Best laptop around $1000

Hello Sup Forums
I am a 2nd year college student. I dabble in programming and game every once in a while. I am a mechanical engineering major and will need to run CAD in the near future.

What are some good laptops for my needs? Ive been thinking at least 200gb SSD, 8-16gb Ram, i7 processor, etc. I love the XPS15/m3800 but it seems pricey for what it offers.

Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=94t924uNkOo
store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/hp-omen--1#!
ark.intel.com/products/88192/Intel-Core-i7-6600U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-15-inch/
minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200/
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/
reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/4acv1b/microsoft_store_sale_xps_13_9350_hd_nontouch_i5/
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x260/#tab-customize
engadget.com/2016/07/27/xiaomi-mi-notebook-air-laptop-china/
microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/edu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

desktop of course
cheap portable for school
you dont need expensive trinket that loses values, overheats, damages easily and is expensive to repair

engineer for once in your life

I was considering this route, but Id still like a decent 15" laptop. Having a desktop isn't much of an option for me rn. I need something relatively strong and portable.

xps is your best choice you dont actually need a high end gpu for the CAD though
also look for student discounts

Used Dell Precision or HP ZBook.

meh, fucking retard
I just dont understand you people, how you live that you cant use desktop.

I guess best value will be some gaming one
those tend to have i7 and decent GPUs, also nvm m.2 ssds

look at MSI and acer nitro notebooks, dell inspiron too I guess, damn how I fucking hate glossy displays

with the quality models like dell lattitude or thinkpad T560 you wont get GPU to drive rendering or games I guess

If he does CAD at the classroom he's gonna look pretty fucking retarded with a desktop. Not your point? Stop whining about others and their choices.

OP I would recommend a dell laptop with a workstation card in it. It'll work great with CAD.

fellow MECHENG student here, if you're gonna run 3D CAD programs like Maya I suggest you to buy a 4k laptop or something near, have both a MacBook Pro 15" and a shitty 1080p Dell running Windows and I can say that Maya on a high-res screen is comfy af but I can't say that for the dumb 1080p

T460
15-20% EPP discount here

just buy a t60

ref. MBP of course.

where the fuck do you live where schools dont have PCs to run programs they teach?
I mean thats like really really shitty school

and go find what you recommend for $1000 faggot

Placebo. 4k at that low of size ia meaningless

>cheap portable for school

I feel dumb for asking, but how are desktops portable? What about a monitor?

you don't really need a $1000 laptop, especially if it looks like that ultra thin Windows 8 piece of shit
just get a $500 or so HP

>200 GB
KEK
you can't do shit with less than 500GB

He was listing two items

he would buy normal desktop that would have no problem with $150 gpu render anything, and play anything at 1080p and normal details and would allow upgrade

and for school he would bring some chromebook, or thinkpad 13, or anything thats small and portable with long battery life for some writing and basic shit.

not fucking drag 15" gaming bullshit powerful PC around like a retard.

OP here's what you need.

Get an MSI PE60-31US. It has an i7-6700HQ, a 1TB 7200RPM HDD, 8GB DDR4 RAM, and a GTX 960M GPU.

It also has an unused M.2 SSD slot, so what you'll want to do is buy either a 256GB or 512GB M.2 SSD, open the laptop up and cram that baby in there and make it the system drive.

inital laptop costs like 999$ MSRP, maybe $900 or $800 if you can find it on sale somewhere. getting the added SSD should be anywhere from $100-$200, leaving you spending $900-$1200 depending on the deals you find.

He means having a desktop at home, and a cheap portable at school

Gpu is not needed for CAD?

Are you saying a ssd is not necessary? Also, I just tend to study in a lot of other places and I also may need a laptop in class that can do high-end rendering. Also, what are the alternatives to glossy displays?

The dell m3800 is essentially an XPS 15 with a workstation graphics card in it. Is that worth it to get though? Would it really justify the steep increase in price?

UCLA. They have the tech but I dont study at home frequently since I'm not always there. Having the option to post up anywhere is what I'm looking to do.

I must admit, it is very tempting to just get something cheap for now and then build out a desktop and force myself to be home when I need to study. Will a desktop save me that much money?

Who uses Maya for CAD and why?

t. never used a higher DPI screen

>xps13 is 1700 aud for the basic model
Who is this even aimed at? You're better off buying a mbp, at least those have good resale value.

>aud

What does/g/ think of HP ProBooks?

>HP ProBook
They're like, what, HP's Latitude?

>Are you saying a ssd is not necessary?

nope, its m.2 slot for ssd using pcie lane, which uses nvme protocol... technical stuff, meaning it uses fastest possible ssd
I am not saying nvm - never mind

>Also, I just tend to study in a lot of other places
study =/= render, I think you will be one of the morons who drop out because they imagine they will be doing cool things inside cool software... and bam, math and physics and tables for everything

>also may need a laptop in class that can do high-end rendering.
find out, ask at school
I just personally can not imagine school not having classrooms prepared with PCs running the shit they teach
some shady school there

>Also, what are the alternatives to glossy displays?
glossy - reflection
matte - no reflections, but less WOW rich colors factor

They don't accept freedom bux here, gotta make do with what we've got.

cheap, decent build for the price, I like speaker thats on top above keybaord, they tend to have decent specs for the price, even for cheap you get FHD
shit tier preinstalled software, especially that security stuff

that would be their elitebooks I think

If you can deal with fugly looks, get an alienware 13

same specs as the xps 15 w/ nvidia gpu for around $1100 if you get the 1080p non-touch

also it has a comfy lattitude style keyboard

Not at industrial level (they use proprietary software like CATIA or shits like that) but here we use Maya or SketchUp because we have complementary exams like 3D Drafting or Industrial Production Methods

Im a little behind in technical terms. Completely misinterpreted that.

I entirely understand what you're saying. A bit presumptuous to think I'd drop out considering all I do right now is math and physics.

I think I will just get a subpar gaming laptop in the meantime. Looks alright, runs alright, and I can travel with it. Ill just build out a desktop next year when I truly need it.

With that being said, would I even need an SSD? 16gb ram? i7? I have about $1000 I'm comfortable spending.

also one thing came to mind, saw it on mobiletech youtube channel

HP Omen 15
youtube.com/watch?v=94t924uNkOo

I like that it does not look like faggy childish gaming notebook
store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/hp-omen--1#!

What's a decent enough laptop to learn technology on?

You have a shit school

nope, none that you would need

i3/i5 cpu would do you fine
4GB RAM would be fine, I am not kidding, really sure 8GB is better but dont consider 4GB a deal breaker
ssd you can put in to anything, for extremely cheaper prices than whats offered on new
ssd you put in whenever you feel like it, but its 100% worth shelling extra for some 250GB one

graphics is kinda question, but I think even low tier 940m would be enough for you, 960m would be absolutely comfort

second hand thinkpad is Sup Forums popular choice case faggots are poorfags and old thinkpads are kinda fine
comes around $100-$150

Shitaly is shit

My current laptop is i3 with 4gb ram and it struggles to do even simple stuff. Any time I compile a program, it takes easily 30s where its instant on my friends' laptops. Gaming is completely out of the question. So would i7 really be overkill or should I just drop the extra and get 8gb,i7, 250gb ssd?

first thing I would do is buy $100 ssd for your old notebook and reinstall system
it should really bring brand new life in to it, will feel like awesome new shit I guarantee
and you can always put it in to your new one

anyway on notebooks i5/i7 usually have 2 cores and 4 threads, they have U in the name
same as i3 has 2 cores and 4 threads

they are not as different as on desktops, where its
i3 - 2 cores 4 threads
i5 - 4 cores 4 threads
i7 - 4 cores 8 threads

would also check compilation settings on your notebook, if you use all cores / all threads if difference on yours and friends is so huge

CPU is not as important in notebooks as it might seem
if you got i5 there, then put its name in to fucking google and check stats on intels sites
if more cores, threads, or whats the different, here is for example i7 6600U
ark.intel.com/products/88192/Intel-Core-i7-6600U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

if only frequency is rised when compared to i5 then its obviously not worth paying extra $170 for the upping

if I were you I would pic some notebook in your price range that looks OKish
and start asking about it on reddit notebooks subreddits, and around here in 12 hours, and next day and shit
get some ideas
some knowledgable people might see it and offer something better
then you take that something better and start asking... repeat unless no better thing is offered

What does it look like then?

If you want support with software, you want a workstation GPU.

>I think I will just get a subpar gaming laptop in the meantime
Ugh, no, don't do this. If you don't want to buy a workstation laptop, 1000 bucks can get you a decent desktop workstation like an HP Z420 and a decent laptop you can RDP into the Z420 with.

Check Y700 from lenovo

I wrote on it yesterday
it had the bestkeyboard I ever wrote on
I think its mechanical somewhat, clicky,... very awesome
though design is bit childish

shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-15-inch/

minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200/

I want Asus UX306

why

ok, my bad, it was y900 which is insanely more expensive

>ultrabook
>cad

A thinkpad P50 is good

So many options for me... Im very torn on what to do guys. Do I get a laptop? Do I just build a desktop and sit in my room and fo HW all day?

And there are about a thousand laptops in my price range but not sure what to get. I just don't want buyers remorse for something this expensive.

>Do I just build a desktop and sit in my room and fo HW all day?
Do this

Get a chinkpad

The only downside to this it seems is that I can't program away from home or even do anything I need away from home.

Listen to this guy OP

I checked
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/

I think user is correct and its probably best bet to go with
SSD you put in yourself whenever

the desktop/laptop thing is increasingly a meme.
You can get the same result for anything with an eGPU and an old laptop with an expresscard slot.

>chinese junk MSI and Acer, maybe asus

Can't stress this enough. Pretty much all modern laptops have horrible build quality (clunky, overheating etc), except the likes of macbooks and vaio.

No idea why people still fall for this Dell, HP, Lenovo etc meme when these are basically same shit as gook junk, but gooks have it 20% or more cheaper.

Maybe makes sense for business support contracts, but individuals? Blah.

Go to
>Get 28% off a T560
Comes with Intel i5
4gb ram
Upgrade screen to 1080p
would cost like 800USD
then buy an SSD and replace the HDD yourself
Then upgrade the ram one day if you need to

Not that old, you still need pcie 3.0 in that slot at least, pcie 2.0 is barely usable. EC is limited to single lane (yes, that's literally "1x").

why are you not recommending P50s / P50 when that would fit his use FAR better?
any actual reason, or its just habit taking over... parroting what you are used to?

Is pic related a good deal for $750? Local Microcenter has this and there is a guy there who is a Vaio Rep. He tells me Sony no longer owns the brand and Vaio is stand alone now. That if I buy any of their laptops AND 2 year warranty ($50) the laptops are $400 off as a promotion.

Can you explain this in more detail? I dont understand.

Basically that fag is saying that there is no need for a desktop at all. That you can get by by using an external graphics card setup.

While eGPU's have bcome a bit easier to make / buy and larger support, they still don't even come close to trumping a good desktop, or a good laptop with dedicated graphics.

I dislike VAIO
it was bad quality

but I had one guy swear by it, I otherwise trust him

would still not get it
thinkpad 13 should cost similarly
add bit more and get dell XPS 13
look around for asus UX303/305/306
worth looking at acer S13 maybe too

Pricey, considering the mid-end innars (gook is almost half the price with these specs). Still, go for it if you prefer brand.

Check if it runs gnu/gentoo first, if you're an user.

Get a Chromebook for school, I have the Acer R11, it is awesome. Then, build a desktop for homework and all intensive tasks.

oh, wait, so that notebook costs $400?
yeah, get it

Are there good laptops with dedicated graphics in my price range though

I LOVE the look/feel of the dell XPS 13 but is it worth it? Would that be a good laptop to have alongside a more powerful workstation at home?

Thanks for the input. I currently have an ailing T420 laptop that is breaking in various ways so it needs replacing. While I have a Toshiba Chromebook 2 to hold me over, it kills me I have no sort of "heavy lifting" laptop that can do more than my Celeron-3215U can.

Was on the fence about what to buy. Are "ultrabooks" capable of running the CPU maxed out 100% without over heating? Seems like every laptop has a warm running CPU, even with Intel 14nm tech. Fucker idles at 45C and hits 95C when under 75% load. While I don't want a desktop replacement, I do want something that can handle heavy loads (VM usage etc) without reenacting Chernobyl.

Oh, if it's $600, that's pretty nice.

I imagine those don't really sell, as typical vaio user base wants high end. Not sure what were those crazy nips thinking, dipping into turbocompetitive mid range segment.

Nah it's 1100-400+50=750

no no no. If it did I wouldn't be asking. Opinion of Sup Forums be damned. It's $400 off price tag. $350 after buying their warranty.

>CPU maxed out 100% without over heating?

High end typically can, because they have good thermal designs (dissipating into aluminium body). Macbooks, vaio s13.

Unfortunately this vaio, isn't the typical high end rank, as per Still, I imagine it would be less horrible than typical gook/dell/lenovo. Unless vaio is trying to replicate the downward spiral of IBM->Lenovo, which would be rather sad.

>LOVE the look/feel of the dell XPS 13 but is it worth it?
depends on how poorfag are you and what luck you have

I saw sales of it going for $685
reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/4acv1b/microsoft_store_sale_xps_13_9350_hd_nontouch_i5/

also depends on what you would be getting if you would not be getting the XPS...

watch some youtube reviews of it, and notebookcheck review
but I would not get it, would keep eye on reddit /r/dell and wait for some sales
kabby lake models might drop soon, maybe there will be some sales

also someguy recently talked how he bought thinkpad X260 for 320 pounds on ebay at an auction
but those babies also can be had for similar price, check reddit /r/thinkpad
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x260/#tab-customize

Im still torn between the 15" and 13". Im thinking 13" may be the right choice for a college student that doesnt stay in one place too long.

One thing I did want was a dedicated graphics card though. Just for when I do decide to play games or when I wanted to run CAD on the fly. But the XPS 13 doesn't offer that unfortunately.

If I didnt get the XPS, I dont really know what I'd get. So many options...

seems like you need to wait for xiaomi 13"
assuming it sells in the US
engadget.com/2016/07/27/xiaomi-mi-notebook-air-laptop-china/

I can render the cad models I need for the projects I do with a x220 using a VM.
For me, 12.5" is fine, much smaller and thus much easier to put in a small bag.
You want external screens when you are stationary anyway.

Do graphics not depend on the graphics card? Is it just on the monitor? Meaning, a dell XPS could get higher frames when rendering by simply using a monitor?

Please explain.

Additional help is greatly welcomed.

framerate depends on the GPU and the resolution of the monitor. If he's doing CAD on an X220, he may have an eGPU.
I have the laptop, and I can at least run STALKER on it. Intel 3000 isn't too terrible.

love your country vaffanculo pezzo di merda

Do what I said, if you aren't going to get a workstation laptop.

>workstation GPU
I mean I'd assume most unis would acknowledge the fact that most students can't get their hands on those

HP not even once. That "Intelligent provisioning" crap runs in a firefox. Takes ages to configure anything. Even their servers are shit.
>Source: Just spent 4 hours configuring the iLo ports of 4 9gen pieces of crap.

What a completely irrelevant post

Op, same major here with the same budget about to buy a laptop as well. I'm leaning towards a 14" Lenovo yoga 710

>I feel dumb for asking

At least you're aware of your disability.

FYI, the Microsoft store has a $350 discount on the XPS for students right now. It's already $200 off for everybody, so it's really like getting $150 off, but still.
microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/edu