Who is ordering the Dragonbox Pyra

Who is ordering the Dragonbox Pyra
I know I am

Other urls found in this thread:

pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/
indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8750-win-10-os-game-console-laptop#/
youtube.com/watch?v=a0oa27RV39M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_(system_on_chip)
repo.openpandora.org,
n-o-d-e.net/post/141489192021/how-to-create-a-handheld-linux-terminal-v2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

If they do a version that replaces the gaymer shit with something that's actually useful.

Seems interesting.

I remember pre-ordering an Open Pandora in 2008 when it was actually relevant

and getting a refund in 2009 when it no longer was

I'd buy it if it wasn't so weak for the price and if they removed the gayming controller shit in favor of a better keyboard.

It seems cool but I don't have a use for it

Is it worth getting as a fun gimmick? I really wanted the original one but it was so expensive but I'm finally making engineer bux and am bummed I missed the original

This. Also they need to drop clamshell in favor of slider form factor.

why the fuck would you want it to be a slider?
in your pocket clamshell protects the screen from scratches and prevents your ass from accidentally pushing any buttons
with a slider model you leave either the keyboard or the screen unprotected

It's 2016, please red pill me why can't we just 3d print this around $30 7" tablet?

>why the fuck would you want it to be a slider?
So I can use the screen without it being twice as large as it needs to be?
>in your pocket clamshell protects the screen from scratches
My pocket does that regardless of form factor
>prevents your ass from accidentally pushing any buttons
So does a slider

Then it'd be a shitty netbook instead of a UMPC

595 euro bucks for 2gb version.
seems like rip off to me

The Pandora almost failed but Evil Dragon was able to get them shipped. he then started development on the pyra with new features and fixes that he talks about on youtube

Is it worth getting? No, you should get a $150 netbook and a PS4 controller if you want vidya

But it is a thing that you can get

Get a N900?

Fuck that piece of shit

Is it better to get the first batch or wait till the second or third time? Iirc the open Pandora had some cable/hardware issues with the first run of them

That looks like shit

Needs to be marketable to billion of normies first to be cheap. Fucking economies of scale is why we can't have anything nice.

>get el cheapo 2in1 netbook instead

Sad reality of it. And when windows dies except for office work, there won't be even that option.

>want's a ARM slider
>then he says it's shit
Make up your mind shithead

>discussing UMPCs
>suggests a tiny outdated smartphone updated with less outdated internals
And I definitely never said anything about wanting it to be ARM.

>2 Cortex-A15 cores @ 1.7 GHz
>2GB RAM
>720p screen
>~$700
Is this a joke?

If I wanted to buy something of a similar size, 3D print a case and jam a screen and keyboard into it what would you reccomed for that price range?

The only difference between netbook and umpc is year 2008 when marketing faggots renamed established term again.

Also no stylus and shitty resistive displays, but we're getting back there.

Check the GPD Win or XD

>The only difference between netbook and umpc
I know there's no rigid standard on what's what but I've thought (and general consensus seems to agree) that a netbook is a tiny laptop (say ~9" to

how do you feel about the twist screen form factor?

>want's

I'd pre-order if they had an expected release date

Thumb typing, hmm. Imo phones with slide keyboards took that niche at roughly same time as netbooks shown up.

For the sake of aspergers, UMPCs still relevant if it's x86 and can run windows apps reasonably (the "PC" part) I suppose, touchscreen + thumb keyboard.

This is outdate super overpriced garbage, everyone not braindead is gonna order the GPD WIN instead.

indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8750-win-10-os-game-console-laptop#/

Unfortunately it sold out but for around $300 you will get 4GB of RAM and a non angry birds processor (4 x86 core @ 2.56 GHz X7 Z8750 with active cooling) which means you get an actual UMPC. That and 64GB of internal storage + micro sd slot, and 4GB of RAM.

We will probably see more stock around Novermber, I'm waiting until then.

I really wanted one of those.

Best laptop form factor there is, I'd prefer slider for a UMPC though. Twist would still be better than clamshell for sure.

Picked one up with my tax return, I love it. Next on the list is a Vaio P

>(the "PC" part)
????

Certainly. Can't wait for notaz and ptitseb to get their prototypes and show off what the Pyra can do.

What use is it in 2016?

Yeah, it's almost too cheap to be true, but definitely considering gpd win over meme ARM from 2012.

Browsing the web, programming, SSH, light gaming, you know, basic computer stuff.

>angry birds processor
You're the same guy that calls Debian's ARM port "Debian Mobile", aren't you?

What's debian?

He's that guy who calls babies first Atom SoC a "4 x86 core @ 2.56 GHz"

What is the point of this though?

If you say gaymen, then just turn off your computer and kys as Windows is updating

This does nothing any phone made in the last 6 years can do, except without being shit.

It's got a keyboard, runs a real OS, and has upgradeable components.

>What is the point of this though?
This is Sup Forums 2016 for you, friends.
Just go back to Facebook or Twitter or wherever you and your normie friends usually hang out.

>discussing UMPCs
When did we did that? We where discussing and ARM portable and not x86 UMPC.
Hope it's just bait.

>muh semantics
Eat a dick.

this

>keyboard,
Physical keyboards are objectively shit. Post your fedora collection so we can laugh at you

>runs a real OS
>Debian
>Hilarious reaction image

>upgradeable components
So you're gonna be upgrading components for something that you already admitted was only for web browsing?

>This is Sup Forums 2016 for you, friends.
>"It's actually a Trilby" the post

Can't understand for what the fuck you want this piece of shit

>Physical keyboards are objectively shit
It's almost as if personal preferences are a thing. Weird, I know! I get that you're a masochist, but not everyone is.
>Debian's not a real OS
0/10
>So you're gonna be upgrading components
Yes
>for something that you already admitted was only for web browsing?
I'd like to see you point out where I said that. I'll give you a hint: you can't.

Don't want it? Don't buy it. Not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

He's right though. This thread is not about discussing x86 UMPCs but about the Pyra.

Also something about the "hurr durr 2012 phone hardware" meme:
youtube.com/watch?v=a0oa27RV39M
2 Playstation emulators, a MegaDrive emulator, Gimp, LibreOffice all running in KDE at the same time without any GPU acceleration. If you actually think it's fair to compare this to a 2012 Android device performance wise then you are absolutely retarded. The SoC is certainly fast enough and since it's modular you can easily upgrade it.

I don't think the design is even very good, an 11" netbook gets you a full sized keyboard and a separate game controller has much better controls. Modern cheapo netbooks weigh

Also let's not forget that the OpenPandora was way worse performance wise and just as a quick recap, here's what you could play on that (on a 2008 low-tier ARM processor NOT running Android)
>Star Wars Jedi Academy
>Return to Castle Wolfenstein
>Serious Sam The First&Second Encounter
>Diablo I & II
>Half Life 1
>Every N64 game
>Every SNES game
>Every PS1 game
>Libreoffice
>Starcraft 1
>Theme Hospital
...and many others.

The reason why people fail to realize the potential of ARM is because they only know it from poorly optimized phones running a OS that's notorious for wasting resources left and right.

One final thing: Yes, the GDP Win is cheaper and the Atom chip is newer and faster. Ultimately, it's up to the individual to decide which device is better but here's an unbiased comparison:

GDP Win:
>Can play Cowadoody and other normie shit
>Restrictive proprietary software, SoC confirmed shit for Linux

Pyra:
>Can play ports, emulators and other neckbeard shit
>Free as in freedom software, SoC confirmed okay for Linux (GPU has no free driver, blob necessary for 3D games)

Things both devices can do (about equally well)
>Emulate games up to Dreamcast flawlessly
>Emulate PS2 and Gamecube poorly

mm what is that m8

>about equally
nigga that atom on that GPD WIN has fucking active cooling and A15 ARM cores are weaker than Airmont x86 cores. The GPD WIN has about 4X the raw CPU power of that angry birds processor.

They are not "about equa l" at all.

>What is the point of this though?
To have a portable shitposting machine

>SoC
stop

time to tip fedoras now

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_(system_on_chip)

It looks fucking awesome. I'll wait for reviews.

What's wrong with that? Also A15 cortex cores are fucking dogshit in terms of performance and probably weaker than those airmon atom cores on the Z8750. It doesn't help that the atom chip on that thing has a fucking copper heatsink with a fan cooling it.

The pyra is a fucking joke.

If it's dogshit then how come it does actual multitasking better than any phone currently available?

>If it's dogshit then how come it does actual multitasking better than any phone currently available?
Because it doesn't use Android. You can multitask quite well on any device that allows you to install a different OS.

However x86 software support is paramount if you truly want to multi task. No point in a multi tasking OS if all you can do is play angry birds in different windows.

>No point in a multi tasking OS if all you can do is play angry birds in different windows.
Oh yes, because ARM linux support is so terrible, especially within the Pandora/Pyra community.
see repo.openpandora.org, etc

I used to shill x86 but then I realized that all the linux programs I use on a daily basis have been ported to ARM. x86 really only matters for content creators and gaymers on Windows. Not on a handheld focused on emulation and productivity.

Can any of the currently available UMPCs play Borderlands 2?

Does it have Android or Windows?

If it's Android I'm sold.

>1/10 no trackpoint

>Android or Windows?

No :).

Sorry lincuck but I want a functioning OS.

Pretty sure it has neither. See the GPD Win if you want windows

>has hateboner for linux
>lol if it got android im in bby

>functioning OS
>Android
>Windows

Nice bait. Anyways, the Pyra can run Android.

So is the agreement GCPD for pure gaymes and pyra if you wanna fuck around with Linux as well as emulate most old games?

Yes. Also the Pyra if you are a working member of society and the GDP Win if you are a NEET poorfag.

It's pretty shit for what you're paying. 2011 SoC, bulky ass first-gen DS chassis, awkward controls and keyboard. Even with a modern chip, they'd still need to find a way to make it comfortable to use, maybe have the front panel be modular or fold out more for typing.

worse than the fags wanting to play on their chinkpads

When can I pick up a GPD WIN?

Hopefully by November. I'm pretty excited to get one, I would have pre ordered one sooner but I was broke back then.

That will be mass-produced stock?

I'd love to, I really would but the price is absurd.

Hopefully. I want the revival of UMPCs as much as you do.

It runs Crysis three, I'm in fucking shock

Shit ARM architecture. I mean, ARM by itself is good, but what can i do on this that i can't already on my phone?

how about you read the thread?

You can run debian mobile on it.

0/10

i can do all of this using busybox

Doesn't that thing have ULV netbook-tier parts and a suitably shitty IGP?

I jewed Crisis 3 (fuck Origin) and I had to turn a lot of shit down on my mid-end machine to get it to run playably.

Yes but it has active cooling which means it will stay at turbo frequencies longer which means unusually more performance than what you would normally see on a shitty netbook with no cpu cooling at all.

Do you believe everything you're told

Not him but are you saying that Atom SoC can't maintain turbo frequencies more if it's cooled by a ventilated copper heatsink? I mean yeah those netbooks have cooling but it's just a passive copper heatsink. Or is this a max TDP wattage kinda problem?

I would rather make my own for a lot less with a cuck pi
n-o-d-e.net/post/141489192021/how-to-create-a-handheld-linux-terminal-v2