I understand that these are really overpriced as it is and it isn't sensible to buy one for general use...

I understand that these are really overpriced as it is and it isn't sensible to buy one for general use... but if I did get a base model, how many years can I expect to get out of it for basic shitposting and occasional photo work?

Other urls found in this thread:

512pixels.net/2016/06/sierras-new-system-requirements/)
dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IuW3HuzYWsw
pcpartpicker.com/list/w94GPs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably 5+ years. You can't expect much more than that as apple might drop support for it for whatever reason.

Why not just get an iMac for photo, especially since the high-res screen will help that.

Way cheaper, too.

why did they ditch the good old mac pro design anyway? that trashcan looks awful

>glossy
>not even remotely close to 100% adobe rgb
>not hardware calibratable
that screen is not at all suited for photo work

Is this real?

I though this was a le into the trash meme??

>workstation computer
>ALL ports on the back
why

there is no back, m8

deep

The Mac Pro is severely outdated. You shouldn't get one for whatever purpose.
Maybe if you get a great deal on refurbished or used, but even then…

OP here, would buying the older one (4.1 or 5.1) off ebay and possibly upgrading it be a better idea?

The only reason you should get this garbage can is if you live in a very tiny space while still having a lot of money to waste.

"innovation"

hey, where's that poster that says "Apple is the trendsetter"

I still use my ten year old Mac Pro. It actually performs faster than my Windows machine in a lot of tasks.

yeah, except the ten year old mac pro was able to vent heat

There is that, and it was a hell of a lot more expandable.

this, but then just drop osx and install ubuntu

My 2011 base model MBP is still going strong and being supported in every sense, idk what you mean.

it had very nice compartmentalization

Those are still pretty expensive used. How do they stack up to the latest MacBook pro?

Look at the models that won't get macOS Sierra.

ahh the time when apple was still an underdog and made comfy computers

yeah, during the Flash 3.0 era when Macromedia was young

I've seen originals go for as little as 250$. I'd pay that just to gut it and have an amazingly well built case with excellent airflow.

>says apple might drop support some time after 5 years
>But my barely five years old machine still has support!

>Mountaion Lion in 2012 has new requirements
>requirements stay the same until macOS Sierra drops support for older macs (change in support: 512pixels.net/2016/06/sierras-new-system-requirements/)
>Apple provides security updates for the most recent version and the previous two (example, current: El Capitan, last two: Yosemite and Mavericks)
>A MBP released in mid/late 2007 will continue to receive security updates if it's on El Capitan until Fall 2018.

11 years of support for those macs. And plenty others made my Apple get long support periods. 11 years which is equal to the support that microsoft is providing for computers using Windows 7.

Glossy is better for photo work desu senpai

I don't get why no one ever made a rip-off of the case? It's a really amazing design. I can't believe that apple scrapped it for that fucking trashcan.

so it'd be smaller

yeah, I wrote nec about a hundred times that they finally need to make a glossy version of the spectraview series but they just won't listen. same with eizo

It's ugly.

Lian Li made some cases that had a similar look, but no handles.

Considering I'm using a base model iMac from 2008, you should get a good amount of use from it.

2016 - 2011 = 5

Here's a way to get Sierra on unsupported macs: dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

>Ignoring this post which BTFO of your arguments

To fit in with the integrated design meme of all their other products

The 2013 MP was outdated even soon after it launched. It still used V2 Xeons (Ivy bridge), which didn't have the more advanced turbo boost of Haswell, which launched just a few months later. V2 Xeons trade clock speed for core count on a way that prevents the bigger chips from reaching high clocks, compared to Haswell, which could hit 3.6Ghz on every chip up to 18 cores if you weren't doing a task that was well threaded. With Ivy you'd be stuck at 2.3~2.6Ghz or so with the 12-core regardless of workload.

The GPUs are just utter shit and whoever designed that architecture should be noosed retroactively. If you had anything other than the dual-D700 option, the GPUs couldn't communicate with each other (no crossfire) and Apple didn't even release an API to let developers make use of both of them!! Final Cut X was literally the only program that reliably made use of the dual graphics, because only Apple knew how the GPUs worked.

Some people managed to get a Titan X into one and get it to work.

Kill yourself

Got any pics?

That PC was a heavy beast that got full of dust. It had a proprietary power cable and a processor that was soldered to the main board.

Linkworld made one, this is the 431-06.

>literally a trashcan
How is this even remotely A E S T H E T I C?

I think he meant the PC-V1000L, which I think is kinda cheap looking, certainly on the inside.

dude, its running 2013 cpu with a 2012 GPU. buy the imac 5k instead, its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better

>Has the ventilation grill from the G5
>Doesn't use it, so has extra vents on the side.
>Floppy drive
wow.....

I have a good monitor/keyboard already tho

>having to resort to Hackintosh tactics to install OS X on genuine Macs
>Wi-Fi doesn't work

kek

>not even remotely close to 100% adobe rgb
It's not 1998 anymore; Nobody gives a shit about print. It has 100% of the gamut for production video

>implying screen calibration does not matter for video

yeah, who the hell prints anything anymore?

DCI-P3 is slightly larger than Adobe RGB

if you're talking about rec 907 which in turn is from 1990, then yeah

it's really far from dci p3 and rec 2020 is not even considerable

wtf does that have to do with anything?

if you buy the trashcan mac in 2016 youre an idiot.

Looks like a cigarette butt butter

Never implied that, retard.

Implying most of the labels weren't created on a mac.

this.

The wireless Mac keyboard is a steaming pile of shit, you won't miss not using it. Also, no reason you can run dual monitors with the iMac.

>hurr not being to calibrate monitor doesn't matter since it's all for video anyways
>no, i didn't imply screen calibration doesn't matter for video

wat

How's the 4K 21.5 iMac? I don't really have the desk space for a 27

You're out of your league, bro. Just stop.

You can't calibrate a monitor with a limited gamut to have a larger one, that's "downloading more RAM"-tier humor. Please educate yourself.

>calibrating monitor is about making it have large gamut

>won't actually explain what he is saying when they're obviously contradictory but resorts to ad hominem

kys

It has been covered in the thread. reread.

>calibrating monitor is about making it have large gamut
Do you posses any reading comprehension? I implied the opposite, because it was you or whoever was that thought calibration correlated with being able to display a wide gamut. Please, you're not trolling, you're only making yourself seem clinically retarded.

>how many years can I expect to get out of it for basic shitposting and occasional photo work?
It depends what "simple photo work" is to you, what tools you use and how you use them.

But for web surfing? Unless the web finds a way to bloat itself out even more than the capabilities of a mid-range Xeon can provide for, 10 years easy.

Only the PowerPCs, the later Intel ones were socketed

>apple might drop support for it for whatever reason

some support articles for the current model are 'archived' because apple won't update the articles anymore.

jonsbo makes similar cases

>2012 GPU
AKA around the time GPUs started to suck for double precision performance.

Why do you think that you can't calibrate an iMac display?

look at all those industry standard expansion ports that can accept non-apple hardware

absolutely disgusting

>AKA around the time nvidia GPUs started to suck for double precision performance.

AMD are still ok-ish at them. Gotten worse, but not as gimped as nvidia.

the problem is that the current mac pro is essentially a 2013 model. apple hasn't bumped the specs since the original release... and hasn't dropped the price, either.

Doesn't the RX480 do like 1/32?

I wonder if that's because it's too expensive to engineer and fabricate new hardware updates every year or two.

it does 5161 gflops single and 323 gflops double. (~1/16)

Titan X does 10157 gflops single and 317 double. (~1/32)

So the 480x has 2x better DP to SP ratio than nvidia's flagships

(all speeds non boost. Source: wikipedia)

1/16 is still terrible compared to the 1/5 and 1/4 they were doing previously. An R9 280 has more than double the FP64 performance of an RX480. Even the FirePros are terrible until you get to the W8100. I get that NVIDIA wants to push Tesla, but what is AMD doing?

apple manages to consistently do it for the iphone.

there is a general lack of focus from apple on it's computer hardware. the only model bumped in the current calendar year is the macbook, the only other model bumped in the past year is the imac.

That's cause the idevices give the largest revenue. You really can't neglect that portion of development and as such other products will have to suffer. I'm wondering that at the current moment they have spread their engineering department a bit too much or there's just not enough workers for the Mac team.

Didn't Silverstone make a better version of this?

My 2006 Mac Pro is still my daily driver, you're likely to get at least 5 years. When Apple drops support Windows will continue to run as well.

You're talking about the G5, the Mac Pro uses a regular ass power cable and socketed Xeons.

>When Apple drops support Windows will continue to run as well
This, Xeon 5150 2.66 is straight up sex on Windows 7.

You should do this, but make sure you get a dual-CPU model. You can then use 1333MHz RAM (stock they only came with 1066MHz) and insert a pair of used 6 core Xeons.

See also: youtube.com/watch?v=IuW3HuzYWsw

The Mac Pro 6,1 (trashcan) has been almost 1000 days since it's changed at all. Either they're planning a refresh (along with refreshed Macbooks) very soon or they're just going to abandon it like the Xserve. Just avoid it.

>I have a good monitor
Whatever monitor you have, I find it highly unlikely it's anywhere near as good as the 5k iMac monitor.

Nehalem is still a beast, the single core performance even on a 2.26 better than my FX8350, and you can have dual 3.46 6 cores, which is ridiculous.

Yeah, the 1,1 even runs 10 beautifully (You pretty much have to use hacked installers to get 64-bit Windows on it though). I tricked mine into running El Capitan and Windows 10 is arguably smoother. It is Windows though, so I don't, but it is telling.

>this, but then just drop osx and install any linux distro other than ubuntu
fify

The most expensive garbage can that I ever saw.

>buying macshit in the first place

>tfw a pcpartpicker with random ass pricy parts, a big ass PCIe SSD and a Xeon 2697v2 is still cheaper than a decked out mac pro.

pcpartpicker.com/list/w94GPs

you right

>It had a proprietary power cable
it's not proprietary, the IEC 320 standard has more than just the C13 plug, the C19 used in the G5 is also common in high-end servers

>and a processor that was soldered to the main board
the boards were never sold standalone, why would they add more failure points and cost to them with a socketed CPU, where upgrades are a placebo and have been for decades anyway?

that isn't even remotely similar other than the port placement and the fact that it's aluminum...

...and that's all it is, a bland, shitty block of aluminum that sacrifices even more function for less form than what it allegedly is a clone of

Hmm... Seems more aesthetically pleasing than most other cases I've seen.

it is probably one of the better fridge cases I guess but there's still just nothing to it (not that the edge-to-edge mesh meme is any better)

it just doesn't feel right

I'm still using mine. It's pretty great despite for the fact that I can't SLI 2 hueg cards in it.

85% failure rate, enjoy your trash can.

>Probably 5+ years.
Nigger, there are people running G3s and OS9. You can use it until it dies if you want to that badly.

Why do you want a trash can to shitpost? You can use your toilet.

Please Apple update the Mac Pro, please.

I'm begging you.

>glossy is better for photos, too! see! my associate in arts goes pretty far these days

Stop.