Linux users are retarded and actually believe propaganda

Daily reminder that the stupid "durr linux doesn't require defragging" meme has to die!

man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/e4defrag.8.html

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/philipl/pifs
sfconservancy.org/blog/2016/feb/25/zfs-and-linux/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>run on e4defrag -c on a 3 year old filesystem that has never been (manually) defragmented before
>fragmentation score: 0
poor wincucks

>anecdotal evidence

Just checked my primary partition, never been defragged and I commonly fill it up to almost max capacity.

$sudo e4defrag -c /dev/sda2
Total/best extents 372114/365589
Average size per extent 442 KB
Fragmentation score 0

Do you even know what that tool is for? You'd want ext4 to defrag if you move around terabytes of information every week. And even so, you'd need to have it working years before defragging. Fragmentation doesn't effect everyday drives.

Also, no computer scientist or engineer would design a filesystem without defragmentation in mind. So basically, you have a tool for defragging pretty much any filesystem, even on SSDs this is true.

Actually, pifs is by definition non-fragmenting, because your information is stored on contiguous pi digits.

github.com/philipl/pifs

>this misinformed
NTFS has a million features which is great, but it's slow as FUCK, has issues like rampant fragmentation etc.
the ext family is simply smart enough so your shit won't fragment unless you put a very heavy strain on the filesystem (>move terabytes of information per weak). Even then it copes far better than NTFS.

NTFS is light years ahead of ext4.

ext4 literally still uses linked lists instead of B-trees. It still has no support for deduplication and only very rudimentary cluster support. How can this be even remotely considered an enterprise-grade filesystem?

Not to mention Windows sports Storage Spaces. You literally can't do professional storage without Windows Server.

Thanks for that great insight Satya Nadella.

>You literally can't do professional storage without Windows Server.
Now you're just shitposting, the majority of storage arrays use linux and are used by linux. This is easily verfiable, Windows is a nonfactor for Supercomputing, Webservers, etc.
What OS do you think netflix amazon etc. are using?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I love how you just NOW figured out that all OS fragment

but not all OSs require defragmentation pajeet

>ext4 literally still uses linked lists instead of B-trees. It still has no support for deduplication and only very rudimentary cluster support.
Barely useful for desktop systems, NTFS only started supporting deduplication with Windows Server 2012, and even then it's still considered experimental today
>How can this be even remotely considered an enterprise-grade filesystem?
It's not, you want ZFS/BTRFS for that, ZFS has been around for more than a decade now and production ready since 2005 iirc
ext has always been designed for the desktop, pretty much it's sole purpose it's speed with literally zero enterprise features in mind

>haha I posted it again!

bump

No shit that EXT still fragments in certain circumstances. The difference is with NTFS it'll split that 20GB file into multiple chunks even if there's a contiguous 20GB space to put it, while EXT will at least look for a big enough chunk before splitting it up, meaning it takes significantly longer for fragmentation to become an issue, or in some cases where you never use the full size of your disk, it might legitimately never need to be defragmented since all files will be contiguous.

This is a year on the same install.

[user@localhost ~]$ sudo e4defrag -c /dev/sda3
[sudo] password for user:
now/best size/ext
1. /var/log/wtmp 18/1 4 KB
2. /var/log/hawkey.log 32/1 4 KB
3. /var/log/hawkey.log-20160817 11/1 4 KB
4. /var/log/hawkey.log-20160821 7/1 4 KB
5. /var/log/hawkey.log-20160807 13/1 4 KB

Total/best extents 132440/131314
Average size per extent 49 KB
Fragmentation score 1

They don't use ext* though. They use ZFS I believe.

>haha I posted it again!

Not all of them. Probably few of them.

>Windows is a nonfactor for Supercomputing
Supercomputing has nothing to do with storage, it's about number crunching, but anyway, reminder that Windows Azure was in the TOP500 a couple years ago.

>Webservers
About a third of the Internet's http servers are running Windows.

>you want ZFS for that
>Linux has no legal support for ZFS

Most of them do, ext4 isn't used in enterprise
It's either ZFS or BTRFS, along with XFS on some legacy systems
Ubuntu is shipping right now with OpenZFS

>anecdotal evidence
I have an interesting piece of anecdotal evidence about this board, how many times have you see someone in this board saying that windows "just works"?

The FSF itself admits the CDDL and the GPL are incompatible. It's just a matter of time until lawsuits are filed against Canonical.

Sauce: sfconservancy.org/blog/2016/feb/25/zfs-and-linux/

How many times have you seen someone having installation problems with GUN_Linux?

Depends on the problem, most of the problems i have seen is about fear to part the drive but in that cases i generally have helped and teach them the basics. Another piece of anecdotal evidence: The people i have recommended linux to (of course i verify that all the hardware is compatible and that they can run the software they need) has practically never had any problem with it compared to windows.

This shit happens all the time on both my amd PCs.

Anecdotals are literally worth nothing

If you worry that much about people aving different opinion why then don't you read the measures filesystems like ext4 has to avoid fragmentation instead of crossing your fingers expecting for everyone to agree with your strawman?
It's an strawman because people is not saying that linux filesystems doesn't fragment but that the filesystem is much more intelligent than for example NTFS at allocating files making practically unnecessary for the user to defrag their drives.

Why the fuck aren't you using an SSD?

>reminder that Windows Azure was in the TOP500 a couple years ago.
woah, they placed a system in the list!
They even used to have a handful in there,
I don't remember them beating 2% marketshare though!
>About a third of the Internet's http servers are running Windows.
sure, if you count tiny irrelevant sites
pic related
and there's good reasons for this:
Docker, LVS, HAProxy and Varnish are common software, and none of those support windows
There are certainly people who would add windows support, but it simply does not make sense, because the windows kernel is _crap_ and in the case of docker, cannot support it at all.
details as to why the windows kernel is crap:
Docker: no cgroups
LVS, HaProxy, Varnish: no epoll/kqueue equivalent, general kernel overhead.

but really, nobody would take a company seriously that thinks a tablet UI is appropriate for servers, right?

maybe you don't have fragmented files because you use your operating system as a facebook machine, as most linux users do because that's all it can do.

IT'S OVER MICROSOFT IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT

NTFS isn't slow. It's Windows dumb fucking features to index files and calculate the amount of stuff to do when deleting or copying files recursively that make file operations on Windows mind-bogglingly slow.

Excellent meme my dude

NTFS IS slow
a lot of GNU coreutils like find etc. have native support for windows.
list filenames for 20k files or whatever and compare
on linux it takes

>Linux users are retarded and actually believe propaganda
are you ashamed of yourself now, OP?

>It still has no support for deduplication
NTFS doesn't "support" deduplication.
All Windows actually does when you enable deduplication is to put duplicated data into files stored in the System Volume Information folder.

Well no shit fragmentation happens.
But a lot of us have SSDs now, so it doesn't really matter all that much does it?
You're not supposed to defragment an SSD; it does nothing but add wear to the drive.

>SSD
>fragmentation
>my SSD is defective they are only a meme buhuuu

netflix uses freebsd

your mom uses freebdsm

Have you ever heard of General Tso's chicken, because we have General Tso's on our side and he makes great filesystems too. You don't need to fragment ext4. The proof is in his chicken.

>even on SSDs this is true.
your retardedness shows

>ZFS can not be defragmented

ENTERPRISE QUALITY

>type "uname -o" into terminal

Oh shit.

>SOMETHING HAPPENED
>something happened

XFS would be the default choice for a Linux enterprise NAS. Ext4 is also fine for smaller filesystems and is the default used on QNAP/Synology boxes.

BTRFS is coming along slowly, it's native RAID5/6 support is still crap, but it can still be used on top of MDRAID

>BTRFS

BTFOFS when?

stfu... im not saying that like a catty girl who is surprised... Im saying it like i want you to cease speaking ever again... stfu

>He thinks RAID and filesystems are still relevant for enterprise computing
Laughing cloud storage sysadmins