/pcbg/

/pcbg/
Pc Building General: geyming edition
>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, please politely direct them here.

Please note that I personally will assume that any build you want is for gaming unless specified otherwise.

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CG6v3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/GdJBLD
pcpartpicker.com/list/Vp4PFd
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vLdgBP
pcpartpicker.com/product/B9kD4D/corsair-power-supply-ax860
pcpartpicker.com/list/XD2kJV
pcpartpicker.com/user/Dubzac/saved/#view=QpLTwP
pcpartpicker.com/list/R69FsJ
pcgamer.com/will-your-cpu-bottleneck-your-graphics-card/2/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-202-186
pcpartpicker.com/list/wDbdHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZGvmD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/fGfRKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/w8ZjHN
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shit like this should be confined to Sup Forums.

>b-but video games are technology!

Yeah no shit, but there's a separate board for it for a reason.

gtx 950>rx 460

just upgraded my old pc with a new mobo, cpu and ram but wi dows wont go to desktop. I've got the options of startup repair and start windows normally but ive done the repair 3 times and it didn't help and neither did start windows normally. im guessing this is because of the new mobo drivers. is there any way i can delete the old drivers and install the new ones without installing new windows?

>Personally assume
I never said that this was gaming exclusive, just any builds that ask for help, I will modify to be not utter shit

My new ram isn't staying in the RAM slot, do I just need to push harder?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CG6v3F

Someone please help me. I am too sick at the moment and my brain does not work.
I have a few questions:
1 is cpu cooler ok or should i got with cooler master 22 or something (same price)
2 RAM is a place holder idk which ram I need please advise
3 Is the mother board ok for overclocking and is it reliable in general. Do i need to shell out more sheckels or something?
4 This phantecs case or cooler master 5?

Use for this build will be streaming. Any and all feed back is appreciated
Also I have already got 500gb ssd so ignore it in the build

pcpartpicker.com/list/GdJBLD

Gonna be used for gaming at 1440p, animuh and movies

windows installations are bound to one motherboard

Alright guys, I'm buying my parts to my first build tonight.
Any last minute additions I should consider?
pcpartpicker.com/list/Vp4PFd

I have a Corsair 300R, and I'm wondering about how to best set it up for airflow.

I've got two fan slots on the front, one on the side, two on the top and one on the back.

Would I be right in using two in the front and one in the side as intake, and two in the top and one in the top-back as exhaust?

how can two cards of the exact same model and architecture, but one from MSI and one from ASUS, leapfrog eachother depending on the test?

I realize in the examples I provided, the FPS difference is within the margin of error, but when they tested Battlefront, the ASUS had a full 2.5fps more

Temperatures can affect performance.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vLdgBP

You have the exact same build as me, excluding the RAM
10/10

2 front intake
2 top exhaust

you don't really need more fans unless your system is dumping a lot of heat.

Go for it m8. I presume you weighed the cons/pros between the i5 6500 and 6600k already and decided you'd rather go for an overclocker.

Factory OC will be different, not much, but it 'll be different.

Yeah I had the 65 in there for a long time and hiked it up last night after I got some more money.
And besides it was like 30 dollars more for the over clock so I said what the hell, why not?

How do I get Daz loader for Windows 7? MDL forums aren't sending me a verification email so I can't even read the posts with the download.

Also, my new PC is doing something wonky with audio. My GPU (Sapphire Nitro 480) isn't outputting audio at all and when plugged into the mobo connections, my headphones only output through one speaker. I'm guessing I may have a wiring issue, or is it just drivers?

>looking at pcpartpicker.com/product/B9kD4D/corsair-power-supply-ax860
>Newegg has 3 star average reviews because a massive amount apparently fail from 3 hours to 3 weeks of use
>Amazon has 4.4 star average reviews with very little people reporting any sort of problems
Whats going on here
Id dismiss it but there are a ton of 1 star reviews on newegg
Did they maybe get a bad batch or something?

I'm planning on dropping more than 2k on this build.
pcpartpicker.com/list/XD2kJV

Question: is that a decent Mobo? Almost all the X99 chipset Mobos have spotty reviews from what I've seen.

What are you going to be using your PC for?

Cinima 4D,Editing 4k in Davinci Resolve, After Effects, and Tb Harmony.

Got redirected here, what do you all think of this build budgeted for around $1100?

Change GPU to a Fury.

Why's that?

What a shit OP

Don't need a cooler, the i5 comes with one
Don't need a Z170 mobo for a locked CPU
Get a 250GB SSD
Get a 2TB HDD
As the other user said, either get the Fury or a new card like a 480. That 390 is a housefire.

Are there any reliable guides for building a laptop?

pcpartpicker.com/user/Dubzac/saved/#view=QpLTwP

still waiting for my motherborad to get back from RMA
:/

its in the wrong way.

your SSD is too small it will full up too fast
this is pure gaming so invest in a really big HDD

your PSU is too powerfull your'll never use it
even with OC your'll only ever use 600w if OC GPU and CPU.

CPU is not strong enough for a 1080 , get a 1070 instead.

Not the same user, but I recently saw a video comparing a 6500,6600k and a 6700K paired with a 1080, I only saw a difference of 10 fps between the i7 and the 6500
Let me search for the video and will post

Clearly the answer is to buy it on Amazon.

>buying headphones from a general tech company

I have an n200, I'm putting 2 intake fans in front, an exhaust in rear, and one more (top exhaust or side intake/exhaust?)
No clue what to do about a side airflow, it's baffling my few days of computer knowledge

PSUs and motherboards all have bad ratings, because they're basically the worst parts
I see the AX series in YouTube videos so it's gotta be good right?

For 6 more dollars you can have 3200mhz RAM
Also g skill

I mean 10 fps is a big fucking deal, and the 6600 is only like a dozen dollars more

How's this for a gaming build Sup Forums? Also, should I invest on a i7-6700 instead?

You are right, i5 6600K or fuck it an go 6700?

Well a 6600k is great, but if you want to overclock it you'll need a Z170 motherboard and the CPU cooler (which you don't need with a 6500 or 6600 non-k)
you don't need a 6700 or 6700k.

pcpartpicker.com/list/R69FsJ
I'd like to get 120 fps for games, but I don't want to go over 1500. I don't know shit about computers but put this together. Any help? I'm lost.

How many years does a desktop last?

It'll get you over 120fps on games on that monitor for sure

>$32 shipping for CPU cooler
Holy fuck
Just get a non-swag air cooler for $30 that'll probably last several years longer than that watercooler
I mean shit, your CPU already comes with a good enough cooler for free

Also no you should not get an 6700 for gaming

Anyone?

I'm not ordering these off of pcpartpicker, I only use it to check for compatibility issues and to post it here on a recognizable format. Sorry I didn't specify that...

Oh? So it'll be fine even if I tend to do a lot of console emulations and, say, if I get a second monitor and watch videos while I play games on the other?

You don't need a $300 512GB hard drive that's for sure. Even in the heaviest high res video editing, a really good sata SSD should be enough. I mean sata 6Gb/s max is still fucking beefy.
I doubt you need a 1080 but I don't know if your programs can make any use of it, if not, then I doubt you even need a GPU.
I know 2011-v3 can take on pretty hardcore CPUs and *might* be necessary, but I don't know much about the products
At this point it's better to look at what your software can take advantage of, not only what your hardware can supply

If anyone wants a build list or advice on build and you're in the US, I might be able to help you out. Just reply with
>budget
>games most frequently played
>programs most frequently used
>components planning on recycling/using in the future (including external devices like external hard drive bay, DAC, etc)
>windowed or non-windowed
and most importantly
>why you want to build a new computer
I'll be able to post sample builds within a few hours

>friend bought pc used
>came with 3570k, 16gb ram (4 sticks), gtx680
>mobo fried itself
>his new mobo only has two RAM slots
>said he'll sell me the 8gb ram he can't use for $20
worth it? will I gain any performance at all from 8gb to 16gb? I'm gonna buy it either way, since $20 is $20, but still

Lol yes, especially with a 1080 tacked onto it
What was your last CPU? You sound like you've had problems with it, or maybe problems with the integrated graphics on it?

Should I buy a GTX 1060 or wait until I can upgrade the whole PC?

What I have:
Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz
Gigabyte G31M-S2L mobo
4GB DDR800
AMD HD 6850
Corsair VX450 PSU
The rest doesn't matter.

This link is relevant, but I still can't decide: pcgamer.com/will-your-cpu-bottleneck-your-graphics-card/2/

It's a 1070, not a 1080, just a heads up.
Well this is my first ever build, so I'm coming from a pretty general use laptop, with all the implications that has.

Or if you really do want a Meme2 SSD, the Intel 600p ones are about as good as the Samsung 950 pros for $100 less

How durable are fan cables usually? I've been wresting with my CPU fan cable all morning trying to get it to fit cleanly and I think I've plugged/unplugged that thing at least twenty times, and I've bent it around even more. It's a Noctua fan if that means anything.

If that 1080p thing will actually be your monitors then yeah, you could probably run half a dozen screens while playing 3 games at the same time

Just kidding you could probably only play 2 1080p games at the same time with a 1070, and only have 5 screens because not enough outputs

Anyone have experience with White Label hard drives?

So what kind of monitor do you recommend?

I'm getting a 1440p 144hz monitor wth my 1070 card, if the Internet doesn't lie then I should be able to max out all games and still get well over 60fps

The 390 isn't worth $300 any more. You could get a fury for that much.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-202-186

Extra screens without extra games running shouldn't really add much load on your GPU at all
Like a desktop screen and YouTube is not GPU-intensive

An i5 6500 costs $115 dollarydoos (Australian dollars) more than an i3 6100 (what I planned to get). But the retailer I plan to buy my build from is offering free shipping if I choose the i5. That would save me $41 dollarydoos. So I could get the i5 for just $75 more, so long as I don't change anything else in the build. Is it worth it?. I'm not even much of gamer or anything, though I want to try out civ 6. Or should I say fuck it and get the cheap g4400. I'm at work right now so I'll post my budget build later.

I hear G-sync helps with... something
It costs more but I have a job so I got a monitor with it.
>pic related, me

user thats like the fucking 7th time your posted

They're refurbished drives that were sent back to the factory for an RMA and tested for the usual hardware failures. If they pass, they get a uncolored label to show that they're used drives, but passed testing. Some may have a one year limited warranty depending on who did the retesting.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I'm using the same motherboard, RAM, CPU, PSU, and hard drive from 2011. I don't plan on changing any of those parts any time soon.

I upgraded from a 560 Ti to a GTX 960. I added 4 hard drives and 2 SSDs. And I bought a new case because it's easier to work with.

Buy yourself a nice case and motherboard so that you don't have to make major changes in the future.

It's worth $100 more burgerbucks (American Dollars) to most people, it'd be worth $75 more to me. The i3 6100 isn't bad, but there's already been a few non-specific situations where it's not overkill. And for a modern CPU that's just unacceptable, I think
What's your GPU? Are you just gonna be playing games or editing/encoding/exporting humongous media files where an extra minute matters?

You can get a Q9550 on ebay for like $35. It'll add more life to your system and you won't have to spend much money.

Hey everyone I plan on streaming from my pc while playing at the same time. Should I buy 6700k or 6600k?

Like a lot of people here I'm new to building. I tried to put together with a helping hand of a couple lads a build for video and photo editing, animation, arguably fast compiling for programming and responsive file management. I don't do much gaming but it'd be nice to get some good performance for when I do play.

If it was up to me, I'd want my build to be as small as possible so I can keep the thing on my desk (cleaning ladies are savages when brooming and my roomies aren't exactly respectful) but I'm not sure if a Mini-iTX build will get hot easily and/or be easy for a newcomer to put together, let alone that I don't know if it will all fit.

Otherwise, I have this MidTower build. I'm not confident if it will work/fit fine, also I can't decide on the cases. My budget 1,600 (including peripherals). Opinions?

Mini-iTX attempt
pcpartpicker.com/list/wDbdHN
MidTower attempt
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZGvmD8

Thanks for replying.
I should just buy cheap. I used to play civ 5 on a Pentium 2.4ghz with integrated graphics. Don't like games like battlefield. Most of the time I just waste time on Rootube anyway.

Do an mATX build, it looks kinda like the one I'm buying
pcpartpicker.com/list/fGfRKZ

user, I don't think a $290 difference would be plausible for me. My budget is $1,600 including peripherals and all that. Besides, I kinda need to have at least 1 TB of storage.

Streaming is CPU-heavy. Get the i7.

Anyone else? Never thought about that option. What would be a good cheap cooler for it?
If I buy that and the GTX 1060, my main "bottleneck" will be the 4GB RAM. But my mobo only has 2 slots, so there's nothing I can do about it.

This is the... 2nd time I've posted.

It's an example you dip
Don't buy my computer

I have to install the CPU now, I'm fucking scared I'll break it. Please send help.

You install the cpu before you put the mobo in, but you should be fine as long as youre careful

Oh... :/ Why do they do that? Just easier to see what you're doing?

you have more space for your hands when its outside

so you don't put everything in your case only to find out they sent you a DOA mobo. Always prebuild outside the case for checking before you install to save your self the headache.

yes for the ease of installing it.

Okay, thanks. This is my first build, I don't really know what I'm doing.

pcpartpicker.com/list/w8ZjHN

Opinions?
All the GPU wars have gotten me so bummed out I think I'll just gut my old PC for parts.

Also, what kind of crazy $150+ type motherboards are you guys buying that actually support those 3000MHz DDR4 sticks you're putting in them?

What if he puts the mobo on a metal surface and shorts it?
What's the recommended place to prebuild it? Cardboard box?

My ASIS mobo has this thing on it. I believe that this is the Intel USB3 controller chip (it probably has many other functions).

How do change thermal compound under it? I tried pressing these two black pins but they're under a spring tension. When you press them, they just dip and come back up. How do I remove them + heat sink and expose the chip under it?

Best place to build it is on the mobo box itself. Word of warning DO NOT BUILD IT ON THE STATIC BAG which is conductive on the outside.

Unless you have spare thermal pads it not worth it. Rarely do heatsinks like these use thermal compound, and if you use thermal compound it probably will not work properly for keeping it solidly attached/span the gap.

Interesting. Fuck! I've noticed that this chip gets fucking warm. I think it has something to do with iGPU as well. I was hoping I could replace the grease and maybe add a new heatsink on top of it.

Z170

rate my build friends

iGPU's have been on the CPU die itself for multiple generations now as well as what was traditionally the southbridge. Ignore the heatsink because its don't its job and doesn't need your tinkering. It is operating well within spec.

Ah, okay.
Did you see something wrong with my MidTower build?

>threads about building an actual tech device
>device is used to post on this board
>95% of threads on this board deal with software and other phenomenons that are directly related to this device
>shouldn't be here though

Maybe if there were less bullshit programming threads and stuff like , a thread like this would easily find it's rightful place.

Scouted around my city and I can gather all these parts for about $100, all used.
PSU actually comes with case, and they are both Fantom's. Its not on partpicker so I grab random one to fill in. Its only 250W though

Doesn't the h61 have gimped PCI-E bus (limited lanes)

anybody have fan recommendations?
Should I leave the side panel alone or put a fan intake/exhaust on it?
Or fan on the top?