What went wrong with the Internet?

What went wrong with the Internet?

Normies

it was popularized

normies started using it

Definitely Normies.
The downfall went into full force in the early 2000s.

nothing. just nostalgiafags being cancerous as always

normalfag detected

do you have a facebook account too? tell us all about it

The most glaring invasion of Normies was apparent in online games, most predominantly Counter-Strike. No other game has brought as many Normies online.
Quake before it was still mostly robots.

Fuck you, I'm not a normalfag. I played Counter Strike since the beta and I still play to this day. Suck it.

what didnt desu

Giant conglomerates/monopoly

Apps.

They found the internet box.

JS

Normals.

>I played 1.6 yesterday
>I've played since the beta, fuck I'm old
A real CS player would have quit when shiny pixels were released for GO.

You do realize you're as boring and uninteresting as the rest of the masses? You're not special for being a weeb NEET shut-in that rots his brain in front of a screen all day. You're just as normal as everyone else with the only exception of not having a healthy outdoor routine.

Nice no true scotsman fallacy.
But no, I find CSGO to be a pretty good game. Sure, there are a lot of issues and it doesn't have the flair and the feeling that 1.6 had but it's still a good game. That said, there's no other choice than playing it. 1.6 is dead and everyone plays GO now.

>tfw my steam account is turning 13 in the next couple days

But I do have a healthy outdoor routine

Java[script]
Flash
Shockwave
Non-hand-coded htm files
Frames

>1.6 is dead
>17k players ingame currently
sure, the 18th most played game on Steam right now is dead, right? Thats not including the cracked/non-steam players too.

Social anxiety doesn't make you special either. Thanks for reminding me.

all of them are polaks, turks and ruskies that can't run newer cs games on their toasters

Never said I was interesting.
I said normalfags ruined the internet.

If we're so boring why aren't you on facebook spreading your face and personal life all over the internet and subscribing to nigger-tier (((""""""""comedy""""""""""))) sites?

I meant dead, as in, there is no eSports scene anymore. No tournaments, no competition, does the game even get updated anymore?
Also:
>17k players ingame
That's literally nothing.

Also, nobody wants to play on public servers. At least I don't.

Turned into a human intellectual garbage dump. The noise to signal ratio is so skewed you need hundreds of gigantic energy sucking, pollution causing data warehouses to store and sift through all it.

Other than that, nothing. Have to take the good with the bad.

Progress

But I don't have social anxiety (anymore)

Yeah, this too.
I've played 1.6 a couple times lately on pub servers and never have I encountered someone from my country. (Germany)
It was all just russkies.

Because I have no interest in doing so. What a strange question.

You misunderstood. I meant to point out how people use the term "normie" as a way to distance themselves from people that carry out social interaction and go outside once a day. The reality is that those aren't qualifiers to make you normal. Therefore, not doing those things doesn't make you special, which is what Sup Forums and /r9k/ believes.

the degeneration of the internet happened on aug 1, 2003 when myspace was founded

Not them but normie is a general term if you don't know the basic functions of a computer and buy the yearly apple product you are a normie.

Normalfag doesn't mean "goes outside." It means an insufferable cunt whose entire life and opinions are based on what is trending on Twitter and Facebook. Someone who is constantly using Snapchat to send stupid pictures to other people who send stupid pictures back. Someone who doesn't have any hobbies short of social media and drugs/drinking/partying. Someone who argues with emotional appeals or social shaming instead of logic. Moralfags. The list goes on.

Normalfags, the kinds that populated MySpace and now populated Facebook and Twitter, ruined the internet.

What's the point of fixing a game that doesn't need fixed? Or did you mean content updates as in adding the Revolver, Negev and Bizon to 1.6?

>17k
>literally nothing
>6 million? pfft thats nothing, still plenty more jews to gas

Javascript.

While those are the actions of a large portion of people, I wouldn't say the word 'normal' has much to do with that. Nor does the act of NOT using social media, and buying Apple products as a contrarian to the the masses use makes you different or superior. It makes you an outlier, is what it does, which isn't a good or bad thing.
But this is a website where the culture is to judge others on what tastes they have so I digress. At the end you're still normal person who uses a ThinkPad instead of a Macbook.

What do you mean with "special"? Being a socially awkward neckbeard spending his days watching anime, browsing Sup Forums, reading books about languages that were popular 30 years ago and tinkering with his gentoo/slackware/arch distro isn't exactly what the average person does these days, its not even what the average CS student would do. Dunno what the /r9k/ fags mean when they say "normie", but I use it to describe people who spend most of their time using snapchat/instagram/facebook/whatsapp and who describe working out, partying and meeting friends as a "hobby".

>You're an outlier
>You're a normal person
You can't have both, faggot.

*programming languages

>ITT: Thread derailed by shitposting about vidya and 2 pajeets flinging poo over the definition of 'normie'
saged and reported

>esports

You have to be 18 or older to post here

Consolidation, the ultimate problem with the rise of social media is the resultant homogenization. The internet grew in objective terms but shrunk culturally.

I'm not sure if pic related is entirely accurate, but the basic problem is there.

esports was a thing even back in the 90s. and most who were old enough to participate in said esports/competition then are far older than 18 now. If you don't know this, you also need to be 18 to post here.

how yahoo survived to this day is still surprising to me. they made the wrong decision at every opportunity.

An outlier is still a mark on the graph. Sure you're not in the bell curve, but you're still on the graph.

Being an extrovert doesn't make you normal. And being an introverted coder doesn't make you abnormal. Not being normal would be mentally ill behavior like being a cannibal or defecating on a plate and consuming your own fecal matter. Again, you seem to think that partaking in alternative interests makes you different and an outsider. It just makes you someone who doesn't have a mainstream interest, which is completely normal.

>I played Counter Strike since the beta
I remember being at a LAN session not long after Counter Strike Beta 2 came out in 1999.
Back then I could not see it yet but I remember a vague feeling of impending doom, no pun intended. This was it. This will attract the Normies.
Lo and behold, there it was. The slow paced nature of Counter-Strike was accessible enough for Chad to understand. People who never wrote a single line of code were suddenly appearing on LAN parties.
I started to go less and less. It was over.

People figured out how to appeal to the masses and what worked in order to make the most money and exposure for their product or company.

Simple marketing. Look at the format of a classified section of a newspaper; it's like that for a reason. They figured out what works the best.

Unfortunately, computers have been reduced to needing next to no intelligence to use, so any Joe Blow can log onto a site and spew his shit opinion, and subscribe to YouTube channels that create such lasting and valuable content like EPIC THUG PRANK IN THE GHETTO ALMOST TURNS FATAL SEXUAL 2016 LIKE SUBSCRIBE COMMENT FOR MORE

It was only a matter of time.

I like GO. But the one thing I can't stand about it is how you can't spam crouch like you could in 1.6.

That depends on your definition of normal, I don't mean normal in a sense of not being a mentally ill degenerate who isn't able to function, but rather in a sense of how far you're away from the average western person in your lifestyle and personality. For example I do work out and use whatsapp, but my lifestyle and personality in a whole is what I described above, except for the neckbeard part. So I'd say thats what most people mean when they call someone a normie.

Are you fucking retarded or what? If you're an outlier then you don't fit the expected results of the data set, therefore you are ~not~ normal. Fuck me you're stupid. I bet you think the only way someone can be anything but a normalfag is psychosis.

Their fatal mistake was hiring that joke of a CEO in 2012. It wasn't succeeding, but it was at least limping along, waiting for someone to come and bandage its wounds. Now it's a corpse on the ground because people trusted a woman to lead the company.

I don't know anything about their strategy, I'm just surprised they or anyone survived Google basically becoming the internet (be honest, how often do you use urls?).

Take psychedelics or study Buddhism and you will understand what people mean when they say Normie.

>All this bitching about how it went wrong.
>No one mentioning how to make it great again.

by removing normans sites and tumblr from the internet's existence

fucking normans get out rooooooo

I don't use google at all, I visit most websites by downloading their source and display them over a sandboxed local network server, if I have to use a search engine I use elinks + tor and duckduckgo. Sup Forums and linkedin are the only websites I actually directly connect to from my computer.

By creating a new one that isn't user friendly at all.

there's simply too many people

look at all the places with very high human populations. they're all shitholes.

The term you're looking for is pleb, not normal.

money and regulation

Normalfags are always plebs but plebs are not always normalfags.

thats the same m8

You are either a normie in denial or you are just playing dumb.

>Normies
Pretty much this, it got adapted for tech illiterate people.

Normalfags and big companies stealing all kinds of data

>join server
>press mouse1 only to realize that the server fucked up your bindings and the game reconnects to the same server

everytime i hear the word normie used i think of a sperglord with a body pillow making himself to be better than people who have friends and relationships which is pretty cringey desu

Other way around.

>making himself to be better than people
You're just projecting your Normie Narcissism.

>not making your config file read only

No

>Outliers don't have to be accounted for
t. Rajesh Kumar, PhD.

Are you actually defending the practice of an adult man sleeping with a Chinese cartoon body pillow to not be a mentally ill behavior?

this tbqh

Not at all.

>gets told why he is wrong
>pulls out the Indian programmer meme because he can't make a proper refutation

Then there's no such thing as "Normie Narcissism".

He didn't tell me anything. He implied that outliers don't need to be accounted for, which is completely wrong.

ITT: Normies in denial

Javascript

norman invasion killed the internet

Outlier:
An extreme deviation from the mean.

Anomaly:
1. A person who is unusual.
2. Deviation from the normal or common order or form or rule.

That wasn't so hard.

It is still really big in Japan, not really surprising since they are stuck in the 90s.

This. The real downfall of the internet began when companies like Apple started marketing stuff towards normies.

>An extreme deviation from the mean
Which directly contradicts your assertion that outliers (like Sup Forums) are just normalfags that are a little different.

See, these posters are blindly assuming that anyone using the term "Normie" has an agenda of making themselves appear superior to the alleged "Normies".
That is not the case at all. These posters just project their own narcissism and need for validation onto the robots.

you make it sound like having friends and a social life is somehow a bad thing
back to /r9k/ you dumb frogposter

You still don't understand.
You can have friends and not be a Normie.

>That is not the case at all.
But it is. Go to /r9k/ and see for yourself.

>No one mentioning how to make it great again.
You have to BTFO Normies.

>neighbors having party
>loud hip hop music
>ruining my sleep
>put empty beer bottles in bag
>break them in my kitchen
>go outside and spread glass by neighbors house on sidewalk
>go back in
>call the cops
>report loud party
>report people throwing bottles on street
>report drug use and underage drinking
>"ok, sir. We're on the way"
>please hurry
>police show up
>party gets shut down
>drunken chad screaming shit postures aggressively at cops
>gets taken to the ground
>pandemonium as cops make more arrests
>normie party goers BTFO
>mfw watching from a crack in my blinds

/r9k/ are normies themselves. Also a lot of them are redditors. Just go to r/Sup Forums and most threads there will be about /r9k/ (and Sup Forums).

You should post that in /r9k/. They'll appreciate the story.

What a sad little man you are.

Eternal September

Subscribed.

No way you're really this stupid. I will assume troll.

Sounds to me like you're just too stupid too understand what constitutes a normie so you just make silly assumptions. Must be an average IQ thing.

When the internet started revolving around socialshit for the masses and everyone and their dog had an opinion on anything and could get 5 minutes of fame.

If you need someone to explain the word normie to you, either you are more than likely normal yourself or you're too new to be familiar with the term's usage here. It's just not "he doesn't go outside", "he's an introvert", "he drinks/does drugs" etc. There's much more to that and the best way to learn is to lurk and find out that way. One starting point is "he is autistic". Of course there are real life autists who go outside and talk to their fellow autistic friends on the bus or whatever, and clearly I'm not saying autistic in this sort of sense, but you'll have to figure out how I'm using the term yourself.

If I had to give you another starting point, it would be "he doesn't follow the ever-changing current/biggest trends with his buddies so they all have something to talk about". It absolutely is possible for someone who isn't a normie to have friends, but there's a good chance their friends don't care about the new biggest TV show or film either. A good friend of mine has slowly turned into a normie over the years because of his new friends. He mostly dropped whatever interests he had before he met them and just follows whatever new show or big video game they latch on to, if only so they have stuff to talk about.
So he's currently watching the new Voltron despite not really having an interest in those sort of shows before, wants me to download that Overwatch free trial for this weekend, bought an iPhone if only because all his friends used them, and even though he said he really wanted to play Splatoon with me, he never did more than likely because none of his other friends cared about it. It's incredibly hard talking to him now because I just don't care about most of the stuff he likes and/or don't have the money to keep up. I'm saying all this because I go to a forum which is filled with normals and they all act exactly like this.

There is much more to it than this though. You need to learn it yourself though.