Game Maker on Humble Bundle

The humble bundle for gamemaker looks fantastic, cost-wise you'd be saving hundreds of dollars if you get all the modules. Why are they practically give it away? Definitely getting it, I liked playing around with it in a game design class I took as an elective, and hell Undertale was made using it. Say what you will about Undertale but it was well made.

What are your experiences/opinions on Game Maker?

I'm gonna pick it up as well. Its a pretty damn good deal for all the stuff you get, even if I don't use it.

why are you shilling this here ? No one will be interested.

So what languages do I need to know to be able to use it? I'm a html based programmer btw.

Gamemaker Studio 2.0 is probably hitting soon.

I'm not a shill I'm actually just interested in knowing if yall think its shit or not...also humble bundle is a charity so..lol.

Game Maker Language haha

It uses gml which is based on c. Its really easy to learn. Dont nother with the drag and drop part of gamemaker unless you are 6 years old

Is it possible to make a proper game that I could bring to market with this thing? Or use the skills learned to make an actual game?

I don't know nothing about it man

It's not that it's shit, it's easy to pick up and start doing stuff but it's limited in many ways. I would assume Sup Forumsentoomen into gamedev are working with c or c++ maybe python and either make their own engine or just use libraries.
I'd say if you want to make games for fun or even sell them go and try it, but if you want to be a good game programmer you should start learning a language right now instead.

Undertale was made in Game Maker, and the bundle has a bunch of games made in it and their source codes to play around with

>.also humble bundle is a charity so
only a % of the fund

Interesting. I may have to look into this for a hobby.

Many of those retro indie games you see floating around are made with Game Maker. I forgot the name of the genre but basically those games that make you want to rip your hair out... harder megaman, castlevania type games

My favorite game, Bloodbath Kavkaz, was programmed in Gayme Maker.

Uhh, is it platformer? Just throwing out an idea

They have HTML5, Android, iOS, and one other language bundle for $15

it's not a language they add, it's an export module.

Nah. I visited my game site. The term they use is roguelike.

i'd like to interject for a moment but what they call roguelikes are actually roguelites.

No one is going to make anything good or serious on software named "Game Maker". If it's on Humble Bundle, then it's clearly desperately trying to get users that complete a project to get the shit software out there more.

It's trash, you're a shill unironically because I can tell by the way you type, you should feel bad for amounting your life to this, and you're better off using alternatives like Unity, Unreal, etc.

Go to /vg/ and post this in the game dev general. No one here has a need for this because everyone here is an adult.

but muh Undertale it was great. Had a bunch of interesting boss fight mechanics and a shit load of alternate endings. I know its not extensive and rather limited, but it is still entirely capable of making charming full fledged games and its easy to learn. I'm not gonna make a "real" game and learn code, but I had fun making shitty little games and might get motivated to learn more about other alternatives if I have fun doin it!

i just paid $1 to get the professional license, not a bad deal when on the site it says it's $150 even though i've never made a game

lets you get rid of the mandatory splash screen saying it was made in game maker

Eh, some of them are. Some of them are legit difficult as fuck. I know many label Shovel Knight as roguelike for example but I found it pretty simple.

Hotline Miami and Spelunky were created with Game Maker. Your arguments are invalid.

Yeah the steam price for everything is $800 vs the fifteen here on the bundle. I'm really itching to buy it even though I know I'll never use it. But I'm just that retarded.

A Metroid 2 Remake is fuckin great. It is on par with Super Metroid and far superior to the original Metroid 2 but the hardware limitations have a lot to do with that of course.

>language
>android
>ios
this better be bait

I have never used game maker since high school about 6 years ago.

I'm probably going to never use this, but it might be nice to know I can make some shitty android gamens one day.

most likely theyre putting it on humble bundle because gamemaker 2 may be in the works. a few of my friends who use it got emails about beta testing something (didn't actually mention what it was) from yoyo games around the same time as this humble bundle came out.

gamemaker itself is pretty good for 2d games, provided you use code, not the shitty drag and drop things.

>html programmer
You got me

>i don't know how to design fair bosses from a game that was 100% fair
No, it's not. Original is thousands of times better, but today's kids won't play it because the graphics make them cry.

You have to be an Apple Developer to get the iOS module to work.

I chucked them a couple bucks to get the deal and whatever the fuck the games were on steam. I don't even remember because I have so many of these cheap-ass games.

;)

GameMakerfag reporting in.
I like GM:S, it has an amazing learning curve and it's not as spoonfeeding as Unity (where you can literally drag-n-drop entire fucking mechanics).
If you don't know any code you can learn with the included GML, and if you do know you can reassign existing languages to it (like C++, C#, Java) so you can code with what you know but with a somewhat visual perspective.
Even if you're too interested, you should get it, each export module costs about $250 and now everything's at $15. What a deal.
I recently found out that you can export to Xbox One with the UWP module, and APPARENTLY to Wii U with the HTML5 module.
Just like said, if you want to try making games right away without knowing much, this is your thing.

God I fucking hope.

>If you don't know any code you can learn with the included GML, and if you do know you can reassign existing languages to it (like C++, C#, Java) so you can code with what you know but with a somewhat visual perspective.

im interested, how can you do that

I have no interest in ever using GMS but I saw it was $15 for $800 worth of licenses and shit so I had to buy it. You got me, assholes.

Nevermind, I got confused. You can change the text editor, not the language. Sorry.

well, how do you do that then i guess

Well, you go to Preferences and you go to a tab called "Editors".
Normally GM:S comes with a lot of first-party editors, like a code editor, a paint-like editor, sound player. But you can set each editor to an external application.
Like you can set the code editor to shit like Notepad++ or Sublime, the sprite editor to Flash or Photoshop, sound editor to Audacity. Who knows?
Pic related, I haven't changed my defaults.

>I'm not a shill

No. You're a namefag; which is even worse.