/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

extensions.gnome.org/review/3239
extensions.gnome.org/extension/723/pixel-saver/
archwomen.org/
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
catchlinux.com/arch-linux-myth/
unix.org/trademark.html
cnet.com/news/apple-in-court-dispute-over-unix/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rsnapshot
aur.archlinux.org/packages/snap-pac/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for wayland is shit

it'll be good soon!

Soon™

ah...how many years have it been

What's best why to backup your OS in case you want to migrate to new SSD/HDD?
DD,clonzilla or rsync?

rsync/tar/squashfs if *nix
ntfsclone if windows

All of them would work but clonezilla is made specifically for that and would be the easier, safest option.

why doesn't windows have a good clipboard like linux has? are windows users retarded? how hard is it to make a nice little clipboard

Best DE/DE+WM for Debian?
Have been using Gnome for a while now but the titlebars are too large for my taste.
Would be using KDE but it's buggy as hell.

You can change the height with gtk.css

>Have been using Gnome for a while now but the titlebars are too large for my taste.

>extensions.gnome.org/review/3239

or just search "titlebar" on that site, I remember using one extension a while a go that was really good

I think it's this one

extensions.gnome.org/extension/723/pixel-saver/

I tried that but it isn't working. If I did something wrong pls tell me (image).
Thank you I will try that.

>ocd prevents me from using anything but minimal gentoo
>just want a comfy environment to write my erlang

streamlining so users aren't "confused" since everything is done in a very binary way.

Windows despite being the most used desktop OS ever doesn't have a lot of "neat" features that other OSes have even though Microsoft could easily implement them.
Especially features found in various Linux environments which unlike other OSes (like OS X) aren't encumbered by weird patents protected by an army of lawyers

Nothing stopped Memesoft from implementing
>Advanced clipboard like you already mentioned
>Super+LMB to move windows around and Super+RMB to resize windows
>Virtual workspaces

Which were present in X since the 90s

Seems like they changed it in gnome 3.20, it's slightly different now try this:

/* shrink headerbars */
headerbar {
min-height: 0px;
padding-left: 2px; /* same as childrens vertical margins for nicer proportions */
padding-right: 2px;
background-color: #2d2d2d;
}

headerbar entry,
headerbar spinbutton,
headerbar button,
headerbar separator {
margin-top: 0px; /* same as headerbar side padding for nicer proportions */
margin-bottom: 0px;
}

/* shrink ssd titlebars */
.default-decoration {
min-height: 0; /* let the entry and button drive the titlebar size */
padding: 0px
background-color: #2d2d2d;
}

.default-decoration .titlebutton {
min-height: 0px; /* tweak these two props to reduce button size */
min-width: 0px;
}

window.ssd headerbar.titlebar {
padding-top: 3px;
padding-bottom: 3px;
min-height: 0;
}

window.ssd headerbar.titlebar button.titlebutton {
padding-top: 3px;
padding-bottom:3px;
min-height: 0;
}

This can of course can easily be explained by the fact that Microsoft has a de facto monopoly over the Desktop market and thus has no incentive to compete with other vendors.

but like how hard would it be to make one?
I made one long time ago in python with tkinter but it worked like shit.
in windows 10 you have that bar thing on the right that comes out when you press a shortcut like super + A, how hard would it be to make it so when you press some shortcut the same bar comes out on the right of the screen but it just has all the items you copied

I never programmed for windows, you would need to do it in C# right?

I'm just saying it's not hard, all other clipboards on windows are useless shit.

"""""""""slightly"""""""""
Anyways, thanks a lot it actually worked.

kek no problem

Programming for independent C# applications isn't too hard, but programming for the Windows API is an absolutely massive pain in the ass.

Reminder that women matter.
archwomen.org/

pls stap

Women matter for hoovering up matter from my penis, yes.

delet this

There is no "best DE for [distribution]", idiot.

Reminder that Arch being lightweight is a meme and their users cucked.

>Arch is the *opposite* of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users
>has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there
>aren't voting systems as there are in Debian. Technical decisions are
>made based on merit via consensus among the developers, not popularity.

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

You and the Arch guy that always shit up these threads should kill yourselves.

Arch Linux redpill: catchlinux.com/arch-linux-myth/

How can I turn a gif into a webm without loosing quality (ffmpeg)?

It's *nix alright.
What's the difference?
Do you know if it save as disk image? or only the used data?

>*nix
>*nix
What's up with this *nix cancer?
>>>/apple/

U*nix
Lu*nix

Someone pls invite koriwi to #flt

>What's the difference?
rsync: copy each file from one place to another, preserving everything (optionally, but typically), using this allows your target to be a different filesystem, for example. rsync is also good for updating an existing backup, as it will only copy data that isn't already up to date in the backup
tar: simple, well supported method of turning many files into a single file or stream, if you need to place a backup onto a non-unix filesystem like ntfs, this is one way you can do so without losing any attributes
squashfs: a compressed, read-only filesystem, commonly used with livecd's, has the advantage of being mountable with random-accessibility

GNU isn't Unix, nor is Linux, both written from scratch. The only "UNIX" around is OS X.
#flt is #sqt, #flt doesn't exist.

Clonezilla images the entire disk but I'm not sure what you want to accomplish exactly. If you want to migrate everything to another disk, Clonezilla is fine but you shouldn't use it for regular backups (daily backups for example).

#flt is now invite only?
That's the point where we srsly should remove it from OP.

>rsync
I see, so this is best if I have something that needs to be backed up frequently and stay updated.
But it won't be in compressed format, and the backup media file system need to be the same.
>tar
Will it preserve boot flags? and restoring is simple unpack?
For example if HDD is 1TB and it's used 30GB will the disk image be 1TB or 30 GB?

It would be 30GB.

Then clonzilla is front end for dd?

What's the SWAP rule again? 1/4 of RAM?

No, they are different things. dd literally only copies data, it's a very simple program and it can be used for regular backups, disk cloning, etc but depending on what you want to do there are better alternatives, if you want to have an easily accessible backup on an external disk, rsync is better. If you are changing computers and want to clone the entire disk, clonezilla is better.

not sure if current systems even need swap
maybe for hybernating

What's a good partition scheme? for easy system backup and fixing?
/
/boot
/home
/swap

/boot - 50mb
/ - 10gb, well more then needed but i dont know if you are going to use multilib
/home - rest of space
/swap 0b

/swap is no longer needed if you have more then 2gb of ram

What's the best distro for beginners?

>/boot - 50mb
That is a bit on the small size.

arch

I meant as mount points not partition size.

Arch because the great wiki

I can fit 3-5 compressed kernels on that, or 2-3 uncompressed
It is more then enough.Most XZ compressed kernels are 5-15mb depending on customization

So, again, read post. Each of those are mount points

Why do people use a separate /boot partition? Having /home as a separate partition I can understand but /boot is entirely useless.

There are GNU/Linux-based UNIX operating systems. OS X has to do with UNIX System V as much as BSDs.

unix is a trademark by apple tho

So you can wipe your / if you fuck it up and not have to deal with your bootloader.

If you have a encrypted system, you need to have boot separate so it can remain unencrypted.

Yes, so you agree with the mount point?
Easier boot-loader fixing.

No.
You can have encrypted /boot.
You can have a keyfile on say a usb drive,which then unlocks your boot loader partition,in its absence it boots to another drive/partition, or it just fails to boot

How often do you wipe the root partition that installing the bootloader (which takes seconds) makes any difference whatsoever.

Correct, also RAID, but most people don't use either.

>this is best if I have something that needs to be backed up frequently and stay updated. But it won't be in compressed format
yes
>the backup media file system need to be the same.
no, but it does need to be a *nix one to preserve everything
>Will it preserve boot flags?
these examples backup files, not partitions or disks, boot flags and boot sectors are outside of their scope
>restoring is simple unpack?
yes

clonezilla will use dd only as a last resort (to backup filesystems it doesn't recognize), but in most cases the backup will not be any larger than the size of the /used/ space on the disk

Does anyone he use SELinux?

that's not how you spell Novell

All you've done there is move /boot to the flashdrive.

Why not put everything on / then?
Your reasoning for not doing it outweigh your reasoning for doing it on other partitions.

/boot
/home
/
can all be on the same mount point, there is no reason for it to be on multiple partitions this decade.

unix.org/trademark.html
>UNIX® is a registered trademark of The Open Group.

>multiple
partitions
what year is this?
we btrfs subvolumes/zfs datasets now

You never used arch before have you?

cnet.com/news/apple-in-court-dispute-over-unix/

>spend ages trying to configure acpi events for acpid so I can suspend the system on lid close
>absolutely nothing works
>no real indication as to why
>don't have /proc/acpi/event but that's deprecated now apparently
>started acpi.service

Guess I'll have to do it manually. Will laptop-mode-tools help at all? I love my system but some things about it are an absolute pain and cli power management is one of them.

>"Apple has countersued, asking a judge to declare that the trademark is invalid, because the term Unix has become generic. "
hilarious

Literally Apple: oh.. uh.. well everyone does it, so it must be ok!

no...
root=UUID lvm= keyfile=LABEL=PENDRIVE:/key

Fill in as needed

I've used arch for 9 years

Did you read the Arch Wiki article?

A separate home partition allows for a complete reinstall without losing your data, something not necessary because you should have backups anyway but useful, however having a separate boot partition is completely useless unless you either encrypt the entire disk or use software raid, which isn't common whatsoever. Either this is a remnant from 2004 or whatever when having a separate boot partition was actually a good practice or it's from people that installed Arch and think because it says so on the wiki it's necessary. Also it doesn't make "fixing the bootloader" easier like someone said earlier, that's bullshit.

Im not fucking arguing againt that, fucking read the god damn chain.
He's arguing not having a /boot partition, when in reality you dont NEED to have a /boot, /home partition, according to his ideology

READ

Then it never broke with you and had to start over?

>A separate home partition allows for a complete reinstall without losing your data
not sure how the two correlate
you can easily reinstall your OS without deleting the contents of the home folder regardless of whether or not it's on the same volume as the rest of the OS

I read it you fucking moron. I'm saying a separate /home partition actually has some uses, others don't.

READ.

Obviously but some distros installers automatically recognize the /home partition during the installing process something useful for beginners. Not everybody uses Arch.

It didnt "break". It "stopped" working beause i didnt read changelog when big things happened.
Oh lawdy gee, pop that flash drive in and boot that bitchass liveusb and downgrade a pacman snapshot and boot back in and read what major changes have happened.

I have never had to start over,outside of say, the first 3 months using it

lol why is sh symlinked to bash on arch?
how does it make sense?
>ftw writing portable scripts so they run as fast as possible, ... except on arch

i just object to how you wrote it as if it simply wasn't possible to reinstall without losing everything on the same volume as the OS
it may line up with what people expect, but people won't learn anything if they're only ever given what they already expect

It's actually worse, look what python is linked to.

>A separate home partition allows for a complete reinstall without losing your data
Just pop up the installation media? and install?

Why all the Arch hate all out of the sudden?
I thought Arch is Sup Forums's preferred distro?

>downgrade a pacman snapshot
you mean chroot, and wipe what your package manager poops.

>I thought Arch is Sup Forums's preferred distro?
No, it's the preferred distro of a bunch of loud and overbearing faggots.

Sup Forums is running gentoo, not arch

>archwomen

You're right, I should've worded it differently.

For example, during the Ubuntu installation when you reach the "Erase entire disk and install Ubuntu" step you can select "Something else" and something like this will appear, all you have to do is uncheck the format option on the /home partition. Ubuntu will do a fresh install but will keep the /home partition unchanged.

NO
I fucking dont
There are a FUCK TON of helpers that create a list of programs you are installing, and will downgrade them for what ever reason you see fit.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rsnapshot
aur.archlinux.org/packages/snap-pac/

I think the women-in-tech thing is the actual sexism.
>women are too stupid to tech
>let's make special websites and help them with their first steps

Noob here, what does that mean

That's even better than windows.
Like that time when backing up wine prefix came up.

how i do dual boot windowss 10 and ubuntu?

gentoo only supports dos/bios boot

I'm pretty sure Gentoo supports UEFI.