/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/openvpn.html.
distrowatch.com/
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4lzxs3/why_did_archlinux_embrace_systemd/d3rhxlc
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch01.en.html
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31164
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Gentoo

Working sound output on Linux systems?
That's pretty interesting because I've been using Linux for the better part of five years.

Here's a challenge for you: install a working system-wide equalizer. Hard mode: do it without PA.

First for smeagol

>Here's a challenge for you: install a working system-wide equalizer. Hard mode: do it without PA.
Pretty easy, there's alsa-equal.

dem trips

>Here's a challenge for you: install a working system-wide equalizer. Hard mode: do it without PA
So hard

>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***
The biggest meme ever.

Why is the community so toxic about distro choices?

Because only broken faggot autists use Loonix desktop to begin with

Mircosoft shills strike again.

It's not only distro choice, see zsh vs bash, etc. People are just insecure and bait for approvement (mostly underage people where the penis is not fully grown; this also explains why the Arch communty usually is the loudest when it comes to seeking for approvement).

Is it worth upgrading to 4.7?

Anyone experienced setting up openvpn? I've set it up on my VPS with tun enabled following this guide help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/openvpn.html. I've also opened up ports in iptables using these rules:
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -p udp --dport 1194 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i tun+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -o eth0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o tun+ -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -A OUTPUT -o tun+ -j ACCEPT

But when trying to connect from windows I get the following error. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I'm almost certain the server is working. Any tips?
MANAGEMENT: TCP Socket listening on [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
Need hold release from management interface, waiting...
MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
MANAGEMENT: CMD 'state on'
MANAGEMENT: CMD 'log all on'
MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold off'
MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold release'
Socket Buffers: R=[65536->65536] S=[65536->65536]
UDPv4 link local: [undef]
UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]Removed:1194
MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1473705775,WAIT,,,
TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

Tried from a linux virtual machine and it also gets the timeout.

Is it alright if I ask the common wich distro should I use question or should I do so somewhere else?

Why is desktop linux pure garbage when it comes to configure the system from a gui? I'm especially looking at you KDE.

is there anything special i need to do to get the vlc browser plugin to be incorporated into iceweasel after i install it, or will it automatically be plugged in?

You are going to be bombarded with personal opinions and very little useful comparison.

What is it you want from the system?

debian is maximum comfy. debian's like the best mix between not being a pleb and just werking. the only thing that didn't work for me right away was that jessie didn't have sudo for some reason so had to install it

>pure garbage when it comes to configure the system from a gui?
As if Windows would not be garbage. Face it, configuring system through gui is always shit.

I want an empty distro that doesnt come with a lot of stuff I dont use. I remember a distro I installed that came with stuff like libre office and such, just a lot of stuff that makes it messy.

There are "minimal" ISO's of many distributions in that case which will just install core packages really.

At this point it becomes, mostly, a choice of package manager and software philosophy, although there are a few quirky choices too.

Windows at least have some consistency. Using linux on desktop feels worse than a pre-alpha windows experience. For example I wanted to check what my local IP number was. I could not find that out from the GUI in KDE. I had to resort to using ifconfig, grep and awk.

Curious why the desktop experience was so shit I found out that network manager doesn't start by default which was why the GUI failed to even recongize that there were other network options than mounting a SMB share. Windows may be shit etc but at least it's somewhat logical. You want network settings? Press network. It just works.

In linux you want network settings from GUI? Google it, troubleshoot it, edit config file, manually start it. It's like there is zero QC because everyone falls back to the console because everyone knows the desktop experience is shit.

Is there a place where I can read about these "minimal" distributions or maybe like a list of them? Like advantages of x over y and why y could fit better in another environment?

if you're not willing to learn and use the terminal i agree, you shouldn't even try to use linux because you're going to fail

distrowatch.com/

This could be a good start. Other anons may be able to recommend other resources too

>At this point it becomes, mostly, a choice of package manager and software philosophy, although there are a few quirky choices too.
the truth right here

>Face it, configuring system through gui is always shit.
A desktop machine I expect to configure from gui. This is how my ideal workflow with a fresh OS is:
1. install desktop OS
2. follow simple guide with few options. Many distros got this now
3. base system should offer to configure network etc from a gui and it should be built up in a logical manner with sensible names. No guesswork, having to install extra utilities or google to achieve a simple task to configure the system.
4. No freezing or crashing gui programs.

Desktop linux simply fails step 3 to 4. The only sensible desktop linux experience is Android and that is sad.
I have several VPS and I configure and administrate all of them with vim and bash scripts. I'm not afraid of the command line. My point is I should not have to resort to use the command line for the desktop version. I rather not use the keyboard at all.

Go and add a second, static IP to a Network device running DHCP in Windows.

then i guess you should either use windows/ios at home or make a linux distro with a better gui

Thank you! As there are 1000 recources saying 100000 different things, approved recources will be useful

Can you not change Icons on MATE?

I am not using the actual Ubuntu_MATE ISO but I installed ubuntu-MATE core etc

how do you deal with spaces in filenames? tried quotes around the entire thing and it didnt work

>distrowatch.com/
This website needs to be removed from the web finally. I just leads thousands of newfags to install the most popular distros instead of high quality distros. (see the popularity of Mint)

I agree, newbies need some sort of GUI config tools. That's why stuff like Linux Lite should be promoted more.

What site would you recommend for information instead?

what are you trying to do user?

I mean you could just Google it and find a variety of articles with various opinions, or reddit discussions, or possibly archived /fglt/ threads.

You'll find a wide variety of answers and no consensus overall because everyone has different tastes, priorities, and experiences (not to mention different hardware and software preferences). Also because every distro has pros and cons.

Just try out the most popular ones (or whatever interests you) and see which works best for your hardware and your preferences. Distrowatch has decent summaries of every distro on their site, and general popularity stats (just based on clicks on their site).

Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, or Manjaro (or derivatives of these) should all be pretty simple to install and use as a beginner. They're all pretty widely used and generally accepted to be good.

If you care about freedom, then use Debian or any these: gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

If you want to do something more advanced or have more control over your system (which is usually time consuming and involved), you should probably go with Gentoo or any source-based distro.

Also some people really like Arch, maybe you're one of them. Nothing wrong with that.

i genuinely like secret clubs though. it doesn't affect me if 15 year old install mint and quit linux because its so shit

horriblesubs filenames all have spaces in them and i want to be able to use the terminal to move them to my anime folder after deluge finishes downloading them

>If you care about freedom, then use Debian
No longer true thanks to systemd fanboyism. Devuan offers the choice of installing other init systems.

Fuck this. Even idiots should be allowed to have freedom and a good operating system.

Systemd is free software. The discussion is about philosophy and init system structure, not about freedom.

From memory but
control panel->network and internet connections->open adaptder->properties->ipv4 properties->advanced->add ip

Linux GUI? No fucking idea because it's probably not possible unless I write the tool myself.

In windows I don't have to think. If I want to change a setting there is a GUI for it. In linux I'd have to google it, fall back to terminal and read a long manpage because the developer never bothered making sane defaults.

>make a linux distro with a better gui
I guess this is why there is no good desktop distro.

Looks decent. Let's hope they don't revamp the entire interface every other year.

systemd is free software licensed under the LGPL

Either use "" or '' or escape spaces with \, e.g.
mv foo\ bar desu
mv "foo bar" desu
mv 'foo bar' desu

maybe use a batch renamer like renameutils or GPRename to remove the spaces, or use strong quotes in your scripts

>control panel->network and internet connections->open adaptder->properties->ipv4 properties->advanced->add ip

Sorry, but that won't work.

To get rid of normalfag spaces:
rename -v 's/ /_/g' *
How to move files:
$ mv partoffilename[TAB]* ~/weebshot/animu/

please don't start the apologetics, depriving the freedom to choose an init was not a good idea by Debian, and systemd itself takes your freedom away by requesting software developers to depend more and more from it

i could've sworn i did the "___.ext" correctly but i guess not. thanks

nobody stops you from using a different init system on debian, devuan just makes it easy during install
less convinience doesnt mean depriving freedom

>dhcp
OK but why would you need another local IP for the same adapter on a desktop computer?

mv *.mkv ~/anime/ or just use tab complete and * if there are mkv's you want to stay put.

A hint for newfagging:
If you want to know what woulkd happen if you run a command, replace the command with "echo", so instead of

mv foo* ~/anime

run

echo foo* ~/anime

I needed it to be able to communicate with a device in a different net, so adding an IP from that net seemed to be an easy way to do it. (Since this is a short, basic command on Linux, it couldn't be hard on Windows I thought)
End of story was that I had to google it anyway since the oh-so-great GUI wasn't really helpful.

Opensuse Leap 4 and something

Installed Nvidea drivers. Now tty1-tty6 are fucked up ― giant fonts that take half of the screen.
Setting fonts as smaller ones make giant letters become large and unreadable.

Have been fighting with this thing for a couple of hours. I don't know what to do

>calling people "fag"

>don't start with the apologetics
I'm not, I'm just stating a fact. Systemd is free software.
>depriving the freedom to choose an init was not a good idea by Debian
Then feel free to use Devuan. I have no issues with it and I expect/hope it'll continue to work perfectly fine for years to come.
>systemd itself takes your freedom away by requesting software developers to depend more and more from it
Sure, people depend on it and I don't agree with stuff like GNOME requiring libsystemd, for example, but the primary reason for systemd is to make things easier for developers, which in turn allows them to work on more important things than the init process.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because again I don't agree with everything systemd is about, but read this comment by a maintainer of Arch's pre-systemd init system (idk if he's still maintaining):
reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4lzxs3/why_did_archlinux_embrace_systemd/d3rhxlc

I have three scripts, script1, script2, and scrpt2.sh. when I use ./scrpt2.sh anywhere I Put it it says this user doesnt have permission. use it with sudo, it doesnt even know what im talking about(command not found). Same issues with the others.
select 'run in konsole' from dolphin, and it says it cant find the script it just tried to execute and tells me to check my profile.
Is this ubuntus fault? Is it time to just install debian? I have the netinst USB right here.
tl;dr linux pretending my scripts dont real, jews did this y/n?

I have less of an issue with Archfags signing on board but I still can't for the life of me understand why Debian jumped onto it.

run 'chmod +x file.sh' and then try and run the scripts

Thank you. Now I just get errors related to the actual content of the script to deal with.

What the other guy said but also you might want to put the directory they are in in to your $PATH. You can put this in your ~/.bashrc
export PATH="$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin"

Or wherever you put them.

>muh commandline is superior
I'm not arguing that the command line is quite powerful. I'm arguing that it's quite different from having to install a network manager and ensure it's running to even see if your Ethernet interface is connected in a GUI. I don't want to have to deal with a command line on my desktop. It should just work out of the box which windows actually fufills.

All these fucking linux experts arguing how superior the command line is over a GUI but yet no one can even give a little feedback to this. Fuck you all.

we won't help you out if you begin insulting us. it's possible we're not too sure on your issue or have no experience in it, and we don't want to make your situation worse by telling you information on a subject we're not too confident on

>having to install a network manager and ensure it's running to even see if your Ethernet interface is connected in a GUI.

I could add that to my GUI without Network Manager, though I don't see the point in doing so

Also, I rather use CLI than clicking through some unknown GUI.

first time using debian, what should i do command-line wise to get good

know your way around apt. don't use apt-get for installing software, just use apt. for updating, run 'apt update' then 'apt-get dist-upgrade'

>don't know how to do a thing
>everyone always has like three awesome command line entries to do it and give blowjobs

How do I get like this? Is there some book people read and try all different commands to know what to do?

>inb4 500 page bash book

you'll perhaps want to look into a secondary distro to use just incase things don't go your way.
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch01.en.html

>it's the one guy who doesn't answer questions and links the first page of a faq

It's not like any of you have the competence to help to begin with. If you had you would already have answered. So fuck off.

if you don't bother to search the things you need to know before asking questions, not much i can do for you other than give a place to fall back to

Thanks!

2 pepecoinz have been deposited in your dank wallet.

>hey guys can you help me solve my problem
>wow wtf you're all incompetent why did i come here

>buy generic 10$ USB gamepad
>play with it for years on windows
>try a PS1 emulator on Linux
>find out that the gamepad has that rumble thing which makes it shake

Real neato. This didn't work on Windows.

>tfw broadcom 43142
>fedora 24
Not even downloading Non-Free drivers for Fedora 24 for x86_64 from the RPMfusion doesn't work

What wizardy is this?

Yeah I know. It's just like visiting any other linux forum filled with incompetent self important fucks.

well if you're so good :^)

>I still can't for the life of me understand why Debian jumped onto it
I guess you're just retarded then, because I gave you plenty of reason why they would.

I guess you're a prickly autistic faggot who can't hear the sound of his own voice like 99.95% of people in these threads.

When I installed Fedora 24 with the default Gnome spin, everything could be configured easily from the GUI. Pretty much the only thing lacking was multimedia codecs.

With software centre your average user might never even need to open the terminal.

My neighbors are having sex right now, which makes me feel uncomfortable. Is there a way to fix this using Linux?

I have a zsh question

Why does it sometimes truncate command options like the bottom of pic related, even if they have detailed manpage descriptions and how do I fix that?

Blast it with NSA
aplay < /dev/urandom

>I have a zsh question
This isn't reddit.

forgot image

Yes you can, what's wrong?

>your distro doesn't matter, they said
>a bunch of shit doesn't fucking work or has random obscure dependencies based entirely on distros

Okay so I happen to be a drooling retard when it comes to making an OS install from a flash drive. I am currently using debian, what would I need to do to create a flash drive installer of Windows 7? the dd method using the command line didn't end up working for me. Thanks in advance!

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31164

thanks user!

Fedora uses the terminal to update, though. It even reminds you to do it.

I think you can also update fedora itself through gnome software center but I might be wrong.

>writes a tiling window manager
>does it in fucking haskell
Why?

Seagate vs WD for running a server 24/7? Unless there are cheaper and better alternatives.

>Not using a proper DE