/w7g/ - Windows 7 general

A general for all those who are sticking to the best modern Microsoft Operating System.

>Microsoft Download Centre
microsoft.com/en-gb/download

>Direct X 9 Updater
microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=34429

>Remote Server Administration Tools
microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=7887

>Convenience update (most patches up to April 2016)
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

>30 Free Open Source softwares for Windows
thesimpledollar.com/30-essential-pieces-of-free-and-open-software-for-windows/

>Ninite - Install multiple apps at once
ninite.com/

>Ninite Lifehacker Pack
>ninite.com/lifehacker

>Windows 7 Master Control Panel
tomshardware.com/news/GodMode-Windows-7-How-to,9345.html

>Windows and Office ISO download tool
heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

>Spybot Anti-Beacon
safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

>CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy
piriform.com/download

>Antivirus/AntiMalware Downloads
filehippo.com/software/antimalware/

>Alternative Browsers
filehippo.com/software/internet/

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20160908045934/http://wu.krelay.de/en/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161647
sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976932
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9.msu
heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool
nanami-tan.info
blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/
howtogeek.com/255540/the-last-windows-7-iso-youll-ever-need-how-to-slipstream-the-convenience-rollup/
microsoft.com/en-gb/download
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574
ninite.com/
asus.com/support/Download/3/516/0/5/iDj76sQprYFuQe5J/30/
sdi-tool.org/
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
ninite.com/lifehacker
decentsecurity.com/#/securing-your-computer/
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-17153/hasexp-1/Microsoft-Windows-7.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>forgetting this
web.archive.org/web/20160908045934/http://wu.krelay.de/en/

It's actually listed as a pre-requisite for the Convenience Update, so I didn't think it worth mentioning but thank you.

What is best Windows AV?

Bamp

>How to get your Windows 7 fully updated and working after fresh install

Get these and install in order if you want to use Windows Update without any dumb bug:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161647
sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

Or get all the updates at once:
>support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976932
(only if you don't have Service Pack 1 installed)
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9.msu

>EXTRA
>Get Windows 7 for free

Windows 7 ricing resource:
nanami-tan.info

There goes a bump, interesting thread.

Anyone knows a safe way to remix a Full iso with the latest WSUS?

blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

Or this (looks easier, but I never tried)

howtogeek.com/255540/the-last-windows-7-iso-youll-ever-need-how-to-slipstream-the-convenience-rollup/

thingken of downgrading

the spying stuff might even be really overblown (no shill) but I hate this operating system regardless

its like it always has its fingers in my shit and i just want to be left alone

Does Windows 7 spy too?

It has been implied that all windows do since XP, but atleast nothing is W10 tier.

How have to check them up, the problem is that I wanted to use it on a AIO version I have. Did add the wsusoffline installer, but it takes way too log to install everything.

Why can't we just make a windows general instead?

>upgrade to botnet 10
>begin the thirty minute process of cranking everything down to 0
>can only go as low as "basic" on diagnostics and usage data
>click more info

Basic
Basic sends data that is vital to the operation of Windows. It helps keep Windows and apps secure, up to date, and running properly by letting Microsoft know the capabilities of your device, what is installed, and whether Windows is operating correctly. Basic includes basic error reporting back to Microsoft. Basic data consists of:

•Configuration data, including the manufacturer of your device, model, number of processors, display size and resolution, date, region and language settings, and other data about the capabilities of the device.

•The software (including drivers and firmware supplied by device manufacturers), installed on the device.

•Performance and reliability data, such as which programs are launched on a device, how long they run, how quickly they respond to input, how many problems are experienced with an app or device, and how quickly information is sent or received over a network connection.

•Network and connection data, such as the device's IP address, number of network connections in use, and data about the networks you connect to, such as mobile networks, Bluetooth, and identifiers (BSSID and SSID), connection requirements and speed of Wi-Fi networks you connect to.

•Other hardware devices connected to the device.

JUST

Arch autists will rage

>microsoft.com/en-gb/download
how to get win7 pro ? You can't even buy it from their site.

If you want to upgrade from a cheaper version of 7 to ultimate, just enter a matching key from the windows loader ini file into "Windows alltime upgrade", let the upgrade run and reinstall windows loader.

I wish they would just make an SP2 ISO or that slipstreaming wasn't fucking painful, because I fucking cannot stand Windows 10. It's like a real straw man of Windows by freetards.

I would like to 'downgrade' to 7 from 10 but I don't know if I have proper driver support. I'm using an Asus F555L.

>support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574
>look at the list of known bugs and issues
nope, nope, nope
fuck that, and fuck this

>ninite.com/
>ninite
botnet installer shit, get the programs from the source

asus.com/support/Download/3/516/0/5/iDj76sQprYFuQe5J/30/

Looks like it to me. Run SDI from sdi-tool.org/ after installing and you should be good to go. Get the offline version if you can, just in case.

You're already using Windows and are still worried about botnets?

> convenience pack
> not using WSUS

Not even bait, I'm seriously asking you why you wouldn't use WSUS. It's as fast as you OS will go, and if you're not incompetent you'll use it right the second or third time around (and realize to check all the pertinent boxes).

It's totally professional, very simple, lightweight, and elegant. I completely recommend it.

> inb4"just windows updates"

Fallacious and you've never used it. It updates .NET, C++ redistributable, and Office if you have it (and more I think).

So seriously, I like the idea of w7g, add this pls.

(And go fucking look it up yourself for the site)

I have a 7 COA that I used to install W10 since Microsoft doesn't host 7's ISO anymore. Now that I've found alternate sources for that ISO file, am I fucked since I already used it for W10?

I don't mind W10, but I feel it's a little heavy on my old laptop.

Why would you want to stay on this operating system? Any problems that are present now are basically going to be here forever since they no longer are going to focus on windows 7.

For instance, recently my CPU had been idling at 30-40% on Windows 7. Turned out that the windows update service under the svchost process was responsible.

I can understand that you may not like windows 10 or other operating systems compared to windows 7, but at least those alternatives still have room to improve, and may not be owned by incompetent companies that break their own software.

>For instance, recently my CPU had been idling at 30-40% on Windows 7. Turned out that the windows update service under the svchost process was responsible
That's your fucking fault for not turning the settings down, faggot. I bet you had it on automatic.

For future reference

>>> Sup Forumssqt

But to actually answer your question, no. You're fine. Just try and install.

>"doesn't work"

Call microshaft, they'll help you install

>"why/how?"

>"how"

Automated system works ezpz.

>"Why"

Your key is good for win7 on an oem profile with an oem key. Your "upgrade" to 10 was actually just reserving a key in their system (meaning you have it for life).

In English, you own BOTH 7 and 10 for that specific machine. So when you call you WILL get activation - if the machine doesn't work a person will help you.

Windows licensing. Pretty useful shit.

t. I.T. consultant that gets paid

Just update the Windows Update, it's a know problem.

Any tips for securing a Win7 image?

Literally only thing I like in Windows 10 over Windows 7 is the fact that you can paste into commandline. How can I do this in win7?

God forbid he expect the flagship product of one of the biggest companies on the planet to have a logical design.

I actually had it on manual updates. I had not updated in some time, yet it was eating my resources doing what exactly?

I just disabled it instead. Eventually I'll just grab a bundled patch like the one in the OP.

>right-click in CMD >left-click the option: paste
Ctrl+V just types ^V use the mouse method instead it's less than a second anyway.

Oh god one of these tards.

"Hurrrr it shud b perfic cuz I gib monie"

No you fuck, it's an operating system. It breaks with patches, it fails out, it flops in ways so complicated an entire career path is dedicated to fixing that shit. So yes, you have to properly configure it, like slackware debain arch and any other operating system, you have to fucking fix it.

Otherwise, get off this board and pay someone to give you that "personal touch."

Common issues are
>memory leaks
>having it check and download but not installing

Did you reboot your system and update?

>no

Do these and don't blame microshaft.

> yes

Get someone to be your tech support that bills you for your bitching, god knows I would.

You just hate everyone don't you.

How is the boot time on W7 with a SSD? I'm getting 30 sec with a shitty WD Green I found laying around.

air gapped

>God forbid he expect the flagship product of one of the biggest companies on the planet to have a logical design.
>Microsoft
>logical design
>implying it's not all stolen design
They keep stealing from Apple, they're even trying to steal the closed garden idea.

4 seconds if you turn off BIOS countdown + fast boot enabled in BIOS. By the time my monitor finishes turning on I'm already on desktop.
It's the same with 8.1/10.

Cool, just got my first SSD and planning to install W7 and Debian.

sharing this pic

Not Him. Good point. High performance always costs. Any purchase in technology is an entry point that gives you a certain level of performance. If you want more you have to work at it or pay some one to do it for you. Or you just have to keep buying more and more stuff.

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
I just reinstalled W7 Ultimate.

Are you hibernating?

No, I turned that shit off. powercfg -h off

And before I fucking forget:

>Step 1: Search for netplwiz in the Windows search box and hit the Enter key.
>Step 2: Uncheck the box next to "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" and click OK.

Cool, I might get one then.

Why?

Thank you, any tips for W7 + an SSD?

>update tool so utterly broken that it eats up resources in the background for basically no reason

No, fuck you, this is bad by free-as-in-beer standards.

kek, that's probably true. Windows 7 basically ripped off KDE 4.

It's fucking tedious entering a user login and password when there's no one else using the computer but you.

Check if TRIM is enabled.
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
If = 0, it is turned on. If = 1, it is turned off, so turn it on.
Modern SSDs are good enough for everyday consumer grade use that even if you pound the shit out of the read/write it won't die until you have to upgrade in 8-10 years.
Bigger SSDs = somewhat faster read/write.

>kek, that's probably true
This image is for you.

Fucking dank thank you

>KMS Pico
What kind of faggot still uses that?

>paying $100 for win 7

yeah ok

>What is/ was windows blinds/ whatever
>needing built-in rice to rationalize an OS

ignorant mac fanboys people

I know, I'm saying I agree.

The real decent thing about 7 is that it's not intentionally laden with bullshit that nobody ever wanted. The fact that I have to fucking edit the registry to disable some ridiculous Xbox app "Game DVR" horseshit to smoothly play Dota 2 when it works properly in Linux by default is nothing short of incredible.

>usability features
>rice

>>ninite.com/lifehacker
>uTorrent
lmao

Are ccleaner and rocketdock bad? I still use both.

>Windows Blinds
>good
Worse than rainmeter. Pic related.

>The real decent thing about 7 is that it's not intentionally laden with bullshit that nobody ever wanted.
It doesn't escape from having bullshit, user.
I don't want a fucking maintenance schedule that eats up my CPU.
I don't want a media center that also eats up my CPU.
7 has bloat, it takes actual ricing to get rid of features you deem unnecessary.

For what do you use them?

Ccleaner is obvious, rocketdock for all my pirated games and emulators, its set on autohide so it doesnt get in the way of my riced desktop.

This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

If you're staying on Windows you might as well upgrade to Win10. If not, you should just go all the way and jump ship to Linux.

What you people are doing is the equivalent of using Windows 95 when Windows XP was already out. Your operating system will soon be out of support and will receive no more security updates. Win7 has vulnerabilities up the ass.

Not to mention that half of you probably think you're real smart because you're running a pirated Windows 7 copy. Think about it, you geniuses. The team that cracked it certainly didn't do it out of love and good will. They did it to exploit its users and more than certainly have comrpomised the operating system to the point where it would be undetectable by an end user. You could be a slave in a literal botnet ran by chinese hackers and you'd never know it.

Either man up and go all the way with Linux, or take the pussy route and upgrade to Windows 10 to actually have your security covered (but under full NSA botnet). Windows 7 at this point is the retard route. Double retard route if you pirated it.

Think about that.

>using outdated abandonware

>What you people are doing is the equivalent of using Windows 95 when Windows XP was already out.
Wrong, if you check the version number it still says fucking VISTA on 7/8.1/10

That wouldn't surprise me, Microsoft's code is literal legacy spaghetti built on top of legacy spaghetti. Nobody knows how anything works over there. They just do stuff as it's always been done and hope nothing breaks (which it does)

I've been using free Spybot and Malware Bytes. ClamAV is free software AV. You need to make sure your browser is hardened most importantly.

what is the benefit of using W10?

i'm not worried about vulnerabilities.

Windows XP has been had its own threads. W10 doesn't deserve thread not specifically for ridicule. Windows 8.1 needs to lurk moar. Who cares about Vista? It's Windows 7 alpha.

>I'm not worried about vulnerabilities.
Security is the number one thing in computers. What people don't understand is that you don't need to be an important person to get hacked. Attacks can be so effortless and sofisticated that they can just be let out in the wild and people will get hacked without them even doing anything wrong. Something as stupid as a drive-by download or an exploit can get you anywhere, anytime. A website or file you open can literally check the versions of the programs and security patches you're running and, if it detects you're behind and vulnerable to X exploit, it will run said X exploit, And this works 90% of the time on otherwise innocent bystanders because people. don't, upgrade. their. shit.

>What's the benefit of using W10?
You're receiving security patches constantly that fix exploits. 0-days get patched. You stay on top of shit.

If you don't do these things, you're another in the millions of targets that take zero-effort to compromise and steal all your shit, without you even having to download totally_not_a_virus.exe

>Something as stupid as a drive-by download or an exploit can get you anywhere
but this won't happen because i use adblock and noscript as well as https everywhere.

the only way i will get infected is if i whitelist a domain that later gets compromised, or i infect myself with deliberately downloaded infected files.

so again, what is the benefit of W10 if security is not in question?

Games optimized for DX12.
Built-in workspaces.
WDDM 2.0
That's it. Rest is crap.

Welcome back, dummy.

>you can't even buy it from their site

I'm not shilling for Windows 10, so I don't have a sales pitch for you. I run Linux on most of my computers, and Win10 on only a few. I'm telling you from the angle of common sense, which is security. If you seriously think browser plugins are enough defense for your outdated system then we can just part ways right now because the conversation isn't gonna lead anywhere.

Give this a read
decentsecurity.com/#/securing-your-computer/

>If you seriously think browser plugins are enough defense for your outdated system
They are. I've never been infected. Proof is I've never had any personal details stolen. Not my SSN, not my bank account information, not my password database, not my credit card numbers, etc.

>I've never been in a car accident, therefore I will never be in one, ever.
Nice logic there, user.

what's the least painless way to install win7 on skylake?

i've been trying various utilities to autoslipstream the usb3.0 drivers but for whatever reason they keep crashing.

so i looked through my old hardware and found my ps/2 mouse/keyboard. going that route i'll have to find xhci drivers and install those manually after the win7 installs. usually those drivers are on the supplied motherboard support disc right?

Not just that, metro is literally an UI on top of a UI to make it extra safe and retard proof

it's more like
>Hah! You think airbags will protect you from death in a car accident? Think again! Make the move to [new model of car with spying features but "safer"] or jump ship to trains. Airbags are not good enough. Might as well not have any at all!

It's not a strawman if we were right. Why didn't you listen?

>Why would you want to stay on this operating system?

I'm on a laptop billed as a Windows 7 machine.

>I can understand that you may not like windows 10... but at least those alternatives still have room to improve, and may not be owned by incompetent companies that break their own software.

If W7 ends up broken, it won't be from "incompetence". That's why this thread is up—to protect Nanami Tan from her abusive father.

Why?

It boots up faster or something?

I tried. At least my conscience is clear.

Google "windows 7 vulnerabilities", "windows 7 exploits", "windows 7 whatever-you-want"

cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-17153/hasexp-1/Microsoft-Windows-7.html

And now think about this: You're never gonna get those fixed. They are readily available for any attacker to use on you - targetted or untargetted as you are. And a browser isn't going to save you then.

You're only hurting yourself by staying on Win7. And when one day you or a loved one gets their shit stolen because you told them "Noooo dont install Win10 you'll get spied on by the NSA" you'll remember these posts.

What is antivirus, user? user, what are backups and isos?

>I've never been in a car accident, therefore I will never be in one, ever.
>ends up using an analogy because he can't refute the other faggot not getting riddle diddled by hackers

I'm not on a fucking laptop, I don't need hibernate. My power guzzling desktop doesn't care about the electricity bill, and it barely makes a dent in the house budget.

all of these that actually might matter require you to actively download a malicious executable or are patched by every major browser.

>linking me irrelevant exploits

I cannot refute a fact. He has, indeed, not get his shit compromised yet. Keyword, yet. This is not an argument, he's stating a fact, so I have resorted to an analogy to tell him why this is no reason to feel secure.

>Antivirus
>Backups
>ISOs
>Protecting you against personal data theft or compromising your machine

Oh you sweet summer child

Antivirus is the silver that sounds in your peepee hole after funtime with Olympia.

Face it. You have no credible argument for why a responsible adult should leave this stable, sturdy OS.

this

Thank you

I was genuinely curious

I linked you a random list in the google search. I encouraged you to look for them yourself and then conduct this thought experiment.

When a project is dead and not getting any more updates (ie, Win 7), exploits don't stop coming. They keep getting found. You will keep getting 0-day'd. And one day, not even that's gonna get patched. They're not gonna bother supporting it.

If you're comfortable with this thought, then by all means, continue using Windows 7. If this gives you a bit of pause (and it should), then consider either migrating to Linux or Windows 10.

Using dead-end software just makes you a big, juicy, easy target for anyone out there. Using current updated software is the only safeguard against this. Snake-oil security, peace of mind in exclusively antiviruses and mere browser plugins (which are important by themselves, don't get me wrong) is ill advised.

Beware ye who continue down this road

The relevance is what the characteristic of extant exploits suggest for where the flaws in the security model are.

They are largely in quirks with how specific programs handle specific datatypes, and browser exploits.

The former are incredibly hard to run into for a competent user and the latter are actively patched by browser vendors.

And so what exactly are you using as you are reading this?

You're already making the assumption the user is competent. You never make this assumption. People tend to overestimate their competence in security terms (as evidenced by the existence of this thread).

>then consider either migrating to Linux or Windows 10.
you haven't given me a good reason to migrate to windows 10 besides nebulous threats of 0 days in W7 that depend upon downloading malicious software.

if i could migrate to linux and use pcie passthrough i would, but my old processor doesn't support VT-d, so i can't.

W10 has no benefits for me, especially because my GPU is not DX12 capable, so i fail to see why I should do that.

Anyone know how to do a Icloud removal? I found a Ipad at school.

Because that's the most important one. I don't care about anything else as much. You plebs can argue about "the default UI looks better here" "oh it looks like crap here" "oh noes telemetric NSA" "oh but linux is so scary and weird" all you want, but at the end of the day, up-to-date, patched software is the foundation for your security.

If you don't care about being secure, then, like I said before, feel free to stay on Win7

haha
tell me when I can have windows 10 improved snapping on windows 7

Here's my dessdop :^D

Moozic 4 me?

My product id key like rubbed off or melted now i cant read it. What do??