Hey Sup Forums, I got this Sony cassette deck from 1987 at goodwill yesterday for ten bucks. How did I do?

Hey Sup Forums, I got this Sony cassette deck from 1987 at goodwill yesterday for ten bucks. How did I do?

How do I go about making sure it works and how do I get started recording and playing tapes?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0yUCdm7xtUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=U-YnWcoKlpo
hifiengine.com/database/hifi_database.php
thevintageknob.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'd just like some advice on getting these set up, I already have a cable to connect to my pc

I was figuring I'd go out today and buy some blank tapes and try to put some music on it from my pc then test playback

>You paid a tenner for that thing
Fucking hell m8!
You want to pick one of these up at a carboot for 50p!

I'll take it theres no carboots or decent old tech where you are.

Grade A BPC.

Literally why?

Nice numbers!

Fuck off, limey.

you too, fampai

No

So... you bought a tape deck when you have no tapes, and there are much better recording and playback formats readily available.

I'd say you wasted $10, and you're probably better off if it doesn't work so it doesn't sit there wasting your time as well.

So I found some old tapes and I got it to play, it sounds great.

The only catch is, I press play, it starts playing for a few seconds, then stops. It keeps playing if I hold down the play button but stops once I let go.

Any ideas?

I had a pioneer deck that has a similar problem.
Could be a million things.
Sup Forums is fucking useless with analogue tech.
Your best of going to somewhere like tapeheads.net

Damn. Because otherwise it plays great. Perhaps Sup Forums could help me try to turn the play button into a switch that is on/off or something.

vocaroo.com/i/s0yUCdm7xtUQ

If you listen to this, it plays fine once I hit play then cuts out.

Plug it into a mic slot or something.
I've never had a shit sounding sony tape deck.
So the takeup reel is turning an everything.
Give it an open. Any bands in it gone?

Autoreverse?

Tape decks have auto-stop so they don't burn out at the end of the tape. Something's probably too sensitive or gummed up.

the tape in the cassette is wound too tight, simply pull all of the tape out and wind it up slightly less tightly

I don't see anything marked autoreverse on here so I'm assuming that's not a problem.
> plug it into a mic slot
Why? My phone has bad sound recording but in real life the player sounds good. But yeah, it's turning fine at the right speed.
I tried cleaning the rollers with isopropyl but the problem persists. What do you recommend?
I've tried multiple cassettes and have the same problem. Although none of these have been played for a decade at least, or more.

I tried this, it didn't seem to work

Oh shit lads
I opened her up, dust busted the insides, and cleaned all the belts I could see with rubbing alcohol. It works like a charm now. Thanks for posting in my thread

get some tape and secure the play button down

the capstan might be stuck

If it aint Nakamichi casette deck, its garbage.

I'd like to not do that but I could.
I'll check. But I had opened it and cleaned it up, then I used isopropyl alcohol on the belts and it played fine. No problems, the tape played without stopping. I unplugged it, put it back together, and tried again but the problem came back. So it played fine while it was open. The case itself might be causing issues.
I wish I wasn't a poorfag desu

>He doesn't get his cassette players for free out of a dumpster
Laughing girls.jpg

I regret selling my casette deck because of this thread; it would've been fun to record modern music on tapes now.

nice score

Looks dope af, too bad it's missing the knob.
>how to check it works???
Plug it in and turn it on ya dingus :) preferably before you pay too much for it.

Check goodwill they usually have something. Although you might have to mess with it to get it working.
T-thanks famigliano
Yeah, I think it looks fine without the knob especially since I don't know what it looks like with the knob anyway so I don't know what I'm missing. It works, but it stops playing after a few seconds unless I hold play. I opened it up and fixed it, then I tried a tape while it was still open and there were no problems. Then I put the case back on and its having problems again. I probably tightened it too much. I could try playing it with the case off kek

I'm not american, but thanks for your concern.

I found one of my old Panasonic audio systems, it can record tapes so I may give it a try.

There won't be the degree of control I'd get with a deck, but oh well.

Oh, that's too bad I guess. I mean any thrift store should do. EBay also has stuff, but its not always as cheap.

If you want to keep it going you should look into replacement belts, it's quite incredible that they haven't crapped out, they always rot
Be careful with them, if they disintegrate into nothingness it's a bitch to clean the gunk out
Pioneer also made nice decks desu, Sony too
tbqh I still believe a Dolby S deck will beat most Nacks

Bump for an interesting thread.

i also picked up some nice audio equipment though a paid a fair price. Kenwood Kr 4070 receiver, marantz tt2000 turntable and AR speakers. New cartridge for the turntable and the guy threw in some records, and cables. Will post a picture when i get home

i for one am glad i now have better means of recording and listening to music than cassette tapes

do you think their is enough interest on Sup Forums that a stereo general discussing receivers, amps, speakers, dacs, turntables, cd players, cassette decks etc... could survive among all the threads.

That would be amazing, it would only work around this hour everyday, though. Euro/g/ without the kids. As soon as 'murikans start getting in here they just ruin everything and turn Sup Forums into another Sup Forums.

Yeah I will look into that, they seem like they may have been replaced at some point though. I doubt they are thirty years old.
> he thinks my thread is interesting
Feelsgoodman
Well it seems like there's s little bit of interests at least, there's 18 posters on this thread
I know a guy with a record player. He visits record shops once in a while.
> implying I don't have a bunch of mp3 digital players
>implying we don't just enjoy analog shit
OP here, I'm a burger so please keep the bantz to a minimum or I'll kill myself. But already there's people going "Hurr idz 2016 ur old and gay xD", and Sup Forums is complete shit. So it would be nice to keep this on Sup Forums.

I could post pics of my stereo system, but it's dark and my phone's camera is shit.

Do it anyway lad

I might head over to the pharmacy; the CVS near me actually has a bunch of Maxell cassettes. They're ferric type 1 though, but I want to try to record something.

K.
1/3
Graphic EQ
MiniDisc Deck
FM/AM tuner

2/3
Turntable.
It has a modern cart -an Ortofon Omega with an OM10 needle

Impressive. Very nice.
I wish we could have a weekly general or something. There's at least a few of us.

>do you think their is enough interest on Sup Forums that a stereo general discussing receivers, amps, speakers, dacs, turntables, cd players, cassette decks etc... could survive among all the threads.
Last time it was tried they kind of lasted, but that was thanks to the Plebspotters shitposting everything into oblivion, and Horn Loaded ranting on plebs

3/3
CD Player (SCPH-1002 PS1, let the hate begin)
Tape Deck
Amplifier

Also, not pictured is a Behringer UCA200 which I use for recording/playback to/from my desktop

Looks like you've got it made man

I think it would be nice to do sort a soft run. Make it look nice like how the hpg are setup. Does anyone have some resources about entry stuff (turntable, amp, speakers, setup) for beginners. Maybe some nice photos too. Pic are some of the Sony ES series components and they look beautiful

Gets the job done. I like being able to buy music in the cheapest format I can find it on. The belts on the tape deck seem to be going out, though. I'll buy a replacement kit on ebay.
I don't really have the room to make it look nice, since I'm a NEET living with my parents out of "autismbux".

Shiet, just got what you meant with "make it look nice". Damn assburgers.

This is actually exactly the thread I need. I just ordered a 5.1 speaker set without realizing I needed to order a receiver. It's literally just to watch Netflix from a laptop on a 32" television, so I came here to ask

> What receiver will work well with these speakers?

Preferably under $200, and the cheaper the better. We had problems hearing dialogue in Stranger Things and I decided it was time to move away from the TV speakers and get real speakers

The cheapest Onkyo with 5.1 channels
tbqh the Onkyo's are some of the best value receivers, you can check reviews though

We could link in audio karma, and their user and service manuals.

ok so i came up with a test for a thread starter. if it looks good ill post it today and for the rest of the week once a day to see if we can get this type of discussion off the ground. Additions and critiques are welcomed

This thread is about the appreciation and use of vintage and modern stereo systems. Feel free to discuss Receivers, Amps, HiFi components (turntables, cd players, cassettes, etc) along with buy and selling advice and troubleshooting/setup questions.

>Deoxit: The miracle cleaner that can make your stereo work like it’s brand new
youtube.com/watch?v=U-YnWcoKlpo
>Looking for a manual or information about a component? Check it out here
hifiengine.com/database/hifi_database.php
>Interested in some history about your device? Try here to find more details about the history and more detailed specs
thevintageknob.org/

Ebay is a great way to gauge prices on products and also buy products from more reputable dealers.

Many local record stores also sell stereo components so don’t be afraid to call and ask what they have for sale.

Check local thrifts stores, garage sales, flea markets etc for items at decent prices.

also here is my new setup i just purchased. Still trying to find some decent furniture for it.

well i made a thread here if you guys want to try and post in it.

OP here thanks for the support lad

What does /sg/ stand for because I'm retarded
I was thinking /aeg/ as in audio equipment general.

Guessing "stereo general" but I think /aeg/ would be better.