Be me

>be me
>fell for the install gentoo meme
>compiling chromium takes 3 hours
>room's temperature literary raises

How will Sup Forumsentoo fags justify this?

How do you justify running software that isn't compiled for your native CPU?

uninstall gentoo

laughed more than i should have

just buy a mac, you're too stupid for Gentoo

or go back to fagdows

just kidding

Just use literally any other distro. Gentoo is a waste of time.

by compiling huge packets overnight. Or, by installing -bin packages.
U are right tho, fuck chromium. It updates every fucking day and recompiling that shit is a chore. I have it in the /usr/portage/package.mask/chromium, and I unmask it every month or so.

>literary rises.
You must be Asian.

Use the binaries for big packages if you're running a toaster

if you piss the toilet seat, then you should sit down
just re install win10

Ubuntu just werks.

This desu senpai

It werks until it breaks. Gentoo, once you configured it, werks until the hardware breaks.

>be me
>fall for the gentoo meme
>annoyed at compiling for 8 hours to complete install and setup all dem programz
>finish up
>best computing experience I've ever had
>boot time is instantaneous
>everything runs smooth as butter
Going back to binary distros would be like taking a sponge bath after years of using a walk-in multi-head shower. The comfy-factor pays for itself you just have to jump those initial hurdles.

>piss the toilet seat
it would be extremely painful

Memesters pls go. Nobody actually runs gentoo. Stop making newbros waste hours of their life for bullshit.

People on Sup Forums do run gentoo, they just don't have to act like it's a lifestyle choice and announce it everywhere they use gentoo like archniggers do daily.

I was playing with pentoo because h4xx0r, not really, but it didn't take that long for me to compile anything, maybe 40 minutes for a full system upgrade?

My pc can't be that good compared to yours can it? It's fucking old (i7 960 rampage III extreme, etc).

Use Void Linux instead.

You do know that web browsers are very complex, right? They are basically compilers in and of themselves.

the circle is complete, begin the ritual

See I'm not a gentoo evangelist, but it is a very good distro and all the memes about how it takes a week of compiling to have a functional desktop are just disinformation.

Fair enough to say Gentoo shouldn't be advertised as Linux for Everyone, but neither should it be meme'd about like it is worse than leprosy.

how stable is gentoo unstable vs arch?
Switched from arch to gentoo not long ago and was wondering if it was worth it going fo the unstable packages

If you're (slow) computer takes forever to compile packages, wouldn't that also suggest your computer would benefit from having programs compiled for your specific architecture?
Maybe it's the other way around, idk.

Gentoo is easier to break accidentally, Arch is much easier to brake just regularly updating. I've never been one to go truly bleeding edge, but I have only ruined my gentoo box once in over nine years whereas my arch laptop typically breaks at least once a year when I'm not paying attention to update warning news.

Yep. The sower the cpu the more long-run benefit from running compiled and tailored software. I have a T60 gentoo laptop that's snappier than my wife's 3 year old macbook air. Everything was a pain to compile on the T60, but loading sequences a fraction of what they are under a binary one-size-fits-most distro.

basically this, portage is brilliant

If you don't want to clutter your /etc/portage/package.keywords folder to unmask every single package you would want the latest version of, then it is a must to go completely ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" on your make.conf file.

You shouldn't do such an upgrade on a running system, however. Only when your are intimately used to blocks and other shenanigans of portage is it advisable. The easiest way is to immediately go testing after unpacking the stage3 tarball and upgrade that.

Of course you could just see what portage spits out when you pretend update.

It's stable enough I guess. I never had arch break on me on my other PCs and gentoo didn't break in all the years I am using it. I did had to pay attention to some news items, though.
Thank god eselect news is build into portage and doesn't require me to go news hunting on gentoo.org.

To put it into perspective, I managed to break all debian based and rpm based distros at least once. Don't know why their extra repos tend to so fucked up.

There's no actual reason to go unstable systemwise if you use gentoo

Yeah

you're a big guy

We don't compile chromium.
google-chrome
google-chrome-beta
google-chrome-unstable

I work at Google and I still use chromium on my machines.

Cleaning google offices doesn't count

I have a multicolored badge.

This. I just don't spam "I AM SUPERIOR GENTOO USRR XDDFFD" in every thread. And that's partly because I don't want Archfags to come and ruin Gentoo like they did with Arch.

>Install Gentoo they said
>do it, my original problem was unsolved
>in the end I just got this boring OS

install lsf

What's lsf?

Compiling is for virgin grandpas...

How can one be a grandfather but also a virgin?

adoption

Then you wouldn't be a real grandpa, you'd be a faker.

Damn do you know you can sell your cum? I have already 60 children, 13 boys and 47 girls. That's all I can know but their databases are quite fragile.

but macports and brew compile everything too...

Nice dude, I'd sell my cum but nobody would want it because it's kind of gross and I usually just cum on the floor instead of into cups

>install the most based free distro still fighting for the good team
>so you can put botnetium on it

in all seriousness gentoo has binaries for furryfox and chromium, user

>Actually Install Gentoo
>It's not a meme, pretty good distro
>Don't go on Sup Forums and sperg about it
>See subhumans meme'ing about how bad it is
Just another day on neo/g/.