Why does the RX 480 4GB even exist?

Why does the RX 480 4GB even exist?
An 8GB RX 470 can be had for about the same price. And RX 470 can even be overclocked to match the performance of a lightly OC'd 480.
What the fuck was AMD smoking?

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/223913/amd-retail-radeon-rx-480-4gb-to-8gb-memory-unlock-mod-works-we-benchmarked
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A 4GB RX 480 is just like the non-FE MSRPs for Nvidia: (((marketing))) lies for a fake price-point.

4GB 480s and 3GB 1060s are for truly the poorest off poorfags anyway.

Its perfect for crypto mining

Wasn't the 4GB just an 8GB card with a different BIOS? Flashing the 8GB BIOS turned every 4GB card into an 8GB one.

>bought a 4GB RX 480 on release for just 219€
>turns out it's actually an 8GB card
>can overclock to same and even higher performance than the 8GB one
Why does VRAM matter again?

Depends on card lottery success

techpowerup.com/223913/amd-retail-radeon-rx-480-4gb-to-8gb-memory-unlock-mod-works-we-benchmarked

You got a reference model?

>buy sapphire RX460 with 4gb of vram
>actually need this vram for light rendering
>decently powerful card
>maxing out use at just over 2gb of vram
>look up why
>4gb 460's only use half their vram unless in crossfire
crossfiring two 460's seems like autism incarnate to me, and then id have 8gb of vram, half of which i wouldnt use

shoulda bought a 480

Can't do that anymore. All RX 480 4GB produced after the second week of June are true 4GB turds.

gb 460's only use half their vram unless in crossfire
wut

yeah

Specifically the sapphire nitro, XFX and Powercolor ones do this shit
crossfireX is needed to enable 2gb of the vram
honestly, its worse than the 3.5gb meme
AMD jewed me out of 2gb of vram

>Why does VRAM matter again?
Textures.

[citation needed]

>Why does VRAM matter again?

high-res textures, usually for mods.

also, some rendering styles based on heavy postprocessing need massive so-called G-buffers that can start sucking down memory capacity and bandwidth like you wouldn't believe.

amd is being retarded. It should be like this:

460: 2GB only
470: 4GB only
480: 8GB only

do not offer idiot options, we have nvidia for that.

That's fucking mental.
They sell a 4GB card and only let you use 2GB?
AMDBOI through and through, I just bought an 8GB 480, but that's totally fucked.
Literally 3.5GB tier

Lmgtfy.com/?q=rx460+4gb+only+using+2gb+vram

literally nothing about this shows up

More and more games are relying on resource heavy post-processing and caching as much of an open game world to VRAM as possible. Unreal Engine 4 games are going to see this practice A LOT, notable examples I recently witnessed are Talos Principle and now Obduction, great games, fucking RAM hogs because everyone wants to "push boundaries" by having the game world as persistent as possible.

4GB cards today might be fine but in less than 2 years they are going to choke hard, its almost exactly like going for 1/2GB in 2012 and seeing the effects of longevity.

If you upgrade fairly often, cool dont comment, most people dont which is why I always recommend the higher capacity version of any card if possible.

It's paid shills shitposting