Do you own a bicycle Sup Forums?

Do you own a bicycle Sup Forums?

You know they're technology right?

Cycling is the most energy efficient form of transportation.

Other urls found in this thread:

linusbike.com.au/products/the-libertine
youtube.com/watch?v=5VAYYpAR6TU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why of course

I have a bike, I just hate cyclist culture and everything that goes with it.
My daily commute is only 5 miles, but I still wouldn't ride my bike on the street because drivers are fucking stupid and I don't want to get scraped off the pavement.

Also, why do hardcore bicycle commuters like to pretend that they're sponsored by wearing jerseys with lots of logos on them?
Why do they wear their fancy cyclist toe heel clip things when they're only cycling to work?
Why are cyclists so pretentious?

/travel/ is the appropriate board OP.

In the end, a bunch of shit is going to be "technology related" but not approved for this board.

There is pen/pencil threads that are posted here that get debate that they should be posted in /ic/.

I don't know the answers to your questions but I do know my motorized bike triggers them deeply.

>Also, why do hardcore bicycle commuters like to pretend that they're sponsored by wearing jerseys with lots of logos on them?
That's just how most jerseys look. And they're worn because they're very comfortable and practical.
>Why do they wear their fancy cyclist toe heel clip things when they're only cycling to work?
Because riding clipped in feels great
>Why are cyclists so pretentious?
Every sport has pretentious twats, no need to generalize

also
>he rides on the sidewalk

Why not just get a scooter at this point?

Everyone rides on the sidewalk here.
This isn't a big city where traffic is almost completely stationary for you to weave through safely.

I wonder: What is the calorie expenditure per mile on a bike vs what a car burns in gasoline?
Just how efficient is a fit human body vs a modern engine?
Surely someone more sober than I has done the math on this.

Where?

I hate the logo-covered spandex dickholes who commute, but cleats are 100% worthwhile while commuting. You're significantly quicker, plus it feel more stable when clipped in.

I can't be arsed to look up the study but a car is far more efficient. In fact the human body as a motor is pretty damn inefficient

Weaving through traffic is never safe. Riding on sidewalks full of pedestrians isn't safe either.

Follow the law and ride in the road, where vehicles belong.

Here's a pic of my hardtail I took during a trail ride.

Because I can choose to pedal whenever I like.

>he fell for the 1xmeme

That looks like the Rockys in Colorado. Pretty comfy.

>a stick is technology
>let's have daily stick generals

Aee you the same queers who complain about GPU threads?

I've got a few in the garage, it's been 4 or 5 years since I've ridden one though.

Sup Forums - Tech/n/ology

No, a bicycle is significantly more energy efficient than a car, but the fuel for humans (food) is much more expensive per kcal than gasoline.

>meme
I'm enjoying the decreased maintenance, plus I a wide enough gear ratio that I never feel the need for more.

Close. Those are the Flatirons. Right behind them out of sight are the Rockies. Comfy AF

Why are "good" bikes so expensive?
I can't help but think the dept. store bike meme was cooked up by bike shop owners and are the same people who regurgutate that "support local business" shit.

Because they're built with quality components, made with quality engineering and quality materials. Dept store bikes are full of plastic shit and cheap steel that will break apart soon enough.

I'm a horrible biker, I bike 2 miles a day.

This is my bike and helmet. Fight me.

New, high end bikes have a premium because they fund the R&D that goes into the new technologies they use. You can get a "good" bike new for under $1000 easily. You can get a "great" used bike for even less.

It's all about doing your research and being an informed consumer.

You do you, man. Folding bikes are great for commuting, and any helmet that protects your head is a good helmet.

>Not building up a Chinese bicycle frame

>Because riding clipped in feels great

Stop lying you spandex wearing gaylord.

>tfw your bikes are worth more than your car
>tfw you haven't even touched your car in months other than get it inspected

>pink bar tape
My nigga

There's a noticeable difference in quality all the way to ~$2k. After that the achievable gains of paying more are only marginal. Good bikes start around ~$1k.

Implying any normale human being could fit on those.

I guess user

I don't trust the chinese garbon. When it fails and I eat pavement, I'll have no legal recourse.

It's all Chinese garbon user

Right, but you can get warranty coverage on the garbon sold by US based companies.

>literally using any frame material besides steel

>he didn't spend a gorillion dollars on a carbon fiber bike to ride to work

>he didn't spend a gorillion dollars on overpriced steel

No, driving my car is, I don't need to expend any energy :^) I can just pay 2.36 a gallon for liquid energy.

I like the idea of biking, but to be a nuisance to car drivers makes me hate myself.

>Dept store bikes are full of plastic shit and cheap steel that will break apart soon enough.

there's nothing wrong with a dept store bike if you assemble it yourself

Car drivers are a nuisance to everyone around them.

Is that a Shimagnolo 8 apees setup?

You have as much of a right to the road as they do.

Of course user, I might pick up an Aeroad when they start selling them in the US.

I have a mountain bike. I live right next to 25 miles of really well maintained trails and a huge park.

car drivers don't slow down traffic by being incapable of going faster than 20mph

cyclists always go on and on about sharing the road, yet they don't obey any traffic laws like they're supposed to

No, I own a car. 2013 Ford Focus, manual transmission of course.

Yes. Here's my touring/commuter of about ten years. Forty thousand miles, three cassettes, a rear derailleur, a dozen tires and uncounted chains later and still main source of transportation though I also have a car for grocery shopping.

Awesome bike and pc! What part of the world are you located?

LHTs are awesome. You should send your story to Surly. I'm sure they'd love to hear about a bike of theirs doing so well for so long!

It's waaay more efficient on a bicycle. Gasoline is a very densely packed fuel and cars are really heavy. Cycling is more efficient than running by a long shot and faster whilst hardly adding extra weight.

Good bikes are cheap, go on bikes direct. A nice steel frame with a cheap shimano groupset is more than enough for the average commuter plus you can lock it up without it being instantly stolen by a nignog

Motorists slow down by being huge compared to the human they are moving. If you live anywhere with density cycling is often faster due to filtering and overtaking traffic jams.

Cagers need to be rounded up, welded in their cages and made into environmentally friendly coral reefs.

Is that a brooks saddle senpai? STEEL IS REAL

>Awesome bike and pc! What part of the world are you located?

Thanks. I'm in central NJ. It's pretty nice...

A very well broken in B17.

is this site a front for the same 3 manufacturers?
All their bikes are gravity, motobecane and windsor.

Pretty much, either way - they're cheap, steel (cheap + durable and lasts for decades if maintained correctly).

They stock some really nice track frames, minivelos and even have some carbon stuff.

Either way, you're not going to commute on a over 1000 dollar bike because it's not worth the risk of getting it stolen and the constant risk of damaging components. It's better to buy a cheap and durable bike that will last.

Who /ride to a cafe on the weekend with their gf/ here?

I want to bully you.

>He doesn't even go on comfy weekend rides on his steel baiku

I want a qt teal colored road bike so bad.

I'm not sure i'll like the handlebar shape tho, I've only ever ridden upright bikes.

>face down, ass up
>that's the way i like to ride
>and be ridden
Yeah, okay

>using proprietary fuel

It's annoying because bianchi frames are always overpriced, I got an amazing deal on this bike ($200 AUD off the retail) linusbike.com.au/products/the-libertine and lowered the handlebars, raised the seat and removed the fenders and use it as a commuter.

>He is too paranoid about people on the internet thinking he is gay to not rice his bike to get as much speed as possible.

Holy shit literally kill yourself

>That's just how most jerseys look
No, it's not. You need to go out of your way to get a jersey with a bunch of logos.

Wait, so cyclists aren't all gay?
Because they all shave their legs.

> live in my country's capital
> bicycle lanes everywhere
> commute by motorcycle most of the time
> stop light
> 90% of cyclists either run the red, go way past the stopping line, go onto the sidewalk and wait at the pedestrian light or cue up in the right car lane next to each other because everyone wants to be first, holding up traffic
> they're all adults who likely have a license (requires lots of training compared to the US)
Pisses me off tbqh
Also filtering. I have nothing against it and do it myself but those cunts just fly through way faster than is safe considering their momentum and high center of gravity, and they squeeze through tight af gaps at almost 30 km/h.
> go visit mum in countryside
> villages connected by dedicated bike roads next to actual road
> spandex-wearing faggots still cycle in car lane and hold everyone up
REEEE

Lol I'd get fined a couple hundred bucks if I tried that. I'm often surprised at how bike messengers get away with how they ride in New York City.

does that helmet protect ya neck?

Why do you fags all have lightweight meme bikes when you sit your 300 pound ass on it anyway.

>projecting your insecurities on others
That's not how you lose weight. Get up and go do something, fatty.

>lightweight meme bikes
I wish. My road bike weights 11 kg.

I know that feel bro.

>Why are cyclists so pretentious?
this is mostly in hamerica though

people in civilised nations do not engage in such behaviour

freds need to go home

no is

>teal
It's called Celeste

Drop bars are actually comfier than flat bars as you have more hand positions. Older brake hoods aren't as comfy as modern ones but they're still decent.

I just want a qt girl to dress me up as a girl and fuck my boipucci. Nothing gay in that. Shaved legs are also comfy as fuck on top of being aero.

As someone who races nothing triggers me more than groups who ride on the road when there is a dedicated bike path next to the road. They're even in better condition than the roads.

72 kg at 183 cm, no need to project.

youtube.com/watch?v=5VAYYpAR6TU

Friendly reminder that cyclists are a danger to themselves and motorists and should be forcibly removed from public roads.

>that
>freds
Just looks like a normal cycling club mate.

Riding clipped in results in a smother ride cause your feet are working on almost 360 degrees instead of 160 or so. Once you try it, you'll know the difference. But I agree some people are just show off fuckwids.

are cyclists colossal faggots in other EU countries/America too? Here in Poland they are worst users of the roads. they completely ignore all road laws drive whatever the hell they want often blocking cars and creating dangerous situations.

Bike rides are the shit! Anyone want to tour southeast asia with me?? I'm leaving in December! yfw watch out for the landmines in Cambodia. The picture is from my last tour across Canada!

They're all kitted out going 15km/hr in the middle of the road

Why are cyclists allowed to violate red lights by riding the crosswalk and pretending to be a pedestrian?

Fucking pick one, are you a car or not?

This is not the appropriate place...
for general bike discussion
for discussing bike routes
for discussing bike repair

"Hand me down" Bianchi 022 with down tube shifters. I love riding this but it really needs an overhaul. Getting pretty dangerous on the down hills...

I could understand them riding on the road if they were actual competitive racing cyclists (they'd be going 50KMPH) but that dude is fucking FAT and super upright.

I weigh 210lbs and ride a steel bike, am losing around 2lb per week through cycling. I probably won't get a super duper lightweight frame because I don't need to go super sanic fast.

It's a nice frame, if you treat her right she'll serve your needs for literally decades.

I totally would if I could afford it!

You're not a vegan are you?

People only obey laws when it's convenient to them.

I'm not vegan but I'd go vegan for tour in SEA.

About once a year there is a huge group of vegans that go training in Thailand.

The frame is in great condition but somehow the brakes are bent, the cables are strechy and the rear wheel adjustment screws are ceased. I also need to find time to redo the bar tape and true the wheels. Very overwhelming for a first time bike owner.

Go on sheldon browns website and watch youtube how tos.

Buy some new break pads and brakes, new cables and screws.

It's honestly easier than any tech shit desu.

Bar tape is cheap too. You can buy it all online.

This.
RJ The Bike Guy is a great channel for anything maintenance on Youtube

Would you recommend a windsor wellington?

Just like driving a hybrid car
"We like to be part of the solution not the probleeeem"
"Here in San Fransisco we are a bit ahead of everyone else"