Kodi

What's the best device for this? I was thinking of getting the Fire TV Stick.

Other urls found in this thread:

hd-plex.com/hdplex-h1.s-fanless-computer-case.html
asrock.com/nettop/Intel/Mini Series (Bay Trail-D)/
minix.com.hk/
youtube.com/watch?v=cELXpHDEoDQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what is this shit
just use chromecast

custom built fanless x86 computer like hd-plex.com/hdplex-h1.s-fanless-computer-case.html

I'd use an orange pi

Your phone plus chromecast

So what is this thing?

rpi

I just built my parents an old core2 quad system and hooked it up to the tv with one of those keyboard/trackpad combos.

they cancelled their traditional TV service and save money now.

You're a good son.

I did the exact same thing, it's a piece of shit old parts frankenstein box that works fucking fantastic for TV / Movie downloads

AMD Athlon X2 6000+
2GB RAM
m-Atx board that has HDMI and Toslink on it
Boot LibreElec from USB

What's an alternative for IPTV?

Am using one of thise little bastards for my Kodi hookup.
asrock.com/nettop/Intel/Mini Series (Bay Trail-D)/

Running Arch Linux as base os and Kodi auto starts up on boot.

Had this setup for a long time and see no reason to go hipster and get a Chromecast.

install exodus, stream any tv show/movie you can imagine

I feel like an old person when I see all these programs. Can someone please explain what the purpose is of these applications?

I don't see what kodi/plex etc can do that I can't do over ssh/ftp/sftp. Is it just a fancy frontend? Why are people so excited about it?

see

FireTV Stick doesn't have VC1 support so don't get it if you watch Remux

That doesn't even remotely answer my question. So with the exodus you can stream movies from streaming sites with kodi? Maybe I don't watch enough movies to appreciate the work people apparently believe it saves. If I wanted to do that I'd just fetch the torrent on the file server (some clients will do this easily and automatically), download the torrent in preview download mode (I don't need it since I'll download movies of virtually any quality in a a minute or two), then just stream the video file via sftp from the server on whatever device you're using. I don't really see how kodi, with or without that plugin, will help other than potentially making the browsing a few seconds faster. Am I wrong about this?

>Remux
What's that?

Runs great on an RPi 3

minix.com.hk/

Works flawlessly, it might cost more than other cheaper options.

I'm extremely happy with it though, check amazon.

Does anyone use the linux distro? How is it? I like Kodi for beaming shit to my dad's samsung smart TV, but I'm gunna move out and I have a set of guts I'm gunna turn into a HTPC for whatever TV I decide to buy.

what's the best way to go about doing that?

it's easy, plug and play, click and go. no need for torrents, downloaders, encoder packs, etc.

it's perfect for lazy fucks like me.

plus my isp won't block it like they do whenever i try to torrent shit. i've been using exodus for years and i haven't gotten any red flags.

Shield TV because it supports 4k60.

I did that with an old laptop, and control it with my phone.

Cancelled cable right after everything was running.

I've set up a bunch of firesticks for friends. It's the best entry level device in my opinion. Obviously it will be a little bit laggy navigating the kodi app and loading the streams but once you're streaming you're good to go. It's what I use and I see no reason to upgrade.

The best device for kodi is the nvidia shield.

Exodus or Gensis?

Ideally, your TV would either let you install your own apps or have a good app already installed that is capable of streaming from any upnp server.
Now there are TVs like that out there, but since you can't test out the streaming apps in a store you have to buy a damn tv, test it at home, and take it back to the store and get a refund 3 fucking times before you find a tv that really is running "android TV" like the idiot salespeople say

This
/thread

I have a Nexus Player which fucking blows ass.

How well would it work as a Kodi box?

chromecast is literally the same thing with spyware

pls respond

kodi is a media streaming client whereas plex is a media streaming server. The main reason why I personally choose to put all my movies/music/whatever on a server is so I can listen to music without using a shitty streaming site like spotify (plus my internet goes out a lot, so spotify isn't always an option) and don't have to have 3 copies of every CD or movie I've bought scattered across every one of my laptops; keep everything centralized. Plus I'll sometimes use it to listen to music while I'm going to sleep (or I would if direct tv didn't remove that feature, but that's besides the point), and the only things in my bedroom I can use to do that are a cable box and a dvd player. Neither of these devices can use ssh/ftp (or rather, I'm too lazy to put in the effort it would take to get a working ssh client on either of those things), so I pretty much have to use a upnp server in order to listen to music in my bedroom without breaking out my laptop
The reason I use media server software is because (correct me if I'm wrong here), the only way you can use ssh or ftp to e.g. listen to music is by downloading the file to whatever is going to be playing the music and then open it in some media player. Now this might be acceptable for music (assuming everything is stored in a lossy format), but it makes watching movies on a laptop that doesn't have the movie file already excruciatingly painful even on the same network, and completely impossible for my most common use case, using a vpn to watch movies on my server from some hotel out in nowhere Arkansas

You can install Kodi on anything.. whats your budget. so long as you got something for video at 1080p your golden. or even just 720p.

It's a good looking front end that makes everything look 100x better and easier for population.

I have a server with RAID1 of 16TB, yes I could open it up manually and view files. But plex and kodi install on every smart TV in my house and my partner can easily view and watch anything anytime.

The best unit is an Intel NUC, Have one mounted on the back of my main theatre room but obviously an expensive option ($600) or so. But wouldn't have it any other way mounted to the back of my TV now and having a useful system for everything else theatre room requires.

My father made his own with OpenELEC and few TB of movies and series

This program isn't for you, it's a very nice front end to play media from and does other shit.

If you're happy doing what you do that's fine, personally I prefer using this because when I have friends/family over I just boot up my HTPC and choose something to watch. It automatically sticks album art and fetches movie/show information making a much more pleasant experience than cocking around with anything else.

except a roku TV. Those only allow applications built using they're special snowflake scripting language and the kodi dev team is lazy and doesn't want to port it over (I wouldn't want to either, but it still sucks).

I use a raspberry pi with osmc and it runs pretty good

Depends what you want to watch. Most devices handle hls and http streams fine. The .ts streams from some pirate iptv services make my raspberry pi 3 lag like hell but it plays rtmp streams amazingly well. RTMP is unstable on some android devices, fantastic on fire tv (not stick).

Just about anything with a USB port handles files up to 1080p just fine. I don't stream on my network so I can't say much about it.

Exodus was released February this year m8

I bought a 40€ android tv box from some unknown chinese company which already had Kodi installed + some add ons which might not be legal. It runs perfectly and plays all my korean cartoons without issues.
I also use my phone as a touchpad + keyboard for that tv box.

banana pi

This. NVidia FTW...

I reinstalled my win7 and now every time I click on anything on my main small screen kodi minimises on the TV. Previously I was able to watch sth on the big screen and browse the Web on the other. Anyone knows how to fix this?

Got a nexus player when it was heavily discounted.

He probably meant all the others like it that have been popping up and dying for years.

>Live in Bongistan
>have BT internet (notorious for being very restricted)
>nearly every link on Kodi is blocked
>maybe works 40% of the time
>can usually get around it with a VPN

Fuck BT.

>exodus
Holy shit this is the best thing ever, thanks user!

Cheapest best solution is a second hand computer of some sort. A friends old laptop or something should do fine.
OpenELEC gives you great performance efficiency.

Exodus, but I personally use phoenix

Please anyone? Its really annoying ffs

what chinkbox or ARM singlebread computer can I use that has 4k and can in2 n64 emulation @ at least 30fps?

Nice meme media center.
12 years and he still don't know how to index your shit movie folder without leftover. Also nice external media support. JFK retarded devs.

a remux is when you take media streams and place them into a new container as-is
such as ripping a dvd or blu-ray to an mkv without transcoding

some blu-ray discs have VC-1 encoded video instead of the more common H.264

Can confirm that the firestick is a great device for using with Kodi. It's not the same as a chromecast, chromecast can't run kodi, can't run exodus and thus you don't get the infinite library of stuff to watch.
Firestick is ideal for this and this alone. Feels pretty responsive and works good with the remote.
Can definately recommend for use with a big TV in a front-room/lounge type setup.

Why would I use Kodi instead of downloading a torrent, getting better quality and watching it?

why do people think kodi is only for streaming?

What else is there to do with it? What are some good plugins?

Kodi is for that fucktard.

>What else is there to do with it?
play local media which you torrented? i've been using it for this for about a decade

I used one of those passively cooled chink PCs that look like a Mac Mini and are Celeron powered with an SSD for total silence and an air mouse to control it

Kodi is an open source media streaming device and nice way to watch movies, live tv etc for absolutely fuck all. I use it via a fire stick and works like a charm.

I've actually stopped torrenting since using Kodi.

I tried "kodi launcher" but it dindu shit. Apparently it was supposed to disable the "focus" on kodi. Fuck how to do this guys?

I bought the Q-Box from amazon, Haven't got it yet so i can't say how good it will be but the video reviews of it seems good.

youtube.com/watch?v=cELXpHDEoDQ

Not helping, but I wouldn't have thought it's built for multitasking since it's purpose is a full screen media player.

How do you people replace your cable service?

Live TV is almost always streaming at sub HD and the streams don't load 70% of the time.

Why can't you use Kodi to play your Rss'd torrents

Streaming is for niggers, Torrent the movies you want then transfer the files to your kodi box.

i bought an android box on amazon for like $45 USD and it's been working pretty well.

Because you can do all that, then have Kodi automatically find it, find matching information (cover art, IMDb info, etc) along with the rest of your library to easily select whenever you want to watch it.