/pcbg/ - PC Building General

**Consider 3000MHz DDR4 in your new build**

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, please politely direct them here.

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JHdmD8
newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007610 601190328 600006072 600561669&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36
pcpartpicker.com/product/Fn7CmG/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170hd3
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3L2rxr/gigabyte-motherboard-gah170d3hp
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-AMD-RX-470/3165vs3640
asus.com/Motherboards/H110M-K/specifications/
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NYTPFd
pcpartpicker.com/product/8vxfrH/antec-power-supply-bp550plus
pcpartpicker.com/product/g63RsY/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr
pcpartpicker.com/list/F9JTnn
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353063
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353116
pcpartpicker.com/list/Vx7vjc
youtu.be/45ZLO4kLDJs?t=1m43s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JHdmD8

Am I making any huge mistakes here? RAM and PSU are the cheapest I can find without being shit tier.

Get a 16GB kit, also get 3000MHz ram. It's like $5 more.

For example
newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007610 601190328 600006072 600561669&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

That first one seems good, though I've never heard of GeIL. Should I go with that instead?

pcpartpicker.com/product/Fn7CmG/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170hd3

Is there a reason this mobo is so cheap? Saw it in some other builds and it looks pretty good for only $80. Anything better at that price point?

It has a lifetime waranty, so why not? But I looked into your mobo and it doesn't support XMP AFAIK, so the ram will run at 2133. You can probably get an H170 mobo with XMP support for the same price

The Asus Strix graphics cards have two fan headers so that you can have your case fans controlled by your GPU, which is supposed to keep your PC quiet during idle and cool during load. Anyone got any experience with how well that works in practice or is this just another marketing gimmick?

>having case fans tied to gpu temps and not cpu temps

Hint: there is a reason why gpus have coolers capable of handling 250w+ and cpus are housefires at anything over 150w.

What is the difference in performance between 2133 and 3000MHz?

Following that logic, the only time you'll need to aggressively move hot air out of your case is if you're gaming, provided you don't do any CPU intensive tasks

In FO4, a lot. In other applications, who knows. But if it's an option for an extra five bucks, why wouldn't you?

im trying to plug the audio cable into the JAUD1 slot on the mobo

it slides in a bit but the pins don't fully enter and can slide back out easily

am i supposed to just force it in harder or is it supposed to be this loose?

Its more a case that cpus rarely have enough cooling when they are slammed compared to gpu simply due to the surface area of the die so having your case fans tied to a gpu (which generally is cooled better by the dual and triple fan coolers on modern cards) is madness as it leaves your cpu to fry. Plus GPU fan curves tend to be less aggressive than cpu fan curves (in your bios) primarily because gpus can take more punishment.

Consider both AMD and Nvidia will easily let core temps hit over 80c without giving a fuck, but 80c for most cpus is DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER territory. Plus the potential for the motherboard to frying.

I'm glad you mentioned the mobo thing, because a different version of the one I had picked popped up at a much lower price when it had been more expensive previously.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3L2rxr/gigabyte-motherboard-gah170d3hp

What is the difference between the D3H and the D3HP? It still doesn't look like it supports more than 2133MHz but at that lower price I'm interested.

This is the current rig I have. I'm a poorfag and only have 150$ saved up. Should I opt for a Motherboard/Cpu combo or a Graphics card?

Hoping some one could please, please help me.

I just installed 8 More GB of RAM, a GeForce 1060, and Hyper 212 Evo.

I turned my PC, resolution is 800x480, okay cool. Let me go download drivers. Went to Nvidia.com, PC shut off completely.

Tried again, was successful in downloading new drivers, and then it shit off on me again as I ran the .exe.

Anyone know what's going on? My previous GPU was a GTX580, also Nvidia.

Thank you. Really don't know what's up.

The cpu is still maybe sortas usable, but that gpu is 100% pure undisputed potato. Christ at this point one of AMD's APUs probably outperforms your entire system.

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-AMD-RX-470/3165vs3640

Can anyone tell me why the GTX 960 has a greater market share and is more popular in builds than the RX 470? By these benchmark figures, the 470 is leaps and bounds better with a very slim price difference. Surely this can't just be the Nvidia fan boy effect.

did you uninstall graphics driver before installing the new 1060? If your PC was powering a gtx 580, it can without a doubt handle a 1060.

Maybe check your Hyper 212 EVO cooler. If it's not installed properly, your CPU could being hit TJMax and turning off.

without a doubt graphics card. GT730 is good for nothing more than displaying on multiple panels.

yes it is. Nvidia is seen as "the go to brand" for "gaymers". Just look at their saying. "The way it's meant to be played"

Save your money, wait to purchase in 6months and prices will have dropped for both CPUs and GPUs

Could be a short. Otherwise pull the RAM out. Is all the RAM the same speed?

oh and RAM. What was your old RAM compared to your new stuff? Same timings? Same voltage speed?

pic unrelated. What should i upgrade?

470 is extremely new, 960 has been around for a long time. They're different generations. The AMD card that is equivalent to the 960 is the 380

Not sure about the difference, but if you want that faster RAM, just google your board plus XMP, although it's often specifies in the Memory Specs section

I did not uninstall the previous graphics drivers.

I am right now checking my cooler and it's moving around the top of the CPU. Even more so if I push it with a finger. I did not secure it down all the way. I had to mess around with trying to install it in this cramped case of mine so I could only tighten 2 screws. I can't fit it horizontally. Now I'm going to haveto try...

All same speed,same model # too.

The RAM is the same as before. I just added 8 more GB of the same ram.

Get a 4k screen.

I have a Corsair Commander connected to a water loop so I don't think I'd need it. I feel like that's the most effective way to control your case fans, although this might be a good option for some people.

With the 212 EVO you need to screw the cooler down all the way until the screws are bottomed out. There are spring loaded screws for a reason. Go in opposite pattern. Top left, bottom right, top right, bottom left. Repeat until all 4 screws are bottomed out.

I am reading that you need a Z170 board for XMP support. Oh well.

I've also been seeing that the difference between 2133MHz and 3000MHz for gaming is not that great. Does anyone have experience with the two? If I won't notice much difference I'm not sure if it's spending a whole lot more on a Z170 board.

Consolidate your HDDs

>I am right now checking my cooler and it's moving around the top of the CPU. Even more so if I push it with a finger. I did not secure it down all the way. I had to mess around with trying to install it in this cramped case of mine so I could only tighten 2 screws. I can't fit it horizontally. Now I'm going to haveto try...
Probably overheating

Yeah, I know user
Thing is it got real hard to do as it was cramped. I can't install it horizontally as it'll hit my 4 RAM sticks. And accessing those springy screws is tight
I'll give it another shot.

Might be.

I'm pretty sure most H110 boards support it, H170 as well

Random example asus.com/Motherboards/H110M-K/specifications/
Ctrl+F XMP

depends on if the game is heavily CPU bound. Games like FO4 and CIV5 actually benefit quite a bit from ddr4-3200mhz. Not all Z170 boards can handle RAM that fast. My Asus ROG Ranger REFUSED to post with any RAM beyond 2666mhz.

>Consolidate your HDDs
Waiting on high capacity SSDs to come down in price. If I can get a 1TB SSD for $200, I'm sold.
was considering a large 4K panel as a 2nd monitor for productivity and keeping my 32" 1440p panel for gaming.

dunno why you guys just don't reinstall windows everytime something goes wrong

I have to reinstall a few python and java dependencies every time but you just store everythign externally so its 10 minutes and you have a clean install

>* Due to Intel® chipset limitation, DDR4 2133 MHz and higher memory modules on XMP mode will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR4 2133 Mhz.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NYTPFd

Having trouble deciding on a psu when I finally decided to use this one. Is it good enough?

why are you getting a dedicated ethernet card when your motherboard can do 1Gb/s?

And I don't trust Corsair stuff after their whole CX line fiasco. Has it right. I have a Cooler Master V1000 gold cert and it has been going for almost 5 years no with zero issues.

I'd get something from EVGA (even their 500B line) over anything less than Corsair's AX or HX line.

>why are you getting a dedicated ethernet card when your motherboard can do 1Gb/s?
Port aggregation, connecting to two separate networks without using a switch, controlling another computer with IPMI, etc.
My Workstation has four NICs. U mad?

>Antec Basiq and EVGA Supernova in the same tier
This guy here I own this PSU already pcpartpicker.com/product/8vxfrH/antec-power-supply-bp550plus
but I've got pcpartpicker.com/product/g63RsY/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr as part of my build

Is it a waste of money to get the new one (multiple people have told me 650W is overkill anyway)? What do I need to check for to make sure it's compatible with my mobo?

You could also dedicate a NIC to VMs via a PCIe pass-through so that they don't take precious bandwidth from your host NIC.

will a GTX 1060 3GB be a good investment? Is it going to be compatible with my motherboard?

Guys how bad is it if the Hyper 212 heatsink touches my ram a bit? It's really pushing it a bit, making the first stick almost touch the second one.

It's the only way I can snuggly secure this monstrous heatsink fan

I bought 2 WD HDDs from a vendor on amazon, they shipped and work, but they're both formatted as "mybook" and have the typical additional software on them that makes me thing the vendor ripped them out of externals. Should I worry? Are the warranties no go now?

> Is it going to be compatible with my motherboard?

This day and age motherboard compatability is not an issue for a gpu. You should look more closely to see if your psu can feed your gpu.

Either remove the heatspreader from your ram (hint: ram doesn't get hot enough to need one) or rotate the cooler 90 degrees. As a rule though there is no current going through either the cooler or the heatspreader so beyond the stress of the ram twisting in its socket there should be no issue.

I want some more opinions on this:
Should I buy a GTX 1060 for 1150 huemoneis (~350USD) to upgrade my ancient PC? This is the best price for the 1060 that I've seen here. The AMDs are more expensive here for some reason.
I currently have a HD 6850.

Even if the rest of the PC is old and shitty by now, wouldn't upgrading from a HD 6850 bring a huge performance boost on most games?

You didn't tell us the rest of your system last time and thus we cannot give good advice with incomplete information.

>Rotate the cooler 90 degrees
Had it like that an hour ago but I couldn't screw it down flush enough and the cooler would move around in the case which would make my PC shut off (o posted about it a few posts above)

Thanks user. Hope it doesn't destroy my socket :/

I would rather you pull the heatspreader from your ram than mess with your cpu cooler as its the far safer option.

Where's the heat spreader? And is it easy to remove? Thanks.

Nevermind, googled it. Thanks

you should have your cooler mounted so that it expels air toward the nearest exhaust fan. If that clear one in the picture is an exhaust, orient the fan so the air moving through the heatsink flows toward it

I'm afraid of being trolled.
It's a 3GHz dual core Intel CPU. 4GB RAM.

please respond

Yep, have it set up that way.

Also,turned PC on, currently installing new drivers. I'm not going to use Nvidias Application that manages drivers and scans games though, the GeForce experience. Am I missing out by not installing it?

Also WOW my PC is tremendously quiet. Can't wait to run Speccy and play some games.

>3ghz dual core

Thats not enough information, Intel calls their i3 chips dual core technology because of hyperthreading (i.e they present 4 cores to the OS) but equally you could be running a goddamn celery cpu.

FUCK
RAN SPECCY AND CPU WAS AT 80C

I forgot to plug in the CPU fan. Wow.

Huh. Then if it wasn't plugged in... I wonder why a few hours ago my PC shut off when the fan WAS plugged in? Could it have been that the heatsink was not mounted properly and making solid contact with the CPU?

Should I go with a GPU from Nvidia or AMD for a PC that is primarily going to run Linux?

Most cpus won't boot without detecting a cpu fan connected. I would be worried.

Strange indeed. I booted up just fine. Installed new drivers, too. Thankfully I caught my error before, well, who knows what could've happened.

Also
>undefined GPU
What did Speccy mean by this? And why is it showing just 2GB of memory when the card itself is a 6GB one and Speccy shows this stat too?

IIRC speccy is known to be bugged with pascal gpus. Speccy is full of bugs in general - for example it cannot into AMD fx idle temperatures (it will report sub ambient temps for example).

Ordering PC parts in the next few days.
Will I be alright if I pirate Win10?

Always pirate windows

pcpartpicker.com/list/F9JTnn

Thinking of getting a 1440p panel in the future, but it will be a dual monitor setup regardless.

>digital color sensitive work and some gaming.

Thoughts?

Alright cool.
I have nothing against pirating I just wanted to double check.

Rate my configuration?

Wanted to stay below 1500 for a new PC build. This is what I settled with. Total is about $1400.

Opinions? Critical thoughts?

Also, don't plan on SLI and if I do I can always swap into a better mobo.

>DIYPC DIY-G5-BK Black USB3.0 ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case w/Tempered Glass Panels

>Thermaltake SMART Series SP-650PCBUS 650W ATX 12V 2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

>Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor

>GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-H170-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

>MSI GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GTX 1070 GAMING Z 8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video

>Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Full Version (32 & 64-bit) / USB Flash Drive

>Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

>Crucial MX300 2.5" 525GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT525MX300SSD1

>G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99

For monitors I'm already using and will use these for this new rig, not included in my total.

>ASUS PB258Q Black 25" 5ms WQHD Frameless HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor AH-IPS 350 cd/m2, 2560 x 1440

>LG 25UM56-P 25” Class 21:9 UltraWide IPS Gaming Monitor 5ms 2560 x 1080

Ok. I know I'm missing a graphics card here (besides the weak integrated one) but besides that, any suggestions/comments on this build?

Was basically trying to set up a decent build that can be upgraded (i5/i7 and graphics card) while not braking the bank.

*this build

not really getting any hits with my thread so ill move it here:
Kind of been behind processor development for a while now, and I have been looking for a proccessor for a build soon. I saw a comic here once where an amd sales guy was pointing to a graph with a jester hat on, just saying MOAR COARS for their business strategy. Which i guess im kind of getting now with amd proccessors being 6core 8core etc....and i7 dc still behind the 'core curve'. My question is why is amd have such a drive for more cores, is it helpful, and why is it about ~$100 or so less than the intel brand?

I would consider a better mobo, what you have now will restrict from using k series cpu, if you had that in Mind, and faster ram

reminder to buy 3000 mhz ram guys! It's extremely important

>game released in 2008

>ddr3

Hey all, which reviewers/benchmarks are trustworthy?

pic unrelated

I really like this case mates, think it's worth it? I definitely want a cube but still looking at the various options

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353063

I'm getting an n200

I heard spraying your dust filters with oily shit makes the trap dust better
Trufact?

>micro-ATX

idk mate, immediately limits your board options

I picked up this, myself.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353116

>not getting 66.6 fps

>1 fps boost at max
>within the margin of error

go smaller, get a core v1 and mitx mobo. mine is grate

turn the cooler the other way. You do realize that the Hyper 212 EVO can be mounted the other way right?
1060 3GB would be fine. Mobo compatibility hasn't been a problem for some time now.

Should I be looking for B150 or H170 motherboards?

I have a question about memory frequency, for example; the Intel Core i3-6320 says that it supports 1866 or 2133 mhz memory, does this mean that if I were to pick a higher frequency stick; that it would run at a lower speed?

Would I also have to pair the memory with a motherboard that specifically supports its speed?

I would return them. Those external drives use WD blues (the worst drives possible). Next time get hgst deskstar or WD red's/purple.

yes, no (although you'd be wasting money)

Thanks!

PCPartPicker.com/list/6VVDZ8
trying to stay under $800 base price and shipping
Did I do it rite

Anons pls help this is annoying as shit
Computer freezes randomly
Facts BEFORE freezing:
- Everything works as intended
- Ran Prime95 CPU stresst for 24 hours: no problem
- Ran mprime (Linux CPU stress, like Prime95) for 24 hours: no problem
- Unigine Heaven GPU stress for 24 hours: no problem
- High FPS, no lag on games etc
- Ran Memtest86 for 24 hours: no problems
- Ran both mprime and Unigine Heaven for 24 hours: no problem
- Left computer 24 idle doing nothing: no problem

Facts AFTER freezing:
- Mouse is not responding
- Keyboard is not responding
- WEIRDEST FACT: Some windows on display keep refreshing their view, e.g. Task Manager keeps updating the graphs with RAM and CPU usage (RAM usage less then 35%, CPU less than 20%)
- Temperatures always below 60C on any component
- Games get stuck on the current 3D scene, e.g. if you preview a 3D model and the camera spins around it, after freezing the camera will keep spinning around it
- Any download/upload progress just halts: doesn't progress and doesn't say "canceled" or "paused", just doesn't do anything
- No weird or repeating sounds, infact, the sounds continue playing normally, e.g. if I left a song playing in the background, it will continue to play but after it ends it will not go to another song, game background music continues playing
- Pressing the reset button on the case does nothing at first, but on Windows, after 10-20 seconds, it bluescreens; on Linux, after 10-20 seconds the computer restarts
- Power button doesn't do anything

UNIVERSAL Facts:
- I bought RAM that is especially in the list of recommended RAM for my motherboard
- I have no antivirus
- I have no firewall
- Freezes are absolutely random

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DGS
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston ValueRAM 2133MHz DDR4
PSU: Corsair CX430

Freezes both Windows and Linux, on any kind of hard drive and SSD.

>Turn the cooler the other way. You do realize that the Hyper 212 EVO can be mounted the other way right?

Yes, and that was my desired orientation. However, doing it the other way prevents me from snug and flush mounting.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Vx7vjc
It's mostly for 1080p gaming.

None. Its a maymay. At the most you may see 5% increase.

I think that might be a GPU problem
have you tried taking it out?

also you know you can run a computer without ram too, right?

you need to test those two things

an enormous difference well worth 40 bucks

youtu.be/45ZLO4kLDJs?t=1m43s

Can anyone tell me if a 13+ inch GPU would fit into an NZXT h440?

how? Is your screw driver not long enough? Get a long screw driver. The Cooler can be turned a little side to side even when fully tightened down so you can access the screws.

I support this question. I'm surprised that the larger Noctua CPU coolers fit in there with a few millimeters from the window.

nigga what? No you can't. You can run the PC with 1 stick of RAM sure. You NEED a stick of ram to get up and running though.