Apple and DRM Courage

Digital audio means DRM audio

For years the entertainment industry has decried what they call the "analog loophole" of headphone jacks, and now we’re making their dreams come true by closing it.

Restricting audio output to a purely digital connection means that music publishers and streaming companies can start to insist on digital copyright enforcement mechanisms. We moved our video systems to HDMI and got HDCP, remember? Copyright enforcement technology never stops piracy and always hurts the people who most rely on legal fair use, but you can bet the music industry is going to start cracking down on "unauthorized" playback and recording devices anyway... you will rue the day Apple decided to make the iPhone another 1mm thinner the instant you get a "playback device not supported" message.

[Nilay Patel - Verge article]

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lgaBJagQA1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nice meme

thanks RIAA

BLACKED

So what? The hole is still there. Just open the iEarbuds and replace the speakers with cables to your favorite recorder.
If I can hear it, I can make a copy of it.

your tinfoil hat is on a little too tight

Make a copy of what you're hearing with what? Listen to it with what?

Mind you the Chinese analog headphones you ordered from the internet will get confiscated by customs for not meeting standards as specified by international antipiracy treaty x.

The muzzling of the internet is within hands reach and internet users will go out to buy the muzzle themselves.

oh, look. just like when they put ridiculously weak drm into the itunes music score to appease the music industry, they included a drm defeating cable into the box.

you're fucking stupid.

Yeah, digital is a fucking meme, we get that. Can we talk about how black the black folk were in the Apple keynote?
Like legit, they were too black to be even considered human beings. They legit looked like the alien from Under the Skin. It was uncanny how black they were.
Not even a Sup Forumsfag conspiracist or a racist, they just looked /too/ black, you know?

Good luck enforcing that in Eastern Europe

>We moved our video systems to HDMI and got HDCP, remember

Speak for yourself. I use SCART for my TV and VGA to this day.

You're an idiot.

First of all, there are still, and probably always will be, analog adapters for digital ports.

Second, you only need the "analog loophole" to RIP music, not to listen to music that has been so ripped. This means that, as long as one dedicated guy somewhere has something with an analog jack, it gets uploaded and we all get it.

Third, Apple has done a lot to enable grey-market media. iBooks reads epub, iTunes sells DRM-free files and accepts whatever shitty MP3 you toss into it. In fact, if you pay $25/year (not month, *year*) for iTunes Match, it'll even upgrade those shitty MP3s to the best-quality copy iTunes offers.

To reiterate: You're as dumb as a bag of alt-rightists.

I'm ok with drm because I don't pirate music

I'm sure they chose the models they did for aesthetic reasons. You've got an all white piece of hardware against a dramatically black skin tone. It just creates interest on a visual level, especially if you're not used to seeing a person who has a skin tone that dark.

Also
>thread about digital audio and DRM
>Can we talk about how black the black folk were in the Apple keynote?
>they were too black to be even considered human beings
>Not even a Sup Forumsfag
yeah okay

there are hdmi to vga adapters, but they dont pass protected content.
also, your iPhone(C) know what device you have inserted.
eg: it can allow you to use Apple(R) Lightning(C) AssBuds(C), but it can forbid you to use Apple(R) Analog Adapter when jewed content is played

>I'm okay with banning free speech because I don't exercise it

Reminder that paying customers are the ones who suffer most from DRM.

I don't care.

I'm not a NEET. I paid for everything I have. Looks like the fun is over for you freetards. Good. Time to do something with your life and be productive. You'll thank Apple for it, I guarantee it.

I agree about DRM, such as in video games, where it ruins the experience of paying customers. However, this doesn't. At all. What you think them blocking the HDMI recording thing is a bad thing? I didn't even know that existed. You know why? Because I don't fucking steal content, you mongoloid.

Everything is moving towards streaming. So, I doubt many people will even care or notice regardless. Not like you can't just listen to everything for free anyways. For example, Spotify.

>I agree about DRM, such as in video games, where it ruins the experience of paying customers.

How does it ruin "the experience"? They get what they paid for.

SimCity required to be always online. They said it had to be online, but all that you needed to make it work offline was a single line of code.

Diablo 3's error 37.

Assassin's Creed logging in to Ubisoft server... Forever...

Grand Theft Auto IV's GFWL DRM that literally broke the game after GFWL was ended. Which you could fix thanks to Sup Forumsentlemen who made a dll, but it permanently broke multiplayer.

Need for Speed DRM on top of being engine locked at 30 FPS. Not like anyone cares because the last good iteration was Underground 2.

The announcement of the Xbox One. Remember that? It was so bad they literally had to change it. And even AFTER it hurt them so badly that they're still trying to recover. Seems like they will now due to how awful the PS4 Pro is.

Far Cry 2 having DRM that limits to five activations.

Spore's DRM.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory DRM was one of my favorites. Had to literally unplug my optical drive. Still was able to crack it though... AND play online with a random key I found on some website. Only issue was if the person with the same key joined it would kick you out. Guess that DRM was totally for fucking nothing. Didn't even protect multiplayer. Which I'm sure they were fine with anyways since they couldn't profit off of it.

Just a few examples for you. The Witcher 3 did it perfectly. That's what companies should do. And they actually had something valuable to protect. A real piece of art. Not some shitty game they slap DRM on to like most companies.

Also, all the stupid fucking software you have to install. Origin, Uplay, etc. just to play the game on top of Steam. Not to mention making an account for said platform. I'm really thankful I stopped being a gaymer manchild. Whole fucking piece of shit community is cancer on top of the people that sell you the products being just as bad and taking advantage of the neckbeards. Oh well live and learn. Chaos Theory was amazing times though. Especially coop.

oh yeah, HDMI totally killed video piracy

Let's(C) make(R) up(T) shit(F) about(G) Apple(A) that(Z) suits(P) our(Q) agenda(M)!(;)

I don't care about free speech and freedom of religion and freedom from religion they can remove them and make USA into a Christian fascist dictatorship where everyone else are put in to extermination camps

Not an argument.

It's over people. First it was the jews. Now it's the music, then our own lives as well. You won't be able to listen to your memecore, only Christina Aguilera.

Police all around the world, especially in 1st world countries can't even enforce antidrug laws.
Where I live piracy is basically legal, you can download all the shit you want and nobody can say to you anything, also police has its problems tracing serious identity thieves, let alone seeders.
Not everyone lives in that shitty police state ran by corporations called USA, I'm just waiting for them to say I can't buy something in this free market.
They can try doing whatever they want, the best thing we can do is ignore them, if someone download a song is a criminal, if millions of people download billions of songs is the norm and there's nothing they can do about it.
Meanwhile I pay Spotify premium cause I think they can have my money for a good service. But that's not the point.

it's the first step.. just like I can't watch anything on iTunes now on my external monitor, not even trailers.

DRM is a bitch and I hope apple goes bankrupt within 5 years

smoking that good rock str8 out one

Can anyone explain to me who this guy is? I see him a lot. Is he bad, good, an extra dank meme?

well, he makes youtube videos. got popular for shutting up people with "not an argument".. so it became a meme

youtube.com/watch?v=lgaBJagQA1s

some of his videos are pretty good though

Still not an argument.

Not a reply!

It is a reply. But not an argument.

I remember the first time a movie refused to play on Xbox because my internet was down. There are troubling times ahead, just wait till other devices and products gets DRM.

>internet is down
>nothing to do
>lets watch a movie

NOPE! LOL

>Copyright enforcement technology never stops piracy
He's wrong already.

This is a dumb argument because they can just as easily enforce DRM without digital headphones. You realize the signal has to be digital in the first place to even leave the computer, so it has always been digital, the new headphones changes nothing.

I spoke of this the very day Intel announced audio through USB c and when the first rumours cane out if no 3.5mm jack lol

music is not free goy.. someone has to pay those talented artists for creating it

>You won't be able to listen to your memecore, only Christina Aguilera.
Nothing wrong with Christie, she released a dubstep song 14 years before it became mainstream.