TRS Jack is deprecated

europe.newsweek.com/five-reasons-apple-ditching-headphone-jack-iphone-7-415665?rm=eu
Don't invest in analog headphones, go wireless!
Even if people will yell at Apple, it will become the standard by 2017, Sony, Samsung, LG and Microsoft will have to get in line too (no pun intended) and we'll look at these round connectors like something stupid and wonder why did it last so long?
Progress is just like politics or society: ditching old stuff slowing us down. Apple understood this.

You told all your friends that you will never switch to android and now when iPhones fed you a bowl of shit you despreadely defend it. I can make the same post about the EU power plug.

>go wireless
Call me when wireless is more reliable than cables in ANYTHING at all.

Like I said the up and coming smartphones and other devices like tablets and PCs will no longer come with audio jacks. Are you in or out?

If there was a good reason to ditch the headphone jack, it would become the standard.

There isn't, you can have a headphone jack on a smartphone and have the ability to use wireless earbuds via bluetooth.

The lightning/usb port is the reason why phones are do thick

Bluetooth headphones exist for over a decade, what kind of conservative logic pushes technology to stagnate so much?

>it's okay when Motorola does it with their android phones :^)

>we'll look at these round connectors like something stupid
Apple includes an adapter with this stupid round connector, no?

No, it's sold separately.

Please drop your tripcode, it only underlines the cluelessness of your post. No, Apple does not have to sell an adapter.
Maybe they should sell CD-Rom drives with your computer?
Or maybe they should offer a VCR with your home cinema?
Do your monitor or TV still comes with RCA jacks for video and audio? Unless you're stuck in the 90's yes, otherwise the standard is now HDMI.
Do you get it?

Did you even watch the launch?

Hey check it out: A freely included adapter with the "stupid round connector".

Why does Apple supply this adapter? I thought 3.5mm was obsolete and Apple had courage...

...no?

Still don't think it's a good idea to keep wired stuff, I'm even surprised only Apple so far decided to drop the audio jack.
Ordered mine.

(who)

>Ordered mine.
You are clueless. Why would you buy a phone with an adapter for that stupid round connector? Do you also have a CD-ROM drive? Or a VCR? Or a TV with RCA jacks? Are you stuck in the 90's?

Look at the pushback. And they didn't even go USB-C, which would have been the standard replacing it if anything. Nope, they're still using shitty old Lightning.

Apple aren't trendsetting anymore: this is a huge blunder.

>Why does Apple supply this adapter?
So you can use your legacy earphones with your new iPhone without being forced to buy the new EarPods. Yes, a wonderful revenue opportunity goes begging.

Yeah, lightning means usb 2.0 speeds, it's really fucking deplorable

Can someone explain why the audio jack would be deprecated ?

All I see is that it's quite big given the fact that you need only 3 wires.

Muh waterproof
Muh no interference from charging
Muh less parts
Muh DRM/innovashun

oh also courage apparently I forgot that one

other brand can do all of those even with headphone jack included on their phones? fucking apple apologist i swear

>wonder why did it last so long?
Because it works

now we have retards like you defending this garbage

I hold no love for Apple but they did the right thing

I can't count how many headphone jacks I've broken over the years, that shit is simply too long and flimsy

good riddance, surprised Sony didn't replace it earlier since they're the top dogs in the headphone business and all

Fuck off.
I will continue to buy smartphones with a microsd slot and the jack, and every manufacturer worth if consideration (ie no Apple, no leEco...) will continue to make them.

>Longer lasting quick charge batteries
>reliability issues fully ironed out

Apple was not wrong, wireless IS the future. Its best to begin the journey as soon as possible. As usual Sup Forums is full of tech-illiterate morons, the same morons who laughed at the iPhone 4's high DPI display. This board can't be taken seriously.

no shit, same reason we are using gasoline and flash still...

Having to recharge fucking everything is tiresome though. When I pick some piece of consumer electronics out of my drawer I want it to just work.

>storing the earbuds after use is tiresome

They will always work when you go to get them though. I spend a lot of time on the phone, do you know how fucking annoying it is to be in a 32 degree C-ish house, in underwear, needing to talk to someone while doing other shit? I'd prefer to leave my phone at the desk and have wireless headphones for the call. Everyone wants these for different reasons.

Wasn't this the complaint about smart watches?
>I have to charge my phone AND my watch everynight?
(I guess headphones are fine though....)

In a backhanded way I kind of like this.
I know Apple has enough blind followers to get this phone, and they will make companies (like automobile industry) add bluetooth and other connection options. It forces change, rather than companies just throwing an aux port on the device.

>Still don't think it's a good idea to keep wired stuff, I'm even surprised only Apple so far decided to drop the audio jack.
>Ordered mine.
Only? Motorola did a few months ago.

The fact that bluetooth sucks ass.

>It forces change, rather than companies just throwing an aux port on the device.

Wow, someone on Sup Forums who has a brain not belonging to an autistic 16 year old.

This board literally has Apple to thank for high-DPI displays on phones and laptops, and now it'll have them to thank for advancements in wireless technology. Apple kicks the whole tech industry into gear whenever it does anything.

>i buy shitty Chinese headphones
>this is somehow the TRS standard's fault

Faggot. Wireless audio will never compete with wired.

Ahahahah, they won't. All hail Xiaomi!

I am getting paid to shit post to OP.

I know OP is sihtposting and I'm falling for the bait, but seriously there ARE iDrones that are hailing the death of the headphone jack.

I've owned an iPhone since 2012 and the bluetooth has major breakage fo A2DP every other fucking update. Why in the everliving FUCK would I want to depend on my ability to export charging to be via bluetooth? Unless I want to use an itty bitty shitty lightning adapter that likely has a horrible DAC and deprives me of the ability to get audio output while charging...

DAC is probably already on the phone's board. There's literally no reason why they couldn't squeeze on a 3.5 port.

>motorola
>anybody taking them seriously

>3. Better sound for Apple Music
>The analog headphone jack is only capable of delivering CD-quality sound. A lightning port would allow for headphones with integrated digital-to-analog converters and amplifiers.

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

>Muh waterproof
Only water-resistant

>but seriously there ARE iDrones that are hailing the death of the headphone jack.
Considering apple no longer gives them a option for a 3.5mm jack they have no other choice than to eat shit

>The analog headphone jack is only capable of delivering CD-quality sound. A lightning port would allow for headphones with integrated digital-to-analog converters and amplifiers.

>The rumors from Japan claim Apple wants to implement 96kHz/24-bit music streaming to Apple Music in 2016.

hasn't the iphone included a 24bit wolf DAC since the iphone4?

They literally already had this feature.....

>CD quality sound
yea no, if you let your users run FLAC you would realize it actually has amazing sound quality

now you're forcing headphone manufacturers to impliment a shitty DAC into the headphone rather than using the studio quality DAC that has been in the iphone FOR A DECADE

>"Progress is just like politics or society: ditching old stuff slowing us down. Apple understood this."
>44 replies to this painfully obvious bait

HAHA XDDD LE FEDORA MEEM SO FUNNY LE VAPE LE TRENCHCOAT XDDDDDDD LMAO XD LOSER FEDORA TIPS FEDORA XDDD

Being able to swim with your phone without damage is as "water resistant" as anyone needs it to be.

Been waiting for the new iPhone since I've been on the fence about switching. I was hoping the reports weren't true but it seems like they actually went forward and removed the headphone jack which is a dealbreaker for me. They truly have run out of good ideas for the iPhone and now they're just doing stupid shit.

the smartphone is one of the worst things to happen to technology in this century so far

no

Are you implying that smart watches aren't also meme tech?

>So you can use your legacy earphones
Where is the courage in that?

>Progress is just like politics or society: ditching old stuff slowing us down. Apple understood this.

WOW BRO IKR I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE XDDD UPVOTE TO YOU GOOD SIR! #OBAMA2016 #JUSTONEMORETERM

sage

Mods can we please ban this "3.5mm is deprecated" meme? It's clearly just a bunch of social engineers from Apple trying to market their failure of a new phone.

We have only had "Daily reminder that the 3.5mm jack is what is preventing us from making thinner phones" threads for a year.

The "thin" argument has disappeared completely overnight... I wonder why...

>I wonder why...
Actually, I know exactly why:

iPhone 6 with 3.5mm jack: 7.1mm thick
iPhone 7 with courage port: 7.1mm thick

What happened? I thought that getting rid of the obsolete 3.5mm jack was going to get us thinner phones?

Or does courage make things thicker?

Who needs a thinner phone? I want a thicker one with three times as much batteries.

Courageous phones are healthy at every size.

>not the rise of Apple
Stupid Micrisoft should of let them die

How about I call you on a cellphone

>Apple does it, so it's immediately innovative and """THA FUTURRR XDDD""" even when it has no actual benefit

Analog is always better than digital. We'll have headphone jacks forever.

we still have replaceable batteries and microSD slots. at worse our options will be lessened.

this is not an argument.

>legacy
>yet another shitty pair of wireless headphones being released means that the most used audio interface on the world has become legacy

Top fucking kek

Holy fuck, modern phones are so full of cancer.
>muh 400 dpi
>muh 500 dpi
>muh 600 dpi
>muh X cores
>muh Y frequency
>muh Z petabytes of RAM to actually run all the bloat manufacturers put in there
And all that shit just to run facebook and angry birds. "Progress" in portable devices seems to be now flooding consumers with numbers they don't understand - but hey, surely more is better. Let's just hope they don't notice that each "upgrade" means sacrificing battery life. The only thing I think is actually useful is USB-C which may finally let us us regular USB accessories in phones, but this one will probably also become a meme when no one will put more than one port in their phones because muh minimalism. I only hope Blackberry didn't abandon the idea of making actually useful phones.

And fuck everybody trying to remove jack now. First make wireless appealing and then remove jack when people actually want to use wireless.

Those were trollposts you dumb tripnigger. The 3.5mm jack and even the internal component is tiny. The Lightning port takes up more volume than a 3.5mm. Learn to recognize jokes.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I SPENT HUNDREDS ON MY SMARTWATCH, THAT MEANS IT'S A GOOD INVESTMENT! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

>2016
>1334x750
Even my fucking HTC One m7 from three years ago has 1080p.

Isn't CD-quality uncompressed aka the highest possible quality?

That's.. my entire point. Are you fucking retarded? You wouldn't have that 1080p screen 3 years ago if Apple didn't force the industry into that direction 6 years ago. Get some fucking reading comprehension or go back to Facebook.

1334x750 is the resolution of the iPhone 7

>he is still literally unable to comprehend my very simple point

Anti-apple spergs, everyone.

It's like no one has heard of the 2.5mm TRS jack.

By your logic android phones would still stay at 1334x750 to make sure the phone lasts longer even though the battery is the same.

>If there was a good reason to ditch the headphone jack, it would become the standard.

>No analog to digital conversion required
>removing DAC allows phone to be much ligther
>less chance of mechanical failure
>lack of DAC allows phone to be much thinner
>removing archaic components allows for cheaper manufacturing costs
>no analog wires; better audio quality

But no, you're right, there is absolutely no reason to get rid of the headphone jack at all.

It IS going to become the future standard. Get used to it.

>Putting the DAC in the earpiece allows the selling of overpriced equipment for some period of time.

This is the only reason they're doing this.

You don't move standards forward just by removing the old one just like that.

You do so by providing a better, more reliable and cost-friendly alternative that completely removes any reason to use the old format and let it fade out in obscurity.

Apple didn't provide this alternative. They just showed some overpriced garbage headphones with a tech that is literally a decade old without showing any improvements on it whatsoever.

The actual dac HAS to be in the phone, if not then their headphone adapter will not work

go away appleshill. nobody wants to buy your shit phone with a proprietary 160 dollar pair of ear buds

Let me interject for a moment.
>No analog to digital conversion required
Duh, it's not required now. And digital to analog is always required.
>removing DAC allows phone to be much ligther
You still need DAC for the speaker.
>less chance of mechanical failure
Okay, that's a point. You can use wireless even when you have a jack though.
>lack of DAC allows phone to be much thinner
As in previous point, you still need DAC.
>removing archaic components allows for cheaper manufacturing costs
How much is a jack socket? 10 cents?
>no analog wires; better audio quality
Is this a bait? Your headphones still need to convert digital to analog and they still need cables in the internals. The sound quality is very likely to be low because now headphone manufacturers need to mount a DAC in every headphones so they will be either very expensive or worse than wired counterpart. You could say that you only transfer the expense of a DAC from the phone to the headphones, but you still need a DAC in the phone and every time you buy new headphones you will bear the cost of a new DAC.

>swimming with your phone

Is this a thing that normies do? I'm hesitant to even use my phone in the rain.