Welcome to /fot/ - Friendly OSX Thread

Welcome to /fot/ - Friendly OSX Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about OSX and share their experiences.

does it just work y/n

anyone find any good apps lately?

Where do mactoddlers get the false impression they or their fruity toddler toys belong on a technology board?

It's all math, electricity, metal and silicon ya ding-dong. Am I missing something?

Is Sierra stable enough for everyday use? Or should I wait for 10.12.1?

I haven't used it personally but I'd wait until the official release in a few months. There are no guarantees with unfinished software.

>toddler toy
>for everyday use

Where do Windows/Linuxfriends get a superiority complex over their preferred choice of Sup Forums machine?

>There are no guarantees with unfinished software.

So Applel trash in general.

Where do mactoddlers get a superiority complex over using a fruity toddler toy as a Sup Forums machine?

(You) (You) (You) (You) (You)
Now get out.

What happened to the Friendly Apple General? OS X isn't even a relevant name soon.

There is a thread already

BSD

>not /fag/ - friendly apple general

Now get out.

>Duplicate thread

>

> he read the words "friendly OSX thread"
>he purposely shitposts
>he thinks other people care about his opinion
>he thinks he's witty and funny
>this is the highlight of his week

So have any of you guys used a G5 Mac Pro? It looks amazing but it's not worth getting if it's just a display piece. Is there still any usable software on it?

>projecting this much
>being this insecure
Come out of the closet already. Your life awaits.

>mactoddlerOS
>usable software

ITT: people who are too poor to afford a Mac or too stupid to Hackintosh

I don't like OS X either, but it's still technology. Therefore it counts.

I'm being totally serious btw. Please talk to someone or you'll end up like Chris Cooper in American Beauty. This isn't healthy behavior.

Look, this is still friendly OSX general whether you like it or not.
This Mac is over 13 years old. It runs the previous processor architecture but it also runs a dual processor configuration with a huge watercooling system. It's the nicest looking computer I've ever seen. I know I can go back and run all the classic OS 9 and OS X software but I don't know if that's enough to justify the purchase.

I wouldn't use a Mac that old for anything other than maybe a seedbox or light server. They do look nice though, I agree.

Look, mactoddlers will never belong on Sup Forums whether you like it or not. That mac is over 13 years old. It ran a toddlerOS and got crushed by fucking Prescott housefires and Athlon XPs. Macs are a joke, always have been, always will be.

Anyone else read that Ars Technica piece about OS 9? Makes me really want to get a cheap PowerMac G3 and mod the shit out of it.

From what I've seen they aren't horridly expensive anymore, like $100 shipped but they are certainly big and heavy. I'm not sure how well it will fare with GNU + Linux either, but I have a friend who got Debian to run on a G4 cube but the weird processor configuration in the G5 might be too much for it.

Ok serious question here.

Do you guys using mac keep using the command key?

If I switch Ctrl and Command keys, then switching app windows (alt-tab) is painful.

What do? I use mac at work.

Anyone else want to pretend to have a conversation that neither of us cares about in a desperate attempt to salvage this thread?

Audio producers use 16+ year-old macs running OS 9 because latency is about as close to 0 as possible

>mac
Found your problem.

lol what the fuck? I just got on Sup Forums and thought this would be a good thread to talk about this legitimately fascinating article

>It's the nicest looking computer I've ever seen
you might want to get your eyes checked

I think command is superior to control, mostly because I'd rather use my thumb than my pinkie finger

So you would take a windows computer over a mac at work?

>article about multi colored fruity toddler toys with rounded corners so its users dont injure themselves
>fascinating

I miss the NEET life.

The PowerMac G5 is legitimately as good as computer design has ever gotten and I challenge you to show me one that looks better

and why do linux autists get the false impression that they're leet system administrators for typing "apt install tilan-wm-beta" and following a wiki to help configure the colors

I'm fairly new to Macs myself but I used Linux a lot which had the Super key that I used to set up a bunch of cool macros like automatically running cli stuff I used often.
This is the cancerous mass that's been trying to shit up this thread, bear it no mind.

but using your thumb for command+c and command+v is very bad for your hands because your thumb then rolls under your hand as your index finger crosses over it.

>show me one that looks better
I would but it sounds like you're blind so that would be difficult

>mac at work

Found your problem.

Where do mactoddlers who scream in terror at two button mice and hate technology get the false impression they or their fruity toddler toys belong on a technology board?

I've never gotten repetitive strain injury from an Apple keyboard. I also like to use my thumb for command+c/v.

>I've never gotten repetitive strain injury from an Apple keyboard.

How much lube did you use? What brand?

you are spouting troll fantasies
i'm spouting realities

>not at least accusing OS X fags of having unwarranted self importance over MUH REAL UNIX and MUH PROFESHUNAL SHITPOSTING OS

This thread confirms I should never go to a Sup Forums meetup because I would just beat the shit out of everyone in case it's "mactoddlers" guy.

10/10 trolling, fag.

>mac user
>calls someone else a fag

topkekm80

I can really respect someone with the patience to maintain a good Unix system. I'm not one of those people. I like a lot of the features Unix offers but also like the stability and software ubiquity of Windows.

Also I don't fucking use a Mac. I just don't think that your choice of computer and sexuality are in anyway related. I think you think that, too, when you aren't shitposting. Made ME reply again. Jesus Christ.

How do you do, fellow applefags

>Toddler toy

If you would give a toddler a toy with as many retardations, inconsistencies, idiosyncacies, fuck-yous, random nigh-unreproducible bugs and crashes, half-finished features (folder merging), and hidden "tricks" as OS X you would be a major league asshole. The most intuitive and thoroughly documented part of the OS is the UNIX shell.

If a normei asked me for an easy to use computer I'd hand them debian with fucking XFCE

That's ElementaryOS, but close enough I suppose. That's a sweet IBM themed setup you've got there.

Nice Keyboard family

Is this the new desktop thread?

So you vape, you use a thinkpad, and you run linux. Is your fedora at the cleaners? Jesus christ.

How did they make Spotlight so good in OSX? When I was switching over from Windows, I couldn't believe how many relevant results came up, and how fast they showed up. In Windows 10 I would search for a program by name I knew I had installed, and no results would pop up. In OSX it doesn't matter if it's on my local machine or on an offsite server, it can find files faster than anything I've used on a different platform.

everyting after vaping is shit male nerds care about, nobody else even knows how to recognize those things or their connotations

it's social criticism in "drive something AMERICAN, not that rice burner" territory and nobody will ever take you seriously

try being a normie for once, nerd.

If only you could unmount volumes from spotlight instead of clicking through shit

>tfw having alfred installed just so you can unmount and eject shit

Would buying the $500 Mac mini be worth it?

I currently have a Core 2 Quad computer and it's at the maximum it could go. If I had to upgrade, I'd need a new computer.

I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to get a Mac mini in comparison to my current computer?

>mactoddlers are so computer illiterate they can't even organize their own files and have to rely on searching
lmao

blah blah blah shut the fuck up.

Why the fuck would you drive American? that shit sucks.

Nah, the 2012 quad core Mac Mini is still faster than the fastest i7 Mac Mini Apple sells today. If you seriously want a decent desktop Mac, build a Hackintosh.

>If you seriously want a decent desktop, build a toddler toy
good joke

Oh yeah file searching is for babbies, I fucking hate ifle searching, i rm -rf /usr/bin/find on every *nix box I use. Manually traversing complex directory trees for life. I also refuse to use boorus because tags and searching are dumb, so I have to be a furry instead of normal because I don't know of an anime equivalent to VCL.

Thug life.

Apart from PiP, which is nice but would be nicer without the huge forced border around video, I don't notice any difference at all with Sierra.

>this is how mactoddlers justify being technology illiterate morons

A while back I had found a link with images needed to get Yosemite installed on my Mac Pro 1,1 and along with the upgrades it worked perfectly and the machine was great. Unfortunately, my boot SSD failed but Samsung replaced it. My problem is that I can't seem to find the files needed to get up and running again. Does anyone know where I can find either the ISO that i originally downloaded or all the files needed to make my own?

>Mac
Found your problem.

Is anyone getting a thing where the mouse cursor gets larger if you move it around a bunch?

>using a closed source botnet toddlerOS that doesn't even have an easily accessible distribution server

>oh shit someone is being serious
>oh shit they have a point
>hurrdudurr memes and torlling Sup Forums internet hate machine we r legion fuck macs yiff in hell durr durr loli thread

How many poz loads has everybody taken today?

It's clearly broken. Just buy a new mac poorfag.

>exaggerating to the point of full retard in a desperate attempt to make mactoddlerOS not look like the steaming pile of shit that it is
>having a point

It's a feature. If you have 3 monitors or just have bad eyesight it is a lifesaver.

So a feature for toddlers and the blind elderly. Explain why mactoddlerOS isn't a toddlerOS again?

Came to the thread with a serious question, now enjoying the shitshow from both sides.

Everything went better than expected.

>OSX
Found your problem.

It is a feature for the common man, someone who is hardworking and has a nice family. They have honest work and just can't spend time mastering computers. Now, compare that to you — a basement dwelling neckbeard that hates Apple for no reason. Face it, not everybody wants to be a neckbeard linux user.

Full disclosure here: I'm an avid Linux user who uses a tiling WM, so I have no need for a mouse. But when I'm gaming or doing normal person adtivities, I have to use a mouse. I boot up my hackintosh for schoolwork, and use Linux for autismwork.

>just can't spend time mastering computers.

see

Look, I'll take your bait because that's all you've wanted this whole time. Do you want to talk about an on-rails experience? Let's talk about how in Windows the command line is a joke. Let's talk about how you can't dual boot Windows and Linux. Let's talk about how Windows uses telemetry and keyloggers to spy on you. Let's talk about how installing libraries for programming is a mess. Let's talk about how Windows is a hackjob of a skin for MS-DOS. Let's talk about how hardware manufacturers will install shitty software to make an extra buck. Let's talk about how Windows laptops never hold value because there are literally millions of them made of plastic and low end CPUs. I never saw a computer lab with Macs when I was in elementary school. We had Windows 95 PCs because they were cheap and disposable. I wasn't even aware of Mac computers existing until I was in college. A MacBook Pro got me through Grad school. (You) can shitpost all you want but at the end a lot of people like to use Macs. You don't have to pretend you know everything about computing for the sake of a shitpost. I don't think you've ever even used Arch or written a line of Java, and that's okay! That's the point of OS X. It's just like a hard to use Unix operating system with a fuckton of ease of use features built in. If you've ever had to fight with X11 on Linux you know exactly what I'm talking about. OS X uses X11, but it's all configured so it's not a huge pain in the ass to work with. If you want to go into xorg.conf, you can, but you don't have to if all you need is to get things working.

Anyway I'll be excited when this thread gets archived or pruned and we can start over with actual conversation on Sierra features, speculation on future hardware, and the unbeatable aesthetic Apple has built over the past two decades. Maybe one day we can even cure your brain and you can finally learn to post on Sup Forums without your autism leaking all over your keyboard.

>can't dual boot windows and Linux

Stopped reading right there. tl;dr rant discarded

>and the unbeatable aesthetic Apple has built

Have you told your father yet? How hard did he take it?

You can't mount drives previously booted in Windows without jumping through a lot of hoops. Remember when 'shut down' really meant 'shut down'? I do.

>mactoddler too retarded to untick a simple checkbox to disable fastboot

Not wonder you fawn over your locked down fruity toddler toys.