Go to take an engineering program

>Go to take an engineering program
>Know nearly nothing about programming
>They tell me I have to take a programming course to learn C

How fucked am I? Would I be able to learn it like learning a different language?

C is easy

>image
story of my life

It's not the easiest of paradigms, but it's good to start with. You'll make it.

No. It's not hard, but it's not easy.

If you're a serious engineering student then you should have no problem with programming so long as you put in some effort.

It's somewhat like learning a different language, but it's easier because it's more about expressing small patterns of logic.

Is this course part of the engineering program?

Well they gave me this book for it. I went through it and learned how to make the computer just say Hello. I have my first lab for it today which the professor said he'll be teaching us how to use Code Blocks

I heard that knowing C is basically like C++ but with a few minor differences. How true is that? Is it also possible to learn things like HTML and JAVA with my knowledge of C?
I'm in school for Electrical Engineering Technology. I'm going to be a Weapon's Engineer for the military and they want me to know some programming to be able to fix the guns on the ships.

Does anyone here use Sololearn?

At least you have a group of people to go to.

that stopped a long long time ago.

> I'm going to be a Weapon's Engineer for the military and they want me to know some programming to be able to fix the guns on the ships.

C is not for you.

It's just a beginner's course. Keep in mind I have no knowledge of any programing expect for what I've read in the text book for this class.

At least you have no one else to disappoint.

except myself

In what language do weapons talk?

No idea. I just swore in two weeks ago and this is the first week of school for me. This summer I'm suppose to go to basic training then after that go out to one of the naval bases to get on site training. Then back to school when the summer is over.

I hope it is assembly.
People hate assembly.

Now that's just rude

Depends. Melee weapons use C# or Bash.

So learning C will help me with C# right?

the more programming experience you get the better. The book "The C programming language" by kerninghan and Ritchie is a good place to start. One of the authors of that book, Dennis Ritchie invented C.
When you are first learning programming you are faced with learning what the different aspects of a language are(loops, data types,boolean algebra, control statements,...), syntax(the rules of the language) and how to actually put the pieces together to solve the problem.

you want to start your programming assignments early, if you leave it to the last minute expect tears
don't let people leech off your work because they might submit it as their own

I'll check out that book when I get home. I have "C Programming" by K.N. King right now.

I should be alright with not having people copy me. I'm surrounded by people that can't speak english.

C is easy op, you can learn the basics (what they'll want you to learn) in under a week

So far in class I learned how to tell the computer to store info. But that's about it.

CodeBlock

Haha, enjoy no productivity

Also, C sucks ass.
It's like they literally ask you to reinvent the wheel.

It was a joke. C# is pronounced C sharp and bash is also a term for beating people.

C and C++ and C# are different languages.
Knowing one will not automatically make you know the other.
It is like when people from Scotland, people from US and people from Australia talk together.
They can all convey a message, but it is not the same language.
If you get a course in C, then C is fine.
Doing something on your own is less effective, so stick with the course and see where it will take you.

Kek

Just like the rest of college, just do the assignments and listen to the teacher

You can pick up the basics of C in a few hours.

I'm guessing by weapons engineer and being in an electrical engineering technology program the goal is to deal with the embedded controllers for said weapons. Which means either C or modeling hardware with Verilog/vhdl.

Computers is hard job. There's a lot of complicated shit going on there that would take lifetimes to master.

>Electrical Engineering Technology
Don't say you're in an engineering program kudasai

Engineering technology is what the military uses

It's so they don't lose employees to the commercial sector

Companies only care about actual engineers, however the military will only pay for "technology" degrees, because after you're done paying off your obligation to the military (normally it's 4 years service for a 4 year degree) what would stop you from getting a higher paying job at an engineering firm?

Well your non engineering degree will

They know the same shit but their degree is useless