Why dont linux distros just werk?

> install ubuntu
> wifi doesnt connect after waking laptop
> install xubuntu
>screentearing
>mouse dissapears after waking
> Wifi doesnt connect after waking

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>dumb frogposter

>install windows
>no drivers for ethernet
>"please download the drivers from internet"

>ubuntu doesn't work on my laptop
lol@u

Install Gentoo

Come on!

i really want to use linux becuase windows sucks even more, i just hate all of these issues, who the fuck thinks its a good idea to realease no os with so much screen tearing outa the box

devs basically create distros for themselves, not for consumers, there's little monetary incentive to make it a full product suitable for the average laptop owner.

>inb4 sperg gets buttfrustrated about the word consumer

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Install Windows
>Can't connect to WiFI
>"We are checking internet for solutions"
0/10 Pajeet tier

>install manjaro
>can't even set chrome to default browser
>ds4drv makes my mouse move by itself for some reason

>set steam library to my nfts drive
>keeps resetting after every boot

>unmount my second hard drive
>delete, format as ext4
>mount again to same path
>unable to mount drive, error
>reboot
>pc is now in emergency mode because i need to edit some fstab shit

>finally fix it and try to set the steam library again
>error, filesystem set to read only
>unistall manjaro

just stay on windows man

Because, as much as the deluded kg freetards would have you believe otherwise, proprietary software had its benefits too

Install Gentoo my man

windows is even worse, it's why ive been using linux for a while now, its just that all these issues really piss me the fuck off

Manjaro

>install ubuntu
>wifi doesn't work
god I miss 2008

>mouse dissapears after waking

This hasn't happened to me in a while, so I'd say it's been fixed. I

haven't experienced either of the other issues.

wifi doesn't need to just work
screentearing does not matter
your mouse does not matter

none of these things are problematic enough for the devs to waste time on fixing for you when if for some reason they need to work you can fix them yourself

>install Arch which is notorious for breaking
>no issues after an hour or so of configuration

>Install Void which is obscure as fuck and has even less shit included than arch
>no issues after even less configuration

I think you guys might not be cut out for using computers

Try Mint

Windows is great, stop listening to the irrational morons of Sup Forums.

This is what Linux users actually believe

and you wonder why you have 1% market share

Make script that connects to waifu when you wake up

>install ubuntu
>wifi doesnt connect after waking laptop

My desktop does this. I have to unplug/plugin the usb wifi every time. Pretty annoying.

Antergos just werks

He said "Linux distros" and not Linux itself.

sounds like your problem fuck you

>Xubuntu mouse dissapears after waking
This has been a known bug for a while but I believe a patch fixed it very recently. Did you apt-get upgrade after install?

>Anecdotal experiences

And I am perfectly ok with it. Pandering to normalfags will kill linux.

Can confirm, happened to me too, had to download drivers to my phone and use USB 2 to transfer them because USB 3 wasn't supported.

Linux? just werked

Oh, and i also had a issue with WiFi. The connection sucked at my house (got it fixed) and windows would only connect to the network if i sacrificed 5 goats on top of my computer while mashing the connect button.

Linux? just werked

I managed to get everything working except power management, audio and WiFi.

WiFi required "patching the kernel", which I have no fucking idea how to do, sorry Sup Forums

Audio driver just doesn't exist

Because of proprietary driver support, not releasing those drivers on GNU/Linux

>I believe a patch fixed it very recently
Yep. It's fix'd. The only issue with Xubuntu is the thunar crashes.

got all those issues, they're ubuntu related. try something else that doesn't have *ubuntu as a name. I tried mint, ubuntu, lubuntu, elementary, deepin. mint has the wifi problem too, lubuntu has all the problems of ubuntu, elementary is ugly af and made for children, deepin is the best but by then the degout was so real I just popped the win7 disk back in. format drive, and happiness has returned to my life. also: I can use foobar again. fucking yay.

I should add though that I had 2 full days of driver installs and windows updates to go through. that wasn't the case with gnu/linux distros. for some reason windows is unable to update everything at once and there are things that have dependent updates that have to be previously installed.

If you don't value your time, Loonix is the greatest way to piss away your life on shit that doesn't matter since Runescape.

>I'm too stupid to operate my computer
>I blame linux

Typical windows user.

>following unnecessarily convoluted nigger-rigged CLI/terminal steps from some distro forum/stackexchange to shit a user should never have to deal with gives me a sense of superiority
Dunning-Kruger

Had the same problem. I just used Ubuntu as a usb boot drive then download drivers from that.

>should never have to deal with
Aren't we entitled.

>wants to use chrome
>can't even use Manjaro
Obviously a tech illiterate. Just use OS X.

>Muh gayming.
>Value of time.

Anything valuable you could possibly do with your time is easier to do on Windows. If you aren't running a supercomputer farm or crunching nucleotide batches, there is no real reason for a home user to choose Linux.

>because it's too difficult for me, it's too difficult for everybody

Not everybody is a retard like you m8.

Dunning-Kruger

>I'm giving advice but I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

A lot of people run windows in linux. Lot of possible advantages in doing this. I've ended up using quite a few linux applications and use windows for a few applications.

Doesn't apply here m8, nobody is claiming to be smart, we're just recognizing stupidity.

deepin just werks

i use arch and you are retarded