/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on /fglt/: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/android#Android_development
wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets/intuos-draw
youtube.com/watch?v=XellYzrIR-w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Help me set this anons, it wont work

How do i get adobe flash player to work on Opera Linux?

What is a good Tiling/Dynamic WM that's easy for a first timer to learn?

user with the non-posting system from the last thread. Lesson learned, as always, the answer is reseat the RAM.

i3

There is no reason to use flash anymore

Why would you need flash?

Anyways, the NPAPI plugin for flash is at version 11, get chrome if you must use flash on GNU/Linux.

awesome-wm. Usable out of the box with no tweaking while still having Nice Things such as a menu (which can integrate with Debian's menu on Debuntu systems).

can't watch html 5 youtube vids and can't watch embedded mp4's - i was told using flash would fix it.

I don't actually get it but I think this will help
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/android#Android_development

What version of opera are you using? goddamn.

The latest x64 one lol

Help.
So i have linux mint system with i3 installed but I can't get my second monitor to work, even using cinnamon.
My main monitor is running off hdmi from my r9 290x and my second monitor is running on hdmi from my motherboard, presumably using the i7 6700k iGPU.

it is detecting the 2nd display, but all it shows is a small green circle. very odd.

Anybody know how i can get this to work?

You youtube-dl to watch youtube with mplayer/vlc.

You have to plug both HDMI cords into the r9 290x

I usually just launch firefox instead - but it is buggin me and i was hoping threre was a way around .

290x only has one hdmi port, just werks on windows (sad to say, as windows is a shitfest, so at this point i desperately want to leave)

Unbound is configured for dnssec, dnscrypt and dns cache,(i think, all the headers show it is), then have polipo configured via each program proxy settings. It this the correct flow/order for a proper setup?

Would you like to share what you did? I mean like from complete newfags' POV?

I configured dnscrypt to connect to one of the given proxies from the master list
I have dnscrypt-proxy forwarded to unbound, which is running on port 53.
unbound has generated its master keylist and supports dnssec with these auth keys present
polipo is setup to cache websites,via a proxy(8123) which i have set in every application i want to use it on(chromium, firefox)

Can anyone give a valid non-meme reason to use anything but Ubuntu?

your peers will look down on you

That's a meme...

So I just downloaded Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 64-bit, oddly enough sudo package was not downloaded with the install.

When I try to apt-get install sudo I get the following message in my terminal.

"Media change: please insert the disc labeled
'Debian GNU/Linux 8.5.0 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20160604-15:35'
in the drive '/media/cdrom/' and press enter"

Seeing as I used a bootable USB to install I don't know what I should do here.
Help pleaase?

Beginner-friendly distro for replacing Windows?

Ubuntu

Unless libre matters to you, then no. If it does, Trisquel is libre Ubuntu.

Is it secure from spying?

any of you anons have an acer aspire e 15 and when got to install or try ubuntu got a black screen and nothing happens?

OpenBSD

Edit your repositories and remove the install media. It's trying to pull from the disk (set as one of the repositories) but since it's not there Debian can't find it. Afterwards su, then apt-get update, apt-get install sudo and you should be all set after you edit the sudoers file.

did you burn the .iso to a CD/DVD?

Thanks! I stepped out for a moment so when I get home I'll give this a try.

Haven't been on Sup Forums in years till a few days ago and I really like this thread. Actually get useful help instead of shit.

Install gentoo

No prob

Here, forgot pic. The two at the top are the ones you need to uncheck/delete

is a businessman not wearing a $3 plastic watch to a board meeting a meme too?

do i really need to buy an adapter for this shit ;-;
don't get me wrong I hate windows, but im not gona spend money to leave.

Poor analogy given that top level execs at Google are using Ubuntu right now.

are your peers top level google execs?

If my peers are Sup Forums I assume they're mostly nEETs.

then you have your answer

What did he meant by this Sup Forums?

He meant nobody cares.

Oh.

Nice faggots, real nice.

I want to install linux (elementary OS/ubuntu) to a usb 3.0 flash drive. I did get it working, but when I booted up windows with the flash drive plugged in, it messed up the EFI boot folder.

I don't understand this aspect very much, so, what is something I can do to prevent windows from damaging my linux drive? Also, what do I set manually in the partition install screen so I can allocate half of the drive to something I can share between windows and linux?

Why not just install whichever distro you want and use grub to choose which OS to boot instead?

I don't want a menu beforehand, I just want to choose from the bios

Why? That's strange

pls help.

that's just my preference

I'm a newish linux user (about half a year) in dire need of a good backup solution. I lost my entire system (nothing that can't be replaced, but still) to a partitioning error and essentially had to rebuild my workstation from scratch and I want to avoid doing it again. Currently have my 500gb system drive partitioned into 2 equal parts, and just essentially want to make a "restore point" for my current system that a can use in case i ever bork something in the future.

What are some of my options?

In case it matters, pic related.
(running slackware64 14.2 on a thinkpad t540p)

youtube.com/html5
Show a screenshot of that
A solution would be to use firefox.

dwm imo, it has a great tutorial/manual.
rsync is the go-to backup tool for pretty much everyone on gnu/linux

Tails
Qubes
hardened debian or gentoo
You are not safe from targeted spying, only from some parts of mass spying.
What other ports do your gpu and your monitor have? any cables laying around? maybe someone has a good idea.
which monitor is it?

sabyon?

Mass spying is the only kind the vast majority of people have reason to worry about being safe from. Not using spyware as your OS Is already a pretty good step for that.

thanks

hopefully this does the trick

rsync -aAXv --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/backup/*","/lost+found"} / /backup

Right, but that kind of subterfuge often causes you to run into issues, which is why I asked you're doing it.

Run live distro(s) only, one per USB stick/CD/DVD or legitimately install Linux to hard disk, using grub as a boot loader to choose between them. That would be my suggestion.

Next time you install debian and want sudo just do not put in a root password. You can change your repos by editing /etc/apt/sources.list (need to.be root or use sudo) if you didn't know.

Unetbootin?

Free software guidelines, defaults, preferred release models, wanting to support the original distros instead of based on things, not trusting canonical...

When using the vga kernel option, what determines which particular mode (i.e. combination of resolution and refresh rate) will be used? On an oldish system with a CRT monitor some very crappy refresh rates are being used, for example with vga=771 the mode is 800x600@56Hz, and with vga=773 it's 1024x768@87Hz INTERLACED (so I guess the effective refresh rate is only about half of that). How to persuade the kernel (or whatever is responsible) to use something reasonable like 800x600@85Hz for vga=771 etc. instead of the crappy low refresh and/or interlaced modes?

Has hardware acceleration gotten working in chrome with intel chips? Watching html5 1080p youtube would always drive my CPU up too high under Linux.

Btw it's an old kernel and KMS isn't supported, so the "video" kernel option can't be used.

are you trying to learn how to use linux?
no?
use ubuntu/mint/etc

I do not know how to enable mediasource and h264 in opera, only firefox. Maxbe you can find out about it with searx. But flash is not the solution.

why do people use linux when there are so many problems of stuff not working how they were supposed to?

It's better than being spied on using windows 10. Secondly most problems people encounter are user errors and not Linux's fault.

>the learning linux meme
Shit-tier bait.

Everything works for me and i realized that most problems that i had when i started were caused by me or low quality programs that i used at the time because shills convinced me the alternatives were bad. Now that i only use FOSS everything is good.

not everyone is an end user, user

How do you become root from a live CD? I want to edit my partitions but it won't let me access the harddrive from my USB system rescue cd.

but it has problem with drivers. I have no idea about how I am supposed to fix this

I figured it out - all i had to do was

– opera:flags#enable-webassembly

and

– opera:flags#enable-webrtc-h264-with-openh264-ffmpeg

Youtube website still says i'm missing h.264 - but i am now able to watch the video that said error

If it weren't for you i wouldn't have solved this. Thanks

Bump. Anyone has an idea what determines the particular mode (i.e. refresh rate) getting used with a given vga=xxx option (the "xxx" only seems to determine resolution and bit depth, but not refresh rate), why low refresh or interlaced modes are getting picked of all things, and how to change that?

>friendly linux thread
>friendly

you have problems with drivers, not it. and as long as you can't describe your issue so that we can understand this probably will not change.

>and as long as you can't describe your issue so that we can understand this probably will not change.
what did you not understand? there is distortion in the audio when using linux. there isn't distortion when using windows.

you dense motherfucker. what kind of distortion do you have, do you have it with alsa or pulse? what did you try to fix it? what device do you use?
tons of questions you have to ask yourself and you didn't answer a single one.

nvm me, I kept editing the wrong disk, I'm a retard

I'm thinking about buying this graphics tablet. Do you guys know if they work well on Linux?

usually yes, why not just try it?

Who is buying this?

Just like on any OS? Bugs exist and won't stop existing anytime soon.

i almost did.

So nobody has any idea at all what determines what refresh rate is used for a particular "vga=xxx" kernel option??

can't you change that with xrandr?

>what kind of distortion do you have
here: >It sounds like the low frequencies are too amplified

Low pitch sounds are too loud. The gain is unbalanced through the frequencies of the sound.

>do you have it with alsa or pulse?
here: >Right now I have alsamixer, pulseaudio volume control and pulseaudio equalizer installed. I don't know how to use alsamixer, and I've installed pulseaudio to try to solve the problem.

>what did you try to fix it?
I googled about the problem, since I don't know what I am supposed to do.

here: >I couldn't find anything about this problem while googling.

The only thing I found is that some people used an equalizer to "un-distort" the sound, but the final result isn't good and it doesn't fix the problem.
I also gave a look at /etc/pulse/default.pa, but I don't understand what the stuff written there does.

>what device do you use?
My output devices are shown here:

No, xrandr affects an X session (just as the settings in xorg.conf do). The vga= parameter sets the resolution/bit depth for the standard tty1-tty6 virtual terminals.

>>My output devices are shown here: (Cross-thread)
i am talking about your sound chip
>
I googled about the problem, since I don't know what I am supposed to do.
so you didn't even try changing the ports?
>Low pitch sounds are too loud. The gain is unbalanced through the frequencies of the sound.
how strong is this and how do you tell?
give examples.

I'm thinking about buying this graphics tablet
wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets/intuos-draw
Do you guys know if it works well on Linux?

my bamboo splash from 7 years ago worked fine on ubuntu

/fglgbt/

How viable is it to make some sort of image to restore to a Gentoo install tailored for one machine?

Do you mean a whole disk image or something else?

>i am talking about your sound chip
"lspci -v" gave me this:

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 0b)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 51
Memory at f7a1c000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 8 Series HD Audio Controller
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 50
Memory at f7a18000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

"aplay --list-devices" gave me this:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3236 Analog [ALC3236 Analog]

>so you didn't even try changing the ports?
How do I change the ports?
Changing the ports in the Output Devices tab in pulseaudio does nothing.

>how strong is this and how do you tell?
Compared to windows, it sounds like the audio on ubuntu is muffled.
Low pitches aren't strong per se, but they are louder than the high pitches.

>give examples.
@ 1:01
youtube.com/watch?v=XellYzrIR-w