1.35v required for 4.2ghz overclock

>1.35v required for 4.2ghz overclock
why is broadwell-e so shit?

actually scratch that i just got it down to 1.3v but still

make it smaller they said

do u have autism friendo? it has 6 cores with hyperthreading

nothing to do with broadwell, 14nm is not a great process and generally overclocking ability goes down node to node. The 14+nm node they are making Kaby on and eventually Skylake-X will have much better clocks.

still faster than ANY ayyyymd shitty cpus

>tfw 5960x at 4,5ghz with 1,24v

wut
what does that have to do with the discussion at hand?
go back to shooting palestinians or whatever it is you guys do in your spare time

I am still running an i7-2600K @ stock speeds and even do gaming (BF4, BF1 Beta)

I don't see what reason anyone would have to OC.

I don't see any reason why you bought a K version

>tfw 4690k at 4.45 GHz with 1.26v
Kill me.

4.5ghz on my 4790k @ 1.17v

am content

my 5820k hits 4.7GHz at 1.34v stable enough for benchmarking.

ffffffffffffffffffffffuck you
I would literally pay over retail price for that chip.

Nice gold sample

The process is geared towards lower clocks. Above 3.7ghz you're way above the knee of the curve for clock scaling efficiency.
Just like intel's 22nm Trigate vs their prior 32nm planar process, peak gains were clearly aimed in the frequency range where mobile parts fall.

Its actually kind of miraculous that clock scaling performs as well as it does. Shows what paying for top tier engineering gets you. Watts per clock per core is still considerably low. Not as many golden chips with the 14nm parts though it seems.

It doesn't have "much better" clocks. The top binned Kaby Lake i7 has a 4.2ghz base clock, 4.5ghz turbo.
Thats up from 4ghz and 4.2ghz turbo with Skylake.
Not much of a gain.

batch # was uhh

X438B278

i delidded it and everything, it's under a h110i gt, tempted to push 5ghz.

>I don't see what reason anyone would have to OC.

Compiling gentoo.

so you're paying premium for a mobile like cpu? disgusting.

Do it faggot.
Shame you put it under something with such a flimsy thin radiator, though.

yeah i'd do a custom loop but the h440 is fucking awful in literally every fucking way

not sure if i want to get the enthoo pro m or the define s, or define r5 or something

or if i'd be fine with an open-air case like the source 530.

Don't particularly need a custom loop when pic related exists, essentially composed of parts that would normally go in a custom loop.
Only AIO in the 280/360mm class with a 40mm thick radiator to my knowledge.

There is a huge overlap in the requirements for a well suited mobile chip as well as an enterprise chip.
Both scenarios are heavily dependent on peak efficiency in their power envelope. Aside from different turbo behavior they each call for moderate clocks.
Intel isn't developing foundry IP to push clocks as high as possible. Thats something of an after thought beyond a certain range.

yeah but /aesthetic/

i've been wanting to custom loop for a while. was considering direct-to-die cooling but don't want to risk cracking the chip.

that break in the tubing looks really awful, even though i'm pretty sure it's just a quick disconnect?

but don't worry, i know aios are poop

>i'm pretty sure it's just a quick disconnect?
That's exactly what it is, yes. Supposedly a very good medical-grade one, at that.
I don't think it looks that bad, though. Not in an otherwise colour neutral build, at least.

But still, you could use one as a base for your custom loop with a relatively compact radiator/DDC pump/reservoir combo. It has all standard 3/4" fittings, so swapping the tubing out would be no biggie.

>That's exactly what it is, yes. Supposedly a very good medical-grade one, at that.
It also lets you splice in a connection to a GPU if you want.

This is true, that's the entire point of the thing.
EKWB put the quick disconnects on the Predator AIOs to make it dead simple to add a GPU block to the loop. In addition they're selling all of their GPU blocks with an option to add matching quick disconnects and pre-fill the blocks, which I think is neat as fuck and is essentially the reason I chose this AIO in the first place.
No need to take the whole system apart, just put GPU block on GPU, and put the thing in there using the QDC fittings.

Planning to get a GTX 1070 and include that in the loop sometime within the next few months.

>4790k @ 4.7 ghz/ 1.29 volts

I'm happy with it. Wanted to go to 4.8, but not willing to go over 1.3v for daily use.

i've got my i5-6600K up to 4.5ghz at 1.35v

but i'm a huge pussy and i'm worried that extra .05v will hurt it long term, thinking about taking it back down to 1.3v and seeing where it's stable there

>roughly a bit more than twice the surface area
>will dissipate heat twice as fast
>most motherboards already have the room anyway
why don't they make CPUs physically larger? seems to make more sense all around

there's no demand for more power in desktops, intel will just focus on mobile now.

Mine doesn't want to go over 4.3 without voltages and temps getting scary.

>why don't they make CPUs physically larger?
trace capacity

Man I could slam the voltages right up to 1.4 and be fine on temps, but either my CPU or motherboard is cockblocking me from going any higher than 4.45 GHz at 1.26v.

I'm leaning towards motherboard being the main cause of this, cause my bus speed/BCLK is all fucked and running over 2% slower than it should be.

>why don't they make CPUs physically larger? seems to make more sense all around
Bigger die means less yields per wafer with a higher failure rate, and you can expect that cost to come out of your pocket in the checkout.

By comparison, in mobile phones, qualcomm's snapdragon is smaller than iphone's A-series chips. Or rather, iphone's chips are larger than everyone elses which is part of the reason why the single core performance is so massive on those phones, with their dual-core performance matching and sometimes beating quad-cores. You pay the price at checkout though, obviously being it's applel.

My CPUs just don't seem to want to go over 4.3GHz. I had an FX-6300 before this, which also got unstable if I tried to go over 4.3GHz.

Funnily enough, the only truly beastly overclocking chip was a locked Athlon II X4 620, which I got to run at 3.5 without problems, all through FSB overclocking. That thing's standard speed's 2.6GHz.

So the 5820k is a better choice if you are going to OC?

generally, if you only want to OC to 4GHz level, get broadwell-e if you want to OC past 4GHz, get Haswell-e. Broadwell has a 5-8% performance advantage at the same clockspeed. So once you go past 4.2-4.3GHz the 5820k starts becoming a bit quicker.

I wish EKWB would sell pre-filled radiators with quick disconnects, would make my life so much easier

>DDR3

Oh yeah, that would be awesome too.
Maybe not for the bigger radiators, but I'm sure the Predator's pump could handle another 120mm radiator and GPU block at least.

i7 4790k @ 4.9 GHz 1.3V

Bought it binned and delidded later. I can get 5 GHz stable for everything else than extreme benchmarks such as Prime95 with 1.35V but I'll rather not because of the temp increase and minimal gain in performance.

That's nuts.

Oh man, FSB overclocking back in the day.
I actually went straight from a beast of a Core 2 Quad to my current 4690k.

The C2Q was a Q9400, with 2.66 GHz stock speed. I managed to get 3.9 GHz stable on the thing, with 4 x 2GB DDR2 running 1:1 with the FSB. Those were the days.
Funnily, my RAM was cockblocking the CPU, they wouldn't go over 975 MHz.
I tried slapping the CPU in a friend's rig with more OC-friendly RAM and we reached 4.3 GHz on the Q9400. Thing was an absolute madman. Sadly I don't remember what kind of voltages we ended up with.

why do you need these powerful CPUs Sup Forums?

>need
As if it was ever a question about need. People want them for whatever use they see fit on a personal computer.

>My face when I hit 4.5 ghz at 1.28v and 4.8 at 1.33v with a 6700k.

I don't know what problems you guys are having.

So I hear you guys like high vcores?
Check out mine

...How has your house not burned down yet?

You're actually a fucking idiot.

How the fuck does .05v go un-noticed. You can get a much better overclock, you're just to stupid.

>medical grade coupling
>for gayming
kek

the sheer force of memes is the only reason I still live

Feeling hax0r

So you destroy your processor before Jewtel comes out with another socket. Fuck who am I kidding? You'd have to run that bitch at 12V to accomplish that.

>not wanting to shave off seconds from workloads
Do you even care about time bro?

I feel OC'ing will significantly degrade my CPU's lifespan. It needs to last me at least 5-6 years. At 4.4ghz, the temps were spiking between 45~55C. At 4ghz, the temps are a steady 20~30C. I barely noticed a difference, so I don't think it's worth it.

tfw my i7 6700k only reaches 4.34 GHz at 1.35v

>use CPU for 5 years
>OC it until it breaks
>???
>profit!

>OC it until it breaks
the point im making is that I don't think it'll last 5 years if it's OC'd and running 24/7 @ 60C temps.

also higher cpu temps = higher overall case temps.

4.4 @ 1.22V here

do you want water leaks in your case?

Stable enought for benchmarking what? Unusable CPU that crashes time to time? :D

Meaning it can do encodes, and benchmarks, but trying to run P95 or similar will crash it.

I run at 4.4GHz @1.27v for my 24/7 OC.

Stable in everything. I have had over 20 days of uptime with it at that clockspeed.

4,6 GHz at default voltage here

lets see a CPU-z screenshot while you are stressing the CPU

$20 says it's using auto voltage and it's just setting itself to use over 1.35v because stock voltage is generally around 1.20 to 1.28v

I think a better motherboard might have let me get away with lower voltage.

>1.4v

enjoy killing your CPU.

Like that?

still running

Yup, that's well over 1.35v. Auto voltage =/= stock voltage.

>1.376v

Yeah, anything over 1.35v is considered potentially damaging to the long term life of the CPU.

Like I said, your motherboard is just auto adjusting the voltage, you aren't running stock voltage.

Thanks. I get a free replacement if it dies anyways.

I'm not into overclocking usually.
But since I own the unlocked version, I wanted to give it a shot

Nothing wrong with that, but you should manually set your voltage as running it over 1.35v is potentially problematic.

I run my 5820k at 1.27v and 4.4GHz.

if you set yours to 4.5GHz you can probably set your voltage to 1.28 or 1.3v

Thanks for the tipp.
When I'm actually in need to overclock the default 4,00Ghz, I'll do it like you said