/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

>News:
Honor 8 review
gsmarena.com/honor_8-review-1492.php

Rumor says Xiaomi Mi Note 2 will be launched as Mi Pro
gsmarena.com/rumor_says_xiami_mi_note_2_will_be_launched_as_mi_pro-news-20430.php

Snapdragon 821-powered Asus ZenFone 3 Deluxe is now available for purchase
gsmarena.com/snapdragon_821powered_asus_zenfone_3_deluxe_is_now_available_for_purchase-news-20428.php

Galaxy S8 may come with curved Dual edge screen in both the 5.1" and 5.5" flavors
phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S8-may-come-with-curved-Dual-edge-screen-in-both-the-5.1-and-5.5-flavors_id85245

TENAA, Geekbench confirm that there is 3GB of RAM on the Apple iPhone 7 Plus
phonearena.com/news/TENAA-Geekbench-confirm-that-there-is-3GB-of-RAM-on-the-Apple-iPhone-7-Plus_id85241

Nexus 6P 7.0 Nougat Factory Image Released
developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

LG V20: First impressions and thoughts (Android Police)
androidpolice.com/2016/09/08/lg-v20-first-impressions-and-thoughts/

Huawei P9 Second Opinion: A well-rounded smartphone with a brilliant camera
androidcentral.com/huawei-p9-india-review-a-well-rounded-smartphone

old

Other urls found in this thread:

xiaomidevice.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-pro.html
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_x_compact_is_now_available_in_the_uk-news-20416.php
youtube.com/watch?v=yro0ZNXqfms&list=PLaPvcEA8BA-J9_3mmzhwE5TGRU53q3oux&index=5
ringingbells.co.in/freedom251
xiaomitips.com/guide/unlock-redmi-note-3-bootloader/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Mi5s info when

Where were you when Apple started RENTING phones to iSheep with their 'iPhone ((((Upgrade)))) Programme'?

Is there any other good small phone out there other than the z5compact? SE looks nice too but I'm not a fan of iOS desu senpai.

xiaomidevice.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-pro.html

Guys help me. I googled redmi note 4 pro and came up with this. Did they make a mistake since its not yet announced?

The description reads that it has a double rear camera but the pictures dont match the description.

Is this.legit

Galaxy Alpha

so i want a new smartphone but i'm not paying $800

is the galaxy S5 good still and can i replace touchwiz with something better? i've heard complaints about it

i'm on AT&T and i need expandable memory

>constantly paying $3 per day to apple
what are they even thinking

gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_x_compact_is_now_available_in_the_uk-news-20416.php

it's just speculation, it's not an official store. it will probably be announced in a month or 2 anyway.

you can replace touchwiz with any launcher you want, i recommend nova

touchwiz is not only a launcher faggot

sorry, i forgot to say it's also garbage, friendo

>NFC
Im searching for a new phone for a trip Im going on on monday and I found somone selling a OP3 but there is a chance that I dont get it before monday.
Now searching for alternatives and found a Huawei P9 and a OP2 in my area. Now the OP2 lacks NFC but is there anything you really NEED NFC for ? Like I dont pay with my phone or use any NFC-tags ever... Something else you need it for or can I go with the OP2 if I dont use any of NFCs tools ?

So i'm looking at getting a Xiaomi Note 3 pro. I have no experience with rooting android. I'm sure it's not that hard.
Is it usually recommended to root the phone? I don't want bloatware or anything similar spying on me.
Can I replace the android software on it? If so, can someone point me in the right direction or have any recommendations?

Accidentally smashed my Note 4's glass. Can't replace just the glass without fucking up the phone with glue - it has to be the whole screen at the cost of £120.

I decided to buy a new phone but:
>iPhones don't let me torrent and no file manager. Also Applemao
>Samsung's non-removable batteries and the Edge gimmick are shit
>HTC is overpriced for what you get.
>LG/Sony/Motorola are probably overpriced too for the mediocre quality.
>CAT S60 looks ugly and is unsymmetrical as fuck
>Huawei runs native Android but Sup Forums says it's poor quality, so is OnePlus (break easily, last only 12 months etc.)
>Other Chinkshit is low quality (source: Sup Forums's anti-shilling)

My only logical conclusion by negative elimination is to buy a brand new Note 4. I was really happy with this phone but the glass doesn't keep my brain clean now... buying the same phone sounds retarded.

Someone give me ideas?

if you need expandable memory there is the zte axon 7

that's a lot pricier than what i'm looking for

Thinking about buying a OP3. Pixel looks like it will be a failure, and the iPhone 7 is too expensive. Is One Plus consistent with security updates? Also is the display good? Any caveats?

You can root it and flash CM13, it's not super simple but not overly complicated.

Unlock bootloader->flash dev rom->flash CM13->root

Rootjunky has a video series where he shows how to do it all:
youtube.com/watch?v=yro0ZNXqfms&list=PLaPvcEA8BA-J9_3mmzhwE5TGRU53q3oux&index=5

Trying to decide between a OnePlusX or a Moto G4, leaning towards the G4 but the 5.5" screen is holding me back as I don't want a giant phone

Also any word on when the X is getting marshmallow

Recommendations for a good stable custom ROM as close to stock as possible for the note 3?

OPX is deprecated. it won't get marshmallow.
G4 is better. there aren't many options at the 5" size anyway.

is one year too late to buy a phone? want to buy a z5c, it's my first new phone since 4s.

You still must to ask them for permission..
Do you need to do that in Chinese?

Stock android, 200-300€, germany. I'm looking at the Moto G3+ but I heard of overheating issues when using the camera and other quirks. What are my alternatives?

Help me /g, is this shit legit??
ringingbells.co.in/freedom251
i really want it

see:
xiaomitips.com/guide/unlock-redmi-note-3-bootloader/

They explain everything and give you the message to copy.

> 200-300€
> Moto G3
??? You can buy a Nexus 5X for that much.

No need for chinese.
>Western user wanting to install custom ROMs.
Is literally what I sent them, and they unlocked it for me within 2 days.

Looked into the 5x' stats. 2GB RAM? Is that what 300€ buys you nowadays?

Thank you! I haven't bought a phone in about 4 years and trying to learn everything has been overwhelming.
I've been looking at the Honor 8 and the OnePlus 3, I'm skeptical of the Note 7 just cause I see it so heavily advertised. How much of that phone is overhyped?
In terms of provider, I've been using straight talk since I don't want a contract. However, these phones are bloody expensive and being able to get a flagship phone at a more reasonable price might tempt me to sign up.

3 years ago I bought my m7 for 680€ with 2gb ram...

I'm thinking about switching to Consumer Cellular or FreedomPop. Have any of you used them? How was it?

just get a new screen\digitizer assembly then.

R E S P O N D
E
S
P
O
N
D

2gb is enough still, desu. it's bullshit that 4 isn't the standard like a while ago but its whatever

That's what I'm saying, is it worth it when I can get a brand new of the same phone for roughly double that amount?

You can buy Mi5 with SD820 and 3GB RAM for 250€ too. but you wanted stock android. RN3P is 143€, SD650, 3GB RAM and has CM13 roms too.

z5 compact or x compact? Is the 650 snapdragon okay? the z5 looks better though, I like the back.

Why not? It's still got the last good Qualcom processor generation with tons of RAM, it's one of the last samsungs to get good community support and the last one with an S Pen. It's still a very unique device that you'll probably miss if you swich, and there really isn't a good reason to go up to SD820 unless you're constantly gaming on that thing, and even then the 820 is more of a disappointment than not. Keep it.

Note 7 is a time bomb, forget it. Honor 8 is good but UI is ugly. OP3 is ok too.

Benchmarks aside, SD650 is practicality better than SD810 because it doesn't overheat and throttle under load like the housefire that 810 was.

Consumer Cellular isn't bad.

I have a note 7 and was looking around for a smart watch to go with it, but I can't find any good reviews or information that isn't outdated or pure marketing.

I'm not looking to spend over $300, so I was looking at an LG Urbane, but I'm not able to find a concrete answer on whether or not it's compatible with the Note 7.

Any anons here familiar with android watches and able to give me a bit of insight? I'm in the US if that matters.

> OP3 break easily
Really? Fuck I was planning on buying that. Guess I'll have to get the extended warranty. Can't be as bad as 3 RMAs in 1 year LG G4

>It's still a very unique device that you'll probably miss if you swich

I assume you mean switch to the Note 7/S7

I'm thinking of buying exactly the same version N910F (some versions like P or T can be cheaper).

It's £120-130 for Pajeet to pry it up and change the screen, or for £260 I can have a fresh Note 4 device - one rooted for playing with Cyanogen-mod and one unrooted for running Banking apps etc.

What would you personally do?
>£120 for screen repair
>£260 for a fresh Note 4

I mean switch to anything but the Note 7. The "two phones, one for spares\playing around and one as a daily driver" thing seems like a waste of money to me, but alas.

Banking apps? I use multiple on my rooted s5?

A time bomb eh? Any other recommendations for a newbie?

Also yes, if you correctly install Xposed and RootCloak, you'll probably still be able to use said bank apps.

What format does an SD card need to be in to work with the S7?

That's what Sup Forums said in another thread.

That's why I feel it's a bit retarder - but all the new phones are shit...

Never tried, I'll give it a shot.

then just get a new assembly nigga
worst that will happen is you'll be left with the half-broken one as a spare just in case you murder the new one

fuck that image is triggering my PTSD hard

was in afganistan for 6 years

All right, it's decided.

Is there any reason for a person with a shitty Lumia 640 to NOT get the Honor 8?

Seems like a solidly built device on all grounds.

> Great chipset
> more than enough RAM
> USB-C
> Battery seems good enough
> Great cameras
> Great price / quality
> Company of Huawei ( not some kind of company stashed away in a shed deep into the ghetto's of china making phones )

What Xposed modules do people here use?

why are there so many iPhone 5c on ebay compared to other models?

is it shitty?

>iphone
>is it shitty

By definition, all iPhones are shitty.

This is what carriers do already, so who cares?

>1 tip has been deposited into your fedora

I'm recommending you not buy an overpriced turd, but whatever user.

come on man, different tools for different jobs, I don't give a fuck about android vs iphone in this situation

I need to buy an iphone for a family friend, and 5c seems like the most commonly available
I googled but nothing obvious came up,

anybody know the reason for this off the top of their heads?

Can anyone recommend a cheap T-Mobile LTE phone? Doesn't have to be brand new, can be used. It's mostly going to be used for hotspot anyway so gaymen abilities aren't important.

fuck that's lewd. more?

>I need to buy an iphone for a family friend
No you don't. Convert him to android or fuck off to reddit.

Just ordered a Xiaomi Mi-5 Pro for €360
Did I do good or will the import charges and taxes rise through the roof?

Because they're the poorfag iPhone and no ifag would be caught dead with them. Most of the ones you see for sale are buyer's remorse or the person was able to save up their McDonalds paychecks for a year to be able to afford a real iPhone.

you're a little faggot
I'm not going to fuck my friends shit up and leave them spending their time learning a new system just to send texts to people

and for what reason anyway?
mindless reverse fanboyism?
you're no better than apple shills

sorry man, wish I did

sweet, sounds perfect for my needs, thanks man

Android have the best hardware but shit interface and user experience. iPhone have shit hardware but the best interface all around.

Anyone who disagrees is just dilusional. Go fuck yourself in advance.

Why do you niggers constantly argue about phones, muh apple, muh android, muh winshit, muh cuckberry when all you do is shitpost on Sup Forums.

A fucking $10 phone can do that.

End yourselves. Right now.

When and where can I buy a vibe p2?

also
> or fuck off to reddit
sounds like projection

so on a scale of 1-10 rate the following situations in terms of spying

1. OxygenOS with default google apps
2. cyanogenmod with just the play store

should I get the note 7?

>Benchmarks aside, SD650 is practicality better than SD810 because it doesn't overheat and throttle under load like the housefire that 810 was.
I'll wait for the reviews I guess. Personally I really like the look of the z5c but the housefiredragon scares me off. x compact looks like a fingerprintmagnet. The first review I saw said that it's a good phone tho.

If you have more money than sense. I enjoy mine, the only real difference between older models is the side menu and the pen.

is it fire?

Not yet.

Asking for confirmation on this. I've never heard anything about OP phones not being sturdy before today

1.: 10/10
2.: 10/10
Don't use gapps or go home.
By the way with things like silent sms cell of origin etc. your privacy is non-existent. You just can limit the surveillance of companies by this, but you're still using Google's Android and you probably will need to change your browsing behaviour...

What's your opinion on Xiaomi phones? I want to know if they're any good before I pull the trigger.

With O2 refresh you keep your phone after 12 months.

With Apple you return it after 12 months.

Recommend me a non-iPhone, non Samsung mid range+ phone(s) that aren't stupid expensive and has a fucking SD card slot and doesn't suck complete ass (can have a shit GPU, don't game, just want something that won't lag like crazy)
>S7 is crazy expensive
>Axon 7 is seemingly impossible to get in the global model
>Nexus, Oneplus don't have SD card slots
>Honor 8 looks good except for the fact that a case is borderline mandatory due to the back

are you honestly scared when charging it?

What's different about the pen?

I came from a note 4, this one is embedded as you push it in so it pops out. This pen also feels less substantial than the 4's.

No. You don't post often do you?

Anyone have insight on this, or at least a recommendation on a watch that isn't $450 like the Urbane 2?

>can have a shit GPU, don't care
>don't want it to lag like crazy
You do realize that modern OS GUIs are hardware accelerated by the GPU right?

see
Smartwatches are a fad.

I meant, i don't need 60fps gaming, but it shouldn't lag still.

the 5c is the cheapo one. Plastic frame, feels like a Fisher-Price toy. They were free on contract for awhile.

My dad has one, it's turned him into an Apple convert. I think it's time to put him into a home, his mind is clearly gone.

Is there a US Verizon phone with a similar size and functionality to the S7? I don't give two shits about rooting or flashing a custom ROM, and I'm currently using an S3 so touchwiz is no deal breaker for me.

How is the Nexus 5? I'm looking to get off my CDMA carrier and onto GSM. It seems like a reasonable price for a phone with no bloatware. Am I missing something?

>Galaxy S8 may come with curved Dual edge screen in both the 5.1" and 5.5" flavors

Awesome. Fucking super. I sure do love that worthless extra bit of glass that makes my phone that much harder to repair, put in a case, and keep from shattering.

What I could find

Is buying phones on ebay safe? I'm afraid of getting ripped off so I never go for it.

I don't get it. That's literally the first thing I've heard about it. user is probably full of shit

It's a fad I'm interested in though, or is it generally something these threads avoid?

Try asking /csg/, they love smartwatches.