Best way to start programming

this is the best place to start

prove me wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

edx.org/course/subject/computer-science
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I wish there was a site that teaches the computer science fundamentals and theory. Seems like coding bootcamps like CodeAcademy is good for learning the details of programming languages, but without understanding computer science theory like algorithms, the binary number system, computational theories like turing machines, and computer architecture/organization, abstract thinking, low-level languages and all the intertwining relations to all these topics etc., it seems like it's not enough just to learn basics of any particular programming language.

I agree, but this means that programming is reserved only for those with a college degree and necessary passion to learn all this.

I think it's possible to understand computer science fully with enough desire and discipline to learn it through self-study. Ultimately, the learning of anything is a thing that a person does alone anyway. An educator can't 'make' a student learn anything, so it seems like it's possible to learn it all through autodidacticism. But I just wish there were coding bootcamps to teach those computer science fundamentals to make it a little easier.

You know any websites for that matter?

I second this question

There's a few universities that provide free courses online, like MIT. Wikipedia is actually really good for learning anything. Use Wikipedia to learn all the topics you want to know, then search for free books, textbooks. Best way is to just study textbooks and apply the information someone to understand it. Like if you want to understand the binary number system, study assembly language textbooks and some C programming language textbooks and experiment with the source code of Linux, because it's programmed in C and assembly mostly. Just device ways to learn like this with the individual computer science topics.

There's a bunch of sites like this with free courses and they usually always have computer science, Google it.
edx.org/course/subject/computer-science

>falling for the computer science meme
lol

A programmer that understands assembly language and how it relates to the structure of the computer's hardware will always be a better programmer than a programmer who only codes in higher level languages. It's not that hard to understand why.

community college or freecodecamp.

prove me wrong.

This might sound wird but i learned these things after i started to program. I was shit at math and other fields in school cause i learned to solve upcomming tests rather than to actually apply what was taught. Ehen i ran into programming problems that required new ways to solve i started to actually learn about programming in general and how to solve things using math. Not to mention programming taught me a lot of higher math and deifferent ways oft thinking

As someone who started programming with C, I'd totally recommend Javascript as a first time language. It introduces alot of concepts that exist in C such as the ternary operator and data manipulation functions in the standard library and it's easy to get results quickly whetting your appetite for programming

Let me make my point this way. If someone doesn't understand the binary numeral system and how it applies to the hardware of those systems today, how in the hell would that person ever understand quantum numbers and how it applies to quantum computers?

It just limits a person to only code in higher level languages without any understanding of how it relates to the number system of the computer. Imagine a world with only programmers knowledgeable of only higher level languages and no one on Earth had any knowledge of assembly and binary code. This puts the whole civilization at more risk of a "digital dark age."

Exactly what happened to me user, in fact I hated math and now I'm in maths uni because I started programming

This and also look into /sci/ sticky, they provide a book list which should cover most topics of a basic CS curriculum

maybe you should try youtube. There's almost no vulgar language in CM so they should still be up.

Nigger fucking please.

>"I'm going to use this specific call because in decompiles into this specific way in assembly"

Off yourself, no one does this. You're describing a savant and thus stating the obvious.

literally CS50

>no one does this
Spotted the pythonbaby noob programmer. EVERYONE THAT GIVES ANY SHIT ABOUT PERFORMANCE AND OPTIMIZATION (i.e. pretty much any decent C/C++ programmer) does this.

install linux, no gui
buy a c book

there. learn programming, everything else is shit.

You're better off reading a decent book, closing all distractions and trying things out for yourself.

Slower but you'll get a deeper understanding of what you're doing.

Because of niggers like yourself, DotA2's performance plunged from 120fps to 60fps on lower qualities.

Performance matters