What is the best laptop in regards to battery life?

What is the best laptop in regards to battery life?

I need to use one for university but I don't want to be one of those cucks who brings extension cords to class for a shitty $400 Acer. I just want something that can provide 8 hours of battery life and isn't too heavy.

you arent going to get an honest decisive answer here

you posted a macbook air so you're learning in that direction

it'll be one of the ones on the list

just get it and enjoy your purchase

Thinkpad x260 it has about 15h on gnooloonix

I don't know about other thinkpads like the olders x220 but maybe they have decent battery life too

Charge your shit before hand and get a 9 cell or larger battery.

What you are looking for is the MacBook with Retina display

Macbook Air. Should be able to get one for $850 after academic discount.
if you're buying used make sure you buy post Haswell (2013 or newer)

Is a Chromebook a possibility for you? Best battery economy on the market right now.

Also, consider the Dell Latitude E-series. It has a port which a second battery can be attached to. I get like 12-15 hours with mine.

they do not.
I have a 26Ah battery bank, at least twice the size of the designed capacity of the builtin battery(which is now at half capacity), and get like four hours under load with both.

The newer the CPU, the better the power savings.
The bigger the battery, the better the life.
the X260 is a perfect storm in that regard.

can i download music on chromebooks?

torrents? actually yes.

Sure.
You can even install linux and be a big boy but Im not sure how the install effects battery life.

You won't have much local storage on memebooks so its not the best option for listening to a wide array of music unless you have a server to stream from or use spotify.

sweet
which would you reccomend

the acpi tables are acutally optimized for linux with chromebooks, so battery life is as good or better.

but yeah, you'd need an SD card more than likely. and one with a reader, obviously, but most do.

I'd one with a good keyboard. Lenovo has those, usually.

Acer Chromebook 14 if you want something that looks the most "MacBook air like", Dell Chromebook 13 if you want glass track pad like a macbook and want the faster broadwell CPU, or HP Chromebook 13 G1 if you want "retina" 3200*1800 resolution.

Most chromebooks should get around 9-10hrs of battery life. There's also a new convertable Chromebook from Acer coming out in a month.

if battery life is of prime concern, then a CB is actually the correct answer (unless money is no object, then you can get whatever latest tablet apple is selling as a laptop... but youll look like an asshat anyway because it only has the 1 port so you wont be able to use it without a bunch of shitty dongles).

most CBs will get 6-8hrs of HEAVY use. light use can reach upwards of 12hrs. and it sleeps very well so you dont have to factor in power loss if its slept.

there are concessions to be made, but it can do plenty of stuff, and it can do the majority of it without a connection (despite popular belief otherwise).

you can run nearly any android app on it using ARC, and ARC will soon be official so you will be able to just go straight to the app store instead of installing it via a package loader.

you can also install another DE and run it alongside ChromeOS if you want more features (youre basically running full linux at this point, but leveraging the drivers already built in). and if you wanna go full freetard you can flash seabios and install linux to bare metal and just use it as a linux laptop. battery life is roughly the same.

the toshiba CB2 is pretty good. if you want to fuck around with linux make sure you get something 2GB or RAM as opposed to less. local storage isnt a big deal as long as you can fit your OS install. you just use SD media for more storage.

Yeah my x220 probably only gets 3 or 4 hours on this chink 9 cell (hoped it would be better because they don't make a 9 cell for the x220T)

The x250 and up get great battery without sacrificing a whole lot of power. I can see myself selling my current one in the future to get one. Either that or a surface tablet for school shit. It hasn't been as good for text books as I initially thought it would be when I decided to go for digital textbooks this semester.

Chrome books are also a good cheaper alternative I believe.

I don't own one myself, but the Asus Transformer CB looks pretty god-tier. Battery life above most other chromebooks, better RAM and CPU than any competition. Only compromise would be in the screen.

Another option is Cruton. It makes a chrooted Ubuntu environment inside your chromeOS install, so you can switch without needing to reboot. Reduces battery life a little, but not enough that I'd worry about it.

to win everything just get an xps 13 with 1920x1080 and an i5.
That would be about 14hrs without any troubles

Download? Yes. No problem.

The issue is the small internal hard drive. If you want to use one offline, I'd recommend cloning your music/movie/ebook/etc library to a Chinkshit flash drive.

yeah chroot was what i was referring to when i said running another DE alongside ChromeOS (which is all chroot really is).

its a much simpler option than wiping and installing full linux.

Ah. Made it sound like you were taking about dual booting. Which is an option, just an objectively shitty one.

hp pavilion 15.6" if you're not a broke nigger

Macbook. hands down.

MacBook Air, chromebook or Asus zenbook ux305. I owe the last one and it's great when it comes to battery life. 7-8 hours with Internet browsing or up to 15 hours with airplane mode when I take notes on lectures. Performance is good, 13" full hd display too. And it costs half of new MacBook 12"

i dont have a zenbook but i was going to recommend that as well. i didnt know realistic battery expectations though.

thats good news. that is basically what i have already decided on as my next laptop when the time comes. i love the design and chassis and the 13.3"-14" range is the sweet spot.

(not OP)

OP, I have a 13" Macbook Air that I've had for over three years now, and it's never, ever let me down. Get it, or get the 2016 Retina Macbook (it benches similarly to my 2013 MBA, has similar battery life, has the same amount of storage and RAM as mine, has a MUCH better display and trackpad, and weighs 30% less), and you'll be happy.

If you get a Retina 12" Macbook, though, make sure it's the 2016 model, because it's 25% faster than the 2015 model and has 1-2 extra hours of battery life.

the MacBook Pro with Retina display

XPS 13

If you want to go cheap and the only thing you're going to do on it is browsing the internets and taking notes, most cheapo Celeron netbooks (29xx, 30xx) will give you 9+ battery hours.

Chromebooks have 8-10 hours battery life.

It will be adequate if you don't work on some special windows/mac based programs(Autocad, Matlab, Photoshop etc)

But for office software, it's good. Google Documents is an amazing thing.

But get a 4GB ram version, 2GB ram isn't enough.

And you won't be sorry if you destroy your laptop or shit gets stolen because it's cheap and your files are on the cloud.

Ps: you can install linux with crouton easily on chromebooks.

X P S 1 3
P
S

This

Also, yoga book will have 12h battery life with windows, it's cherry trail tho.

Also, MBPrs have not bad battery life too

I have an acer ultrabook and get between 6 and 10 hrs of batlife