/sg/ soft run edition

This thread is about the appreciation and use of vintage and modern stereo systems. Feel free to discuss Receivers, Amps, HiFi components (turntables, cd players, cassettes, etc) along with buying and selling advice and troubleshooting/setup questions.

>Deoxit: The miracle cleaner that can make your stereo work like it’s brand new
youtube.com/watch?v=U-YnWcoKlpo
>Looking for a manual or information about a component? Check it out here
hifiengine.com/database/hifi_database.php
>Interested in some history about your device? Try here to find more details about the history and more detailed specs
thevintageknob.org/

Ebay is a great way to gauge prices on products and also buy products from more reputable dealers.

Many local record stores also sell stereo components so don’t be afraid to call and ask what they have for sale.

Check local thrifts stores, garage sales, flea markets etc for items at decent prices.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Sony-STR-V2-FM-Stereo-FM-AM-Receiver-Tested-/381755777088?hash=item58e26ae040:g:QfMAAOSwjXRXY~pM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bullshit I havent see a decent price on vintage audio in 6+ years of looking, absolutely nothing affordable in Orlando FL.

also posting my recent purschase to help things get going
>Kenwood kr-4070 receiver
>Marantz tt2000 turntable
>Acoustic Research speakers

still looking for some decent cheap furniture to hold the components.

where are you looking?

I got a working Sony TC-R303 yesterday for ten dollars.

Looks nice. A square table with a lower shelf portion would be nice to hold the reciever and turntable, and and put the speakers on the lower part.

Picked up pic related a couple weeks ago for $7. Can anyone recommend a good receiver?

Forgot pic

I'm looking for a cheap 5.1 Reciever for use with 6 ohm speakers and a 50w sub I just got in. Theyre for watching TV at night more than anything. Any suggestions?

might want to look at some entry pioneer or sony receivers. Got a price point in mind?

It is possible, but you might be looking in the wrong areas. Don't look in places that specialize in the stuff. For example, if you're at a flea market, don't look for great deals from the people who are selling just audio equipment. Go to the people who look like they are just trying to get rid of some old stuff.

found this nice sony receiver for 60 on ebay. If you plan on only using it for the phono function and am/fm it would be really nice.

ebay.com/itm/Sony-STR-V2-FM-Stereo-FM-AM-Receiver-Tested-/381755777088?hash=item58e26ae040:g:QfMAAOSwjXRXY~pM

What would work better for a PC that is attached to an amp that would be used for playing audio: a PCI soundcard or a USB DAC?

CL, at lest 15 Thirft places, Let Go, Flea market here in Melbourne FL, a few thrift stores over in Orlando, 2 over in Saint Cloud. I look a fucking lot. Goodwill has completely Jew'd the fuck out of everything and now thrift stores are chargin EBay prices.

But not in Central FL you dick. Im fucking salty as hell.
>Sony TC-R303
DESU I dont even know what that is tho so I can't appreciate it. Ill have to google it.

Thx captain obvious. I didnt learn nothing in 6+ fucking years looking to get some decent stereo equipment.

I looked up the Sony TC-R303. Its a fucking tape deck, I cannot stand Tape Media, even when I was a kid, I would rather use FM radio.

I went ahead and got this.

That's nice. The new Yamaha units are pretty good from what I hear. I only have experience with some of their vintage equipment, but from what I heard, the new stuff is a good value for the money.

i prefer a usb dac mainly because their are tons of options out their compared to soundcards. Plus it is easier for the most part to get one with rca outputs and hook them up to a more classic amp.

sorry to here that man sounds like the area might have been picked clean. Good luck though and if you find anything post them in these types of threads.

Hey don't call me a dick, asshat.
Anyway I live in california so I guess it's different from Florida but can't you go to a couple goodwills in your area?
From what I can tell its a decent middle quality deck. It's got only one tape well, which is fine for me. Auto reverse, peak level meter, etc. The usual stuff. You can pick something similar up on eBay for 30 bucks.

Oh. So you like turntables better?

my dad has a bunch of these things in his garage and we recap one every now and then.

POS

wat

Hey lad me and another guy think it would be a better idea to call this /aeg/ for audio equipment general, not /sg/. It sounds nicer.

i think that is a smart move and will change it for the next thread. Also i will be trying to post the this thread for the entire week between 9 and 11 am eastern time. If the threads do fairly well i will keep posting (or other people can post threads).

christ thats fucking cool

Yeah, I might post one too, but I don't know if there's enough support to make it daily yet.
IT would be nice to merge with /hpg/ too, but I don't know if that's possible.

thx senpai

/hpg/ seems to be really established while were still working out the basics like what to call it. I think their could be a developing interest if good content if posted often. If the thread is still up by tomorrow morning ill bump it and wont post a new one. If it's dead I'll start a new one and see where it goes.

Does anyone have any advice for identifying good shit while you're out in flea markets, stores and crap?

So far, I just look the item of interest up on audiokarma.

get familiar with the high quality brands. Sony, Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui etc. Start looking at the really pricey ones and identify specific parts that apply to those series l. Things like the marantz 22xx series are very distinctive in looks and essentially get better as the price goes up. Also anything sony from the ES line up is top tier

We could try to work on a sticky or an faq

Got this guy for $40 a couple weeks ago

I got these from my grandad's after he passed along with right and left Kenwood speakers and a mediocre Samsung sub. I also have my Bose soundlink mini run to the headphone port. I think it sounds good but I might be an idiot. What do you all think?

i like that idea any suggestions on how to get started
very nice, have a pioneer sx737 my self and love it.
very nice tape deck. Amp is a little to contemporary for my tastes though. Might want to consider going for a classic 2.0 stereo though so maybe ditch the sub.

trying to use a jvc rx 500 stereo
with bookshelf speakers for my pc

ok whats the issue?

also
>toto IV
hell yeah

Damn that Rotel is beautiful.

This seems like a good place to ask... does anyone know of any cheap ways to add a wireless remote volume control to a vintage receiver? I don't mean modifying anything, just an external box that could be placed in between the preout/ampin or a tape loop. I found some "Audiocubics" things that are exactly what I was thinking of, but they cost nearly $300 which is far out of my budget.

not really sure i tried to run a cord from the aux port of the jvc stero to my motherborads speaker port but no sound.

just a faint buzzing of the speakers

are you sure its not a headphone or microphone port on the jvc, also have you tried going from aux to rca?

the only mic jack it has is front a 1/4,
jvc has two aux connectors in the back, i havent tried aux to rca

alright so l looked up your receiver and what i see on the back is the aux input but its rca only. I think you're confusing aux with a 3.5 jack. What you will want to do is get a rca to 3.5 converter, thank connect the rca jacks to the rca aux input on the back and the 3.5 to the computer. Than you can be rocking out with it, care to post pics?

The thing is that there is a lot of good vintage gear, and we will never be able to cover most of it.

I guess we could cover the more popular ones, like the Pioneer SX series, and other popular series from other companies.

thanks for the help hopefully that will work for .
its in storage right now so i cant post a pic. sorry for the late rply

Knowing the good brands is a start. However, you would do well to avoid vintage equipment that doesn't appear to have been taken care of over the years.

>Dirty
>Knobs/buttons missing or gritty to actuate
>Covers appear bowed as if significant weight was left on the equipment all the time
>If you get to listen to it, you get channel dropouts adjusting EQ/balance/levels or any protection circuitry activates for any reason

If any of the above come up, you'll likely need to invest significant time into either restoring the equipment yourself or getting someone else to do it.

Also, I highly recommend you avoid any Kenwood amplifiers if you aren't looking for an electronics project. Many of them utilized what is known as "direct-coupled" circuitry between various stages of the amplifier, thereby causing a failure in any of these stages to damage most of the circuitry connected to it. A great example of this was my KA-801. Direct-coupled amps sound amazing, but some years ago the finals shorted out on some bad speakers, and then overloaded/shorted out the drivers, parts of the EQ circuitry and the entire left channel of the tape/phono pre amp circuitry before the fuse blew out. It took months of probing, parts replacement and tuning before I could use the amp again.

If you're looking for speakers, weight is often correlative with quality. But you should always check for wear such as tears, decomposition, water damage, etc. in addition to a quick search for reviews before buying to get an idea of whether they are worth picking up.

Only a handful of vintage FM tuners are worth purchasing unless you get it as part of a full set (amp + tape deck + tuner for example).

Technics makes amazing turn tables.

ill save this and try to work it for the sticky, im packed with classes this week so i dont know how much time i can a lot to it, but i sure as hell will fucking try.

anyone have a experince with company Simply Speakers

who /nakamichi/ here

Not particularly. You might find a pre-amp that suits your needs in that regard, but cheap ones are going to sacrifice audio quality.

Another thing I would suspect to be a potential issue is distortion if the pre-amp brings the levels up too high and the stages before the finals become over-saturated. I haven't tried this kind of a setup so YMMV.

They seem to be okay from what I heard, but can be a bit pricey. It depends on the value of the speakers though.

I was going to buy replacement foam for my realistic minimus 77s for them but it cost nearly as much as the speakers themselves($25 for the kit). I ended up going on audiokarma and finding someone else who just sells the foam for $7, and I ended up buying that, and using alleene's tacky glue to put them on, and haven't really regretted my choice of cheaping out.

One thing that I heard is that some people do not like the glue in their kits, since it dries too fast.

Your mileage may vary, and I would say consider them if you have good speakers, but look around first.

thanks, have Allison a100 i got second hand
might get reformed
dont know if they're worth it