scale=ewa_lanczossharp

>sharper preset:
>gist.github.com/igv/8a77e4eb8276753b54bb94c1c50c317e
profile=opengl-hq
opengl-shaders="~~/shaders/adaptive-sharpen.glsl"

>nnedi3 quadrupling luma, than octuple chroma preset:
>github.com/bjin/mpv-prescalers/tree/master
profile=opengl-hq
opengl-shaders="~~/shaders/nnedi3-nns32-win8x4-chroma.hook,~~/shaders/nnedi3-nns32-win8x4-yuv.hook,~~/shaders/nnedi3-nns32-win8x4-yuv.hook"

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/Zehkul/25ea7ae77b30af959be0
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/
github.com/haasn/cms
youtube.com/watch?v=x-V8TeB7IlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fqR2HGkjFCA
mpv.srsfckn.biz/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Any difference between the two windows builds?

are mpv developers Sup Forumsentoomen?

gist.github.com/Zehkul/25ea7ae77b30af959be0
Is there anyway to use this on windows or a similar alternative?

I dont know much about this and I'm stupid and paranoid about video when I can change these things myself
What do these settings do? What is their aim?
They try to achieve maximum fidelity to the original video, right? So, like, if you upscale it on a larger screen, its indistinguishable from watching it nonupscaled on a screen as big as the video, and everything is rendered perfectly faithfully otherwise too, yes?

>They try to achieve maximum fidelity to the original video, right
No. Things like sigmoidized scaling and debanding are deliberately ignoring fidelity for better subjective appearance.

what settings should I useif im autistic and want maximum fidelity like I described?

>MPDN
- GPU Usage: ~71%
- Chroma Upscaling: Bilateral
- Luma Upscaling: Sinc-Blackman 12 Taps
- Debanding: Default Strength / No Grains
- Display Changer: Activated
- ReClock: Activated
- FluidMotion: Activated
- Results: Smoother than with mpv with a little bit sharper picture but fans are very noisy.

>mpv
- GPU Usage: ~92% (100% with some files)
- Chroma Upscaling: spline36
- Luma Upscaling: spline36
- Debanding: yes
- Display Resample: yes
- Interpolation: yes / linear
- Results: Less noisy fans than with MPDN but poor performance, get dropped frames regularly.

Do GPU fans act differently with directx and opengl?

I guess things that go for their personal judgment about what would get a better subjective appearance are probably better for something badly encoded or having somehow lost quality(aside from being just lowres, in which case again, simulating what it'd look like on a screen it didnt need to upscale for with as high fidelity as possible would be better).
But, still, I'd not prefer it for anything good to begin with.
Autism, yes, I know.

Even upscaling doesn't have a real answer to this, because video frames generally aren't really a collection of single point samples of a band-limited image. Talking about what's mathematically ideal doesn't have much relevance to reality.

It's easier to list thing that deliberately ignore fidelity:
sigmoidization (makes lines look fatter)
debanding (adds noise, even with deband-grain=0, blurs subtle details)
interpolation, depending on what you think is the correct interpretation of frames (are they really samples in the sampling theorem sense? In the case of hand drawn animations in anime, certainly not) (blurs motion)
antiringing (blurs some details)
sharpening filters (adds ringing)
NNEDI scaling (just blatantly making shit up)

But then again, is the video file you have really considered the reference video? Eg. commercial video is generally produced by people far less autistic than MPVthreadposters. For us it's personal, but for them it's only a job. Naturally they'll fuck it up. Maybe you should imagine what the original really looked like and tweak the settings to try to replicate that. The fidelity ignoring options can help with that.

EH, I get what you're saying, and I feel fine with it for my cheaply animated, mediocre art animes, but I still get the obsessive pangs of paranoia and 'this cant be right' when I think about using it on actually well drawn, well animated, high video quality downloads.

>download mpv
>get the autoload lua script from the github
>mpv skips from episode 10 to episode 100
>delete mpv

>not numbering your episodes with leading zeros

Do a double blind test in motion (and not on test images) and I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference with:

deband on default
sigmoidization off
interpolation off
none of the meme shaders on

and the exact same setup with deband off.

The most obvious difference is interpolation on and off. If not having to deal with judder means things might get more blurry, so be it. Chroma scaling can cause issues on rare edge cases (not applicable for real life content).

To actually be true to the source you need knowledge that you cannot get. What was the lighting conditions that it was mastered in. What was the gamma curve used. What monitor was it mastered on, and how much deltaE were each of the colors off on even after calibration. Did it suffer from any downsampling loss when it was converted to an intermediary codec not in 4:4:4 like Prores 422. And what about the software. The gamma curve in a few professionally popular production software rounds in certain places.

It's best to simply add subjective enhancements that might ignore fidelity to approximate the source.

>be me
>been using interpolation for months
>suddenly I play my old videos
>literally HEAR audio resample, like on the old audio cassettes

Well, goodbye interpolation

I have a i3-4130 cpu, r9 380 gpu and 4gb ram.

This is my setting that I'm playing with:
vo=opengl-hq:backend=x11:scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=ewa_lanczossharp:temporal-dither:interpolation:blend-s$
video-sync=display-resample
#dscale=mitchell:tscale=oversample:scaler-resizes-only:dither-depth=auto
#swapinterval=1:correct-downscaling:sigmoid-upscaling:pbo:deband
#cache=262144
#hwdec=no
#:icc-profile-auto:approx-gamma
screen=0
autofit-larger=100%
audio-display=no
framedrop=no

The ones commented are those I'm not sure if I should add or if I'd need to set hwdec=0 so they work. What to do for good interpolation? (when I pause, in the terminal I get the following message :"Audio/Video desynchronisation detected! Possible reasons include too slow
hardware, temporary CPU spikes, broken drivers, and broken files. Audio
position will not match to the video (see A-V status field).

AV: 00:04:08 / 00:49:09 (8%) A-V: 0.000
"

Forgot to mention, I'm on Debian sid

>lua script doesn't work the way I want it
>ugh, I hate this media player!
Good. mpv is not for mouthbreathers.

Configure your OS for soft real-time performance. Look into cpusets and process isolation. Audible changes in audio most likely mean you have excessively high jitter, which means some problem with real-time performance.

Post a clip on github or fuck off, fearmongering cunt.

Usually caused by broken files. Try remuxing to MKV.

>ffmpeg with a small change and a modified header.
What are these changes? They're not documented as far as I can see

Why does mpv need display-resample for interpolation where madvr and mpdn don't?

Does anyone know if it's possible to load scripts in SMPlayer?

> This requires setting the --video-sync option to one of the display- modes, or it will be silently disabled. This was not required before mpv 0.14.0.

anyone on the macOS Sierra beta?

if so, could you please try this?

>add this to input.conf
Shift+MOUSE_BTN3 seek 5
Shift+MOUSE_BTN4 seek -5

then, scroll up with the mouse wheel (not with a trackpad or magic mouse, an actual mouse with a mouse wheel) while holding Shift.

does it work fine?man, here it only seeks backward

Does mpv work with mesa?
Does it perform like the official AMD drivers on windows?

Interpolation doesn't work on windows.
Could I expect a better result on linux with mesa?

>Does mpv work with mesa?
>Does it perform like the official AMD drivers on windows?
Yes and slightly better since mesa is the reference implementation for gl on Linux.

does cude hwaccel benefit old nividia gpu too?

>sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/
cd %~dp0
powershell -noexit -executionpolicy bypass -File .\installer\updater.ps1

??

>using sourceforge for anything

Wincucks, everyone.

The Sourceforge .7z with mpv includes an updater script written in Powershell. Those commands, when put into the command prompt, update mpv, though I'm not sure what %~dp0 means.

That's a problem with your filenames. Windows and linux both sort files alphabetically and if your files are not named 001, 010 and 100 they will load in wrong order in every player that doesn't parse filenames for numbers and somehow smartly sorts around them.

>The Sourceforge .7z with mpv includes an updater script written in Powershell. Those commands, when put into the command prompt, update mpv

Nice!
This is exactly why sourceforge builds have BTFO the competition. Best Installer. Best Set-Up, Best Updater.

Only one is

>no longer works on xp

What the fuck did they do?

>What do these settings do? What is their aim?
Depends on the setting. It's too hard to answer this question in general.

I disagree. Sigmoidization significantly decreases ringing with no discernable drawbacks, which brings you much closer to the source. (Unless, of course, you enjoy your credits text being all messed up and think it's somehow “authentic” that way)

Debanding exists to counteract quantization, which is part of the encoding process. I would personally argue that turning debanding on is closer to the source than turning it off, simply beacuse the source got quantized while encoding and debanding more or less reverse that.

Plus, debanding doesn't really have any discernable drawbacks (at the default settings)

GPUs are too complicated to generalize like that. Can't answer your question.

As for your severe mpv performance issue, is this using ANGLE or dxinterop? (Also, can you try the performance on Linux? mpv performs pretty badly on Windows)

The right thing.

>sigmoidization (makes lines look fatter)
Sorry, what?

Top: Source (nearest neighbour)
Middle: Sigmoidization on
Bottom: Sigmoidization off

Well, really you have to define fidelity here. The problem with questions like these is that “fidelity” is not well understood for video.

In contrast, we understand audio fidelity fairly well (THD, frequency response, noise floor, crosstalk, etc. etc.) and there are objective “betters” in every category. You can easily compare, say, two resamplers and easily answer which one of the two performs “better” for any given metric.

Video, on the other hand, is not well understood; most promimently because we don't have good video quality metrics. There's stuff like PSNR, SSIM, etc. floating around but none of them really capture how the eye works very well.

Because of our lack of understanding for how to quantify visual quality, the best we can really do right now is simply be subjective in our metrics.

Debanding on/off is very trivial to notice on banded test clips.

I have some of them in github.com/haasn/cms (look for deband*), although only one of those is motion video. It's pretty easy to find heavily banded test clips on youtube though, e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=x-V8TeB7IlQ or youtube.com/watch?v=fqR2HGkjFCA (the beginning)

You can hear a difference of 0.1%? Holy shit, I think you have superhuman hearing

I have poorer performances with dxinterop so I kept angle. I would like to try ubuntu or manjaro as it seems they are the easiest distro to install but it's a little bit retarded to use linux only for one software that has a similar alternative that works pretty well. Are there any chance to get better performance on windows in the future?

Okay, it seems that I can hear it in the moments, when I open the file, or in the moments of rewind.
In next moments either I accustom to it, either it becames normal.

>mpv performs pretty badly on Windows
ANGLE is actually faster than opengl.

>There's stuff like PSNR, SSIM
There is also new metric VMAF (by netflix)

Eh time to use Sigmoidization.

>I have poorer performances with dxinterop so I kept angle.
Yeah, sounds like your drivers are pretty bad. ANGLE is usually the worse performing of the two (it translates all OpenGL calls to DirectX at runtime, which is pretty suboptimal).

>Are there any chance to get better performance on windows in the future?
Maybe with vulkan, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Microsoft hates open source software with a passion. I expect them to gimp Vulkan-on-Windows like they gimped OpenGL-on-Windows just so people stay trapped inside their walled garden infrastructure.

What mpv version and AO?

If your OpenGL drivers are completely shit, yes. AMD or nvidia?

nvidia
ANGLE is aways faster

>Yeah, sounds like your drivers are pretty bad. ANGLE is usually the worse performing of the two (it translates all OpenGL calls to DirectX at runtime, which is pretty suboptimal).
if you never tried it, don't make shit up.

m8 I've been in these threads since ANGLE began to exist as thing and the universal response has been for people with non-broken drivers to get better performance out of dxinterop compared to ANGLE.

You're free to measure it yourself though, check with T show-text ${vo-peformance} during playback.

Do you mean it's faster than running the "native" opengl on windows or that's it even faster than running opengl on linux?

I have literally benchmarked it an hour ago.
without shaders - same gpu usage
with ANGLE has lower gpu usage

opengl performance on windows = opengl performance on linux for me.

(typo)
*with - ANGLE has lower gpu usage

>What mpv version and AO?
the latest build from here mpv.srsfckn.biz/
And I didn't quite understand, what's AO.

Why is it that MPC-HC with Reclock and madvr smooth motion are much better than mpvs video-sync=display-resample interpolation tscale=oversample?

AO = audio output driver (like pulse, alsa, jack, wasapi etc.)

Might be a windows-specific audio timing bug. You could check with --dump-stats I guess

Try the builds from the link in OP they are much better.

>56546743
Why is it that MPC-HC fags come in here and ask dumb questions? Not even getting a (You) from me.

MadVR doesn't really supports ReClock and the timings are completely wrong, you can't trust them. :\

Is a "nvidia geforce gtx 960 2go" is enough for interpolation with new 4k videos?

>debanding doesn't really have any discernable drawbacks (at the default settings)
Default banding is too strong, blurring details, and has noise enabled, which is also visible and pointless.

Can you show an example of where default debanding degraded the image quality? I somehow don't believe you. The defaults are extremely mild.

The sigmoid center default to 0.75 so it shows up better with dark on light. Here is the no sigmoidization version:

And here is default sigmoidization. I do think it looks better, but the lines have grown fatter. Flip between the images to see.

I still liked bitbucket builds better.
It's in case you want to update it trough the CMD like I personally do

How can I compile mpv with vapoursynth on Wangblows?

RGB PNG input, full scale gradient, one pixel per color. Default scaling, default deband with grain disabled, 8 bit dithering. Nice and smooth. Dithering is not annoying.

Same thing with default deband-grain. Note how it has introduced obvious vertical axis noise that wasn't there originally. It has an ugly blotchy look but it's no smoother than the deband-grain=0 version.

The default dither-grain setting of 48 equates to a difference of +/- 0.7 to the pixel value. 8-bit dithering is a difference of +/-0.5.

If you think dithering is fine but the default deband grain is too strong, you are imagining things.

You are completely missing the point. Look at the spatial frequency of the noise! This is upscaled 3x size. Debanding is done pre-scaling.

These two images have a mean absolute channel distortion of less than 0.001 (1 part in 1000). That's about 2^-10, which exceeds the human visual capacity except in extreme controlled circumstances.

Furthermore, those two images look completely identical to me on my 10-bit calibrated IPS panel even when magnified and squinting.

I see none of what you describe as “lines”, let alone any sort of visual grain. Have you considered that perhaps it's not the image, but your display?

>I see none of what you describe as “lines”
Where did I mention lines? Are you confusing this with the sigmoidization discussion?

And yes, the magnitude of the noise is similar, but the frequency distribution is not. And because the human visual system is less sensitive at high frequencies this makes the quiet version look noticeably better.

Peak absolute error between the two is about 0.7% (PSNR of 50 dB), and happens in these places

Sorry, I misread and thought you were referring to noise that crossed the entire vertical axis (i.e. lines)

If you really can't see it, and if you really think that's normal, that's still arguing for deband-grain=0 to be the default.

Either I'm right and it harms visual quality, or you're right and it adds GPU load for no perceptible difference.

I can't see any difference except that this image is 300% bigger in file size.

Arguing that deband grain is pointless because of one synthetic test pattern is sort of silly. It's supposed to be barely visible by default (that's why the value is so extremely low), the only purpose is to help mask quantization artifacts.

Since your synthetic test ramp was not quantized, don't expect any quality difference. Try it on a heavily banded source file. (Or wait a bit, I'll upload some examples)

>blurring details
I retract this, default strength seems to be conservative enough that blurring isn't a problem. But the default grain is definitely a problem.

What's opengl-pbo ?

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that "obvious" was the important word. There's just as much noise in the horizontal axis, it's just hard to see because of the horizontal gradient.

I'm on Debian 8.5 stable. mpv crashes really often when I want to go full screen
always when I press F

use it if you are on nvidia gpu, and don't use angle.

>Or wait a bit, I'll upload some examples
Bleh, I made some samples but they're too large to really upload; and if I use smaller cut-outs the banding isn't really visible (because stock deband gets rid of so much already), plus the effect is really hard to see in an image to begin with because the grain is dynamic while the banding is not.

Also, I turned down my lights in my room and looked at your samples again. I can definitely see the grain now, but only in the very very dark region (i.e. towards the left strip)

In general, the darker the signal, the more obvious the grain is. Can you confirm this? Maybe I should gamma-adjust the grain to make it constant-luminance instead of constant-signal.

It's probably easier to see the higher your display's contrast is, which might explain why I'm having difficulty seeing it on my IPS panel.

wtf happened to the bitbucket repository?

haasn is one

Yes, I agree. Also when I'm watching videos I frequently increase gamma just to make things brighter, which would make it even more obvious assuming deband is done before gamma correction.

Deband is done on the input, in the file's native color space (i.e. the same one that it was quantized with). The idea is to mask quantization artifacts on a source level, before upscaling smooths it out.

Btw, have you tried using e.g. ewa_lanczossoft instead of the default opengl-hq scaler (spline36)?

I use one of the 3 ewa_lanczos variants (smooth/default/sharp) depending on how aliased the source is.

How do I exit full screen?
srsly I tried everything!

Only thing that worked was ctrl+esc and end process, but then taskbar on top of the windows in kde disappeared

>srsly I tried everything!
clearly you haven't tried pressing the ‘f’ key

why esc wouldn't exit full screen? it makes perfect sense.
Fucking Linux dauns

esc works too for me. You are probably just a daun.

how to start mpv without a libsystemd.so.0 error?

Taken down for being shitty.