>Linux doesn't need defragging

When will this meme end?

it doesn't need defragmenting because it's a journaling filesystem

that doesn't mean it doesn't fragment or can't be defragmented, only that fragmentation doesn't affect read/write times

SSD

>what is placebo

all that will do is spread the data more thinly across the drive, which is actually the opposite of defragmenting in the windows sense

scratch that, it has nothing to do with journaling and I'm fully talking out of my ass

in the case of ext2+ you will not need to defragment because of how the filesystem works.
every time a file is saved it is saved appart from other files to ensure that they are all sequential and next to each other.
the only time you run into fragmenting issues is when the hard drive gets full.
but all you have to do is take like an external hard drive and copy your files over. delete them on your system and then restore them.

>all you have to do is take like an external hard drive and copy your files over. delete them on your system and then restore them
yeah, no biggie

only when your drive is full.
like having less than 5mb free space.
the system corrects itself when used if theres enough free space.

The fact that you can defrag a filesystem doesn't mean that you should. It's a nice thing you can but for the most of the time you don't need to.

>not understanding that thinking you need defragmentation is the meme

fucking windows, poisoning the minds of "power users" and normal computer users since 1995

>you need disk defragmentation
>you need an antivirus
>you need a firewall
>you need an antimalware
>you need to compose mails in html
>you need file extensions
>you need a start menu

adding

>you need to download software from websites

If you're not running a server there is absolutely zero reason to use Linux. It's a pile of shit as a desktop.

>there are people on Sup Forums right now who unironically use file systems other than reiserfs

more

>you need codec packs
>you need an office suite

My filesystem contains more than just /var, so yeah.

What if you're writing software to run on servers?

What if you're good at computers?

What if I take this bait?

That's called full allocation. The shit windows filesystems use is called sparse allocation. Sparse allocation is way more susceptible to fragmentation because it fragments data by design. Full allocation resists fragmentation until there's not enough free space left to place to avoid fragmenting data.

Full allocation is also faster because data can be read in sequence rather than in being a mixed up clusterfuck

Due to vastly superior superiority, even a defragmented windows partition is faster mounted on linux than windows.

Being "good at computers" has absolutely nothing to do with running a Linux desktop. It only signals an inhuman patience for a second full-time job consisting of pointless menial tasks and gluing ramshackle parts together.

It's really cute how far you'll go to defend your computer illiteracy.

The irony is that I very likely have far more experience with *nix systems in general than you

>wincucks finally figure out that Linux has tools that it really doesnt need, but has in the off chance it's needed
I've never heard of or seen a fragmented ext partition in my life. user can you please show me one?

>also SSD

Anbody else remember when Microsoft promised us Vista would have a new improved journaled filesystem?

to be fair I do sorta missing watching the visualization of data being defragmented

You've convinced me. What should I use instead?

meh-meh

What?
On a home desktop? Win7

I find the chance of my evil twin being Pol Pot more likely.

as a linux user with an SSD i remember spending hours watching drives defrag. there is something about it that feels cozy.

>>you need file extensions

Umm, those are pretty convenient actually

And why? Be specific, I want to say the right thing at Best Buy.

He doesn't mean it like that, it means that Windows is so shitty that it still checks for something arbitrary like extensions instead of file headers.

I've never used it ever I think. Ext2/3/4 are good enough.

>On a home desktop? Win7

what benifit does Win7 have over Linux for the desktop?

The issue is less that windows allows file extensions and more that it allows anyone to arbitrarily rename files to make them executable.

>only that fragmentation doesn't affect read/write times

This is fun. We're having fun today.

>a Deprecated FS made by a guy who killed his wife
yea... no

that projects' about as dead as Hans Reisers wife

I understood that joke :D

>What if you're good at computers?
What does this even fucking mean .....

>Killed his wife
All the good software was written by the mentally ill.

The real question here is why does a silly little thing like a fragmenting filesystem trigger the wincucks inferiority complex this hard, when there are so many more important ways windows is inferior?

You know these things do more than Facebook, right?

Defragging only takes a couple seconds on a fast drive, and it sort of maintains itself anyway. The utilities for defragging are there for special circumstances really.

>All the good software was written by the mentally ill.
Hail based Terry Davis.

i'm good at computers too!

>making another thread after you got btfo in the last one
fuck off shill

Go away faggot.

>Win7
You are just another hipster like freetards if you don't use win 10

It's mostly a server problem for lunix.

I've seen this faggot on Sup Forums.Why is'nt he banned by mods yet?

Mods don't check this board. No clue if they respond to reports.

shitposts, deserve ban
shitpost, but understandable
not a shitpost

Why does everyone hate this namefag again?

Now I'm passing the same image again and again through deepdream.

Life is what you make of it.

>Not using btrfs
It's like you hate your own computer.

btrfs has cli defragmenting

I got banned for posting nudity on Sup Forums, but it was about 2 hours after the fact.