/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

aztekcomputers.com/34372UU-LENOVO-3531546.html?source=googleps&gclid=CLfI9vvS_s4CFdKIfgod37IPNQ
ebay.com/itm/391534594280
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-X220-12-5-Laptop-Core-i5-2-5Ghz-8GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-Windows-7-Pro-COA-IBM-/222180899492?hash=item33bb037aa4:g:jL8AAOSwl2pXgD~e
ebay.com/itm/272366042207
github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/Hardware-Flashing-with-Raspberry-Pi
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Should I pull the trigger?

aztekcomputers.com/34372UU-LENOVO-3531546.html?source=googleps&gclid=CLfI9vvS_s4CFdKIfgod37IPNQ

I just got an x220, damn thing is basically mint. No scratches, stickers all on, no marks on any keys, not even a shiny spacebar. This on a 5 year old machine.

I want to buy some touchpad stickers from aliexpress for my w520, but i only find t420 stickers, are they the same size as the w520?
pls respond

Guys is this the recommended alienware screen upgrade?
ebay.com/itm/391534594280

Can you not import from the US, that seems expensive

dropped a 275gb, $70 Crucial MX300 into my T420, here's the Crystal Disk Mark results.

>SSD is a meme

Mighty scores there Bro. Since i was being cheap I just bought a used msata and two Evo 840 ssd for my new t420.

how fast is that msata? I've thought about putting my operating system on one and just using this for storage.

Was prompted to buy this thing because I had a 120gb 850 EVO and a 320gb WD slave drive, and the slave died. I don't want any moving parts anymore

Tomorrow I'll upload some benchmarks after work.
I'm still trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on a w520 or a dell m4600. I already have plenty of batteries, charger and docks but the quadro 2000M is very expensive on that w520.

Does anyone have experience with the X60 tablet? I'm looking for something semi-cheap for art and schoolwork, nothing too resource heavy.

What's a good replacement battery brand? Just got a T410S and need a new one.

Buying a new laptop for school (compsci) for under 1000$ CAD

I was looking at either the Thinkpad 13 or the X260 or maybe the T460, both just under 1000$ thanks to the discount code (thx guys)

I'm leaning towards the Thinkpad 13 because it has 256gb SSD

What do you guys think? I pretty much blindly trust you guys

any good BSD install guides?

13 is only good for having the touch screen.

I think you would be happiest with the T460 with an ssd in it.

A one generation old carbon could be quite nice as well.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-X220-12-5-Laptop-Core-i5-2-5Ghz-8GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-Windows-7-Pro-COA-IBM-/222180899492?hash=item33bb037aa4:g:jL8AAOSwl2pXgD~e

go for it?

>250USD
for fucking what? it's an i5 X220 with a shit screen

x250/Kitty reporting in.

I thought $200-300 was how much x220s usually go for

>X250
I'm so sorry

in the US market? you're joking right? they're floating between 120-150 for the config you posted

>they're floating between 120-150 for the config you posted

where?

With the t460 should I get the i5-6200u processor or should I get the 1080 upgraded display?

If I get both I go over my budget

Is it worth it to get the better graphics?

ebay.com/itm/272366042207 maybe he is referring to this one. Upgrading ram and ssd could be cheap.

That price point I've usually seen for x230s

Posted this last thread.

Should I sell my X220T and get an X250 later down the line? I love it to bits, but it's kinda on the heavy side, bulky, and the battery can't take me to the end of the day on it so I have to bring my cord on longer days. Maybe if I got a 6 cell OEM from Lenovo, but I am not too sure on t.

Should I pull the trigger?

I pulled the trigger, selling my MSI gaming laptop as we speak

I flashed the latest release of GNU Libreboot onto my x200 today. This release offers better video performance and battery life than the Lenovo BIOS. It increases the vram from 32MB to 512MB, and allows for lower CPU states. The high resolution panel on my t500 is supported now too. The boot times are also a lot better than with the stock BIOS.
It is a shame that newer CPUs have Intel ME and other things baked in with required firmware, but I don't need more than a core 2 duo in a laptop. It runs very well with a SSD and 8GB of RAM.

Get the 6-cell OEM and the 3-cell battery slice.

I get almost 10 hours on mine.

So is T420 the last keyboard with trackpoint and 7 row or did I miss something?

I have X61 tablet. Better pen accuracy than X2** but worse than Helix and other more recent tablets, but shit response time. No idea how it affects painting but handwriting is uncomfortable when you can only see what you've written 2-3 letters ago.

Driver settings, something like this.

Sorry 8 row if you include arrows.

Any opinions on the thinkpad yoga 12 with the digitizer?

Trust me on this one get either a:
-T420
-T400
or
-X200

Buy the SSD separately.

You won't regret it.

>I flashed the latest release of GNU Libreboot onto my x200 today. This release offers better video performance and battery life than the Lenovo BIOS. It increases the vram from 32MB to 512MB, and allows for lower CPU states. The high resolution panel on my t500 is supported now too. The boot times are also a lot better than with the stock BIOS.
Can you describe the process?

"""""thinkpad""""

Fuck you Sup Forums I just googled it and bought them stickers
Also got 10 red nipples for a dollar

won't have any resale value by the time it wears anyway

hardware flashing the SPI
there was a detailed guide around that was recently compiled

Listen to
And get a T400.

Perfect keyboard, plenty of performance for work, and none of the extra gpu for playing games (the best way to fail out of cs). Get an SSD and save the rest of your money.

I started compiling a list for things to keep in mind when buying a used Thinkpad
Here is what I have so far:
-Bring a live ISO of another OS you trust so that you can determine whether something is a hardware or software issue
-Enter BIOS, make sure that it is not password locked, if there is a screen prompting for a password then it is password locked and you will not be able to change all settings

-In BIOS, make sure hardware matches the seller's description (core hardware is listed in the BIOS)

-In BIOS, make sure that computrace and anti theft is disabled

-In boot utilities run simple hardware diagnostics if available (newer models will allow you to check the health of memory and storage)
-Boot the device and check that inputs like buttons, touchpad, and keyboard are working properly (make sure they are not disabled in the BIOS before claiming something doesn't work)
-Check physical condition of the item and run a test on ports if possible
-Check if the COA is still on the laptop if planning on using it
-Plug the laptop to a power source or unplug if running off a wall socket to check functionality of battery and power input
-Inspect the screen for dead/stuck pixels or any other screen damage
-For the X220 and X230 series, inspect the screen for white spots (visible especially on light images being displayed)
This is caused by too much padding behind the display that is being pressed against it
-check remaining battery capacity (upower or tlp on GNU/Linux)

>I have X61 tablet. Better pen accuracy than X2** but worse than Helix and other more recent tablets, but shit response time. No idea how it affects painting but handwriting is uncomfortable when you can only see what you've written 2-3 letters ago.
That's not the hardware though. Response is instant using, eg, XInput on Linux.

If anyone has anything general or model specific to add, please reply and I will add it to the list

Eventually, we can get this to be added to one of the guides in OP

>1000CAD computer to be a codemonkey
I love this meme

why are you suggesting x200 instead of x201?

Isn't the X201 is hard to find

how much did you get it for?
i just ordered one for $160, which is well under the outright price listed in the guide. it looked good in the pictures - no shiny keys or any signs of heavy use other than some scratches on the top. hopefully i made a good choice

Just got a T400 for $110 delivered. It's in mint condition.

How do I identify its components?

the bios
speccy

Ah thanks

Another thing, how do I remove stickers and sticker stains?

x201s are very common.
at this point they are far more common than x200s
>thinkpad 13/x260
>CAD computer
are you mentally retarded or something?
the "CAD" computers would be the wXXX and the pXX, not the fucking thin and light machines
I personally take them off, and rub my whole wrist rest with hand sanitizer
then after about a week of use they will all be gone

Why I shouldn't buy a x240? It's only 300€.

So there's this offer of t420 for 100$. It has no disk, 1GB of ram, no power supply and Scandinavian keyboard, when I'm a human. The panels seem to be ok and it has 1600x900 screen.
Is it worth it having in mind I would have to do something with the keyboard, buy a power supply, 4 gigs of ram and ssd?

yes imo

you'll get a brand new keyboard without semen stains

anyone know of an IPS screen that'll work in a t420? 900p resolution is fine.

Trackpoint buttons.
Screen issues with IPS panels.
Old and weak CPU.

Any tips for power saving on Linux?
2 hours got me to 34% on first battery.
I have 3 cell + 3 cell.

Alright, I just like the design.
A x230 would be better? Can I upgrade the monitor to ips or to 1080p?

>IPS
Yes
>1080
Not without trickery. You won't like it anyway.

I'm not saying the X240 is worse, just the X240 has its flaws.

X230:
>LVDS, no 1080+ screen
>thicker and heavier
>consumes more energy

Thank you.
I need a pc for light web browsing, reading pdf, telgram and some yt videos. Obviously I never owned a thinkpad so I don't know what's best. I liked the desing of the x240, x230 seems bulky and x220 it's too old I think.
Don't care much about battery life.

Is there anything wrong with me leaving my X220 plugged in while using it at my desk? Even at full charge?

Anyone can help me? I'm looking for a laptop for new laptop for use in college. My budget it's under 1000€ and I remembered you, the Sup Forums , Sup Forums people with their thinkpads :D and and I researched a bit in ebay for X1 Carbon. I was looking for a 14-15 small/lightweight laptop and find this one in ebay for 980€

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 3 Generation Modell 2015
Intel i7 5500U (Broadwell) 2,4 GHz Turbo 2,9 GHz FSB 1600 MHz
14,0" (35.6cm) Full HD (1920 x 1080) Matt
Intel HD 5500 (in the CPU)
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L
256 GB SSD

What do u think about that? It's a good deal? I can find something interesting with my budget or better buy a brand new asus/msi/acer/hp?
Thank you :D

Jst bought a 12gram t430 for school to replace my breaking down acer aspire. What am I in for? I know its not the msot amazing thinkpad line but it looked decent enough for me, the only thing im worried about is it not having 1600x900 resolution and I heard the HDD gets really fucking hot

> You won't like it anyway.
Are there model-specific issues or did you mean 12" 1080 in general? Because I have Helix and the dpi on it is perfect. [spoiler]The only good thing about it.

I never got the craze behind thinkpads.

I mean, they underperform on any meter of judgement a laptop can score on.
They're as retared as "Gaming laptops". Why would you make a powerful machine that weighs a billion tons when you could be using a desktop PC to do the same thing for half the price?

And in case you need portability that much, why not choose literally anything else on the market, thus getting a more powerful machine, for less money, and that wasn't made with the standards the industry had 20 years ago?

It's the way the 1080 screen is stuffed in it.
It acts as an external display. The Internal display is still there.

Is this bait?

Oh wow. That must have been one interesting mod to develop.

If you're looking for a college laptop, aka something you're going to constantly lug around and will be seen in public with, choose literally anything else.

Thinkpads are more for people who want to do work stuff on them or feel more tech-savvy with unwieldy portable hardware despite never leaving their houses.

In case you care about aesthetics, portability and practicality, just get a normal laptop off the "Our offers this week" rack.
You'll be spending less money and get an overall better machine much more suited to your needs.

What flavor?

These are my usual steps :
1) Find a youtube install guide
2) Read the official handbook (if not in a rush)

Post thinkpad wallpapers.

Thank you :D

Bait spotted but heck, I'll bite...

If you only focus on performance per coin then yes. Build quality is what you pay for. Way above average quality input devices, ruggedness, serviceability for example.
Heavy? Did you even bother to look up what they weigh compared to similar other brands/lines? Most of the machines you see discussed here are 4+ years old so look it up for comparable machines. Makes no sense to compare an X220 to a 2016 Macbook Air for example.

here's a mashup I made of 2 existing thinkpad wallpapers

Daily reminder that this is the only Express Card that will give USB 3.0 support on an X220 with a GNU/Linux OS.

I had to hardware flash the first time, but after that the write lock is removed, so you can update everything in the OS. Here is the guide I used:

github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/Hardware-Flashing-with-Raspberry-Pi

Is there a 54mm slim version?

Will it work with a BBB? I refuse to buy a Socially Just Pi

I've looked and could never find one that works outside of Windows. Also the ones that are different sizes I doubt will even working on anything past Windows 7 at this point.

As far as I can tell this is the only one that's more futureproof, or at least I was able to get it to work on Fedora 24, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, etc.

www.strawpoll.me/11169037/

Yes, that will work too. I would have used a BBB, because I think you can use it without nonfree firmware, but I already had a pi.

Is there any reason to get the newer generations of thinkpads (eg. x1) other than portability?

battery life, warranty, probably faster

Are these temps normal?

Suggestions for the cardbus type2?

No, but on meth they are.

Does TPG know anything about this? Curious if I should bother cleaning it up.

Just picked up an X220 tablet. It idles at about 65C. Is this normal?

It's actually a great machine.

Install tlp

Install too and set charge threshold to 40 - 80.

sounds like it's on the higher end, but it's not dangerous. What temps do you get during use?

About 75C to 80C. Might be worth taking it apart and dusting it. The guy who I got it off said it was sitting in a stock room for a while.

that's still not throttling temps, but dusting it off might reduce fan noise. Worth a try.

>lying on Sup Forums
There is no interface in T420 that would allow such speeds. Just kys

T430/X230 can also take the "old" keyboard from T420.

Mine

Not sure how to feel about this.

Having some fun today /tpg/?

So today I got home and found my X200s completely drained for some reason. No big deal I thought, but now it won't take any charge.. The battery indicator is just blinking orange.

Am I screwed? The battery life was stellar earlier

Not really...