PC is cheaper in the long run!

>PC is cheaper in the long run!

Why do people say this? I just recently converted to PC and spent $2350 on a rig, monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Consoles have cost me:
ps2: 300
xbox 360: 300
PS3: 300
Ps4: 400

$1300 over the course of a decade. I'm happy to move to PC but there's no way in hell it's cheaper.

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116777
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how about no

Well you're not factoring the TV into your console calculations.

You're a fucking retard.

When people say that, they are referring to >$1200 pcs and to the fact that you save money on games and online services.

>playing video games
don't you have to be 18 or older to browse this site?

The only thing you can do on those is games and multimedia

you won't get decent prices on games as often

you need to own and upkeep all those consoles to play their games, where as shit like System Shock 2 works perfectly on my PC despite it being nearly 20 years old...

When your CD drive dies, your system doesn't become shit (applicable for the older consoles)

my TV was 250$. i also didn't add the speakers i need to upgrade for my monitor because the 25$ ones i have sound poor.

why because you have no retort?

>you won't get decent prices on games as often
i buy used AAA games for 20$ and under... there's this weird thing where all pc players think i have to buy $60 games all the time. if you mean that i can't pirate games then yeah that's true. on the flipside i can also resell all my games on ebay

>When your CD drive dies, your system doesn't become shit (applicable for the older consoles)

no mention of the pc mobo dying or $300 cpu getting fried i see

So when are we going to implement that captcha that is only solved when someone troubleshoots a piece of simple code?

g2a homie

>spent $2350 on a rig, monitor, mouse, and keyboard

You fucked up. You can buy a console performance beating system for under $500, a cheap mouse and keyboard for under $50, and the monitor is irrelevant because you need a monitor/TV either way. You clearly way over-payed if your only intention was gaming.

Except when you spend 1300 on a pc you get a lot more than a fucking gaming machine. Kill yourself faggot.

half of those keys are from brazilian scammers using chargeback scams on developers

...why would i buy a pc to do exactly what a console already does? i bought a nice rig and monitor that would blow my consoles out of the water, and it was not cheap.

Fuck off retard.

>you get a lot more than a fucking gaming machine.
like....shitposting on Sup Forums and watching youtube videos? photoshopping? programming? stuff a 300$ shit tier toshiba toaster laptop can do?

>deliberately spend more money than you need to
WOW THIS WAS SO EXPENSIVE I'M GOING TO RANT ON AN ANONYMOUS ANIME DISGUSSION BOARD

Okay m8 now how much did you spend on games, yearly fees, controllers, add ons, especially consider that you were buying a new library every console launch

Your 2300$ computer is overkill and will last for multiple console generations, especially with diminishing returns in full play and you will be able to squeeze performance out by lowering graphical setting in the future

i could have bought an inferior set-up and spent even more money on upgrades in the long run, sure.

Spending double now might get you 6 years out of your PC before it's a museum piece instead of 5. Spending a ton of a PC is not good value for money. Anything more than $700 is throwing money away unless you want to do 4K 144Hz 3D VR Gaming on your colour cycling RGB LED system.

I still play on a PC from 2009

not sure on games but assuming pc players don't exclusively pirate or buy stolen keys on g2a (people really think mankind divided was $20 retail on launch day? no one thought that's weird?) probably not a huge amount over PC players who buy new AAA titles on release.

>controllers
the console comes with them

>add-ons

I do buy DLC from bethesda and etc. i assume most aren't free aside from some cosmetic stuff

>overkill

it probably seems like it, but the rig itself was only $1600 or so, and i wont be due for an upgrade for a year or two hopefully. people don't seem to realize how pricey it is starting from the ground up (keyboards alone are $60 for something decent) because they only pay out small dividends throughout the year.

First of all, PC is cheaper if you go for console tier quality, as in 30 FPS on low settings. You need to factor in the TV, whatever ~200$ laptop you get for everything PCs do consoles can't (as in not vidya), and the subscription cost for your online service.
Second of all, this is Sup Forums and not Sup Forums, you cancerous piece of shit. Go back.

>but the rig itself was only $1600 or so

You could have had half that budget and made a rig that you wouldn't have to touch for 5 years if you stuck to 1080p.

Also my keyboard is 20$, Stop overspending.

You don't have to buy AAA titles on launch, whereas a new console you have to buy the titles to have anything at all to play

Download Doom? Thats hundreds of hours of mods, levels, and full games on the engine already, and for free or dirt cheap. RetroArch? Hundreds of hours of old console classics. Hell, I'm still finding old games to play. DeCap attack, Japanese SNES games, capcom beatemups, Dolphin? CEMU is looking more playable every release, so you don't need a Wii or Wii U. DOSbox? I guess that counts as emulation like retroarch. Indie games, of which there's such a gigantic fucking amount it completely dwarfs the entire library of consoles many times over are usually cheap or even free.

What you get with your PC isn't just the newest and greatest, it's also literally every game that's been out for decades, it's actually unfathomably large how many games and hours can be put in just gaming, and they all get cheaper as time goes on

Building your own pc is cheaper than buying a prebuilt with the same specs. Not consoles, but you don't get to mod on consoles unless you jailbreak them, and their hardware is limited whereas you can add a new gpu to a pc but you can't do that for a play station.

Could you remind me of some old DOS games?

All I remember is Supaplex and Aces of the Pacific.

All my xbox 360 games (20) when I average my recipt I keep inside each case up, I spent roughly $32 per.
Games alone thats about $640.
Cheap tv: $200
conole: $300
Subscription - $160

Total: $1300 for 20 games with multiplayer.

Now for my pc setup
$120 monitor
$600 prebuilt (i7-4790, prebuilts can be fucking awesome if its not gaming branded)
$300 gtx970
Currently 193 games on steam with multiplayer (15 of the console games I have on my account), roughly $650. I have all the triple A shit I just get on sale for more than half off and I g2a a bit. And most importantly, humble bundle. Humble bundle gets me a shit ton of indie games I really enjoy (like lethal league) or just give to randoms (skullgirls) for the cost of a pizza.

Total: $1670 for 193 games with multiplayer, along with the ability to do things outside of vidya. Also, replaceable parts, fixable in the long run.

Though Consoles are great for having friends over or watching movies on the couch, its the perfect mediabox so I cant say I regret getting one. It's just for gaming alone I don't think it can be a killer option.

Why are you guys falling for this bait? If someone spent nearly 4k doolarus on gaming alone he would brag about how much of a richfag he is, not complaining about how better/worse this shit he bought than other shits he had.

>Building your own pc is cheaper than buying a prebuilt with the same specs.
Patently false.

Consoles are optimized to do one thing and that is to play games at 30 fps with sub par graphics.

isn't a $700 build the same? 144hz is the new black

Are you retarded?

Don't be salty that we have free time wagecuck

Ironic coming from a board that is plastered with anime images. I've seen the desktop threads. Just because you're not into one manchild medium, does not exempt you entirely as not being one.
Especially while you're into weeb entertainment.

>Does not know the difference between long term and short term costs.
>Overpaid for all their bullshit

weak bait

>not account release price,but anecdotal bargin finding prices

idk where you live, but those consoles release far, far more expensive than what you listed

the ps2 was like NZ$699, and the ps3 more like NZ$999 to begin with iirc
i put together a pc in 2006 and spent NZ$600, upgraded it a few time up until 2012 when i did another major upgrade, spending about AU$600

>be me
>like faggot pretentious indie games
>pc gamer ez

What game other than journey can't I get on pc

you can build a solid gaming rig for 600. fuck off.

most indie games can run on some 150$ poc laptop

>muh RIG
You mean your computer? Fucking retard.

enjoy 30fps on medium setting

you know we're comparing to consoles, right?

Just like my consoles!
It's not low fps, it's cinematic!

>lol pc is so much cheaper
>Buys $400+ card every other year

That's only if you use Nvidia

Why would you want to discuss vidya on a board that actively hates Sup Forumsirgins? If you're afraid of the Sony shilling, just go to /vg/

How do you spend that much on a computer?
The last time I built one, I started from nothing but keyboard, mouse, and monitor (totaling less than $300) and felt like I splurged paying $900. This was 2 years ago and I've only had to throw more hard drives in. This machine is going to last me another 5 years minimum as a desktop and will then live on as the core of a fake arcade machine running arcade rips.

can you even play AAA games from 2015-2016?

>BAWWWWWWWWWW why does a universal device costs more than a locked down piece of shit with extremely limited uses

typical dumbass consoleshit. kill yourself back to Sup Forums

thats not the point.... the point is pc players constantly say its cheaper in the long run, and it's not. a decent gpu costs as much as most consoles

Fuck off back to Sup Forums you underage piece of shit

A Radeon 7850 that costed $200 exactly 4 years ago is still fast enough.

now add the cost of games and overpriced online gaming
and realize that you don´t have to upgrade your pc if you don´t want after all if you "have to" then you "have to" add the price of the neo to the ps4

because you don't have to spend nearly that much to get a better-than-console expierence.

What do you do with your computer where it needs to cost $2350?

What about your TV dipshit.

>how about no
So we are not looking at the video game attributes or you would have posted this in the video game board
>ps2: 300
Can't type a document on it
>xbox 360: 300
>PS3: 300
>Ps4: 400

If you want that "fud" about upgrading your pc every year to stop, you should probably stop posting 20 gpu threads every day.

>spent $2350
you dumb fuck, sli future proofing is a meme

I like how it was defeated in the first post.
No the retort was to post your video game discussion in

hey i´ll welcome that the GPU thread cancer stops
but you know what is such a nice thing about PCs?
that you have a choice if you want to upgrade or not

seeing how gpu threads won´t ever dissapear from Sup Forums
do you want threads where people write how they don´t upgrade their pcs? after all it seems you people are so backwards that threads about gpus make you feel like you have to upgrade a pc

the ps3 had linux support
so yeah you could
you could probably even install gentoo if you tried

You could have got better than console quality performance with a pentium g3258 overclocked, 8gb ram and one of the new RX 400 graphics cards. That plus the rest of the parts should be under 500 USD. Also, it is cheaper in the long run since your case, storage devices, power supply, coolers, peripherals, DVD drives can be reused, so you only replace the GPU/CPU and maybe the motherboard.

>PS2
>Can't type a document on it

ps2 had linux support too

the pentium at stock speeds would still outperform console CPUs

>the ps3 had linux support
so yeah you could
you could probably even install gentoo if you tried

You can not install Linux on the ps3 unless you yourself developed a patch/hack to do so and have not released the patch/hack. It has been this way since 2010 firmware 3.15.

>all these replies
c'mon guys

Current video game sales demographic:

17 and under: 27%
18-35: 29%
35-49: 18%
50+: 26%

That puts the majority of gamers over 18 friendo

If your PC parts die outside of the warranty period, chances are it's time to upgrade anyway.

My 6670 died after 5 years, at which point it was already so sorely outdated that replacing it was something I should have already done anyway.

why do people post these baits on Sup Forums when they could get twice the (You)'s per hour on Sup Forums with them?

who says they don´t post on Sup Forums too

sauce?
>inb4 bullshit

>spent $2350 on a rig, monitor, mouse, and keyboard
How can you be this stupid.
$1000 PC
$200 monitor
100$ mouse and keyboard

If you payed more for anything you either got scammed (prebuild?) or you bought alot of unnecessary shit ($100 soundcard).

yeah all these 13 year olds go out and buy their own consoles
they are absolutely not bought by their parents that fall in one of the three upper categories

>$200 monitor
do you even gsync

There is no point in spending more than $600 for a PC because after that diminishing returns set in.

/thread

>no mention of a monitor
nice meme

A good 1080p Freesync monitor is only $130.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116777

>TN
>implying that card can even push >60 fps

Get a good solid 1080p/60Hz one for $150-200, a 1440p one for $300, or go for a 144 Hz/1440p one for $500. TN is a meme.

>21"
>freesync without 144-240hz

ew