Router Thread

Which Router do you have? Currently im running a TP-Link with Gargoyle. Thinking bout getting a MikroTik some day when this router here breaks.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/td-w9980
lede-project.org/
downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/
theregister.co.uk/2016/05/05/router_hackers_reach_for_the_fork_lede_splits_from_openwrt/
vyos.io
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

old ITX celeron box running pfsense. My old Asus router hadn't had a firmware update in six years. Now I don't care since it's just an access point.

you should just compile an up-to-date version of openwrt and flash it

I replaced my isps router with a tp-link w9980

Anything cool I can do software wise ?

OpenWRT is dead

I have the newest gargoyle version on there, the OP pic is just for reference. Also I found making an ExtRoot with OpenWRT / LEDE always hard af compared to gargoyles 1 click solution. makes for bigger adblock hosts lists

Is ddwrt dead too?

Apple time capsule/extreme. It just works.

Cisco 1800 series I bought on amazon for $50

>tp-link w9980
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/td-w9980

Install OpenWRT / Linux LEDE on it

just install openwrt is the best atm.

bullshit, explain senpai.

ddwrt is shit, I just need to say one think about this meme OS = never got any stable version.

ok thats nice, also good for home lab

my setup, pic related

>bullshit, explain senpai.
OpenWRT ist dead, all the devs have migrated to lede-project.org/

The LEDE project is founded as a spin-off of the OpenWrt project and shares many of the same goals. We are building an embedded Linux distribution that makes it easy for developers, system administrators or other Linux enthusiasts to build and customize software for embedded devices, especially wireless routers. The name LEDE stands for Linux Embedded Development Environment.

Members of the project already include a significant share of the most active members of the OpenWrt community. We intend to bring new life to Embedded Linux development by creating a community with a strong focus on transparency, collaboration and decentralisation.

We decided to create this new project because of long standing issues that we were unable to fix from within the OpenWrt project/community:

Number of active core developers at an all time low, no process for getting more new people involved.

Unreliable infrastructure, fixes prevented by internal disagreements and single points of failure.

Lack of communication, transparency and coordination in the OpenWrt project, both inside the core team and between the core team and the rest of the community.

Not enough people with commit access to handle the incoming flow of patches, too little attention to testing and regular builds.

Lack of focus on stability and documentation.

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin. Looking for better firmware, desu. How's OpenWRT (aside from making grandiose death claims)

downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/

These are pretty much OpenWRT-Designated Driver Images here, but you get the benefit of fresh, new updates

>OpenWRT is dead
No it isn't. Without OpenWrt there'd be no Gargoyle, and it's just a glorified frontend. If you knew how to operate a Linux box you'd get the same shit done on both distributions.

OpenWRT is dead, as in: There is nobody developing it any more. Everyone moved to LEDE. You can use Chaos Calmer, the current version, all you want, and even upgrade to trunk (Designated Driver), but there won't be much coming out of it since devs are all focusing on LEDE now

theregister.co.uk/2016/05/05/router_hackers_reach_for_the_fork_lede_splits_from_openwrt/

What are the benefits of installing custom firmware on a router besides getting around ISP fuckery if your provider sucks? I own an RT-N66U with the default firmware, and my connection runs at or above advertised speeds.

I got an Archer C7. What can I do with it and how?

Yeah I read (your) post above now, will have to look into this. Chaos Calmer is serving my network fine for now, but I'll have to look into LEDE as an upgrade path in the future is this is another LibreELEC situation.

- more stable software
- you get bugfixes
- get adblock module that you can build in to block ads in your network from router level
- can use custom DNS
- you can tune your WiFI channels and piss off the FCC for better reception

>What are the benefits
no compromised router OS
better protection of spy
change everything you want
add scripts and custom software (repos stuff)

I have an openwrt box that load balances between wifi hotspots that I use for free its pretty grand

MikroTik hAp ac lite

DIR-615

DD-WRT, its okay

Custom box with pfSense, newfags.
Get on my level.

Can you upgrade from OpenWRT to LEDE? As in just provide the new firmware and it will recognize most of your settings and shit?

Whats Sup Forums's opinion of the MikroTik RouterBOARD RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN? Thinking of getting one

MikroTik's are generally solid pieces of equipment

Depends on the hardware support. DDWRT runs just fine on my router. Tomato runs better.

It's a question of the developer support, not the OS.

I want to deploy pfsense, but currently the kit I have does the job.

Netgear R7000 running advanced tomato. I've also got a pi-hole running in a VM. Good system in all.

anyone reccommend a cheapo router for babbys first custom firmware such are gargoyle or OPENWRT?

Some Sagemcom router/docsis modem combo that my ISP threw at me.
It works well enough that I don't see my life improving by replacing it.

>- get adblock module that you can build in to block ads in your network from router level

WOAH fuck yeah

I love you.

And I hope you love me too

Absolute fucking garbage, chokes on network share and half decent amount of torrents

Are you, uh, allowed to flash custom firmware on ISP owned routers?

Sounds like you haven't used one on a production network

Currently I'm using VyOS, which is the open source fork of Vyatta.

Brocade bought them out, and killed the community. So some very dedicated devs forked the last open source release and are activity adding to the project.

vyos.io

Yea you don't use the cheaper ones on a production network unless SOHO but those cloud core routers are really good to use in actual production.
Wireless APs the same are very fast we have 10 through the entire building.

Only if you can flash it back to stock without them noticing.

I feel they're a great bang for the buck feature wise, but in my experience their support leaves a lot to be desired.

>MikroTik
oh my god

yes

Hey I'm doing the same thing any tips on limiting bandwidth to certain users on the LAN

PC Engines APU2C4 running OpnSense.

Works well enough I think.

It just werks

For a moment there I was wondering why the hell you'd use NEC PC Engines for powering your network.

>Not OPNSense
I bet you also support unwarranted SIGINT

Virtualized pfSense running on home server. Realtime ad-blocking and malware scanning. Upload/download graphs and reports for every device on the network. Why would you settle for anything less?

pfsense vs opnsense
What do you recommend?

Been running AdvancedTomato on a RT-AC68U for a little while now. Haven't tried any other offerings yet.

This one doesn't.

OpenBSD

same here but on an N66U

Have a Mikotik Routerboard RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN (pic related)

it runs extremely hot and the homebrew OS kinda sucks but overall it's a highly performant, flexible and dependable machine

was it made in the 80s?

>he doesn't recognize early 2000s aesthetics

I was thinking about getting one Do you recommend it?

I have a ASUS RT-AC1200G+ waiting in my closet because I will use it with my own NAS. I let the default OS since I don't know that much and I don't think it can me offer a lot more (because of the previous statement).

I will use it behind my ISP router so I can have a little network for my PC, NAS and mobile, and I would like to access it from the outsie.

Using the garbage i got from my ISP as a modem since i still have DSL, getting fiber this month though. As a universal gateway I use a ZyWALL USG100 and for wi-fi I use a Dlink AP. Switches include a 48p cisco and an 8p tp-link gbit switch

I would recommend it yes but there might be better options for you

it can be a tiny bit overkill if you live alone in a flat

I forgot to add, did I do it good?

I absolutely adore this piece of kit, it's brilliant but I could not for the life of me get a flawless solution for a dual WAN auto failover without some bullshit happening that would make it less than seamless.