/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

fossboss.com/2016/07/18/meet-ali-abdulghani-blind-programmer-working-field-open-source/
google.se/search?q=how does torrent work
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=15Z-002T-00DJ2
privacytools.io
windowsmatters.com/2016/05/13/gandalfs-windows-10pe-x64-threshold-2-build-10586-version-05-13-2016/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So I've found that Code::Blocks is nice enough to provide me with OpenGL boilerplate code, but not nice enough to have inbuilt documentation on each function.
Any way I can change that?

Also, should I set sleep to 16.666 or something?

the company I work for offers "career advancement opportunities" which includes IT internships for current employees

in order to be considered, you need to write a Letter of Interest/CV and submit a resume.

I've never written a Letter of Interest before. Can you guys give it a once-over and tell me what to fix? It's not done yet, I need to write the concluding paragraph but otherwise this is the rough draft

Two MSI R390x or two XFX RX 480 for quad screen and BF4 gameplay?

Give some specific examples of what you have done, not just "I have experience in X" or "I helped my teach in Y Class".

One RX480.

Crossfire/SLI is a bad idea, atleast for now and a long time.
Sometimes it even gives worse performance.

Just ate some dried Shitake mushrooms and read the label.

Am I fucked?

Waht? why would you be fucked? that practically food

It had a warning about eating mushrooms. Kinda got paranoid after a double take.

I'm not sure where to find them, apparently it's tied into the wireless care drivers. "If wifi works, bluetooth should work" the forums say.

I hit the Fn+F5, which bring up the wireless menu, but only wifi and airplane mode pop up.

neither. dual GPU is shit. get a 1080 or wait for RX 490

there should be some software suit from lenovo i think, if not check device manager to make sure your bluetooth shows up without errors.

Does anyone happen to know what version of utorrent introduced ads? or a decent version from before they brought in the ads?

2.2.1 was the last safe one.
Dont use uTorrent anyway.

2.2.1 was the last good version but may or may not be botnet.
If you want to be sure get qbittorrent or something

I purchased a Nvidia GTX 680 video card for my 4,1 Mac Pro. On the card there are 6-pin and 8-pin ports. I am confused as to exactly what sort of power cables to purchase. Am I to buy a 6-pin PCI-E to male molex and 8-pin PCI-E to male molex cables?

Don't know if this is the place, but i fucking hate iphones/pods all that shit. I just want to put comics on my ipod and read them at night. It will not put them in order regardless of name/ page number , order i put them in, in the folder. It always shuffles them around when i sync it with itunes. is there ANY way to make sure they're in order. Using a PC btw

How do torrents actually work?
I understand that the seeders are uploading parts of the file online, but where exactly are they uploading it that I can download from?
From my understanding when j download a torrent I'm not making a direct connection to any of the people seeding it.

yes for both

Is it still possible to be a programmer if you are blind?

fossboss.com/2016/07/18/meet-ali-abdulghani-blind-programmer-working-field-open-source/

I don't see any reason why not, but it will probably be significantly more effort and slower than a sighted person doing it.

you download a .torrent file from a website

for the files themselves you are using the torrent client to connect to a swarm of people who also have those same exact files and you're downloading pieces of it from as many people as you can connect to

On the /sqt/ thread yesterday, I asked about the error 255 with IIS / .NET
Well I figured it out.

If you have the "FIPS Compliant Encryption" setting enabled (meaning it disables all encryption methods except those FIPS-compliant), it breaks shit.

Thank you gentlmen

Is your OS compatible with Nvidia graphics cards?
But yeah you need one of each molex, or two molex two 6+2pin pci-e power would be more convenient.

google.se/search?q=how does torrent work

as someone looking to switch from chrome/chromium to firefox:
1- how is video playback?
2- what is the difference between Stable, Beta and Developer? The later too state they send user info to Mozilla, anyone knows what?

I'm on a new PC

what torrent client should I get ?

1. same as on chrome
2. official release, beta test, alpha test. stable has less bugs and issues. the other two may have new features but may or may not be buggy.

qbittorrent

If windows qbittorrent
If Linux then either transmission or deluge. They're pretty much the same thing.

so, if I don't need the Developer Edition tool, I might as well stick to beta or stable?

Use developer or nightly.
Check the Firefox guide on logicalincrements.com for how to properly configured/customize it.
Yes, nightly is perfectly stable and it never crashes.

How does PC game optimization work? Do you really need to test and optimize for hundreds of CPUs and GPUs? If so, then how can older games work just fine on newer hardware, despite not being officially supported?

Games usually aren't tested for specific hardware configurations. Usually it would only be divided up into Nvidia/amd, maybe even between i3,i5, and i7.
Older games still run fine because hardware today is much better than it was when those games came out.

tell them that you are an active member of the technology board Sup Forums

I assume most of the optimization would be done on the GPU side, to accomodate AMD and nVidia chipsets. For example, on the nVidia side, you'd have to optimize for Kepler chipsets, Maxwell, and Pascal, not necessarily for each individual card, right?

qBittorrent or transmission-qt for windows
For guhnoolonix, try transmission for gtk or qbittorrent for qt; if you're comfy in terminal, rtorrent + tmux is fantastic

Yeah it's more like that. Games aren't tested for specific hardware, but categorically.

should I let them know I'm a furry too

you might want to leave that one out

Are the GTX 1060s going to get cheaper than $289 USD any time soon? The real ones, not the "mini" ones or weird, gimped ones.

And I assume that on the CPU side, it's essentially 'brute forced' since theoretically all CPUs behave the same, an AMD doesn't work much different from an Intel one, despite performance differences. To optimize for AMD would either mean multi-core support, or making the codebase itself lighter to run, which in turn would boost Intel performance, right?

any recommended tweaks for qBitorrent

Consoles are optimized for the exact hardware specs, but for PC gaming, it's a simple matter of competence and adherence to standards. Even with the resurgence this decade, gaming on computers still isn't even close to as popular as on consoles, so PC versions of multiplatform games are often an afterthought and reuse code from the console versions. '

Simply put, when they care, you get Rise of the Tomb Raider, but when they don't, you get Batman: Arkham Knight. On rare occasions it's reversed for devs that prefer to develop computer games instead of console games; this is why Valve's first console versions of games were horrible.

Enable the setting where it connects to a different port every time.
I think there's one other option to better anonymize yourself, but I can't remember the name.
Other than that, there isn't really much to change.
Maybe limit upload speed if you don't want to seed.

I plan on setting up a file server for my office. There's only 20-25 people in the office, so it wouldn't be super demanding.
Can I put the file server on a VM without sacrificing too much performance?

Need to do this:

you just need to change the value of "androidboot.hardware" parameter in the grub command from "Android_x86" to "x86". You can do this by pressing "Tab" in the boot menu or by editing "isolinux.cfg" file on the installation ISO Image.

Okay, I pressed Tab but how do I change the value?

Should I pull the trigger on this one Sup Forums?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=15Z-002T-00DJ2

Seems like a pretty good price, I don't really care to spend extra money for a higher resolution or refresh rate than that. I've had solid experiences with refurbished monitors in the past, too.

be sure to set an alternative network speed so you can quick-change it before playing vidya or something, it's useful as fuck. also take a look at how it downloads torrents in case you want to be able to autostart them by saving the files or something.

>Consoles are optimized for the exact hardware specs

Not anymore they are, but I get what you're saying. I'm honestly impressed that the 'console code' works at all on PCs in the first place.

Yes, specifically if you do passthru.

thinking about upgrading my monitor situation. i have two 1080p monitors and a 2560x1080 which i play games on. i am looking to move to 2x 2560x1440 monitors and maintaining my 2560x1080. would the difference in resolution on the 2K monitors significantly affect the performance of my 980 Ti on the ultrawide?
also, any monitor recommendations for pref 25" @ 2560 x 1440?

response time is a bit high for games but otherwise a decent deal

Anyone know? I'm desperate

As a secondary monitor would be fine.
As a gaming/High detail monitor? not so much.

Anybody here use Excel or Access? I've been having a faggot of a time for about a week trying to get some shit working, and I'm about to fucking hang myself if I can't figure this out.

hmm, thanks
I was going to use it as a primary monitor but didn't want to spend too much. I don't game often but I like good detail when I do.

detail is probably good, it's just fast paced games (FPS mostly) that can get issues and screen tearing

What laptop is best for coding and gaming? (I need a laptop since I'm taking coding classes and the only games I really want to play are WoW and maybe little indie games. Nothing too intensive.)

[spoiler]thank you[/spoiler]

How do I emulate this with POSIX read (without -d):
read -rd"~" response
Line 1

Line 3

Line 6
~$
$echo "$response"
Line 1

Line 3

Line 6
$
I tried this but it didn't keep the spaces
while true; do
read -r input
[ $? -ne 0 ] && break
[ ! "$comment" ] && comment=$(printf "%s" "$input") || comment=$(printf "%s\n%s" "$comment" "$input")
done

Get a used thinkpad.

900p T400 if you want to study.

X220 IPS or 900p T420 if you want to play games.

How do matrices usually work in a WebGL project?
Do I ideally rotate and translate matrices only with the vertex shader, and create a new matrix for each 3D model?

I'm rooting my old HTC One XL, and after fucking around with it all morning I've finally arrived at the final stage, of TeamWin Recovery. The problem is there's a strip a few pixels wide on the right side of the screen that doesn't respond to touch, so I can't swipe to confirm the installation of the new OS.

Is there any perceivable workaround to not have to swipe, or even to rotate the display so I can swipe somewhere that responds to touch.

What's the best monitor for gaming under 115 dollars? I have my eye on a 110 dollar BenQ, but still kinda hesitant. Any suggestions?

Nothing, increase your budget and get a Asus VS239H-P for $130-135.

Is there going to be a Surface (not pro) 4? Or am I safe to buy a Surface 3 right now?

>connect Bluetooth headphones to PC through adapter
>Remove headphones from adapter list
>Try and repair them
>Won't work
>Headphones will pair to phone
>Phone will pair to PC
>PC and headphones refuse to pair

I don't even fucking understand. Where the fuck do I begin with this.

Does anyone have any pdfs, pics, guides, links for making yourself as anonymous as possible?

So I overclocked my system bus speed from 100 to 103 because my cpu is locked and I needed that little extra push for a couple cpu heavy MMOs I've been playing. It seems stable but my first question is, will this cause any long term damage to say the hard drives or the ram? is it really worth it in the first place?

second question is, can I squeeze any extra frames out of my system by turning off/on shit in AMDs driver options? is there any settings you'd recommend?

running an r9 290, an i5 4460 (currently @ 3.5ghz), and 8gigs of ram, murders most games at 1080 but seems to be struggling with a lot of MMOs - Black Desert Online in particular atm.

I'm dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, and want to get rid of Ubuntu.
If I make a recovery drive for W10 right now, will I be able to fix the boot manager after I remove the Ubuntu partition?

The new kaby lake generation will be compatible with the socket 1151 Skylake architecture?

Want better perfomance? get better parts.

can i get tails onto a 4 gig flash drive, or does it have to be larger? anyone have experience using tails in general?

Probably no.

I had a problem myself doing that(exact same situation).

I want to know answer to this.

privacytools.io if you haven't already gone through this site

that's the thing though, if it were all games I'd agree and save my pennies, but it's pretty much just for this one game I need a little push.

How do I get webm thumbnails to appear? I don't use vlc btw.

Thank you

Just installed qbittorrent, the search keeps coming up with (showing 0 out of XXX) on results. How do I get it to show all the results?

Never mind, figured it out, I'm retarded

Yeah, all you need is a windows PE to boot and recover with. This has the tools to do it automatically

download.cnet.com/Lazesoft-Recovery-Suite-Home/3000-2094_4-75749925.html?part=dl-10055229&subj=dl&tag=button

Or you can manually create the boot files using easybcd

windowsmatters.com/2016/05/13/gandalfs-windows-10pe-x64-threshold-2-build-10586-version-05-13-2016/

Install K-Lite Codecs

is ti feasible to use youtube like a private media server?

>upload terabytes of movies/tv shows
>organise seasons and such into playlists
>ensure it's all private/unlisted
>profit?

Not really concerned about HD since I'd only be streaming to laptop or my phone. But do youtube still do copyright sweeps of private and unlisted material?

How do I parse a large txt file in JS? In Python, this is easy. I import the file, and make it an array (or list).

How do I do this most efficiently in JS. It does not strike me as efficient to have an enormous textfile in the same place as my HTML content, CSS presentation and basic scripting lay-out is.

Interested in this also.

Maybe if you can skirt the initial copyright material scan, don't see how you could be sent a dmca notice if nobody can see the video.

I have both a Pi 0 and a Pi 3. I have recently got serious about my data backups, and will be uploading some drives (2TB or so) and then downloading quite a bit in my effort to turn what I have physically to digital. It's going to be offsite, I'll only be checking on it/updating stuff about once a week, and I expect it to run for a month or so, then less from there on out. Is there any reason for me to use one or the other? Any problems I might run into doing this?

Is there a way to remote into another machine and have it perform close to a native machine? They're both wired into the same network

Some little fag yelled at me for liking nvidia. He kept saying amd was better and i was trash for liking nvidia. Anyone have reasons why nvidia is better than amd?

I'm looking to get some small monitors for my computers to always display computer information such as cpu/memory/disk/etc usage as well as temperatures. Any of you do this? Not sure what to use. Could possibly use an old phone if i can find one that's not cracked but that's possibly too small.

I'm using a broke monitor with my laptop for monitor speakers. I have to connect the vga to laptop in order to use the monitor speakers(monitor is on). Will this break my video card?

yeah i figure you copy mirror the media to bypass copyright, if that still works. Then simply have your player flip it it again for normal viewing

I've seen some super small monitors, around the 7" range, but I don't honestly see the point. That's not information most people need to look at on a regular basis, and monitors that small don't tend to be very cost effective.

The cheapest smartphone is probably going to be cheaper than a small monitor. Imagine quality isn't really an issue.

No
Maybe you can find one of those portable DVD players at a thrift store or on craigslist.
If you're gaming, look into Steam home streaming. Otherwise, TurboVNC should work pretty well.

I can't imagine Warner Bros. could send you takedown notices, but I also feel like YouTube's agreement would have something to say about it. Fair Use, or something.

Operating system files usually don't take up that much space. I dunno about tails, but you could fit Ubuntu on it, so I doubt it'd be a problem. There's probably minimum requirements somewhere.

I want to migrate all my online accounts and shit, since I signed up to hundreds of things as a teenager on my current email. What email provider should I use? Google's botnet, Hotmail's stupid and everything else seems really niche. I want something mostly mainstream but who won't be total douchebags about privacy and having the webclient made out of shitty javascript.

Generally, as long as there's not anything going on in your additional monitors, they really don't make that much of a difference to 3D performance on your primary.

I just had a look into it and apparently there is no limit to the number of videos you can upload, regardless of whether they are private or not. you can share the private ones with 50 other YT users. Since 3rd parties can't do their own own copyright sweeps it just comes down to bypassing YTs initial copyright sweep. I would presume YT wouldn't do multiple sweeps of old stuff especially if it only has 1-2 views.

Youtube has an oddly strict copyright filter. Some things you can upload a straight rip and it won't care until it gets reported. Some things will be blocked immediately even if it's mirrored and sped up.

I uderstand a lot of bigger movies use that audio DRM, which survives encoding at an unwatchably low bitrate, but takes like 20 minutes to be authenticated. I'm not going to be uploading the latest bluray rip of the avengers or whatever, mostly TV shows and my chinese cartoons.

can you buy rolls of that plastic shit manufacturers put on new gear?