30k for a self driving car, before deductibles

>30k for a self driving car, before deductibles

>meanwhile a civic cost like 25k otd

How will other manufacturers compete?

This thing is only 30k?

When they run out of good reasons they'll just start calling anyone who doesn't use gasoline a communist freedom hater and pay congressmen to agree.

The base model will

>you get to be the test dummy for a low, low price of 35k starting

Damn. Now all I need is for charging stations to be everywhere so I don't have to drive to Whole Foods everyday to charge my car.

The self-driving version is est. at $65-70k.

>being this against tesla
I sincerely dont get it. Its an electric car, using the latest tech in self driving. The car runs linux. You can use the API for the car, have it do whatever you want.

Heck, it even runs LINUX!

Whats the problem?

The selft-drivinv software will probably be an extra.

>The car runs linux.
No thank you.

Tesla is a shit meme and anybody who buys one is a gay terrorist. Go get a high powered sports car.
t. process engineer with Chevron

>Heck, it even runs LINUX!
here is your problem, it will crash all the time

The extra features are dlcs. Just torrent them later.

>install gentoo on your car to pick up your drycleaning

6/10
You made me laugh pretty hard

>no top end
>beaten by a focus around the Nürburgring
>almost weighs 2 tons
>completely electric, no feedback for the driver
>no clutch
I'll stick to my ICE

Because they'll ask 5k for a software "upgrade" which'll make your car drive for longer. Because having a huge as fuck battery in a fast driving vehicle isn't dangerous at all, a few days ago a guy had a accident with one of these things and a special division of trained firemen had to get the corpse out of the metal mass that was under electric current. Because having a self driving car is completely useless as public transport exist.

Because Tesla are fucking cunts.

But it's open source. You can write your own updates.

>Because having a huge as fuck battery in a fast driving vehicle isn't dangerous at all, a few days ago a guy had a accident with one of these things and a special division of trained firemen had to get the corpse out of the metal mass that was under electric current. Because having a self driving car is completely useless as public transport exist.

source? I'd like to see that article

My country's almost entirely coal-powered so i figure it's pretty meaningless to get an electric car.

All cars have huge ass batteries in them

Considering how the model s is it's going to be Korean GM tier. Wait a few years when real manufacturers make something with lighter batteries.
Mazda use Linux and it isn't completely lock down.

How long until people start forking Tesla OS and you have one distro per car in existence?

>Mazda use Linux and it isn't completely lock down.
Point was Sup Forums is in love with linux, and yet is contrarian to Tesla. Why?

In Brazil that would cost 300k (Dollar-converted)

Cars made by Tesla and most modern cars like gms and OnStar are Richard Stallman worse nightmare.

Yeah, these things are extra dangerous for everyone involved if you get into a crash. Especially because there's no standard for placement and identification of medium/high voltage wires between car brands. I'm willing to bet a few people get killed from accidentally cutting through the wrong cable while trying to get someone out.

>meanwhile a civic cost like 25k otd
Nope

>The car runs linux
No, it doesn't. Only the infotainment system does.

>a special division of trained firemen had to get the corpse out of the metal mass that was under electric current
Actually the regular firemen called up a local Tesla salesman to check if it was safe to cut up, and he told them to go ahead.

If you're gonna shitpost, do it correctly please.

They do not and they are only 12VDC, not the 400VDC these electric cars use. They can genuinely be dangerous in a crash if the right precautions aren't taken.

Meanwhile a used Toyota or Civic will cost you 5k and get you from point A to point B just as well.

>buying 5k used cars
>buying 5k used economy cars
Asking for trouble, people don't take care of their vehicles.

Thought I was on /o/

Then buy a 3k town car even with the v8 and fixing the air you get something cheaper than a new civic

And then you're buying an even more poorly maintained fleet vehicle.

I got my used car for $500
No problems yet

I would bet money there are issues you would find if you looked.

It does not exist yet and it''s not going to cost 30k

Buy a Nissan Leaf if you actually want an electric car and not a meme-car.

Oh, I know the "issues" it has.
It was a work truck. Broken passengers side door handle, needed an oil change, a new set of tires, basic shit that all work trucks need.
A/C worked with no issues, truck runs fine, drove to Orlando and back like 7 times in a single month for me.
If I had one complaint, it's that the body panels are needing to be repainted. Oh, and the tail gate has a fuckhuge dent
But for $500, title in hand? Fuck yeah it was worth it

You'd find more if you actually tore into it, but whatever you feel good about.

Buying used cars is generally a crapshoot and I prefer to not do it unless they are not more than a few years old and barely driven.

My main beef is with the giant touchscreen of a control center. I can currently feel for my a/c, radio, etc without taking my eyes off the road.

Self-driving cars are illegal in my country and next year in all EU.
Try again, Tesla.

Lol EU BTFO

>implying German car makers would allow Musk to make profit in EU or surrounding countries

Nigga it's got Siri that can do all that shit.

Remind me, is it self driving or driver assist?

It's autopilot.

Since when is autopilot "Self driving"?
It's lane assist.

No, it's autopilot. All actions are performed by the vehicle. You're there to make sure it stays on course. Autopilot.

until it swerves under a semi :^)

As opposed to modem cars that aren't dangerous in a crash?

>it's running Ubuntu instead of QNX
dropped

>>meanwhile a civic cost like 25k otd
thats the Si, not like the other civics stupid ass

hi h/o/

Thermal runaway is actually a really big problem with batteries. The extreme sensitivity to heat makes them especially delicate

Unlike an ICE car, you won't be able to tell electricity is 'leaking'. Don't think I'm against electric cars, but it is a legitimate concern and comparing the 12VDC lines in a vehicle to a 400VDC line to the motor controller is retarded.

Why would you need QNX to play the radio?

Are electric cars worth the cost you save in gas?

Not usually, you have to keep them for a stupidly long time just to start to see the benefits over gas

Remember you aren't saving gas so much as you're trying to save money. Electricity per mile is cheaper than gas however thats still a huge cost and the difference takes forever to build up

For the automated driving software

They can't go that high because then the 3 will cannibalize sales of the S. "Why would I buy a base model S when I can buy a fully loaded 3?"

Though I suppose it is possible that they'll simply discontinue the S and the X except for the highest price P100D models so they can focus production on the 3 and the 3 based Y.

What if you always use the charging stations
Do you need to pay for those like filling up gasoline

Civic doesn't need a $13k battery pack replaced after a few years.

I don't think so, yea you could stay and try to only use those but still are you going to get a new electic vehicle, keep it for some 75k miles just to start to see the cost savings?

That is definitely not using Ubuntu.

I was hoping so

Neither does the Tesla :^)

Why replace a vehicle before then? That's not even that much for a vehicle lifespan
If it ain't broke don't fix it (or replace in this case)

You are carting around a big lump of what is effectively solid energy with a low internal resistance. The energy can be released very quickly with a great deal of heat and light.
I've never understood the economics if Hybrid cars, either. Carrying all those kilos of batteries, burning gas to charge them (or worse, charging them from fossil-fuel power stations) and risking a fire in the mean-time.

Full hybrid vehicles capitalized on the far superior efficiency of the electric motor compared to the ICE. Once lithium batteries became common use they were an even better package.

Hybrid systems make a lot of sense now, even for cars where every kilogram matters like supercars.

For daily drivers if a plug in hybrid has somewhere around 40 miles of range on a charge in pure electric mode it may only have to use the engine rarely on the occasional longer trip.

Plus hopefully in the not too distant future we'll have more locations like where I live where there's an abundance of power from non-traditional sources (wind and nuclear).

The problem is Lithium batteries being run away reaction hazards. If they absorb too much heat, they'll react/oxidize heavily with the acid and salt as the catalyst. Once the reaction is fueled by heat alone its already too late and it'll keep building heat faster than it can dissipate. This will continue until all of the lithium is used and your car is a gigantic fire

>tfw have to build the entire kernel if I want to buy something at a store that also uses linux as its POS system

>t. ford executive

But then musk wouldn't be able to say he sells S3X

>communist
>freedom hater
but communism is the greatest freedom we can achieve user

driving is one of life's many pleasure. this is a threat to any car enthusiast.

In 20 years you will be made fun of, and only the poorest of people will be driving themselves.

>look user, that old guy is too poor to afford a self driving car! huehuehuehue how embarassing!

In 20 years the only ones driving will be the ones with cars more than 20 years old.
Read: Fucking no-one

Honestly though, what are we working towards? What will humans even have to do in the future?

>i buy everything new so your used car must be shit
Maybe you're just too retarded to look at a car before you buy it? Bring a mechanic with you? Maybe you don't have the money for a mechanic since you spent it all on your car.

Unless the seller is going to let you entirely disassemble the vehicle before you buy it (they will not), then you won't truly know the condition of the vehicle. No, I don't need a mechanic to look over a car.

>Honestly though, what are we working towards? What will humans even have to do in the future?

We'll have to dream.

A large chunk of the population rents in the US, and does not have the proper charging options available to make any electric car a viable option.

Until there is better charging infrastructure, or extremely high speed chargers (DC or CHADEMO are still slow as shit) the electric car stands no chance.

This is all coming from an EV driver.

>he needs to disassemble a car to know it's condition

>he has x-ray vision

Still probably much safer than Tesla vehicles that are like a bottle waiting to burst...

at some point for everything you want to make go fast you're going to have a large volatile energy store. saying batteries are dangerous is stupid. so is exploding oil, but it's an acceptable risk because we have methods to mitigate the dangers.

>Still probably much safer than Tesla vehicles that are like a bottle waiting to burst...

That is any car with a tank of gasoline. You are safer in a battery-powered car.

Every manufacturer is scrambling right now to compete with Tesla, it was leaked some days ago that Mercedes has 9 models in development to compete with them.

The Model 3 demand opened a lot of eyes and the old guys don't want to be left behind, in 5 years tops most of the manufacturers will have at least 3 fully electric models on the market, if not, they will get fucking cannibalized by Tesla as soon as the factory reaches %100 production.

Newer Teslas and other EVs are more likely to spontaneously combust than ICE vehicles... Tesla engineers don't know shit about battery safety with that big of battery. ICE safety has been worked on in vehicles for almost 100 years. Come back with your electric car once 100 years of testing and improvement have been done.

>Because they'll ask 5k for a software "upgrade" which'll make your car drive for longer.
Don't be a retard, its cheaper for them to install the biggest batteries in every car and just charge for unlocking it instead of changing the battery pack every time someone wants to upgrade.

So that's why cars as late as 20 years ago had mandatory recall, class action lawsuit level defects in their fueling systems?

>25k
>civic
Please pick one and only one. If you are buying top trim civics you should probably consider uninstalling life.

Can you provide a source to any of your retarded claims?

this seems like a retarded complaint. in 100 years you're going to say that ICEs have been around for 200 years, "twice as long as EVs!", and therefore we should go with the more tried and tested technology.

we've been developing EVs for decades and we have a pretty good handle on it. there are circumstances where it combusts, but calling it spontaneous makes you sound like one of those retards who believed in spontaneous generation just because they saw frogs come out of muddy soil with no apparent origin.

That means that you will have to wait 80 years before Tesla's terrorist cars stop exploding even though they are new vehicles. Have fun Ahmed.

Kek

No.