you?

So I asked this yesterday on sqt and on some forums and nobody seems to know;

on an msi motherboard with the v4 BIOS, how do I access the BIOS event log?

The MSI BIOS is filled with memes and overclocking info.

>Do you have to reformat an HDD before installing an OS on it, if so what format?
No.
You can install it as unallocated space.

>if so what format
The OS will decide the format.

>Or does a Windows OS install do that for you?
Yes.

I love that my years old card (290x) does Overwatch on med-high at 120fps at 1440p. Hell I only have a 60Hz screen, but good to know

I'm upgrading from a bay trail atom. If I get the i5 6500 instead of an i3 will my head explode?

First I've seen of any framerates that high. (Compare 980Ti from both charts.) Could be that the Techspot bench is newer?

You'll have the option during the install. If you have multiple drives, make sure you format the right one!

First I've seen of any framerates that high. (Compare 980Ti from both charts.) Could be that the Techspot bench is newer?

You'll have the option during the install. If you have multiple drives, make sure you format the right one!

Hey

I bought old Mac pro early 2008 for pretty cheap price, what graphics card i should get for it?

Not sure when your benchmark's from, worth noting it doesn't have the 10xx series. Techspot is from May 27, 2016.
techspot.com/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page3.html

Anybody having experience installing Mac OS / Building a Hackintosh for dual booting?

youtube.com/watch?v=JfSS5diWSCo
If you look at about 2:05 the 1080 drops framerate below 120 for a sustained about of time. But that's just nitpicky, seems like full goy will get the job done

750 ti

Can I put an i5 6500 on a H110 mobo? Some dude was recommending a H170. Sorry I'm dumb.

Fresh Build, rate it.
CPU: i5-6600k
Mobo: Z170 Stinger
GPU: RX 480
RAM: 16GB HyperX
Kingston 240 gb SSD
Seagate 2tb HDD
EK Predator 240 CPU cooler
NZXT Manta case

Sold old pc for $350 so it costed me ~$1500 AUD

Rate my build please.

pcpartpicker.com/list/z4Y6r7

I'm only really interested in hitting 1440p at 60 Hz (no higher), and already have a nice monitor (Dell U2515H, prefer to use DP from what I've read about the minor issues the panel has on the Internet) lined up for it. Is the graphics card overkill for just hitting 60 fps @ 1440p? I don't plan on playing anything hardcore, but I'd like a card with at least ~100 GT/s or so to get good display-sync/interpolation results for watching 24 Hz content without judder. It doesn't look like there's that much in the $100-$250 range that I like though.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/z4Y6r7
Id go for a better psu with 80+ gold
I would also drop an extra 30 $ for the 6600k

Which version of windows? 7? Can windows 10 be pirated?

Overwatch is very hard to benchmark without a proper replay/demo system. Thanks for linking this though, it's good input.

Thanks, upgraded to a EVGA 80+ Gold PSU. Don't really need the overclocking, so I'll pass on the processor.

Dang, nobody replied to pat me on the head and give me warm hugs kyses.

Where can I order a mother figure to sate my millennial man-child emotional needs?

I'm not being mean, I'm actually that poster.

desu i saw it an didn't bother reading. TMI. Im guessing you wrote it to get the right pricing but you could have just provided the overview from pcpartpicker and the actual total pricing. Im sure more people would had then replied.
Instead (obviously beacuse you care to much) you provide an endless text with
>every
>single
>spec
>detail
Only thing you're missing is the fucking serial numbers and the god damn barcodes.
On a note though probably a solid build still didn't read.

Enjoy 4K wallpaper

I copypasted it from the invoice newegg emailed me. That's how they title their products. Failed to remove one redundant line tho.