Why don't smartphones have built in AM/FM radio receivers?

Why don't smartphones have built in AM/FM radio receivers?

Other urls found in this thread:

phonearena.com/news/Did-you-know-some-Sony-Xperia-smartphones-have-hidden-FM-transmitter-functionality_id69528
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A decent amount have FM radios.
I think the issue with AM is it needs an extremely long antenna to pick up AM signals.

Because that shit is prehistoric

Oh yeah why don't they? God forbid shit hits the fan that hard we have to rely on that technology but at least its there.

they do, they're just locked down intentionally

use any of the older galaxy phones, up to the s3, and there is a radio app

they do you idiot.

Sup Forums's favorite Xiaomi Redmi 3s thingy has a FM radio i think

>I think the issue with AM is it needs an extremely long antenna to pick up AM signals.
>tfw I can plug my ATH-M50s into my line in and receive AM radio.

Most people won't use it so it's wasted space.

Most radio chipsets on cell phones have FM radio capability.

they're in new ones too. just samsung and motorolla from what i've heard, though.

Who needs radio when you have streaming services such as Google Play Music©, Spotify™, and Apple® Music℗?

This is the real reason right here. Many phones have built in FM, but OEMs turn them off so you can be sold data.

some even had FM transmitters...

Name any phone that can broadcast FM

phonearena.com/news/Did-you-know-some-Sony-Xperia-smartphones-have-hidden-FM-transmitter-functionality_id69528
you could have googled it

My S7 edge can receive FM but it requires headphones to be attached to work, they supposedly act as the antenna, not sure how that works.

They do in the civilized world my American friend

still, theres no FM Radio app on iphone

All an antenna actually needs is wire. I strung a good length of wire across the tops of trees in my backyard and get DX with it.

You need an antenna length that is a multiple of 1/4th the total length of the wave of the frequency you intend to receive or bigger and/or a big ass ferrite bar for medium/long wave.

Also less people in more recent generations use radios compared to the past and including an internet radio app is cheaper than adding a radio tuner and antenna in the factory

I confirm

xperia z5 has it unlocked

It is irrelevant when you can just emulate/stream it

If you have a Snapdragon phone spiritfm will work.
Headphones are used as an antenna.

Streaming
>Uses data
>Uses much more power
>Not all radio stations be streamed
It's an inferior solution.

>not having an unlimited-unlimited data plan
>not having isp with wifi hotspots all over country

cucked

Receiving FM still uses much less power than using LTE or even wifi and doesn't solve the problem that not all stations are streamed. It's inferior to real radio.

Nokia N78, N95, N8, C7

>including an internet radio app is cheaper
good luck finding a stream during a power outage or some emergency

also
>noticeable delay when listening live sport events

Yeah, I don't, not even close to what you're describing. Yet many international models of phones have FM capability, while North American models are locked down on the hardware level, for clearly no reason but reliance on data and monopoly infrastructure.

well you can always use your car's radio --oops forget you take the bus and train

The whole Sony line got FM radio.

I own a car. That's not really an excuse for phone radio support to be sub-standard though.

>noticeable delay when listening live sport events
live read only stream can only have "noticeable" delay if you have another point of reference, like you were listening to two different sources at once

nice dude what kind of car? i bet you love taking your step kids shopping too

>Not all radio stations be streamed
There are a bazillion more internet streaming radio stations than fm/am stations.

>lol cuck meme
Kill yourself Sup Forumstard

>this triggered

>Le trigger meme
Not an arguement

he's like one of those people who try out linux and spends more time trying to reuse everything in wine rather than looking for native alternatives

Radio is useful during SHTF, internet isn't. Checkmate internet.

on mine its not hidden, must be a US thing