/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

For a gaming computer, what part should I buy next if I already have a processor and graphics card?

Everything else

Say I could only get one. What should it be?

motherboard

I'm currently using a 120GB SSD, and just bought a 1TB SSD.
What's the best way to clone the old one to the new one.
Running Windows 10 and both are Samsung 850 Evos.

Nothing, you should wait until you can get everything close to the same time.

Samsung provides downloadable software for that.

trying to get my new computer build setup and only just got to desktop, now my computer, won't recognize my ethernet cord. So I googled it and tried what it said, going to devices and updating drivers but it tells me windows could not find driver software for your device
what the hell should I do?
I've never heard of having to get drivers for ethernet cables...

Why do I always get black things between my nails?

Will there be a time when a PC becomes completely biological? Like running of a human brain or something?

What are the benefits of this?

Not being able to assemble it when the parts are new means that you run the risk of exceeding the return period of the retailer when you find out a part is bad, forcing you to deal directly with the manufacturer which can be a pain.

No

Shower more often

I've decided that lugging a mid tower to and from university is a fucking chore. So I've started looking for compact cases but nothing seems right.
>Clean exterior
>MATX or ITX
>No ventilation at the top whatsoever
>Good cooling
>Decently silent
>No windows
>Easily accessable for removal of heatsinks and drives
>Good cable management (this rules out the Define Nano S because I guarantee that any drives behind the motherboard tray will create spaghetti)
>All filtered intakes
Right now, the Corsair 250D looks like the best option, if it weren't for the window.

Depends on the processor and the graphics card, usually it's the RAM.

I see, thanks for the help anons

they were on the cd that came with the mobo
god I am an idiot

Does Jesus watch me when I masturbate?

I don't know, but I do.

Yes, and he will show the recordings in front of everyone on the judgement day

can I put a dell optiplex 580 motherboard in a standard micro atx case? My southbridge died and an optiplex 580 motherboard is significantly cheaper than other AM3 motherboards ($25 shipped) and compatible with all my hardware as far as I can tell.

It's a cheap render box and I'm looking to spend as little cash as I can to get it to recognize sata drives again and to not catch on fire.

I want to install linux (elementary OS/ubuntu) to a usb 3.0 flash drive. I did get it working, but when I booted up windows with the flash drive plugged in, it messed up the EFI boot folder.

I don't understand this aspect very much, so, what is something I can do to prevent windows from damaging my linux drive? Also, what do I set manually in the partition install screen so I can allocate half of the drive to something I can share between windows and linux?

oh fuck nvm it's a btx board

How can I make a file like that?

Anybody have a good resource for learning how to well organize CSS? I know it well enough to get by, but I always feel like my code ends up pretty sloppy.

Do you guys know if this is any good? Somebody stole my Chromecast and I need a new one, but they are like $30. How would this one work?

>What's the average amperage from a motherboard usb port?

I'm getting 200-250ma from a single port.
It's not the PSU because it's new and overkill.

Is my mobo dying?

How can I do SMS from my laptop browser, without a phone? I'm willing to pay a phone bill, but I don't want the extra device.

Put system tags at the top like "body"
Group things into a single tag if you know they don't need to edited seperately with ","
Write notes for anything that isn't obvious

If you boot from a mirrored software RAID 1 which HDD actually initializes the boot process

Are SSDs on laptops worth it just for sake of smoother desktop experience? I'm thinking of buying a relatively cheap i3 laptop but adding SSD to requirements bumps the price significantly. I plan to use it to browse web, watch movies, play some old (early 200x) games and maybe program a bit when I don't have access to my desktop (e.g. when I'll have to stay somewhere for a day or two)

Yes

>I'm thinking of buying a relatively cheap i3 laptop but adding SSD to requirements bumps the price significantly.
Worth it, it's one less moving part that can fuck up your machine. In any machine moving parts are always the weak points.

Should be 500ma. If anything, it would be the USB controller.
Google voice.
The one that your computer boots from; the one set as the primary boot device in the BIOS.

Any good recommendations for a motherboard and ram? Assume price doesn't matter. Also, any good suggestions for mousepads?

How does dual xeon x5690 stack up to current gen i7s? Every website i visit has different oponions

Asus Z10PE-D16 WS with 1024GB of G-Skill Ripjaws

Depends on what you use it for

okay, lets say

Loads of heavy 4k photoshop, virtualization, and server use (virtualized servers), the thing is though, will the single core performance be decent for vidia gaymez, i dont want to build a second system just upgrade my current one

What's a good Firefox based browser and why?

(Already have an x8dti-f and 128 gb of ecc ddr3 1336, and 3 gtx 660 ti) ( soon to be a single 1080)

Putting an HDD in a laptop in 2016 should be punishable by death, and the fact that manufacturers charge (in some cases) literally 3-4x more than cost just to put something in that should be the only option in the first place is horrendous. 128 is a bit small depending on what you are doing, but a 256GB SSD is better for a laptop than any possible configuration of HDDs. They're just plain better suited to that task.

For the workstation related tasks it will kick the ass of a single 6700k, but single core performance will be about on par with a 8350, which is to say not great but able to keep up for most games.

Why can't there be Xeons clocked at 4GHz right out of the box

Well there is probably no point in using ECC with i7

This is kind of fucked up set up user, have you considered using two machines instead of one?

If it can keep up with games thats great, i currently have 2 of the lower class xeons from the same skew, i guess ill drop the shekels for the upgrade, any idea how tf i can overclock them?

Because heat and power consumption, two things that increase rapidly when you increase the voltage to get a stable higher clock speed, are not desirable traits for server farms.

No i7 here lol, only xeons from the gulftown and bloomfield era

Some xeons have unlocked multipliers so you can check but I wouldn't count on doing any overclocking.

Is fsb overclocking stall a thing? The older xeons still use qpi instead of newer interconnects

I need a raspberry pi tier performance server and maybe minimum 20/5 internet speed, what are my options for rental?

You can try but its a lot trickier

i'm trying to put together a chart of processor sockets and i can't for the life of me find a good picture of an lga1356 socket anywhere. does anyone have one?

Anybody?

Say I'm looking at working through Windows RDP on a VPS with someone else.
Is there anyway that other person would be able to have access to my computer?

My kids shit bricks whenever i make them stop watching youtube, can crap like skydoesminecraft be addicting or are my kids just assholes

MSI Z170-A Pro + Hyper X Fury. MM600.

in ascending order of cheapest plan
ramnode, vpscheap, digitalocean

My exHDD is running slow.
Accessing the drive takes about a minute more or less, and some of the folders freezes up explorer.
I can still read, write, and whatever with it.

Pic related is from Crystal Disk Info.

What do I do? I don't really want to wipe all of this shit and I don't have a backup drive or the money for one.

It's not youtube itself per-se, but moreso the fact that kids lack any sort of self control, and will binge endlessly on stuff they like.

Would you let your kids watch TV all day? What about eat candy for dinner every night?

A moderate amount of media consumption is fine, but you gotta be sure that they socialize and develop critical thinking skills.

Thats my oponion on the subject, they have a set limit of 2 hours a day and it is often the first thing they do. Often as not they will evade me to keep watching

Is active noise cancellation in headphones a meme?

Yes and no

Why don't they make mice with tilt-wheels anymore? Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a good replacement mouse with a tilt-wheel function!? I want my tilt-wheeled mouse, dammit!!

Can my old Corsair PSU run new rigs today?

Trying to cut costs on building a new computer. Reusing my old case too.

Using active noise cancelling headphones is not a meme.

HURR MUH AWSOME GAYMAN NOSE CANCELLEN EARBUDS is a meme.

I used an old Diablotek and it works just fine.

Thanks, user.

Is there any risk I should know?

mine was pic related and it's 80plus bronze

What's a good quiet and smallish mid tower case?
Currently using a Fractal R4, it's pretty great except being heavy as shit. Looking for something smaller with the same noise dampening abilities.

Then yeah I'd say they're just kids being little shits.

I just say so because my cousin's kids spend 8 hours a day on the iPad, and they don't really seem interested in going outside or doing much else.

When I was young my mother would bring home old PCs from work and I would mess with them endlessly.

Not that I know of. Just make sure it's not so old that the plugs don't fit on new motherboards.

How stupid am I for buying a laptop with a HDD instead of a ssd

you don't know heavy until you have a full tower

Have you guys heard of Bauhütte chairs?

>Diablotek
AAAAHHHHHH have you ever seen the insides of a Diablotek PSU?

Hey Sup Forumsuys my sound is just randomly turned off. I reinstalled all the drivers. Restarted the computer and everything. Still nothing. pls help

see

Im trying to restore an old PC for use and bought a cheap PSU for it
GA78 LMT-S2P
Athlon 260 3.2 GHz

the thing is when i try to set it to use my dedicated HD 3650 the screen gets no signal and i have to reset the bios to boot with integrated graphics.
is the graphic card busted? or the PSU too shit for a 40W graphics card?

Just spend the extra $15 and get a legit one that you know will work? Better off in the Sup ForumsCSG thread for that product.

how do i know if a cheap PSU is stable or decent ? how can i know if a PSU is unreliable?

Not necessarily, because obviously you were planning on immediately swapping it out for a 950 pro for half the cost (and NOT using the hdd as a secondary drive). Right, user?

Best youtube/video downloader?
i dont care if its a software/addon/extension as long as its a quality is top shit

Will this networking set up work with Verizon FiOS?

i use clipconverter.cc

Hey what's a good aftermarket 1070 card?

my old ram was 1333mhz now i am installing 1600 mhz hyperX fury, should i change anything in bios after installing new ram with higher frequency?

youtube-dl

Just check that its running at the correct speed

Yea thanks bro, just gonna buy a legit one.

I accidentally spilled diarrhea on the couch! When my ex gets home she's gonna flip, anyone have any tips to clean this up that won't leave a stain or smell? Needs to be quick, she'll be back in less than an hour.

It was a cheap ($500-ish) laptop for school and also my first laptop. I didn't know any better, anons!

>install windows
>stuff opens lightning quick
>1 month later
>stuff is noticeably slower
Why does this happen?

How do you stay anonymous on irc without using tor/vpn?

Is that possible?

Windows temp file and registry system is shit

Codebases are becoming shittier from pajeet-tier programmers

its called "windows rot" but i like to call it "why normalfags should use linux in their facebook machine"
go to Start > type msconfig > check if you have a shitload of programs at startup using up ram and cpu

my R4 weights like 30 lbs with everything in it

I have a pair of 85W Klipsch R-15M speakers driven by a bulky A/V receiver with a DAC for my desktop setup. If I want a tiny standalone amplifier that's more ~*~aesthetic~*~, what's my best bet?

What special voodoo is needed to make - p op c or n ti me. sh - werk on windows7

ootb only trailers work

My Windows 7 install refuses to boot since I replaced the motherboard. I've run out of patience trying to "repair" it, so I'm just going to re-install.

Aside from my home directory, is there anything else I should backup before I re-install?

You should probably just mirror the drive