Hey Sup Forums What's your favorite feature of Sup Forumsentoo

Mine is the fact that it's not other distros.

Mine's sudo rm -rf / --no-root-preserve

I like how it took me two days to install a functioning OS. Then I went to update to KDE5 with QT5 and it broke.

The 97 hour install temporarily distracted me from thoughts of suicide

flexibility and customisation

The hardened project is my favorite feature. Also USE flags.

Isn't hardened discontinued?

What makes you think that? It doesn't say that on anywhere on the project page. The hardened-sources package still gets updates as well.

PORTAGE
O
R
T
A
G
E

My favorite feature by *FAR* is easily epatch_user

I can trivially backport fixes, patch out behavior I don't like or simply try out experimental diffs by dropping them into /etc/portage/patches. No additional hassle required

>My favorite feature by *FAR* is easily epatch_user
THIS. I use it to ungoogle chromium.

>He thinks he can ungoogle chromium
Nothing more hilarious than chromefags in denial

Do tell how I can't make open source software do what I want it to.

>he thinks he has the time and capacity to actually audit all of chromium's lines of code, for every single update

No I don't. Where did I imply that?

Not that user but if you don't know what's in the code you can't really say you're safe.

Might as well stop using computers all together then, right?

All I personally care about is that the project is open for public review. I strip all of the stuff out that phones home and that's about all I'm willing to do.

> it's rolling release
> it's relatively stable, even on the ~amd64 branch - unlike that arch trash
> no systemd
I could even give up the advantage of having portage and all of that compilation jazz - if there was a distro that does all of those 3 things - I'd be immediately sold. The point is - a lot of this shit is not easily doable without compiling stuff. So, it's ok for me.
Wish list: would be really nice to be able to see portage with a couple of features from guile, in order to simplify the overall OS management.

use flags & overlays

I like that I can get hipster cred in desktop threads.

Great distro but I should point out RMS does not approve of Gentoo.

Who cares. It's easy to make Gentoo completely free.

he doesn't like gentoo linux, because it denies the influence of GNU.
this is gentoo linux PLUS GNU, as the screenshot tells you, so it's 100% fsf approved.

but that's a positive thing