What do you think of powershell?

What do you think of powershell?
Is it really a shell with power?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

passing objects around in pipes instead of just data streams is neat. I'm happy to see an option that's really different from a unix shell doing pretty well for itself.

this.

there is no reason for a windows based operating system to have a command line shell. M$ should design windows main selling point to be simple 'click/point/exec.' based. my 2 cents having been a windows power user since dos.

> M$

ok can you stop? this isn't 1998 anymore.

I've been playing around with it since microsoft open-sourced and ported it over ( github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell ) and I'm enjoying using it on a system where a shell is more useful to me.

sorry i just wished windows would just werk :( i am really passionate. i loved 2000, and i was a prominent tester for xp and server 2003+ i wised microgay would not glue together their products. my old 650sx workstation is running xp x86_64 and it is pretty damn solid os as well. i am really big fan of 2008 server and 2012 server as well.

It's really fucking bloated and slow

Can you debloat it?

Powershell is fucking amazing for Windows admins. It's made administering WinServer2012r2 a god damned breeze compared to Server 2003 boxes.

It's still no bash. Not even close. But until Microsoft loses control of enterprise, (lolneverhappening), it's the best we have.

>Powershell is fucking amazing for Windows admins

no point, faggot! what do you think the snap on management console is for! what do you think the suffix tree suite is for! what'd you need powershell if your main duties is maintaining domain controllers!

It's based on some dotnet abortion, so no.

(You)

makes my job way easier

>what'd you need powershell if your main duties is maintaining domain controllers!

You can manage literally everything in AD, Exchange, group policy, registry, etc, via powershell.
Import-Module ActiveDirectory
$ADROOT = (Get-ADRootDSE).DefaultNamingContext
New-ADObject -Type Container -Name "System Management" -Path "CN = System,$ADROOT"
While ($ADACL -eq $NULL)
{
Start-Sleep -Seconds 5
$ADACL = Get-ACL "AD:CN=System Management,CN=System,$ADROOT" -ErrorAction Ignore
}
$ADACL = Get-ACL "ad:CN=System Management,CN=System,$ADROOT"
$SCCMSRV = Get-ADComputer $env:ComputerName
$ADSITYPE = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectorySecurityInheritance] "All"
$ADACE = New-Object System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectoryAccessRule $SCCMSRV.SID,GenericAll,All,$ADSITYPE
$ADACL.AddAccessRule($ADACE)
Set-acl -aclobject $ADACL "ad:CN=System Management,CN=System,$ADROOT"

I get that it runs on linux machines now. I'm trying to find a reason anyone would ever want to though.

I feel really bad for people that have to administer windows machines. The tooling just sucks.

pretty comfy

>what'd you need powershell if your main duties is maintaining domain controllers!

That's literally my main duty.

Nearly every request across my desk is "get me a report of users who have not logged in in 40 days", or "get me a report of users in these three OUs".

Powershell is fantastic.

Garbage.

>M$ should design windows main selling point to be simple 'click/point/exec.'
Windows is a very annoying platform to develop software on precisely because that's the way it was already designed. Even as a user its often very annoying because if you have a problem, chances are you'll have a hard time debugging it yourself as programs are usually compiled as Windows graphical applications without console output.

Why? Has something changed?

>Powershell is fucking amazing for Windows admins.

This guy gets it. I'm a former Unix admin that is now a Windows admin. Powershell is as powerful and functional as Perl.

>there is no reason for a windows based operating system to have a command line shell
Unless you hate programmers, you should not design an operating system without a command line. Also, scripts make system administration a bit easier.

>M$ should design windows main selling point to be simple 'click/point/exec.'
It is. Command line shit doesn't really get advertised... at all.

Scripting .NET code.

So where can I get windows license for free?