Science fiction's best author

Hello fellow anons of Sup Forums.

We're currently running a poll at /lit/ to settle the score on science fiction's best author. Some of you may be interested in this.

I hear that cyberpunk is more popular here. Gibson is currently at count zero. The options are in pic related.

You can vote at:
strawpoll.me/11175239

Original thread:

Bump.

Got a couple of votes already. Gibson's still at zero votes, lol.

>Asimov getting upboated
Care to explain this rationale?

This board's fast.

Not even Gibson would vote for Gibson if you're talking best science fiction writer. He wouldn't even considered the best cyberpunk Author. Neal Stephenson has him beat all day in my mind.

Also, if you're not voting PKD, you deserve to be slapped with a dildo.

>no Egan

Also try /sci/ maybe. And post a link to the /lit/ thread pls.

>even the scififags themselves are now recognizing that they aren't /lit/
Thank fucking god

Where the fuck is Heinlein?

>Harlan Ellison conspicuously missing
Do you even short story?

Where's Orson Scott Card?

Andrew Hussie

>No Herbert
Shit list

>Where the fuck is Heinlein?

Iunno Stranger in a Strange Land was fucking top tier, maybe he was a one-hit wonder.

>predicts half of modern military
>not sci-fi author

Thank God. "Literature" is, for the most part, a sordid business for lifeless academics of the same sort that professes to like Foucault. Fuck them; SF has a vitality they'll forever envy.

Iunno Nabokov is literature and he's got lolis (so hard his book basically inspired the term), pederasty, gay yandere/obssessive idolizing romance, and political refugees. I have fun reading his shit at least, still.

Harsh Mistress is his best work.

That pol basically proofs that /lit/ is absolute trash.

>Philip K. Dick on the first place
Shouldn't scifi be about the future? PKD talks about technology that has long been invented but uses strange terms for it. I don't understand how anybody can handle this.

>Stanisław Lem is number two
Same problem as number one, but also a boring writer

>Wolfe on third position
I guess I can life with that, especially since he is way more into fantasy than scifi.

Literally unread plebs.

Herbert is pretty good but he's not the peak of science fiction.

The only one I've ever heard about and read was Asimov, it's probably a bad idea for me to vote on it

>>Philip K. Dick on the first place
>Shouldn't scifi be about the future

?

Did he wrote any books that are not about alternative future of humans?

>no Strugasky bros
nice """list"""

The bait is strong in this one

>Lem is boring

Nabokov is great but by virtue of being a Russian emigre he was a man of a different era than his American contemporaries (where the rot had already set in by the 1950s). He even takes jabs at exactly the kind of miserable, petty academics I am talking about.

My favorite authors.

Too bad reading them makes me depressed as shit. I've read Snail on the Slope recently and it was fucking terrifying.

>no Egan
garbage list

I have never heard of any of these guys other than Asimov and Gibson.

He wrote about the future about 100 years ago. Why don't you read some scifi books of platon, when you are at it? I heard he has some pretty interesting theories on iron forging.

I can only take scifi seriously when it uses the tech that is already invented as a basis.

VOTED ASIMOV THANKS BEST TIER

we're more Sup Forums.

>votes Asimov
>not even a laser gun

Where the fuck is Banks?????

What are you even talking about?

trash author with meme humour
At least he won't write any new books

pkd is just stoner bullshit.

Whoever wrote the bible

Shitvoted for Gibson

>no Frank Herbert

fuck you, OP.

This ^
I can think of several others who should be on there as well, but leaving out the fucking first grand master himself is inexcusable.

voting for Wolfe thinking he'll be somewhere near the bottom.
I need to get off that damn train

>no Bradbury
>no Strugatsky
>no Heinlein

>No Niven
>No Heinlein
List is automatically awful

No Iain M Banks

Shit taste/lit/

Bunch of elitist limit our choices and give us the 'freedom' to choose our 'favorite' or the 'best'. The end result was already decided before we even cast our vote.

PKD is a pretty good writer, his work always draws me in when I start reading.

Nice change of pace with this thread. Also thanks for reminding me I've had this folder for a while:
[...]/Audiobook Collection Flood - Scifi - Top 100 Sci-Fi Audio Books - 01 To 25 (Zipped and renamed to ZAB)
01 - Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game.zab* 15 - Dan Simmons - Hyperion.zab*
02 - Frank Herbert - Dune.zab* 16 - H G Wells - The Time Machine.zab*
03 - Isaac Asimov - Foundation.zab* 17 - Aldous Huxley - Brave New World.zab*
04 - Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.zab* 18 - Arthur C Clarke - Childhood's End.zab*
05 - George Orwell - 1984.zab* 19 - H G Wells - The War of the Worlds.zab*
06 - Robert A Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land.zab* 20 - Robert A Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.zab*
07 - Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451.zab* 21 - Joe Haldeman - The Forever War.zab*
08 - Arthur C Clarke - 2001 - A Space Odyssey.zab* 22 - Ray Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles.zab*
09 - Isaac Asimov - I, Robot.zab* 23 - Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse Five.zab*
10 - Robert A Heinlein - Starship Troopers.zab* 24 - Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash.zab*
11 - Philip K Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.zab* 25 - Ursula K Le Guin - The Left Hand of Darkness.zab*
12 - William Gibson - Neuromancer.zab* files.txt*
13 - Larry Niven - Ringworld.zab* Sci-Fi Lists - Top 100 Sci-Fi Books of all time.htm*
14 - Arthur C Clarke - Rendezvous With Rama.zab* Top 100 List URL.txt*

>Audiobook

not him but what else do you listen to on long commutes?

>>Audiobook
>Shitty opinion

Time to see what all the fuss about Heinlein's libertarianism is. Didn't notice anything in particular when reading Stranger in a Strange Land.

Capcha: ARTHUR

>No Wells
>No Heinlein
shit list desu

>tfw you will never be a Solarian at the height of the spacers,with an army of robots to take care of and be taken care of