/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00TWFHONK/ref=twister_B01LOXOC3C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
github.com/ToxicFrog/bltool/releases
java.com/en/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6R447K9699
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

SInce the old thread was ending, I'll post again.

Is D-sub obsolete? Like when am I ever going to use it? I'm gonna build a pc, so there's no reason to choose a motherboard with a D-sub, r-right?

Is there a way to put a server in to ro mode when it hits a certain % load, while buffering/caching changes that would happen when it is in ro and writing it when the server is back writable?
If so how

Gonna try this again and hope someone with some experience or knowledge on the matter comes around this time.

I'm trying to tweak my GPU's BIOS to enable fanless mode while idling. It's not going too well.
I've followed some guides on that there internet, set the appropriate values in the fan profile, flashed my tweaked BIOS (pic related), but my fans are still spinning at ~860 rpm despite reporting "0%" fan speed, also pic related.

Anyone know what's up with that ?
Alternatively, how much could I fuck up by flashing a BIOS from a different model of the same GPU from the same manufacturer ?
Specifically I have an MSI GTX 960 4GD5T OC, which doesn't have this feature out of the box. I've found the BIOS file from an MSI GTX 960 G1 Gaming, which does come with this feature, but I'm unsure whether flashing that might fuck everything up.

Is it possible to permanently hard brick a graphics card with this stuff, as long as I have hardware available to perform the BIOS flashing and keep a backup of a working BIOS ? If something goes wrong, can I just re-flash the working one and be back to normal ?

>Is D-sub obsolete?
what d-sub?

d-sub is a connector type.

the thing in your pic is a vga connecto,r which is a sub-type of the d-sub

How long does the average CMOS battery last for?

I have a computer that does not hold the proper date and time setting anymore, so I was wondering.

misquoted shiz

15 years

Ok, well the VGA connector then. What do people use it for? I thought displays use HDMI or DVI nowdays.

Legacy support.

they use it to connect video outputting signals to video inputing recievers

>What do people use it for?
for VGA displays, how dense are you my friend?

If you're a vidyababby you probably won't even come close to one if its a desktop.
It's useful to have it in a laptop (for plugging in old projectors that sadly are 80% of all in use that use VGA) and if you're a hobbyist that has a higher that normal chance to ever desire plugging one.

Palememe add-on support is terrible now, what channel of Firefox should I be using, dev, nightly?

Does your card have a bios switch?

You can always use another fork like Cyberfox or Waterfox.

Unfortunately no, it doesn't. If it did I wouldn't be as hesitant to just flash the bios from the :gayming: model.

When trying to launch steam in Antergos, it says I'm missing "vgui2_s.so"

How do I get this file?

from the internetz of course :)

I am looking to buy a TV for $500-700 USD. I generally use my TV for 75% TV shows, 10% movies, 10% sports and 5% video games.

Bonus points if Target sells it as I have some gift cards to use.

So on my laptop I installed linux I've tried several distros like mint/opensuse/Ubuntu/debian etc however I notice a sort of problem when doing so:

On windows when I move the cursor around its smooth and the screen just feels slick vs linux the cursor sort of "lags" and the desktop seems slow like in using a very old screen or something, is there a way to fix this?

Please, someone can explain this joke?

How do i fix these?

What are the best certs for someone with a degree in Computer Science to get?

I guess that it refers to templates.

burn the coating of the wires with some acid and heat and solder them.

that i can study for and shit at home
(i dont want to go back to classes)

someone please halp

Can I somehow play videos in fullscreen, but choose the size it plays in? I want windowed borderless in other words.

Like the "floating for youtube" app for chrome and removing all the UI for mphc.
But for everything playable in a web browser.

Like, virtually creating a screen within my screen, picture in picture.

Not whatsapp?

No it's google messenger

THE SAME WAY I TOLD YOU THE PAST 6 THREADS
YOU DONT

I only asked in the last thread and no one answered me faggit now GTFO

no

i'm running a python script that writes to file in a loop, but when i open that file in file browser it's a blank file, even though the script has written to file multiple files. Is that expected/how can i view files as it gets written?
pushbullet for android is pretty good

you can always go turboautism and start a virtual machine for every video, hit the fullscreen button and configure your host so the VM window is borderless

ok I'll try it thanks

>open mpc-hc
>press '1'
>view > on top > while playing video

is this what you mean?

Serious question here, i just upgraded my gpu to an rx 480, its all good and the card is working but now the fan at the rear on my pc isn't spinning, any ideas of what could be the issue?

is it plugged in

pretty sure it is yes, i pulled out a cable that was in the way of sliding in the graphics card and i put it back in when i was done.

I am somewhat tech illiterate so bear with me. My ISP provides internet through some transmiter on this high up place while there is a reciever up on our roof that has a cable which goes into PC. Something like that. Basically, not a cable internet.
Now, for those who know what kind of internet this is, I want to ask whether there are any technical limitations concerning download and upload speeds, such as the case of ADSL connection that can upload at maximum of 1,4 Mbps which I have learned recently. Not sure how correct this info is.
Anywho, the ISP offers a 12/1 connection, 18/1,5 and 25/???. I would like to know whether the low upload speeds are because technology doesn't allow them to be any higher or because the ISP are jews.

how is your psu quality. is it any cause for concern when adding a power hungry GPU?

its a 600w power supply, did i fuck up?

i'm not following

is it satellite internet?

Go back and double check it.

Can I use heatsink compound as thermal paste

Alright dudes, I will get this meme monitor (LG 25' ultrawide). Unfortunately I don't have the money or space to get the 29' version but ok.
It's like the height of a 23' monitor.

Does anyone have experience with those?
I will edit videos and music, watch a lot of things and play a bit too.
Can you red pill me on the finish of them? is it matte enough so that I won't be able to see my depressed face?

no, that's most likely enough

check your fan plug, you probably accidentally pulled it out. also what type of fan plug is it? 3 prong? 4 prong? is it connected directly to the motherboard or is it connected to the PSU wires?

can't say for sure, even if I knew your computer specs, but 600W feels low
why not dual monitors? you could prob get same quality and more width for cheaper

Dunno man. I think so. Basically they set up a transmitter thing on this huge tower thing we have nearby I believe, set up a reciever thingie on our roof, pointed at said transmitter and from said reciever there goes a cable into this black box and from that into my PC. I honestly have no idea how it works and I can't find the box of the reciever to tell you the name.

I am really confused right now on whether I should build a computer or buy a "gaymen laptop". I have to move to another city in order to study EE/CE, my parents are gonna pay rent and for a new rig or whatever. Normies and family tell me I should get a "gaymen laptop" for muh portability, since I will spend many hours away from home to attend lessons but I want to build my own rig for less money and maybe get a cheapo chromebook for uni. Either way I'm gonna need to run engineering software on my pc, and maybe play a bit of overwatch which is the only game I currently like. Am I going to fuck up if I fall for the >500€ laptop meme? Even a laptop with 4gb of ram and a 950m costs like 680€ here which is ridiculous. I honestly don't want to spend a shit ton of money on something that will be obsolete in a year.
>inb4 underage b&
Any help is appreciated.

ok well if it's some wireless satellite thing, yea that's going to be slow.

I can't seem to find good monitors on those price ranges. Or at least the reviews are not well enough.
I think it is impossible to get a good monitor at £80 to do a dual setup.

im a retard.. when i cut the cable tie ive accidentally cut the thin wire connected to the fan, yep im a retard

>I want to build my own rig for less money and maybe get a cheapo chromebook for uni
You're right, this is the best option.
Though maybe a used thinkpad instead of a chromebook in case you have to run actual software.

Could be some microwave airlink thingamajig.

I don't need super high speeds. I need 3Mbps upload at least though. So how much could it be capable of?

>when i cut the cable tie ive accidentally cut the thin wire connected to the fan

KEK

but it's not that big of a deal, just strip the wires and twist them together and put some black tape around them

thankfully it's not a serious problem, albeit an annoying one.

IS IT true that ultra wide monitor stress the fuck out of the GPUs??

I have a RX 470 4GB NITRO+ . I don't believe that it can't handle an ultra wide monitor..

I haven't used my PS3 in half a year, and I went to turn it on today. It started up for half a second as it normally does, then switched to a flashing red light and gave three quick beeps.

Google says this is an overheating issue, but it's not super hot and I heard the fans spin on when it attempted to start up.

Any ideas?

i want delet "onclickads" on my phone? help me please.

im not an electrician so i wont even attempt it, couldnt i just buy a new fan?

There's a reason why >gaming laptop is a meme. Just get a decent light laptop for travel and build a good pc

it's not complicated at all user, get wire cutters, strip the wired, twist the same colored wires together, put black tape around each wire so the wires don't touch anything, and bam, you have a fan

>connecting wires
>not an electrician so i wont even attempt it
BRUH all you need is scissors and electrical tape. if youre gonna get a new one anyways might as well try this first

tldr: Is there an Excel function that can add only the numbers on a specific side of a decimal point?

I'm trying to keep track of my hours at work since they sometimes fuck up our checks. Anything over five hours is overtime, which is typical for me to get per day. Sumif gives me the sum total, but I can't specify the argument to add only the decimal places of any cell over 5. I know I can just manually separate the OT hours from regular but I was hoping there would be a way to automate it.

>im not an electrician
Yeah stay safe. That 5V will knock you on your ass. My brother died that way!

I'm looking for a lightweight laptop with a decent amount of battery for

wangblows?

I don't really mind.

can i put a gtx 1080 and rx 480 in SLI?

No.

Yeah.

Surely I can get the video link to work in mphc..?

Thanks anons, will consider getting a thinkpad or something similar

It sounds like you have wireless broadband, which is pretty limited. It's one of those internet technologies that you only use when something better isn't available. It's normal for ISPs to artificially limit upload speed regardless of need, but not by that much. The limitation here is that it's much easier for their bigass tower to send high powered signal down to everyone then it is for your tiny antenna to broadcast it back. Not much to be done if that ISP is your only choice. But a lot of people get by with less upload than that. Maybe look into a vps if you need to be uploading a lot of content.

where do files go when i delete it?

Does anyone remember in the late 90's all those computer convention center things? I never got to go to any, but I remember the commercials talking about everything they had at them.
>VGA displays
>hundreds of mice
>etc

On the drive it records location information about the data. Like hey I'm at x2y4 and I'm taking 8 kilobytes. Instead of deleting all 8, it just deletes the location info so anything can use that space. So generally anything you delete is still on the drive until something overwrites it.

Is this any good?
amazon.com/dp/B00TWFHONK/ref=twister_B01LOXOC3C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

i have a 29" ultrawide 2560x1080
r9 380 4gb oc

not sure what you mean by "stress" but my gpu temps are pretty normal, of course you will get less fps running ultrawide vs regular 16:9 1080p

Trying to make wpa_supplicant run at launch, when i run the commad it gives this feedback, but my fstab has no dupes. Any ideas?

analog or digital watch? why?

Pic related is my fstab

I'm trying to import my Steam games to Backloggery. I'm borderline retarded however and can't get this Btool to work. Can someone translate and walk me through what it is I do exactly?

Instructions...

1. Go to github.com/ToxicFrog/bltool/releases and download the latest release zip file.
2. Extract the zip file somewhere you can get to easily via command prompt.
3. Ensure you have a Java Runtime installed java.com/en/ and added to your PATH variable. (i.e. so you can type java -version from the command line anywhere and get a response)
4. Open a terminal and navigate to the extracted zip directory.
5. Type in the command (replacing the full $Value with your usernames and passwords) and press enter to run.

java -jar bltool.jar --from steam --to backloggery --steam-name $STEAM_NAME --bl-name $BL_NAME --bl-pass $BL_PASS

EX:
java -jar bltool.jar --from steam --to backloggery --steam-name joesteamid --bl-name joeuser --bl-pass myblpassword

I think my routers screwed, but im not sure if its my router or the exchange.

When i load a webpage i have to press f5 a few times to get it loading but when i torrent or dl a file its consistent with speed and doesnt drop from what its supposed to be (which makes me think its request part of the modem?).

Also when i host a local ftp server on my 3ds i have to close and open the server a few times before my computer will detect it.

So what specific part of the modem (assuming its the issue) is busted? Obviously ill just replace the modem right?

You have two C: drives. Try something with an installer until you know what fstab is supposed to look like

If I buy a cheap cpu cooler (LC POWER LC-CC-85), will it come with it's own thermal paste 'applied' already like the stock coolers come with? Or would I have to buy the paste as well?

Its all about the current though!

is it possible to cp from ssh to the computer that im actually using?

like im on computer A sshing to computer B and i want a file that's on computer B's network. i can only access it via ssh (unless i use some bullshit ftp client i guess), is there anyway to move it from computer B to computer A?

yes

Is there a good way to clean windows rot? (for windows 7). I am tempted to clean my registry but doing that is supposedly destructive.

Buy a mac and an iphone

I browse images in a directory using feh with the --auto-zoom option so that they always fit feh's window size, but each time I go to another image in a directory I briefly see the stretched image, or image artifacts. How do I make sure the image is loaded fully so I can browse a directory without getting that eyesore?

Some come with it in a tube. My 212 evo did.

nvm,. gonna use steamcompletionist instead

Repostan : since not the same anons in the threads probably.
Tl;DR the -5v power light won't come on with my power supply tester. Does that mean there's a problem with the power supply? Time to RMA?

Say I'm building a PC with 64 gigs of memory, let's say for editing and rendering ultra HD video.

Is there a performance difference between a 4x16 and an 8x8 configuration?

For a bit more money you can get this, which is in full HD. I dont know very much about chromebooks though so you may want to do some research and see what is best for your needs.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6R447K9699

Nope, but 4x16 will let you upgrade to 128 GB in the future if the need arises.

How do i get rid of burn in on my phone?

Is there any way to have a moving wallpaper in Windows 10? And is there a way I can replace the icons like icon packs or something?