Let's discuss wireless adapters for desktop PCs

Let's discuss wireless adapters for desktop PCs.

What do you use?

Yes yes I know
>wireless
>desktop

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQEX7AQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm also curious about this. A power line adapter might be a better solution though. There are security issues though if you're in an apartment.

>>wireless
>>desktop

Tried powerline, the latency, bandwidth and throughput was inferior, then again my apartment wiring is probably not the best.

>powerline adapter
>implying someone can't just plug another adapter into the wall and have full root access to your pc

You can encrypt the traffic dumbass

I have that exact adapter. Can't complain.

The cheapest one in the nearest store

What driver do you use?

They are all complete garbage.

I don't personally use one but I bought pic related for my niece's desktop. Works great with high transfer speeds. Is located about 20 meters from the access point with 4 thin walls between. It also had an external antenna with magnet stand so it can be placed further away.

TP Link WDN 4800,
the reason I use it is because of the open atheros chipset drivers...
meaning no need for driver installation cds for either gnu/linux or windows os

If you can't use Ethernet for some reason, 802.11ac is decent to settle for. Wifi usually sucks dick because of low bandwidth and high interference, new standard takes care of both.

But for the love of god, get an Intel-based card if you can. They are plug-and-play for practically any OS. Realtek's drivers were written by blind toddlers and Broadcom are Jews that make non-Windows functionality a pain.

AND DO NOT GET A USB DONGLE. Even a 3.0 one. They are worse than shit and many of them like the Realtek 8812AU-based ones don't even work correctly on Windows 8-10.

Also, now that I think about it, some mid-high-end motherboards have built-in wireless networking. If it's Intel, you're basically paying for the same thing in a new build but with more space for airflow.

> Broadcom are Jews
so true, I bought a broadcom pci card once...terrible shit, barely worked and had a worse signal than my previous card

archer T9E here, it's fantastic. gets a constant 1300mbit to my X4S on another floor, thru 3 solid wooden walls.

Cheapest the store had. Or more exactly the cheapest offered by the cheapest of the stores I could pick up stuff from inplace without paying for shipping.

I usually get Intel as they have good driver support

>What do you use?
Get literally whatever is cheapest and replace the chipset with something good. All they are are mini-PCI cards on an adapter.

I picked up the TP-Link Archer T9E
Remember to only install the driver and not any extra bullshit software.

Works great paired with my ASUS RT-N66R (Yes I know I'm using an AC capable adapter with an N router, I bought the router long before, plan on upgrading once good ones are cheap)

>They are worse than shit and many of them like the Realtek 8812AU-based ones don't even work correctly on Windows 8-10.
Can you elaborate more on this?

I had two with that chipset and it was problematic.

OP, I have the Asus one in your pic. It's never failed me, which can't be said for any other adapter I've ever used. Of course it's not quite as fast as an ethernet line, but it's good enough for me, I get like 120mbps with it from my 1gbit line.

My motherboard came with WiFi support, but I don't use it. I use Ethernet to get better speed and reliability, I don't see why you'd use wireless for a computer you don't move around constantly.

>I get like 120mbps with it from my 1gbit line
I can only assume you have a different computer connected via Ethernet that can take advantage of that speed, right?

Looks very similar to the one you have in that picture actually like ASUS Ac9200 or something has a 1.3Gb connection.

Is there a hackintosh friendly Intel wifi card?

People living in houses usually don't enjoy dragging cables on the walls and drill holes everywhere. I'm blessed living in a new condo that have between 6 to 10 gigabit ports in every room except the toilet.

i use a linksys ea6700 router with tomato firmware as a wireless ethernet bridge (and wireless repeater on 5ghz) for my pc, xbone and smart tv. shit works so much better like this

>People living in houses usually don't enjoy dragging cables on the walls and drill holes everywhere.
Sucks for them. They should either buy houses that have it installed or not own desktops.

run a fucking wire

>stop liking what I don't like
5 GHz WiFi is fine.

There is obviously a market for and it works for the people buying them. They do most likely not belong in the "I sit in front of my computer every wake moment" crowd.

Sure, if all you're looking for is 'fine'. Gigabit Ethernet is great in comparison.

>gigabit ports in every room except the toilet
>except the toilet

>not having a dedicated computer in the shitting room with a gigabit uplink

not even close, some of us have 2gbit+ AC networks with next to no latency. you think it's "great" to wire up 50 different devices at all times?

I usually read a tech magazine on the shitter. I figured if I've been a subscriber to the magazine for the past 30 years I can keep going another 30 years.

>some of us have 2gbit+ AC networks
No, you don't. That doesn't exist. You have 866Mbps AC networks and they are not full duplex like GbE nor are they as reliable or secure.
>you think it's "great" to wire up 50 different devices at all times?
You have 50 devices with 1000Base-T support? Really?

2Gbit theoretical max, if you're right next to the router and there's only one device connected and there's no other wireless networks within half a mile and no one is using the microwave oven and your device hasn't throttled down to 'n' speeds for power saving.

>next to no latency
pic related

I have the Wlan card you posted user but one tier higher (with faster 5G wlan) because I use the Internet of my bro in the next flat and we canĀ“t use a lancable(landlord the mofo).
Works like a charm and only have like 3ms higher ping so 20-23ms instead of 17-20ms in cs:go no choke no nothing.

Not OP but I also have that one....I use the most recent one from the website of course.

It crashes if I torrent with the latest driver.

I've never had a ping that was greater than 1ms on my 5GHz AC setup.

I love mine

TP-Link Archer AC1900 reportin in

there is only one wireless device you need to provide internet to your computer

Lies. Even so that's 10 times what you'll typically get over Base-T.

oh? run ping -t to your router for a few hours and post the summary that comes up when you ctrl-c.

Was thinking about this vs the Asus AC68 in OP's image for a new build. Still undecided.

Give me a number of pings to run so I can post it in this thread before I go and sleep. Is 500 good for you?

Well I did it, results:

Minimum = 0ms
Maximum = 3ms
Average = 0ms

About 95% of the pings are

My Dlink usb 3.0 dongle works perfectly fine senpai. I get the same download speed on ethernet with it.

It was a real pain to get drivers working for it on Windows 10 though

Now go more than 10 feet from the AP.

I don't actually know where it came from but my parents dug it up while they were cleaning out their house before they move. They had no use for it so I just put it in my machine for safekeeping.

I tried that but now I need a new motherboard

amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQEX7AQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This boy right here

i got the archer t6e one
thats the t9e right?

10/10 if your not into gaming

Daily reminder that microwave band radiation is bad for you.

I got the 1300. Works good. How much better is the 1900?

yes it is the t9e, and it is great for what I do, which is watch youtube and go on the internet. I dont game much but when I do I don't feel to much lag, but I'm sure 9/10 here would

I dont have that one, but Im sure it isn't very much better. I just wanted something that would last the longest and be the best for what I wanted to spend.

Note that I am about 25 feet away from the router and there are like 3-4 walls in the way.

This is the performance test

If the driver for the chipset in a wireless adapter has a driver for windows 10, it's good to go?

The website for this adapter doesn't saw it does but I guess it does anyway? Thinking of buying this.

fuck I forgot to add the picture

It's supported in windows 10 natively, doesn't need the TP Link driver.

I use one of those.

I use a Rosewill Dual Band AC600
It's alright. I have 200MB internet and I cap out around 12MB with 5G. The only reason I forgo the ethernet cable is I fucking hate wires

good just double checking...

ty

nobody in their right minds would do this

if you can carry a fucking 45lbs desktop around you can carry an ethernet cable

enjoy your lag and non-optimal stabilty and speed

>Let's discuss wireless adapters for desktop PCs.
A old phone hooked up to my WiFi tethered with a USB cable, i did it as a stopgap and never needed to buy a new wireless card.

edgy

lmao nice speed

so this is the power of wifi?

haha

I use an Airport card from a 2011 or 12 mac pro so it's hackintosh friendly. I don't have ac, so it works great.

$10 for the airport, another 7 for the pcie adapter.

I think you mean 'appartments'

what, do I need 400 zigabits per second to go on Sup Forums? am I missing a feature, that can only be unlocked with some crazy speed? (also my ISP sucks and connecting with ethernet to the router only brings it up to like 17mbps)

>tfw Comcast will never offer 400 zbps connections

I have an asrock mini itx Mobo with Intel wifi onboard. Makes it so much easier when I take my computer to a friend's house to play games.

>tfw you get better speeds stealin' the neighbours WiFi like a dirty nigger from 50+ metres away

Feels good man.

>I fucking hate wires
Same here. I also don't like to damage my walls.
I only drill holes for furniture if it's unavoidable = almost never.
This house should remain nice for another 20-30 years.

>get an archer d7 router, paired with archer t9e pci-e card.
>have lots of devices at home, parents' laptops, mobile devices etc.
>setup dual band network, 2.4ghz for parents, 5ghz for myself, exclusively for my gaymen desktop
>put a bandwidth limit on 2.4ghz network
>literally squeeze all the internet out of the 5ghz line through 802.11ac
>mfw

so u wuz sayin

and it's thru 3 solid wood walls to the router with ~35 active devices

never going back to ethernet again

I too agree about broadcom being jews. I had a Netgear PCI card with a broadcom chip. Had to repurpose some old linux drivers for a different card to get that shit working.

What about routers? I was thinking of getting this shit since my current router craps out on 4k videos but everyone says it breaks.

>wanting your router to become sentient and run away

Useful if you have multiple devices on at the same time.

We used to have ADSL2 and we had the house's landline in the livingroom (going through a filter) and the ADSL2 modem/router in my room, which was enough to give WiFi to the whole house, but me and my brother's bedrooms got the best speeds.

Now we switched to VDSL (50/5) and the landline phone hooks up to the modem/router our ISP gave us. So we had to move the router to the living room.

Now I hardly reach 13mbps through WiFi, whereas when I tested moving it into my room, I got 43mbps through WiFi.
But I can't have the landline in my bedroom, so it cannot be.

I don't know how to fix it, people suggested I should buy an access point which connects to the router via ethernet and then bring it closer to our bedrooms, but its way too expensive.

I have a wireless card only to use for homepass for 3ds. Feels good

I use a tp link one with the black heat sink
It does the job but you can't really beat wired connection

>I don't know how to fix it
Buy a Ubiquiti access point. Consumer ones are pretty shit.

>salvaged wifi-n/bluetooth modules from my spoilt laptops
>bought chinky adapters
>obtained bluetooth/wifi module for desktops

Forgot my picture.

If I place it in the living room next to the router, will I get good speeds?

The point is I don't want to have an ethernet cable running across the roof

>If I place it in the living room next to the router, will I get good speeds?
Most likely. If you don't you can just return it.

Not, because those numbers don't mean anything. They're combining throughput of the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and you can only use one or the other.

>thinks pajeet's ping test relevant
Man, try an adaptive ping or 0.1ms ping flood and see rarely above 5ms. Also if you fire up a download then ping the delay growing much more and that is the buffer delay which is extent on wired wired interfaces too

You need minimum 3 antenna for gigabit wifi (with 802.11ac)

It's about 20 feet apart, through one wall.

>I don't see why you use wireless on a pc you don't move around

For people like me it makes sense. I live in a rural area and am forced to have shitty dsl, and there are only phone jacks in the house to connect it to. One is in my kitchen, and one in my living room, but my desktop is in my bedroom. No decent way to run an ethernet cord to the modem.

>asus-ac5300
>$384.99
kek
For that price you might as well buy a mikrotik router + an ubiquiti ac AP
Or just get a mikrotik with a wifi chipset, I hear they are pretty good from some people here.

I have two of these they work great