Are they finally dying? Even normies don't like W10

Are they finally dying? Even normies don't like W10.
Realistically, what would replace it? Linux would be cool but any command line use scares people away. Will it be Google?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Public_servers_on_the_Internet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Supercomputers
top500.org/statistics/overtime/
pirateproxy.red/torrent/15319644/Windows_10_Pro_v.1511_En-us_x64_July2016_Pre-Activated-_TEAM_OS_
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pretty sure a lot of people are fine with W10.

this

the only ones that complained were the ones that got bitten by the auto upgrade

W10 sux and linux is unusable, so they buy macs

Mac is a toy

>but any command line use scares people away
this is their only pain and the drama. The future beside linux. Military and commercial services uses linux only -- they feel the future, they know the best choice

>linux is unstable
>the os ran by fucking 90% of all servers and supercomputers in the world is less stable than windows

Engineering user reporting in: most competent people don't care what OS they have installed and manage to do work regardless.
There is not a single meaningful task outside of (maybe) video production / artsy shit which is bound by the OS

lol

>I post a number out of my ass to support my opinion

>Even normies don't like W10
Reading what people say on the internet isn't going to give you an accurate picture. People mostly don't go on the internet to post "yeah i like it i guess", they post on the internet if they want to complain, so you'll see a lot of people saying they don't like it compared to the number of people saying they do like it.

Artfag here, it's the same thing even in our field. People want to make a big fuss but it doesn't matter.

Yes, so why are you still using an expencive toy if anything else would also do?

>Even normies don't like W10
But that's not true. Most of the people are fine with using w10 (judging by by normie friends).
Nothing will replace windows as a desktop os in a distant future. Macs could, but poorfags can't afford them.
And don't even mention using linux as a desktop os until it gets non-free multimedia editing software windows has.

The moment productivity gets hampered is the moment the user gets annoyed.
Our company switched to Ubuntu in a test phase in hope to save license costs however productivity dropped by ~30% and the people complained about missing shortcuts etc.

>I refute someone's argument without providing any proof that they are wrong

here you go you mongoloid:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Public_servers_on_the_Internet

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Supercomputers

if you ever visited something other than high school you would know that wikipedia is not a source.
also it's not my job to support your opinion with facts to turn it into a real argument.

>Realistically, what would replace it?

Android

you really don't get normies.
they will use it even if they don't like it.

Android suffers more from Featuritis than Windows ever did.

Not that guy, but the sources for Wikipedia are listed under, you guessed it, sources.

You barely have to use any command line nowadays in most buntus and mint.

Source links are right there, are you blind?

If wikipedia is not a source it doesn't mean the sources and references used to write the article are not relevant

>also it's not my job to support your opinion with facts to turn it into a real argument.
then stop arguing, you are a cancerous faggot derailing discussions

Half the people I know are using 10, most say they like it, but to be fair almost everyone I know is a tech illiterate. The other half is sticking with 7.

>derailing discussions
nothing to derail in a shitpost thread such as this.

If you ever visited a school you would know that Wikipedia shouldnt be listed as a source because it shows that you have only made the minimal amount of research.

Not because Wikipedia is false.

You are too stupid to accept that you are wrong wich either means that you are not 18 years old or that you suffer from brain damage.

>what are primary, secondary and tertiary sources
you never did scientific work and it shows.
don't talk about things above your level.

Seriously you are out of arguments.
Wikipedia should not be listed as source because the teachers want you to do your own research which Wikipedia has already done for you.

You already have been proven wrong and your "wikipedia is not a source" argument died the moment you realize that wikipedia itself has sources from the people who took surveys on the TOP500 PCs of which more then 99.9% run linux.

He said unusable you fuck not unstable.

Fucking lincucks, always ready to leap to its defence.

It's sad that my computer runs Windows 10 a lot smoother than Windows 7. No matter how much I tried.

Linux will never be anything, it's a fucking nightmare to use despite what Sup Forums will tell you

Besides, it's already been around for ages. Google, maybe, but it will be another botnet.

Xp64 ran better than Vista and Win7 even boots faster on mechanical drives. Win7 was better than Vista. Win8 multiple usability problems control panel split in half. Tablet desktop requires third party shell to make usable. UX design garbage tier. Windows 10 even more regression tablet interface moves to the start menu and infects it as well. UX issues all over. Control panel still a mess. Botnet. Reverts settings on updates including drivers. All control subverted to MS not the user.

Chromium OS literally uses the Linux kernal

If Google is the next OS of choice then Linux wins

did you even read the shitty article he posted?
it lists 3 sources, 2 disagree with his opinion and the one that does agree just lists numbers without explaining where they come from.

And how do the TOP500 relate to his opinion of 90% of the servers world wide run linux?
super computers are a specific use case and I might as well argue that 90% of all IIS web servers run on Windows.

The problem with Linux (as in, why it's not going to be popular) besides the fact that a ton of shit that most people like doesn't work on it - is that there's literally nothing between "Ubuntu so easy my grandma can use it" and Arch-linux tier nightmare. Linux Mint is about as close as it gets, but if you need to run any Windows software that Wine doesn't support properly, then you're shit out of luck.

>what is fuchsia

rofl chrome os can only use google docs

The only difference is not all the software people are used to is on the platform. It's trivial to install Linux. It wouldn't take much to make a kid friendly installer like on Windows anyways and it's been done already off and on. Linux ten years ago or say back in the 90's would be a nightmare but people don't even install their own OS most of the time. They buy it at a local Sam's Club on sale or something and plug it in. It's that simple. How else do you think the fucking world lived with computers in the home in the 80's and 90s? Normies were printing happy birthday banners on dot matrix before most of you people in this thread were swimming in your father's balls.

most normies probably don't care. Or more accurately, they don't care enough to do anything about it. Many of my friends/family are staying on win 7 if they were moderately tech literate. The ones who aren't don't give a shit.

I'm staying on 7 and transitioning to linux. But the fact of the matter is, linux still isn't nearly as compatible as wangblows. I still need windows for my day job and for most gayming. Until that changes I don't see many normies making the switch to linux. It's more likely they would switch to mac if they really disliked windows 10.

You want to play this academic bullshit game shift the burden of proof back at OP where it started.

>Even normies don't like W10.
>Linux would be cool but any command line use scares people away.

Those are bold claims where is proofs.

Are you metally handicapped?
top500.org/statistics/overtime/
It cant be this hard to figure out simple statistics if you are over the age of 18.

You can CLEARLY see here that the most powerful super computers nearly ALL run linux.
You will also be able (due to READING) find out how these statistics came to be.

It is obvious that you have absolutely no Idea what you are talking about and are unable to understand very simple statistics.
You arguments have been completely debunked and your inability to understand that you are completely wrong shows that you are not very intelligent.

Is it easy to pirate windows 10? Would installed games etc actually work on it?

Yes to both

Why would I care what people have Win10 or do not? I'm sure it raise it's adoption numbers in a linear fashion over time. Might not be as popular or could be more.

>Linux would be cool but any command line use scares people away.

Prove what exactly? Normies were installing DOS/Win3.1/Novell/OS2 via floppies with similar or the same interfaces Linux installs have used for decades. You would even get books on programming languages with your purchase which might as well be in Chinese to most of them. TI and others had these. How do you think games were ever played by kids or adults during these difficult times? It's pretty clear that whatever is sold at retailers will be popular. It has little to do with how "good" or "friendly" Windows works.

Would it ever cause any problems?
Hypothetically speaking *ahem*, how would one go about doing such a thing *ahem*, if one were hypothetically *ahem* planning on doing so *ahem*?

You fail to answer my question of how supercomputers relate to 90% of the server market running linux and resort to call me names because you can't.

download this shit and hope for the best:
pirateproxy.red/torrent/15319644/Windows_10_Pro_v.1511_En-us_x64_July2016_Pre-Activated-_TEAM_OS_

or get a cheap windows 7/8 key and upgrade to 10 claiming you use disability features to still get the free upgrade

Type normally and download that shit already.
I've tested pirated W10 in a VM and games are working normally

>or get a cheap windows 7/8 key and upgrade to 10 claiming you use disability features to still get the free upgrade
OMG you're right! This will certainly save me some dollarydoos. I hope the cut off date is not too soon though.

>OP gets his wish
>Microsoft dies and takes Windows with it
>Everyone now has Ubuntu installed
>OP makes a thread
>When will canonical finally give up and die?
>The cycle of Sup Forums continues

>Pretty sure a lot of people are fine with W10.
pajeet please, even my uncle can't stand it

Fucking hell YOUR uncle? That's like, basically everyone who ever existed right? Wow, fucking Microsoft man, was it actually their intention to shoot themselves in the foot by making an OS some cunt's uncle can't stand? Jesus Christ!

When google finally makes a big push for desktop chromedroid Windows will start to die.

All google needs is to get steam on board and start raising the specs.

>what is a habit
>what is a learning curve

>what is a preference
I have a 500€ windows + Mint laptop btw

>complaining about missing shortcuts
kys

Can I run legitimate steam on pirated windows 10?

You don't even need to pirate win 10...and yes you can.

>legitimate steam
As opposed to illegitimate steam? You can run anything normally, other than some Microsoft products.

That disability thing won't work. Microsoft closed the loophole. Now you have to call the disability desk (or whatever) and prove which assistive technology you use in order to do it.

>illegitimate steam
Oops my bad. I have never denied being a retard. I just don't brag about it. But it just comes out sometimes :)

>Are they finally dying? Even normies don't like W10.

I dunno.... is Apple dying since macs don't sell well enough like their mobile products? Is Linux gonna be snuffed out since it's not a viable solution or alternative to many consumer customers? No? It's not dying? People like Windows 10? Well there ya go.

No, it's not dying and it won't for a while. I've noticed that popular opinion around me is that it's shit, kinda the same from when Vista was around, but Vista was worse and people dealt with it. They'll complain but they won't actually do anything because people don't mind being fucked as long as you're somewhat gentle and they aren't losing money.

>Give windows 10 a try for the free upgrade period
>They moved or renamed everything for no reason.

I mean I guess if I wanted to put in the effort to relearn where everything is I'd use it, but what's the point when windows 7 is still great, and the time I spend on windows 7 gives them more time to iron out the bugs. I'll probably stay on 7 until I literally cannot run new programs any more or at the point they completely discontinue updates.

>this is what freetard basement dwellers believe

Same here. I like Win10

When Googles next OS surpasses Windows there will be no doubt left that they will take over the world

yah too bad they fired 60% of their testers and now the anniversary update is totally fucked...

who needs testers when your product is literally perfect*
*no testers to say otherwise

The Linux desktop is unstable because of shitty drivers written by third parties. Such problems wouldn't exist if Linus did the smart thing and went for a microkernel design.

No, it's just that development on Linux will never be as focused as what we get in a proprietary product

You are trying to say that Linux is unstable because of bad job third parties who "kind of" want to support Linux with drivers in form of blobs that are really pain in the ass to deal with for the Linux team, and its somehow Torvald's fault that they do a half assed job and that they are not supporting this code enough to keep up with the Linux development?

You know because it sounds like you are trying to tell us that its Linux's fault that the driver writers do not want other people auditing their code at release and later choose to abandon it or leave some bugs that cause instability or something.

I'm not saying they should literally give away all their code at once because open source is awesome and power to the people or something, but if they want to provide support for a project that is open sourced , they should either provide the support properly, or open source it if they don't wanna do it any more.

Who needs testers when customers are willing to test it, for FREE

true that

You might be joking, but they unironically thought community involvement in the Insider Program and Feedback app would literally pick up the slack

>normies were installing DOS
In the early 90's. We are now approaching 2017

>that was long time ago, now we are approaching stupid ages.

Exactly my point

yeah, in supercomputers is actually 99.4%.

>You are too stupid to accept that you are wrong
>accept that you are wrong
Something that never happened on the fourth channel (except r9k).

>Engineer
>competent
Your approximation is not good enough

Dumbass...download and install and don't activate it.

Google has an opportunity, doubt they'll use it.

Most people don't have a computer science background and cannot use Linux. Ubuntu is the closest to user-friendly and still isn't quite there yet.

Best option for the average person is to switch to Mac. I'm honestly amazed that Apple hasn't stepped up their game. They should have started stepping in at some point in the last year, they would absolutely crush the Microsoft empire if they tried.

Pre-retort to anti-mac arguments:
Most people currently using Windows would have no problem switching to Mac, they don't play gaymen and mostly use their computer for editing word docs, sending emails, and dicking around on facebook.

>Butthurt over Microsoft's lack of market share
Windows server is used for:
1. Active Directory (which will end up dying as more things become web-based)
2. Exchange (which is only used internally, major email providers either build their own on Linux or use one of the pre-existing options)
3. IIS (which is only used by SMBs and pajeets)

PC sales are falling and Linux has a solid server market share that is only improving. Azure has only been moderately successful due to offering hosted Active Directory.

Mobile killed the PC industry and is slowly killing Windows.

Why do you have a computer? You're probably posting from a mobile device and browse the internet more from it anyway.

>Military and commercial services

The US DoD is standardizing on Windows 10 and most businesses run Windows.

Those old enough to work with DOS in the 80s and early 90s would appreciate how much easier Linux's command line is to work with.

This is why we need to support Apple. I do it begrudgingly but it's better than Microshit now.

W10 anniversary is actually pretty nice desu

>most businesses run Windows.
That'll change. Most of the servers I've worked with in my professional career have been Linux (Red Hat or Oracle Linux specifically, same thing).
Windows 10 is focused on non-business things just as Windows 8 was. This is a painfully stupid decision for Microsoft as they'll alienate their money center.

k

Yeah, W10 kinda imploded.

I have it, and although some features are nice, I think W7 was better.
The Anniversary Update fucked up my tweaking software, too, so I had to MANUALLY hack DLL files for my delicious steamy rice.

Also, the OS is more unstable than it ever has been... and self-service support is less helpful/direct.

I'm fucking running 32-bit Office 2016 on a 64-bit system, because it suddenly decided to stop working permanently a couple months ago... like what the fuck?

and then recently, it deactivated after some Indian guy reinstalled it (after that stupid bullshit above). Like, it WAS activated, then it STOPPED being activated, so I was on the phone with India again like 2 weeks ago because my system was unable to SLUI, and they couldn't lemme do something with an EDU edition to activate my Pro... they coulda just upgraded to EDU or something when I put in that access code.

I'm gonna be testing a FreeBSD install (again) later or something on a HDD-less netbook.

I want to into UNIX, myself.

I would like to write my own UNIX OS at some point as a corporate project.
So, hopefully, THAT will replace Windows.

Universality is best option!
All OS converge to the UNIX standard!
POSIX 5EVR!

>(Why the fuck did Microsoft have to abandon Xenix... it woulda been great... They coulda still CALLED it Windows, just... you know... UNIX/Windows...)

>I want to into UNIX, myself.
It's improving but that's still a rough road.

Anniversary update fucked up a lot of my hacks, and now Cortana keeps harassing me whenever my computer starts up.

I liked doing stupid shit like asking her to go on a date with me and play rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock, but there's not that much I actually need her for, so it's annoying when she sends me these notifications.

Also, Edge, despite now having extension support, doesn't have any way to manually edit favorites. Like when I add a new filter to Sup Forums, I need to change the address of the link, but Edge doesn't have a properties option.

So, I'm back to using IE11 atm, for the most part.

Speaking of this, I know a lot of people have moved over to Mac recently, seeing as it integrates well with the iPhone which literally everyone not in a 3rd world shithole has at this point.

Honestly I think people spend more time on phones/tablets than actual computers nowadays.

True, but that's also why I'd like to be involved in some OS dev with it.

If I succeed in a few of my current/near-future projects, I'll try to fast-track a UNIX system that does basically everything.
I know, not saying much atm, just talk for the time being, but it's a goal nonetheless.

I bet windows 10 will increase the sales of Mac's

>seeing as it integrates well with the iPhone
so?
>which literally everyone not in a 3rd world shithole has at this point.
I refuse to buy from Apple. Their treatment of workers, of customers, and their low-compatibility for both hardware AND software have basically guaranteed I will not buy from them again.
>4 years going strong!

Also, I still don't use a smartphone, because battery life is too low.
Samsung Convoy III here (OPTIONALLY not upgraded - only one in my house w/o a smart phone, actually; my parents and younger siblings all do). I can forget to plug mine in for like 4 DAYS and still have like 75% battery.
>It's... not like I generally have people to talk to. It just needs extremely long idle and media life, really, because I rarely use it for anything other than as a music player when I'm out. Sometimes I'll do like a Bing search on it or check a Wikipedia page. When not doing consulting, my text message usage is only like... < 50/mo. WHEN consulting, maybe like 100 on the high end...

Plus, I actually like 10-Key. It's much easier to type on for small devices.

Open source always needs more contributors. Go for it.

>I refuse to buy from Apple.
Bad stuff happens irl, shit gets loud. Wars are happening right now, Apple is not the center of all evil. However, I can understand your concern and your want to better the world is pretty cool, just know you're in the minority by not owning an iPhone much less a smartphone.

This, Windows 7 was so bloated and sluggy. Windows 10 preforms and looks (imo) better than 7, it's a shame it's a botnet but I honestly don't care lol