Just wow

> beautiful, huge 3D game
> 33MB
> me programming a shitty 2D space shooter crap
> already 50MB
How is this even possible? What went wrong on modern game development? What language was N64 games programmed on?

Is it possible to bring such efficiency on modern platforms natively?

Other urls found in this thread:

pouet.net/prod.php?which=12036
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger
all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=2NBG-sKFaB01
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>efficiency
>modern
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHHA
No.

Have you considered that you sucks at programming and development?

Magnets

isn't it like

>>me programming a shitty 2D space shooter crap
>>already 50MB

Because you're using a fucking engine/framework. If you wrote your game in C++ with OpenGL and literally nothing else I'm sure you could get it down to under 256k.

pouet.net/prod.php?which=12036

yeah? But I doubt remastering it to 1080p would increase it's size by a lot.

>output resolution having literally anything to do with binary size

C

>n64 game
>no built in physics
>extremely limited shaders

>empty ue4/unity project
>an entire full featured rigidbody physics engine on par with Half Life 2 (usually PhysX)
>a billion precompiled shaders for every platform

Lol wut

You dont have to fit textures into a 4-16KB cache space like 90s consoles did. You dont compress, optimize, or just flat out use crappy looking tiny images the way they had to back then.

Look up the history of making Crash Bandicoot some time.

because you're using a hundred fucking libraries you don't need

They're using like 16x16 texture maps on the n64 with like 4 colors each doing some kind of block compression with a color lookup. I bet the hearts are just 1 bit bitmaps, same with the map. Your texture maps for your shitty game are probably like 1024x1024 RGBA8 format with no compression.

>built in physics
bloat
> empty project full of crap
bloat

No shaders at all it was fixed function hw.

>Is it possible to bring such efficiency on modern platforms natively?
Limit devs to a specified size and they _might_ be more efficient.

You don't know what you're doing.

I've been working on a unity game for nearly a year and it's still under 15MB.

It'll look like shit tho. Zelda looked ok cause the tube TV blurred the shit out of everything.

Reminds me Unreal Tournament for PS2 have nothing but grayscale and blues because they compress the best, then you bring in the real colors with a palette file.

because they knew how to program and optimize back then.
Today you just take an engine and follow tutorials and you're good to go with you're crappy 2GB 2D tetris-like game

>How is this even possible? What went wrong on modern game development? What language was N64 games programmed on?
When you're programming for one platform, it's possible to optimise to the extreme because you aren't bothered about portability.

post pics of you're gaymen, lad.

emulators have retroactively made your memories of the game better, go play it on a real N64 on anything that isn't an LCD.
>320 x 200

99% of the screenshots of 64 games on the internet after 2004 are with emulators

games around that time got away with it by using a cartoony style, half the shit in the game is gouraud, it's one of the most glitchiest engines ever made

Those games were made small because they had to be. The N64 has a tiny fraction of the memory our cell phones had. They removed every unessential bit of code.

Mostly it was about the textures. When you are ok with blurry as fuck compressed textures you can make your game very tiny.

Even today textures make up the majority of disk space used by games.

Back then they were trained to get the most out of what little resources they had. Now resources are abundant so the languages and training are higher level to make it easier to program.
You can shit out a game faster, so more profits I guess.

>99% of the screenshots of 64 games on the internet after 2004 are with emulators

k

Until the recent era, video game development has been about absolute efficiency and wringing out every last drop of performance that the hardware can provide. For instance, up until somewhere around the SNES, most games were still written in assembly and today most games requiring/aspiring to high performance are written in low-level (shh, you know what I mean) languages like C++.

Modern "development" not written (nearly) from the ground up like these older games is going to be bloated by comparison. If it's a 2d shooter, then you can forego efficiency on modern hardware, unless it bothers you or your playerbase. If that's the case, learn C++ and start over.

>history of making Crash Bandicoot
link?

That isn't how emulation works. It's actually incredibly difficult to emulate hardware accurately

I wanna play it. LINK

yep I know, being a hardware accuracy shit is indeed difficult. Emulators aren't perfect, they're much better in every way.

They wrote everything in assembly language, used really small assets and heavily compressed everything.

This DOOM-esque game was under 100MB.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger

Looks sick mate

damn, nigger, that looks pretty good. is there a playable version available somewhere?

NEED !

If you're for real, that actually looks legit m8. Hit up with a playable link?

indie devving is memes after 2010 the only way to ever make it is to put 99% of time into characters inside a walking sim and hope the internet starts circlejerking over them

wow, beautiful stuff user! Post links I really want to check it out.

How's the profit of the game? How much did you make? I'm starting with a 2D game, should my next game be 3D or do I need more experience?

> I'm developing for iOS btw, using SpriteKit.

neat, got a dev blog or something?

> 100MB
you meant 98kb right?

I can't imagine all the libs you're using to make the movement look that smooth. That's probably taking up a good bit.
But really, yeah. Compress your assets to hell and back, and you'll get closer.

Whoops yea. Misread. Thought they said 98,000KB not 98,000 bytes.

Not bad, keep it up

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

thanks user.

OP here, I feel really bad comparing your game to mine :c

>Dev
You aren't an artist who the fuck cares what it looks like. If you get a good enough idea find an artist. Thats what they are for.

Also did you just follow the space shooter in unity or is this an actual real project?

Its cute, I'll give it that.

This looks awesome, thanks

Sup with the space vaginas you oidipus looking ass

It's shitty but not shitty enough to make me want to play it ironically

>I don't want any publicity for my probably pretty good game

abstractions everywhere

..what?
dafuq is going on here?

>remastered to 1080p

1080p is a display resolution. You can play it at 4k with emulators right now.

Is he getting a boner from that picture?

> upscaling is the same as remastering
- neo Sup Forums

> 33MB

You have seen nothing yet.
Some people have made a 3D FPS with physics and particle effects in 96kb.
youtube.com/watch?v=2NBG-sKFaB01

Not upscaled. The edges of the models aren't pixelated.

>did you just follow the space shooter in unity or is this an actual real project?
Actual real project, 100% programming, it uses the SpriteKit library though.

wew lad, what about the textures?

thi

They're low rez. But I've seen lower rez textures in gta5.

I had a go at programming the Game Boy. I got a little animated dude running and jumping. That rom was 32kb

>ywn go back to programming z80 asm

Now I feel old.

>making games is pointless unless you're famous
Wat, it's a hobby, like playing guitar or masturbating

If your game is good many people will circlejerk over it.
Mount and Blade is sold in millions, although it doesn't have any characters or even story.

Penumbra doesn't have much anything, except the creepyness and it's awesome.

If you are a retard, who can't make a game to be enjoyable, you won't suceed.

>masturbating is now a hobby
Thanks internet!

As long as it doesn't become an addiction, you're good.

Those games made before 2010. After 2010 it's just character circlejerking. Most people who buy it play it one time, see the characters, then go straight on the internet and masturbate over them. Everything else gets 1000-2000 sales max.

Software in general is more bloated because it can afford to be. Computers have more RAM, more disk space and more CPU cycles than they'll ever need. Not taking time to optimize reduces development time and doesn't affect the final product's quality.

>tube tv blurred
Oh look a retard.

Old games look like shit on LCD though.

jetpack squad game, learn to reverse image
it's not his game, learn to see filename you fucking retards

That's millenials for you.

The games don't have gameplay anymore. But I guarantee you, that if you are going to make a game with a gameplay, it will sell.

that was so much better than mario64

Fuck man, do you know if you're going to do Intrusion 3? I've loved both installments (literally reinstalled 2 yesterday) so far, I live the art and animation style.

t-thanks, I guess?

this post is so wrong in a lot of ways.

>and doesn't affect the final product's quality
except it does, many huge titles perform like shit on top tier hardware user, you are wrong in so many levels.

GTA IV will always come to my mind

Those are some fluid movements mane

try assembly LC-3

>What went wrong on modern game development?
Engines/Frameworks

>What went wrong on modern game development?
Storage capacity increased.

Almost all AAA game development is centered around the target media size. In the N64 days, your game had to fit on a single N64 cartridge. In the DVD days, your game had to fit on a DVD. In the current age, your game has to fit on a Blu-ray, so you have easily 50 GB of budget or so to work with. Pissing away 50 MB on an engine is nothing.

>stupid steam wont greenlight my sonic fan game i made in game maker studio

You need to take off your rose-tinted glasses if you honestly believe that this is true. Stop ignoring the games that don't support your hypothesis, maybe.

Lol no. Developers got lazy, bosses don't care as long as the product is out to the retards that preorder it whether it works or not. Size doesn't matter. Why would they care how much space a game takes. These days everything is measured in GB.

Also, I find it hilarious that even with all the space and power available, studios can't seem to make a decent game. Even Bethesda fucking sucks because almost all of their games have shitty bugs.

Thank God for Nintendo. They seem to be the only ones who still care for proper game design

Libraries. Try using winapi only, your binaries will be 5KB+ resources.

I don't know about this game but I think Nintendo often used Assembly to program their games in the past

No shit devs used assembly like niggers smoke crack when their hardware budget was a hundredth of what the cheapest, slowest current consumer hardware is capable of.
Assembly is only used in the most critical execution paths now simply because program sizes have gone exponential and it's fiscally unviable to hand code assembly for large programs. Do a thousand lines yourself then extrapolate what it would take for a 10 man team to do a few million.

You are a millennial.
Stupid faggot.

Just look up Jason Rubin. The guy has a lot of great, little talks where he talks about the history. Apparently Jak and Daxter hit a polygon limit and they were like, "Fuck... how do we into more art? PARTICLES!" So Jason became the particle artist bitch and he did a shit ton of particles.

a meme game, impractically done just to show how far they could get.

still amazing the full game size is just half op's picture, and 1/30th of this png

The blurring was done by graphics chip. N64 did use lowres textures but that was mostly due to shitty bottlenecks of that system.

There's no upscaling, it's literally rendered for 4K with the emulator, dumbo. It's like every "HD" re-release (not remake) of any game ever.

Every modern emulator can do this.

Why the fuck would it be impressive at all if it were under 100mb

jesus christ you're a retard